Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Compensator-My Story might help you  (Read 14505 times)

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
Compensator-My Story might help you
« on: June 29, 2016, 07:08:37 AM »

2015 SESG
At 10k I started to notice a familiar knock from the primary side.

Took it to dealer for a listen and got the line that " Sounds normal and that some just do this."

So I let my bike idle until it went into the EITMS(turns off real cylinder for cooling at idle)  This causes the backlash in the compensator to knock with extreme prejudice.

The service manager then agreed that there was a problem but didn't think it was the compensator because of my low mileage and that they have not seen issues with SE Compensator.

He offer to put it on the lift right then and take a look if I could leave it.....but since I had a trip planned in 10 day, I asked him what the availability was for a new Compensator.

So he checked...

NO STOCK and on BACK ORDER until JULY 12th

So he started to check with other dealers and it appears that since this SE Comp as been out for a few years now and racking up some miles they are failing and needing replaced.

This happened around June 10th....I told them to find a compensator and that I would bring my bike in after my trip and once they have the parts.

They located one in Virginia....and my bike is now on the lift get another bullet proof compensator.

In conclusion:

-If you think your comp is going, let your bike idle until it goes into EITMS mode...if the knocking gets worst and is consistent.  Good bet the comp is backlashing 

-Before you let them open up your primary, have them check the availability of the compensator.....or your bike might be on the lift for a few weeks or more.

-Keep you EITMS off.  This is just my option...idling this engine on one cylinder just doesn't seem normal and shakes the hell out of the bike.

Hope this helps and looking forward to the WV GTG

Cat

Royalroadie

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KS

Re: Compensator-My Story might help you
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 09:18:57 AM »

I am also waiting for a replacement comp to come in. 
V&H Power Dual Header
Rinehart 4"

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 09:44:05 AM »

Never did like the way any of my previous bike ran when the rear cylinder shuts down. I''ll be rechecking to be sure it is deactivated.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

bigchuck

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2015 Limited
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 10:16:50 AM »

Leaving EITMS in Pennsylvania is different than doing it in the deep south. Good luck with your repairs.
2015 CVO Limited
Long Ride Shield
Fullsac dx w/2"cores, TTS tuned by Wolfgang
Super Shox

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 01:27:03 PM »

This is disappointing news! My previous bike had that problem as well and I thought I was leaving it behind.  I do have the EITMS on since it is always so hot and I figured it would keep the rear cylinder in better shape. I don't like that you can't just go when you need to. I have to rev it before going since it takes a second to get the rear cylinder power up. It is almost a little dangerous but I am used to it now.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2016, 03:07:57 PM »

After all these years and all the redesigns, how can there be a dealership on the planet that has not seen compensator issues???  You're dealer lacks credibility...    >:(
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 03:42:32 PM »

2015 SESG
At 10k I started to notice a familiar knock from the primary side.

Took it to dealer for a listen and got the line that " Sounds normal and that some just do this."

So I let my bike idle until it went into the EITMS(turns off real cylinder for cooling at idle)  This causes the backlash in the compensator to knock with extreme prejudice.

The service manager then agreed that there was a problem but didn't think it was the compensator because of my low mileage and that they have not seen issues with SE Compensator.

He offer to put it on the lift right then and take a look if I could leave it.....but since I had a trip planned in 10 day, I asked him what the availability was for a new Compensator.

So he checked...

NO STOCK and on BACK ORDER until JULY 12th

So he started to check with other dealers and it appears that since this SE Comp as been out for a few years now and racking up some miles they are failing and needing replaced.

This happened around June 10th....I told them to find a compensator and that I would bring my bike in after my trip and once they have the parts.

They located one in Virginia....and my bike is now on the lift get another bullet proof compensator.

In conclusion:

-If you think your comp is going, let your bike idle until it goes into EITMS mode...if the knocking gets worst and is consistent.  Good bet the comp is backlashing 

-Before you let them open up your primary, have them check the availability of the compensator.....or your bike might be on the lift for a few weeks or more.

-Keep you EITMS off.  This is just my option...idling this engine on one cylinder just doesn't seem normal and shakes the hell out of the bike.

