Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Thinking about a newer radio.  (Read 3034 times)

ChuckB

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

Thinking about a newer radio.
« on: August 01, 2015, 11:53:40 PM »

My 2000 SE Road Glide radio w/cassette works fine, but I like the idea of having a CD player that also plays MP3 format.

I want to stick with a factory radio, although I know some will ask me "Why??" and go on to try to convince me to go aftermarket. ;D

Is it worth the cost to go with the Harman Kardon unit or should I just keep what I have and plug in an MP3 player to the aux input?

I read somewhere that the original unit that's in the bike now is better performance wise than the HK unit. (?)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Thinking about a newer radio.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 12:13:21 AM »

There are at least a couple of aftermarket radios that are plug and play installations.  Handlebar controls will work just fine if you want to go that way.  From what I've seen they are pricey though; and I'm still always a bit concerned about the longevity of what might be basically just car or even marine audio decks assembled in the larger form factor.

Having said that the HK units have had their share of issues.  They can be remedied though.  And the HK install is as easy as you could ask for.  It works well and bolts in directly.  Watch eBay for a non-functional core then send that core to IronCross Audio.  For a fair price they'll fix it, upgrade it and add any of a variety of bells and whistles to it for you.  Once it's back from IronCross you really can just install it and forget about it.

ChuckB

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 08:58:29 AM »

Thanks or the info.

I just missed out on one from a 2013 for 250.00 shipped. No hurry though, I will find a nice one sooner or later.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 10:09:51 AM »

Thanks or the info.

I just missed out on one from a 2013 for 250.00 shipped. No hurry though, I will find a nice one sooner or later.

I truly wouldn't worry about finding a "nice" one.  I'd just look for one that isn't physically beat up as I wouldn't install it without sending it to IronCross in any case.  They're repair/upgrade fee is a flat rate for almost all failures so there's no need to spend a lot more up front if you're lucky enough to find a failed unit for cheap.  Then, while the radio is at IronCross, you can have them add things like iPod connectors or bluetooth connectivity or rear aux ports or a few other options if any might be of benefit to you.

ChuckB

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 10:42:39 AM »

Thanks for more good advice. I just bought this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/252043137725, which was the nicest one for the price. I talked him down a little. I sure hope he packs it tight.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 11:28:02 AM »

Thanks for more good advice. I just bought this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/252043137725, which was the nicest one for the price. I talked him down a little. I sure hope he packs it tight.

...and the process begins :2vrolijk_21: .

You plan on just bolting it in and using it?  Or thinking about sending it to IronCross for improvement and/or upgrade?

ChuckB

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 11:50:42 AM »

For now, I think i'm just going to bolt it in for now.  Somewhere around here, I have a set of speakers off an '07.

I will try and compare the sound to my stock radio and keep one or the other.

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • What A Beautiful Mess I'm In......
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE Burgundy Blaze/Typhoon Maroon aka Mongo
    • CVO2: Gone:2005 FLHTCSE2 Cherry, Teal, 2006 FLHTCUSE Crimson
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 10:44:31 PM »

I thought you needed an overlay harness to get the HK to work in the pre 2006 bikes?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 11:06:51 PM »

I thought you needed an overlay harness to get the HK to work in the pre 2006 bikes?

Nope.  You need the overlay harness additionally if you want to add any of the extracurriculars like XM or iPod or any of the other possible factory additions.  But just to use the radio it is plug and play with one exception; the AVC won't work.  Even that can be defeated in a couple different ways.  On my way own I just turn the volume back down as I'm coming back in to a town after a stretch on the highway though.

The important qualifier is that you use a radio that's already been in another bike.  If you get a brand new unactivated radio you'll get a beep-beep-beep error sound in the background of everything you listen to.  But if it's a radio that has previously been used in another bike you are good to go.

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 09:45:30 AM »

Blue tooth?  Hmm. I didn't know they could do that.  I have the old HD Bluetooth brick that I moved from the TP where the dealer installed it into the fairing where I curse it every time I pull the fairing.  now I will need to investigate that offering before I send my 4th radio from HD to Iron Cross this fall.  To clarify, I was getting free replacement radios under ESP.  ESP has expired so this is now my dime so I will do it right and send it to Iron Cross.  I've never read better comments on an electronics company.

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 11:45:21 AM »

Blue tooth?  Hmm. I didn't know they could do that.  I have the old HD Bluetooth brick that I moved from the TP where the dealer installed it into the fairing where I curse it every time I pull the fairing.  now I will need to investigate that offering before I send my 4th radio from HD to Iron Cross this fall.  To clarify, I was getting free replacement radios under ESP.  ESP has expired so this is now my dime so I will do it right and send it to Iron Cross.  I've never read better comments on an electronics company.

Yeap; bluetooth:

http://www.ironcrossaudio.com/bluetoothmod.html

My timing was perfect there too.  I sent the radio I was intending to put in my Road Glide to them.  Had them do all the internal upgrades to make it more reliable and added the rear aux port and just a bit more.  Got the radio back.  Oh boy!  Let's install it Don!!  Pop off the fairing that weekend, install the radio, take the bike for a ride, come back in, happy boy happy boy.....

Then about a week later see new info here where they are just starting to offer the Bluetooth option.  Oh well.  Maybe a little winter project.

ChuckB

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 07:40:16 PM »

Nope.  You need the overlay harness additionally if you want to add any of the extracurriculars like XM or iPod or any of the other possible factory additions.  But just to use the radio it is plug and play with one exception; the AVC won't work.  Even that can be defeated in a couple different ways.  On my way own I just turn the volume back down as I'm coming back in to a town after a stretch on the highway though.

The important qualifier is that you use a radio that's already been in another bike.  If you get a brand new unactivated radio you'll get a beep-beep-beep error sound in the background of everything you listen to.  But if it's a radio that has previously been used in another bike you are good to go.

I though this was true. Thanks for confirming it! I don't need all the extras just yet. I will be happy with the basic radio.

ChuckB

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 10:17:00 PM »

Well, I came home today and my HK radio was waiting for me. Went out to the garage and put it it. Works great! I even got it to play some old scratchy MP3 disks!

Couple things I learned that might help others:

When you are sliding your old radio out, don't force it. If the rubber seal hangs up on the mounting box and you force it, you will crack the faceplate!  :oops:

The HK main connector is 180 degrees from the old radio.. don't worry though.. if you plug it in backwards, it's forgiving.  :oops:

Not that any of these things happened to me or anything like that!  ::)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 10:19:49 PM »

The HK main connector is 180 degrees from the old radio.. don't worry though.. if you plug it in backwards, it's forgiving.  :oops:

Not that any of these things happened to me or anything like that!  ::)

Had forgotten that.  Hope you had a buddy helping because turning the bike upside down long enough to get that connection made by yourself is a real bitch.

ChuckB

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 10:24:09 PM »

Had forgotten that.  Hope you had a buddy helping because turning the bike upside down long enough to get that connection made by yourself is a real bitch.

;D ;D

My buddy Budweiser was here.  :cucumber:
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 21 queries.