Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: 2015 CVO RG Ultra Fog Lights  (Read 5120 times)

qwicker

2015 CVO RG Ultra Fog Lights
« on: January 14, 2016, 01:29:59 PM »

I love the forward reach of the Daymakers on my '15 RG, once I tweaked the adjustment to get them more than 150 feet in front of the Bike.  The problem is the beam is so vertically narrow that there is little or no light down close and off to the sides for night riding on mountain roads.  My 2011 RG HID was better!! 

Has anyone installed new "fog" lights to light up the inside of turns up close?  What lights are you using?  I know HD is making a new bracket to add a light to the turn signal so you can add an LED on each side.  Are the LED's any better, or are they still so narrow that you can't get them to light up in front of you? 

Any comments appreciated. 
2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra.  Love the Rushmore refinements.  Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset.  Fullsac DX-Pipe, 2" Cores, TTS. Still Lovin it.

2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra.  Rio Red. Third time in the shop in six months. 31,000 miles. Traded

2002 Ultra Classic. Rio Red.  SE 2 into 1.  41,000 miles.  Sold

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
Re: 2015 CVO RG Ultra Fog Lights
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 07:43:21 PM »

You might want to check out this thread on Motolights :
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=44657.0

qwicker

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 08:46:38 PM »

Thanks...The thread is from 2010, but I'll check Motolights to see what's new from them.  I would rather have the lights mounted with the signal lights.  It sounds like they can answer any questions I have. 
2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra.  Love the Rushmore refinements.  Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset.  Fullsac DX-Pipe, 2" Cores, TTS. Still Lovin it.

2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra.  Rio Red. Third time in the shop in six months. 31,000 miles. Traded

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 09:40:35 AM »

Been looking at installing a set of the HD lights down on lower guards. Dealer owner has an Ultra Limited with this light on it that he rides frequently. My impression being on rides with dealer owner is the Moto lights may be a bit brighter. The HD lights take a number of items to install as a switchable light.  They require a switch installed on dash, a wire harness connection to left side fuse connector(blank plug is there), wire harness to lights, mount and light. Let us know which way you go.
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 10:57:06 PM »

While the lights in this pix are not Motolights, they are caliper mounted like them. You can see the nice triangle of light to oncoming riders and there's a few member on here that have remarked they are very easy to see in their mirrors. Nice feature is they turn with the forks as opposed to a fairing mounted light that doesn't.

PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

qwicker

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 12:43:22 PM »

I know the front end visibility is better with the caliber mounted lights. I just don't like the way they look on the bike, so I am going to mount them up high.
With the plethora of available lights, I'm trying to decide which ones to use. Do the HD LED's throw enough scattered light to wash the inside of turns at night, and fill in front of the bike with the high beams on? Motto lights? They're all bloody expensive...would like to make the right choice the first time.

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 09:05:30 PM »

I have the Harley lights low and they help with up close. Also had dealer flash the bike so aux lights stay on with high beam. Funny that's a programming function. I wired my lights different than instructions so to work independently of aux lights. Some harnesses from hd just add lights into existing light function
Will

Toliverpeterson

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 08:39:33 PM »

I'm going to try a set of the Cirius lights in the spring when my bike comes out of storage. I like how they flush mount.

https://www.ciriususa.com/

;D

qwicker

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 11:07:30 PM »

I have the Harley lights low and they help with up close. Also had dealer flash the bike so aux lights stay on with high beam. Funny that's a programming function. I wired my lights different than instructions so to work independently of aux lights. Some harnesses from hd just add lights into existing light function

Thank you. Good information about being a programming function.  When they are flashed, do they stay on with both high and low beams, or is it one or the other?  I am thinking of adding the acc switch kit to the dash and using one of the switches for the fog lights.  Do you have any information as to which HD harnesses to use?  I would think they need to be wired into the headlight circuit to operate when the headlights are on.

qwicker

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 11:55:29 PM »

I'm going to try a set of the Cirius lights in the spring when my bike comes out of storage. I like how they flush mount.

;D

Those look interesting.

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 08:08:40 AM »

;D

x2

:oops: :nixweiss:
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 08:36:40 AM »

If looking for improved vision for the rider, as opposed to making the bike more visible to oncoming traffic, I'd suggest mounting your aux lights higher and not on the calipers.  If you aim the Moto light types properly (angled slightly down), you aren't going to get as much spread and fill as you would with lights mounted up near the turn signals.  And if you aim the Moto lights improperly (angled upward), like many seem to do, all you will be doing is blinding oncoming folks as those bouncing beams hit them right in the eye.  I've gotten so I hate to see a bike with caliper mounted lights coming toward me, since most aren't aimed correctly and they bounce all over the place with the movement of the wheel. 

