Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: New SE 110 Engine Build  (Read 12149 times)

Nickmusic

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH
Re: New SE 110 Engine Build
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2015, 09:42:36 PM »

Thanks for all the feedback, guys.  If I choose to let my engine builder proceed with the 64mm throttle body (instead of something smaller like most of you suggest), what will I notice when riding?  Too jumpy on the throttle response?  Poor fuel efficiency?  Just asking because I have no idea what to expect.   

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2015, 10:12:46 PM »

Yes yes and hard to tune

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2015, 12:34:50 AM »

Dude, seriously dont do it. All the advice you are getting is the real deal. Choose a reputable shop, better even if its one of the forum members youve been hearing from that own shops, and do the combos that are being suggested. You will end up with an engine with great low to mid end torque, that will tune properly. The combo your guy is suggesting is unusual and highly unorthodox, not mention excessively expensive, and will not perform the way you want a touring bike to perform. 
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2015, 07:06:30 AM »

Thanks for all the feedback, guys.  If I choose to let my engine builder proceed with the 64mm throttle body (instead of something smaller like most of you suggest), what will I notice when riding?  Too jumpy on the throttle response?  Poor fuel efficiency?  Just asking because I have no idea what to expect.

Right after you say to yourself,  "WTF is wrong with this thing?", you're gonna hear a small still voice say, "Dummy, you should have listened to those guys on the CVO Site."  There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2015, 09:22:44 AM »

your wallet will be lighter, and as I said a guy that has a basic kit with the proper items all working together will be faster than your mis- matched kit .. You seem to want to go with that kit as you still are not listening.. You want to find out if the bad habits it will have , will be ok and can you justify it..

Your builder should have explained all of this to you.. Best advice I can offer .. Simple find a new builder.. These kits are not that hard to get the right parts to work together.  Take me advice or dont ,, I get a dozen of these types a builds in each year to correct.. Some of the guys on here have been down this very road.  We are a shop that builds, tunes etc so we see the complete kit from start to finish..   IF you had a dyna that you wanted to street race then maybe you are on the right track with SOME of the parts
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

JoeVibe

• 1K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2022 CVO Road Glide Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 Titanium/Black FLHRSE6
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2015, 11:56:45 AM »

Nick,

Do yourself a favor and listen to what these guys are telling you. I was in basically the same position as you in 2014. I had 4,500 miles on my 13 Ultra and wanted more power so started looking around locally and didn't feel confident in anything I heard around home. (I used to drag race cars and knew how to make them go fast but didn't know anything about Harleys). Maybe you can discuss the things you're learning here with your local guy and get his feedback. For sure, get some references from past builds he's done and talk with those folks. In my case, I couldn't find three people who were happy with the local dyno tuners and IMO that's the most critical part of what you're getting into.

I PM'ed a couple guys on this site (whose opinions I respected based on posts I'd read from them) to get some advice. I ended up going with Steve @ GMR for my build. Steve and I talked about what I wanted as an end result and he told me how to get there. 11,000 trouble free miles later I still smile every time I crack the throttle and my riding buddies are still trying to figure out how the hell my bike moves like it does.

I know the thought of a road trip can be daunting but, take my word for it, it's worth the effort! I'll be making another run down there (as soon as I can get my "stuff" together) so Steve can do a little work  ::) on the Road King I bought a few weeks back.

Call or PM some of the builders on this site and talk one on one with them. You're about 3 hours further from GMR than I am and there may be a good performance builder closer to you, I'm not sure where they're all located.

Whatever you decide, do enough research to be confident in your choice so you can do it right the first time. Making these things go fast isn't cheap and having to do it twice, or having to settle for a less than optimum result, would suck. Good luck!

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2015, 04:02:28 PM »

It sounds like this HD tech believes you want maximum horsepower, since you asked him for a significant increase in power.  That would be fine if you were going to run only at the track at high RPM.

Check this: 
Do not be shocked if a guy on a 110 with a cam can pull away from you with ease.. That kit would need to see a high rpm number to be making any real tq.

For street riding, you need a build that develops torque at lower RPM.   Here's a suggestion:  Post a question asking for recommendations on a good builder; and, just as important, determine what you want from this bike.  Do you want something that is only usable at the track (all high RPM running) or do you want a bike that hauls a$$ from a stop and has plenty on tap for passing from 40 mph to 80 mph?  The people on this site know the difference between the two types of build, and the advice you've gotten here is right on target.

As for your question about the 64 mm TB, look at this another way:  Why would you want to go with the 64?  What are you going to gain with it, that you can't get with a smaller one, other than bragging rights?  And how will you feel when far cheaper builds leave you in the dust?