Hope this helps and looking forward to the WV GTG

Cat

The single firing pulse of EMITS makes me cringe when i think of the front connecting rod bearings...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 08:36:20 PM »

Turned my ETMS off they day I bought the bike.  I have it in 100 degree plus weather.  Still will not turn it on.  Feels like it is trying to tear motor apart, can't be good for it.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

dano

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 05:56:17 AM »

How do you turn the ETMS off?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 08:46:10 AM »

How do you turn the ETMS off?

It's a simple procedure anyone can perform.  If you have the owner's manual for the bike the procedure is detailed in the manual.  Basically it involves rotating the throttle grip forward from the idle position to toggle it off or on.  Early versions required the ignition to be on and the engine off, later models work with the engine on or off.  Rather than mislead you based on my memory, I'd suggest digging out the manual.  BTW, it's called EITMS, for Engine Idle Temperature Management System.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 12:52:18 PM »

This is the procedure for 2008 to 2013 models.  Rushedmore bikes can also do it on the infotainment screen.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Enable/Disable EITMS

1. Turn the ignition ON.  With the bike at idle and not moving (the bike may be running or not running):

2. Push the throttle to roll-off position and hold.

3. After approximately 3 seconds, the cruise indicator will flash either red (disabled) or green (enabled).

4. Repeat procedure to change.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jerry
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 04:09:12 PM by grc »

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2016, 01:18:58 PM »

After all these years and all the redesigns, how can there be a dealership on the planet that has not seen compensator issues???  You're dealer lacks credibility...    >:(

They were aware on the compensator issues but was under the impression (hoping) that the SE Compensator had corrected the problem.

It has taken a few years for the fleet of bikes with this SE compensator to log some miles to produce imperial data to determine whether this is true or not.

For me this will be my last HD comp unless they redesign again.....but who really knows if the Baker Compensator will be any better.  Aftermarket suppliers don't get the exposure to develope any trends like HD does.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2016, 01:39:20 PM »

They were aware on the compensator issues but was under the impression (hoping) that the SE Compensator had corrected the problem.

I assume you mean the latest revision to the SE compensator (I've lost track of how many revisions they've had since 2008) where they added ribbing to the outer primary cover to direct oil to the center of the compensator.  Without having real statistics from actual repair data, all we can do is go by the reports from other owners of the affected models.  Not exactly scientific.  All I can say is that just going by posts online since Harley started installing that latest revision it "seems" as though I'm reading fewer reports of low mileage failures.  Note I didn't say no failures, just fewer.  The design still sucks IMHO, but it just sucks a little less when the idiots realize they need to provide lubrication to high friction areas of the device.

I still find it strange that the old cheap compensator used forever on the 5 speed trans bikes often outlasted most of the other parts in the primary, but the new modern POS was lucky to last a year.  Just one more bit of proof that Harley needs to hire some competent engineers, or just farm everything out to qualified companies like they did with the Revolution engine.  Oh, and actually testing the brilliant design before throwing it in thousands of bikes might not be a bad idea either.  These days Harley customers appear to be the only ones actually testing anything.

Jerry

MadCVORG

• '11 FLTRUSE
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 01:53:49 PM »

These days Harley customers appear to be the only ones actually testing anything.

You're not far off the mark..........using real-life conditions, vs. lab testing, provides a manufacturer with loads of valuable data. And much cheaper than hiring in-house test engineers.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2016, 02:46:29 PM »

It has taken a few years for the fleet of bikes with this SE compensator to log some miles to produce imperial data to determine whether this is true or not.

For me this will be my last HD comp unless they redesign again.....but who really knows if the Baker Compensator will be any better.  Aftermarket suppliers don't get the exposure to develope any trends like HD does.

If that's true, then they are badly misinformed and completely out of touch with the product they sell.  The SE compensator became available to replace the original stock compensator in 2008 - 8 years ago.  It has since been altered and redesigned at least 3 times (maybe 4, I've lost count) since then, due to continuous premature failures.  So if they were really "under the impression (hoping) that the SE Compensator had corrected the problem" then they are truly not paying attention.
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 22 queries.