Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Wake up 103"  (Read 11401 times)

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Wake up 103"
« on: February 14, 2007, 06:42:54 PM »

I've read a lot of posts around here about everyone doing big motor upgrades and throttle bodies and pipes and cams and and and..........

Does anyone have any advice to just wake up a pretty much stock 103" motor.  Hank's bike will be out of the shop in a couple of day's with that Dave Mackie animal kit......and I got a feeling with what BB did to LD,  and the new work on Hank's bike..........I'm gonna be playin' catch up.  I'm thinking a set of gear drive cams and maybe a bigger throttle body (nothing nuts......just a little more grunt).  I already have a PCIII, Doherty Power Pacc, and Hookers.

Any ideas?????????

_Beags
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
Re: Wake up 103"
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 08:41:52 PM »

I've read a lot of posts around here about everyone doing big motor upgrades and throttle bodies and pipes and cams and and and..........

Does anyone have any advice to just wake up a pretty much stock 103" motor.  Hank's bike will be out of the shop in a couple of day's with that Dave Mackie animal kit......and I got a feeling with what BB did to LD,  and the new work on Hank's bike..........I'm gonna be playin' catch up.  I'm thinking a set of gear drive cams and maybe a bigger throttle body (nothing nuts......just a little more grunt).  I already have a PCIII, Doherty Power Pacc, and Hookers.

Any ideas?????????

_Beags

Beags, my recommendation would be the Zipper's 575 gear driven cam and stick with your existing TB and Doherty PACC.  If you were going to do some headwork then I would recommend their 50 mm TB, but the 575 with stock heads will get you 100 hp/100 tq+.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 08:43:46 PM by pete_4854 »
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 11:35:18 PM »

Matt,
I took the red bike through three distinctly different stages:

• a/c, pipes, tune
  • above + gear drive cams
  • above + different gear drive cams, pistons, head work, throttle body and intake

The most significant bang-for-the-buck gain came with the 2nd effort; the 575 cams (after it finally got a good tune in it).  All the variables and impressions are way too much type up.  Give me a ring sometime and we can run through at least those bases I've crossed to see if any of it might help you with ideas for your red bike.

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 03:05:22 AM »

Matt,
Think Freedom Cycles gear driven FCC14SEC cams, maybe change out the Hooker set up for Freedom or Rinehart pipes. Granted they won't sound as loud and scare the chit out of the rice rockets, but performance gain is there IMHO. And you'll have west coast support.

Hey come on up when Reno thaws out and get the whole chittin kit installed?  :nixweiss:
 :drink:
Later bro',
Joe
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 09:06:33 AM »

Joe,
     Come on!!!!    You know I love those Hookers!!!!!   Make matters worse, BB even agree's with me now.  The pipes are staying,  but I may go the twolane route and swap just the cams and see what's what.  I can't have everyone passing me now can I????  I've looked at the Zippers 575.........what are the advantages to the Freedom FCC14SEC cam set.  You know me......big HP numbers do not impress me.....80 HP and 290lb/ft TQ would do just fine!!!!   LOL

_Beags
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 09:08:50 AM »

BTW,
    When does it thaw out up there????  I love Reno,  and here is still one dealer up there who loves to let me win $$ at the Black Jack tables (Pay's for lunch and beers) ;D ;D

_Beags

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 07:50:46 PM »

BrotherBeagle,
            Take the heads from LD nobody wants, (they're yours for the askin, you know that bro) send em to Mackie and have him do his thing. Buy a set of his DM590G cams and me and Hank will once again be lookin at the red glow of your tailight.

B B

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 10:15:46 PM »

I thought about that,  but after the BS you went through with the 103 w/ SDHD and no big increase (back then.......can I say Putz here on line........or is that PC incorrect????).  Don't want to go large with this one......just enough to keep up with you and Hank.

L & R

_Beags

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 10:18:22 PM »

I hope you got the yiddish!!!!

Matt

BTW,
Hanks bike is ready tomorrow..........he thinks he's ridin' it home,  but I did all the legwork, so I win.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 10:46:29 PM »

Got one word for your post about my Pre Elvis 03 SERK brother

HEADS

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 10:51:41 PM »

I thought about that,  but after the BS you went through with the 103 w/ SDHD and no big increase (back then.......can I say Putz here on line........or is that PC incorrect????).  Don't want to go large with this one......just enough to keep up with you and Hank.

L & R

_Beags

You can say putz (there is precedent).  You just can't say the whole job was fercockt.  That one has to get you in trouble (don't it  :nixweiss: ).

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 10:53:22 PM »

Spider, askin' a question here I don't know the answer to.  Will the heads off LD work on the pre-2007s?

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 11:06:24 PM »

Spider, askin' a question here I don't know the answer to.  Will the heads off LD work on the pre-2007s?

Well Don,
            The Heads on LD now are Screamin Eagle P/N 16953-06 Listed on page 53 of the 07 SE Catalogue. Pre 06 models take a different P/N so you are probably right. Looks like I'll have to let Beags ride LD while he sends his CVO heads to Dave Mackie. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 11:14:32 PM »

Well Don,
            The Heads on LD now are Screamin Eagle P/N 16953-06 Listed on page 53 of the 07 SE Catalogue. Pre 06 models take a different P/N so you are probably right. Looks like I'll have to let Beags ride LD while he sends his CVO heads to Dave Mackie. 

Too bad for the lack of option there.  I had some vague recollection of reading that cylinder heads were one of the many differences in the 07 changes.  But just wasn't sure.

Looking back on my own changes and then being able to see the effects I can say with 20/20 hindsight that the bigger seat of the pants feeling of gain came from the jump from stock to the cams as compared to the jump from just the cams to the heads/pistons/different cams. 

I'd not have done the second job were it not for having sniffed Grover's diamond cut in Cripple Creek though.  It was just that it was hard not to then accomplish the rest that could be easily done while it was apart far enough to do just the power coat and diamond cut.  Were I again where Matt is at right now (and not interested in the cosmetic changes also) I'd stick in the Freedom or Zippers cams, get a really good tune and never give it a second thought after that.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 11:27:36 AM by Twolanerider »

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2007, 02:05:50 AM »

Matt,
I know you can't give up the Hookers  :bananarock:, meaning the exhaust system. Just too 'You' bro' I'd just try the cams first, get rid of the ole chain and tensioners,etc. then get a good dyno (SERT or PCIII) and see what you think. I managed to get 119 Ft LBS with the Freedom cams, with stock heads and Rineharts. Bring it up maybe late March or early April maybe or get Spider to move his recliner and do it local  :2vrolijk_21:

Later,
Joe
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 21 queries.