Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Fuzzy Display on 16 CVO  (Read 4487 times)

JIMINVA

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

Fuzzy Display on 16 CVO
« on: March 25, 2016, 08:02:53 AM »

I noticed last night the display on my 16 FLTRUSE is "fuzzy".  The text and graphics are slightly distorted -- checked this morn in the light and still distorted.  It is on main, map, XM, etc.  Anyone else had this and or offer solution I can discuss with dealer?  Thnx in advance.  Jim

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Fuzzy Display on 16 CVO
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2016, 08:48:17 AM »

Was it like this before the porter dropped your bike? If not I would lean on something was damaged when it was dropped or repairs were done to fix the damage of the drop. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

JIMINVA

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 08:54:33 AM »

For certain this was a "pre-drop" condition.

Was it like this before the porter dropped your bike? If not I would lean on something was damaged when it was dropped or repairs were done to fix the damage of the drop. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 08:59:12 AM »

Could it be the screen protector perhaps?  There is a screen protector fitted to the touch screen from the factory, and maybe it's been damaged by cleaning products or wasn't applied correctly or ?

Whatever it is, the dealership should be consulted.  If they give you the "that's normal" or "they all do that" story, make them show you the same problem on any of the other new bikes in their inventory.  If you did something yourself to damage the protector, a new one is almost $60 MSRP from Harley.  For that price you could probably find something better elsewhere, like Zagg or the other high end protectors offered for phones, tablets, auto systems, etc.  I imagine some of the guys will jump in with suggestions from their own experiences.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

JIMINVA

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2016, 10:11:07 AM »

THNX jerry - was not aware of the "protector".  I'll look when I get home today.  Also - is it something that peels off?

Could it be the screen protector perhaps?  There is a screen protector fitted to the touch screen from the factory, and maybe it's been damaged by cleaning products or wasn't applied correctly or ?

Whatever it is, the dealership should be consulted.  If they give you the "that's normal" or "they all do that" story, make them show you the same problem on any of the other new bikes in their inventory.  If you did something yourself to damage the protector, a new one is almost $60 MSRP from Harley.  For that price you could probably find something better elsewhere, like Zagg or the other high end protectors offered for phones, tablets, auto systems, etc.  I imagine some of the guys will jump in with suggestions from their own experiences.

Jerry

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 10:49:24 AM »

Jim,. If the screen protector has not been blurred by cleaning products or moisture between the screen and protector, try pulling the main fuse found under the left side cover.  This resets the "sophisticated"   :huepfenlol2:  computer in your system and will cure minor glitches.  Procedure:

1. Ignition on with fob present
2. Pull fuse
3. Ignition off
4. Wait 15 seconds or so
5. Reinsert fuse and test system. 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

JIMINVA

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2016, 11:12:58 AM »

VERY good info Sir -- is the protector something I shld be able to remove ?  or is that best left up to the dealer/  Q - which fuse in the box?  GRATEFUL, Jim

Jim,. If the screen protector has not been blurred by cleaning products or moisture between the screen and protector, try pulling the main fuse found under the left side cover.  This resets the "sophisticated"   :huepfenlol2:  computer in your system and will cure minor glitches.  Procedure:

1. Ignition on with fob present
2. Pull fuse
3. Ignition off
4. Wait 15 seconds or so
5. Reinsert fuse and test system.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2016, 11:16:02 AM »

When you pull the left side cover, the main fuse is the large, orange one that is visible without opening the fuse box itself.  It should be pretty obvious.

If that procedure does not help, I would not pull the protector myself as you could scratch the screen. If that's going to happen, let the dealer do it! Unless this problem occurred right after washing or cleaning with something like Windex, it's probably an electrical problem.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

JIMINVA

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 11:25:04 AM »

Copy all -- and grateful for the education - Jim

When you pull the left side cover, the main fuse is the large, orange one that is visible without opening the fuse box itself.  It should be pretty obvious.

If that procedure does not help, I would not pull the protector myself as you could scratch the screen. If that's going to happen, let the dealer do it! Unless this problem occurred right after washing or cleaning with something like Windex, it's probably an electrical problem.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

JIMINVA

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 07:04:42 AM »

The dealer I purchased from is ordering the new screen shield.  Service Manager said, "Oh man, this is going to be a big deal to replace."  I look forward to reading the instructions to see just how big a deal.  Will keep ya informed. Jim

RGlideKid

• 1K CVO Member
  • Riding Since 1972
    • AR

• CVO1: 2011 CVO RGU...sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO RGU
    • Bull Shoals Photography
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 10:32:35 AM »

The dealer I purchased from is ordering the new screen shield.  Service Manager said, "Oh man, this is going to be a big deal to replace."  I look forward to reading the instructions to see just how big a deal.  Will keep ya informed. Jim

It's not a big deal to replace the screen protector, but I'm thinking that unless there was a problem with that protector that is inducing distortion, it almost sounds like your video display.  Is everything on the screen distorted, or is it just portions of the screen?  I've not heard of this problem before on this site, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened to guys before.  Don't let the dealer off easy, and don't stop with them till it's right by you.  Take close-up pictures of the distortion if you're still unhappy after you change out the screen protector.  You should consider sending those pics to the MoCo with your story if the dealer balks at replacing the unit.
Either way, let us know how things progress.
Harry
2017 Eureka Springs MITM Ride Chairman
Check out my photo gallery at:  RGlideKid's Galleries at Bull Shoals Photography

2015 CVO RGU with V&H Power Pro Headers & 4" Monster Rounds & HD-SEPST
2007 Bushtec Turbo+2 Trailer

JIMINVA

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2016, 11:46:10 AM »

Can do, Will do.  Thanks!

It's not a big deal to replace the screen protector, but I'm thinking that unless there was a problem with that protector that is inducing distortion, it almost sounds like your video display.  Is everything on the screen distorted, or is it just portions of the screen?  I've not heard of this problem before on this site, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened to guys before.  Don't let the dealer off easy, and don't stop with them till it's right by you.  Take close-up pictures of the distortion if you're still unhappy after you change out the screen protector.  You should consider sending those pics to the MoCo with your story if the dealer balks at replacing the unit.
Either way, let us know how things progress.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2016, 12:05:07 PM »

I assume this is just a stick-on protector, right?  I've never seen a screen protector that was difficult to remove (I lift a corner by applying tape and then pulling it up).  The difficult part is applying them so you end up with a properly positioned protector with no finger prints, air bubbles, or other flaws. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Road Dad

• Senior CVO Member
    • MI

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - 117 CU
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2016, 12:24:22 PM »

The screen protector is easy to change. I got two boxes in my garage.  I think it's 3 in each box. Cheap stuff, don't recall the price but it was not much.

Takes a a couple of minutes to replace. Look at your screen and you can see that the scree is cut in one corner. Just peel it of and apply a new. (Well clean the screen in between)

JIMINVA

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2016, 02:36:33 PM »

Sigh.  went to dealer where I bought the CVO.  Service told me "the installation of the new shield is too complicated to do on a saturday because we have never done one before".  Double sigh.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 21 queries.