Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: LED low beam inoperative on right side only (2015)  (Read 2425 times)

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
LED low beam inoperative on right side only (2015)
« on: August 19, 2017, 05:31:18 PM »

So I was stopped at a light and noticed my right side low beam missing from the reflection on the trunk lid in front of me. Sure enough I stopped to confirm my suspicions. Now here is the rub; I now see  it comes back on after you cycle the ignition switch and goes out after about 1 minute.    Left side low beam and both hi beams are working. I've checked connector and all pins,  all is good. So now I go to look for a new LED bulb, and of course you have to buy the whole headlamp assembly. Got a love it!
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: LED low beam inoperative on right side only (2015)
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 07:14:40 PM »

Assuming the fault lies in the headlamp assembly, I think I'd contact H-D and ask them to make a goodwill policy adjustment to cover the replacement (I'm assuming the factory warranty has expired).  LED headlamps aren't supposed to require replacement, if they're made right.  Like you said, gotta love it when they make the system a single assembly with no individual repair parts.

P/N: 67700199  HEADLAMP   $690.64

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 07:28:45 PM »

Assuming the fault lies in the headlamp assembly, I think I'd contact H-D and ask them to make a goodwill policy adjustment to cover the replacement (I'm assuming the factory warranty has expired).  LED headlamps aren't supposed to require replacement, if they're made right.  Like you said, gotta love it when they make the system a single assembly with no individual repair parts.

P/N: 67700199  HEADLAMP   $690.64

JMHO - Jerry

It's even more painful when the prior models from 2013 on back have a mature aftermarket supply where one can buy Harley's egregiously expensive LED headlight for about $150.

motor1

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 07:44:23 AM »

I have an extended warranty (guess it's time to read the small print). I know most ESP's don't cover bulbs (as they are considered a wear item) I hope entire LED assemblies $690.00 are not considered wear and tear, and are covered. Will look at contract today.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 10:16:57 AM »

I have an extended warranty (guess it's time to read the small print). I know most ESP's don't cover bulbs (as they are considered a wear item) I hope entire LED assemblies $690.00 are not considered wear and tear, and are covered. Will look at contract today.

Obviously the problem isn't the "bulb", since it works part of the time, but rather something in the controller circuitry.  I think you would have a very good argument that this isn't a simple maintenance issue requiring a bulb change.  As I said before, LED's shouldn't require replacement in normal use and definitely not in the time frame involved here.  However, since you're not dealing with a factory warranty but rather a service contract, the contract language will most likely be the deciding factor.  Good luck.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 01:43:50 PM »

according to my esp contract, it states the following as NOT covered:  glass, lenses, sealed beams and light bulbs.

one could make a great case that led headlights DO NOT fit into the above category.

will be interested to hear what the esp folks have to say about it.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 02:56:22 PM »

according to my esp contract, it states the following as NOT covered:  glass, lenses, sealed beams and light bulbs.

one could make a great case that led headlights DO NOT fit into the above category.

will be interested to hear what the esp folks have to say about it.

Could easily see some nearly-minimum-wage service writer honestly not knowing the difference between one light bulb type and another.  What is a sealed beam light is both obvious  and specific though.  An LED module is not a sealed beam light.  Nor is it a "bulb."  All this does not mean that in some codicil or appendix to the ESP in itty bitty print they have defined "sealed beam" or "light bulb" as "anything that shines; including by reflection" and can, therefore, also dismiss chrome and anything else shiny.

motor1

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 09:54:24 AM »

Dealer ordered LED assembly, I said I have ESP; they said no problem. I am still waiting for them to say "sorry not covered!"

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 12:15:11 PM »

Dealer ordered LED assembly, I said I have ESP; they said no problem. I am still waiting for them to say "sorry not covered!"

If that's the case, and H-D won't step up either, I'd tell the dealer no thanks and look for something from the aftermarket before I'd pay the Harley price.  It's bad enough when they screw you by refusing to take care of a defective part, but it's even worse if you then have to pay them another fat profit to buy another part from them to fix the problem.

JMHO - Jerry

motor1

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 06:34:57 AM »

Confirmed yesterday all LEDs covered on ESP. Now I just have to wait, headlamp on back order till 9/18. Guess I am not the only one with this problem!

motor1

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 06:33:44 AM »

Well a month later and I finally have the headlamp assembly installed. Paid a $50.00 deductible and we are done.  Just an FYI, although I haven't seen anyone else with a headlamp  problem the version installed shows a "C"  this leads me to believe there must be problems with the original and the first two revisions.  Be sure to check your Road Glide headlamp after it has been on for a while.

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 22 queries.