This HD tech and this build are just setting you up to spend big money---once for this build, and again when you take it somewhere to make it right.  The advice here will save you money and the hassle of a poor running bike that has to go into the shop to be rebuilt.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2015, 05:03:17 PM »

Nick,

Do yourself a favor and listen to what these guys are telling you. I was in basically the same position as you in 2014. I had 4,500 miles on my 13 Ultra and wanted more power so started looking around locally and didn't feel confident in anything I heard around home. (I used to drag race cars and knew how to make them go fast but didn't know anything about Harleys). Maybe you can discuss the things you're learning here with your local guy and get his feedback. For sure, get some references from past builds he's done and talk with those folks. In my case, I couldn't find three people who were happy with the local dyno tuners and IMO that's the most critical part of what you're getting into.

I PM'ed a couple guys on this site (whose opinions I respected based on posts I'd read from them) to get some advice. I ended up going with Steve @ GMR for my build. Steve and I talked about what I wanted as an end result and he told me how to get there. 11,000 trouble free miles later I still smile every time I crack the throttle and my riding buddies are still trying to figure out how the hell my bike moves like it does.

I know the thought of a road trip can be daunting but, take my word for it, it's worth the effort! I'll be making another run down there (as soon as I can get my "stuff" together) so Steve can do a little work  ::) on the Road King I bought a few weeks back.

Call or PM some of the builders on this site and talk one on one with them. You're about 3 hours further from GMR than I am and there may be a good performance builder closer to you, I'm not sure where they're all located.

Whatever you decide, do enough research to be confident in your choice so you can do it right the first time. Making these things go fast isn't cheap and having to do it twice, or having to settle for a less than optimum result, would suck. Good luck!

X2, good advice
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

KC2GIW

• RUB
  • Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

• CVO1: 2016 White Amethyst CVO Street Glide
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2016, 11:24:26 AM »

I put too big a TB and upgraded clutch on my last built engine - it's quite a bit hard to maneuver through parking lots and slow speed twists/turns.  I found it much MUCH less enjoyable to ride with such a sensitive throttle. 
Matt - Syracuse, NY

2016 White Amethyst FLHXSE.
117 SE drop-in kit.
Jackpot 2:1:2, V&H 450 Titans.

2018 Arctic White Corvette Grand Sport

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2016, 12:58:16 PM »

With the right tuner you can slow the blade down, however with some builds it can still be touchy my 124 with the 640 and the 66 mm is not the smoothest , however the HPI 62 unit is much smoother due to the design of the entry. They have it built up above plate on the bottom so the small opening are not moving as much air . Makes for a extremely smooth low opening .   However the SE 64 is a nasty mother to tune and the stream inj they have are icing on the turd cake ..

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2016, 01:15:59 PM »

With the right tuner you can slow the blade down, however with some builds it can still be touchy my 124 with the 640 and the 66 mm is not the smoothest , however the HPI 62 unit is much smoother due to the design of the entry. They have it built up above plate on the bottom so the small opening are not moving as much air . Makes for a extremely smooth low opening .   However the SE 64 is a nasty mother to tune and the stream inj they have are icing on the turd cake ..
 :huepfenjump3:Thanks Steve you made my day with that. :drink:

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2016, 01:22:02 PM »

Well all you need to do is a tune a half dozen of the 120 Hurricane kits with ALL  SE parts and you will have a great understanding of poor low speed throttle response and a MAJOR case of PMS .  But it does make some nice big end power..

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2016, 01:26:40 PM »

Again, what does your engine builder tell you to expect?

Nickmusic you've posted twice on this forum.....both times asking for advice and opinions.  You have many replies however, you've not answered any of the questions asked of you.  Not one person.....people that have personal experience as well as those that make a living building motors.....has suggested that you run with that TB.  When the masses speak.....  :nixweiss:

It's been suggested that you just call and talk with a couple of these builders here then compare to what your guy is telling you.  Just something to consider here......your guy working at a dealership has a job wether it's the correct components or not.  These independent builders business depends on their reputations.....it's all they have to stand on. :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2016, 01:34:16 PM »

Again, what does your engine builder tell you to expect?

Nickmusic you've posted twice on this forum.....both times asking for advice and opinions.  You have many replies however, you've not answered any of the questions asked of you.  Not one person.....people that have personal experience as well as those that make a living building motors.....has suggested that you run with that TB.  When the masses speak.....  :nixweiss:

It's been suggested that you just call and talk with a couple of these builders here then compare to what your guy is telling you.  Just something to consider here......your guy working at a dealership has a job wether it's the correct components or not.  These independent builders business depends on their reputations.....it's all they have to stand on.
Well said JC, and that is exactly the difference.

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2016, 04:58:06 PM »

He stated to me that he spoke with another guy that had the same build it was making huge power .. But I would love to see the sheet, Who know it may be the best way to build a engine. However based on real tuning & building I find it hard to wrap my head around much of anything with that kit. But just like testing you have to build it and test it.. If he wants that kit as it seems as he has not really gotten back with solid answer . I saw buy it have it tuned and post the dyno sheet..  :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 21 queries.