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016, 10:39:56 AM »

If looking for improved vision for the rider, as opposed to making the bike more visible to oncoming traffic, I'd suggest mounting your aux lights higher and not on the calipers.  If you aim the Moto light types properly (angled slightly down), you aren't going to get as much spread and fill as you would with lights mounted up near the turn signals.  And if you aim the Moto lights improperly (angled upward), like many seem to do, all you will be doing is blinding oncoming folks as those bouncing beams hit them right in the eye.  I've gotten so I hate to see a bike with caliper mounted lights coming toward me, since most aren't aimed correctly and they bounce all over the place with the movement of the wheel. 

JMHO - Jerry
Nice observations rarely discussed here Jerry. I reciently made a bracket and installed Clearwater lights up high on my Suzuki for the same reasons. We also have these on our BMW. I'm currently in the process of configuring a bracket for the Ultra to mount these, or a smaller version, up near the turn signal/passing lamps. Although there are mounting options for other locations such as fork or crash bar, keeping the lamps up high for greater visibility.has been a priority for me . These Clearwater lights are fully dim-able, switched, integrated for full high on high beam activation, flash at full power at horn deployment and at over 6000 lumens each, provide plenty of light on dark desolate roads.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 10:41:39 AM by Trapperdog »

CaptRat

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

• CVO1: 2016 CVO RGU
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2016, 01:33:16 PM »

Has anyone installed new "fog" lights to light up the inside of turns up close?  What lights are you using?  I know HD is making a new bracket to add a light to the turn signal so you can add an LED on each side.  Are the LED's any better, or are they still so narrow that you can't get them to light up in front of you?

I mounted Daymaker fog lights with the turn signals on the fairing of my 16 RGU. Pretty easy installation although the P&A catalog is a little vague and misleading. For the fairing mount you need the lights, the fairing mount kit, and the aux light switch (part # 69200172.) No other wiring harnes is required.

My buddies tell me that my visibility during the day is excellent. At night the total light package with the fog lights on the fairing offer a nice bright spread that I don't feel I'm overdriving even on the highway. It's much better than my previous ride, an '08 EGU with an HID headlight and LED spots.
Rat

2016 FLTRUSE, Ruby Red/Palladium Silver, Jackpot exhaust/slipons, Heads ported & polished, Powervision, Target Tune.
2008 FLHTCU, Candy Red Sunglo, 110", Rinehart true duals, massive chrome, 66,000 miles (traded)
2004 FLHTCUI, Lava Red Sunglo, 95", V&H true duals, 57,500 miles (traded)
2000 FLHR, Luxury Rich Red/Vivid Black, 95", Baker 6 speed, V&H exhaust, 37,500 miles (sold)

bakon

• Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited "Wicked"
2015 CVO RG Ultra Fog Lights
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2016, 03:56:41 PM »

Thank you. Good information about being a programming function.  When they are flashed, do they stay on with both high and low beams, or is it one or the other?  I am thinking of adding the acc switch kit to the dash and using one of the switches for the fog lights.  Do you have any information as to which HD harnesses to use?  I would think they need to be wired into the headlight circuit to operate when the headlights are on.
The aux lights will stay on with hi or lo beam once programmed. As for my set up I bought the harness to supply power through the fuse block and controlled by an aux switch on dash panel. I then wired the lights with my own wire from under seat, under tank out the crash bar for an inch or two and into lowers, around all the stuff hidden inside through the lowers and out the radiator covers in front of lowers. Then two inches of wire exposed going to mounts and lights. Idea was to hide the wiring as much as possible. The new bikes do not operate the switches in series with load. The switch sends signal to ecm which then controls power out fuse block and harness to load.
The instructions for harness for my bike just wanted the aux to control the daymakers by tapping into that circuit providing power with no control independent of the aux lights. It also ran wiring down front frame tubes and out crash bar bottom, so about 2 1/2 foot of wire and wire ties down both sides of bike. I wanted the lights controlled separate so had to adapt some wiring to some different Harley harness not specifically for the lights.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 03:59:52 PM by bakon »
Will
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 21 queries.