Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Best Tires for 2015 SERG? Dunlop American Elite's or Michelin Commander II's??  (Read 8881 times)

zigzag930

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '15 CVO RGU (FLTRUSE) Carbon Dust/Autumn Sunset: Hertz HCX165; FuelMoto Stainless 2-1-2; Fullsac 2.0;TTS-100; TTS Mastertune; SuperShox; Custom Dynamic Ringz, Freedom Shield

My rears look just like the OP.  They howl like crazy when I lean the bike.   Still a fair amount of tread left.  Is the cupping dangerous?

I was considering the AE's and the C II's.  Will be following this thread closely as I will be ditching the cupped tires sometime in the next few months.

I do ride 2-up most of the time.  Combined weight is only about 325 for us both plus maybe another 10 lbs of tour pack junk.  Bike is '15 FLTRUSE.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded

Found this interesting article on another motorcycle forum:

CUPPING:
Cupping, which is more accurately described as scalloping, but we will use the more common term "cupping" here, is a natural wear pattern on motorcycle tires and it will always follow the tread pattern. It is not a sign that you have bad suspension parts. It merely shows that your tire is indeed gripping the road when you make turns (thank you for that Mr. Tire!). This cupping develops within the side wear bands of a leaned motorcycle. The extreme forces that come in to play when the bike is leaned in a turn are what produce the effect and when the wear becomes sufficient, one will experience vibration and noise when one banks into a turn. Upon examination of the pictures at left of our sample rear Avon, our dusted front VTX Dunlop D256, and the picture of our chalked Dunlop D206 one can see how the cupping follows the tread pattern. The leading edge of the tread does not flex much as it grips the road and the rubber is scuffed off the tire in that area causing a depression. As the tire rotates, the pressure moves to the trailing edge of the tread pattern where the tread flexes more causing less scuffing so less material is ground off the tire. The more complex the tread pattern, the more complex the cupping pattern will be. The softer the compound of the tire, the sooner this cupping will develop. Radial tires are more prone to cupping than are bias ply because the compound of radials is softer. As one can see, the simple tread pattern of the Avon pictured produces a simpler scallop pattern while the more complex VTX D256 Dunlop is somewhat involved, though still easily seen in our photo. Cupping on the Valkyrie Dunlop D206 is very hard to photograph because of the complex tread pattern. Low tire pressure will exacerbate this wear pattern and you will lose many serviceable miles by running low. Improper balance has nothing to do with cupping on a motorcycle tire. Improper balance will merely cause your bike to vibrate within certain specific speed ranges.

The writer states this as fact and perhaps it is as it makes sense to me.  I have always experienced some cupping on motorcycle tires so I guess the way to avoid that as per the article is to ride in straight lines and avoid curves, lol.  Nah, I'll just get new tires.

I've not had the Dunlop AE but of course the OEs and Mich Commander IIs several times.  Always eventually got some cupping.  I've just resigned myself that it is the nature of the beast and to accept it.  And yes, I do watch my tire pressures very closely. 

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America

I have never gotten 5000 miles out of the stock rear tire before. Lat time I decided to try the C2's. Got almost 9000 miles out of it before having to replace with great traction (once warmed up). Only thing I will say is cold they do seem a bit squirley compared to the Dunlops but only until fully warmed up. Front tire though wore about the same as stock but I definitely will stick with the C2's going forward.
Alan

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag

Well today I bought new tires.

My last three sets were Michelin Commander IIs, but today I went Dunlop American Elite. No complaints about the Michelin’s, I just wanted to give the AEs a try. I got about 9k out of my last rear tire, so we’ll see how the Dunlops compare.

Like all new tires they felt light and snappy. Just in time for Yosemite.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

tolobill

Have a 15 ultra limited, I get 19,000 miles on the stock dunlops, looking no at commanders or elites, might go stock again, but the price 550 for both installed.

Mikey

• 2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Get the gold, make the rules!

• CVO1: FLHRSEi2 2003
    • CVO2: FLTRUSE 2015
    • Classic Muscle Bikes

My 2015 FLTRUSE tires have cupped enough to noise at 12K but still plenty of tread. Any danger on riding it till the tread in the center is worn more? They look good other than the cupping.
Mikey
GET THE GOLD, MAKE THE RULES!
2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
Limited Edition 100th Anniversary
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/gallery/452_21_04_11_11_12_33.jpg

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE

i put the C2s on, got about 9k on the rear now lots of tread left and just starting to show signs of cupping. the OE dunlop was a mess at 9k so i think im going to get some better life out of the C2 for sure... will report more later   
ok only thing to report is my rear C2 picked up a 1/4 inch bolt.... so im starting over this season with a new rear C2  :nixweiss:
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE

My 2015 FLTRUSE tires have cupped enough to noise at 12K but still plenty of tread. Any danger on riding it till the tread in the center is worn more? They look good other than the cupping.
Mikey
have seen guys ride them till the cords are showing... not me, with 12k on yours, if it was mine I would step up and get new
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom

I have a set of Michelin commander 2's.  Love em. Great ride and really last. 14000 miles  and lots of tread left. I would recommend them for sure. Stuart  :2vrolijk_21:

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!

Looks like I might be in the minority here but have been really happy with the Elites. I have my 3rd rear on and have been better than 12000 each on the rears. The first rear had some funny wear patterns at around the 12000 mark so I changed it. The 2nd was around 12000 and still had lots of meat left but I pulled it in prep for a trip. On my 2nd front and it came off at 23000 in prep for the same trip, but it was getting tired anyhow. I have not seen the cupping issues with them as I did with the HD tire. Bike is also 2up 99% of the time
Most great stores start with a bad decision

TNCarters

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RGU
    • CVO2: 2011 Ultra Limited (Traded)

Have been running the Commander 2's for about 10k.  Original Dunlops cupped and got so noisy between 12-15k that I replaced them before they were worn out.  I've had a bit of trouble with the front C2 vibrating just a slight amount at about 60 mph.  Not totally convinced its not due to poor balance job at the dealer.  I had them recheck it and of course they said it was fine.  Not a bad vibration, just enough to be noticeable in the mirrors.  May eventually have an indy rebalance it.  My dealer does not carry them in stock so have been ordering in from Drag.  I noticed while in MTM that Pig Trail HD stocks the C2's.
Ron
2015 CVO RGU
Burgundy Blaze

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member

I can tell you that the AE's are just a touch taller even though manufacture says they are the same. They are not. Mine wear a little better than the Dunflops. I really believe it's a lot about the bike!

BigLew

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom

The commander Iis don't cup.    Mine still look great.      Stuart.

Mikey

• 2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
  • Senior CVO Member
  • Get the gold, make the rules!

• CVO1: FLHRSEi2 2003
    • CVO2: FLTRUSE 2015
    • Classic Muscle Bikes

I went with the Commander II just before a 3K trip. Two days of rain and they worked great for me in the rain or dry. If they don't cup I will be a happy customer.
GET THE GOLD, MAKE THE RULES!
2003 Harley Davidson FLHRSE12 Screamin' Eagle Road King
Limited Edition 100th Anniversary
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/gallery/452_21_04_11_11_12_33.jpg

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag

The Commander IIs I had two sets ago cupped in the rear. It howled in the curves and responded poorly. I checked air pressure regularly and replaced it at about 9K. Don't get me wrong, I like the Commander IIs and may run them again. But for now the American Elite seems to be doing fine.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 21 queries.