Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Usable power output  (Read 2865 times)

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
Usable power output
« on: April 06, 2018, 09:48:56 PM »

Mods if you see this I probaby screwed this up and it should be in riding gear not here...sorry
What is the usable power output of the charging system on the 09 bikes? I am asking this in a little research on heated clothes. I am kind of looking at the Gerbing Ex jacket and pants with a rated amp draw of 6.4 and 3.6. 10 amps for the pair. If I bought a set for the wife also that would put draw at 20 amps. I have replaced the factory headlight with the LED's but other than that everything else would be stock as far a electrical requirements. How close to being to much would that extra 20 amp pull put me?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 09:58:10 PM by Yellow09SERG »
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
Re: Usable power output
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 10:48:34 AM »

You should be fine at normal cruising speeds (rpm’s). A few things to keep in mind; the Gerbing amp draw is rated for 12V, at 14,2 V the draw will be higher.  However those ratings are with the gerbings on full high, a lower setting will draw less amps. Any foreseeable problems would be at idle with the gear, all accessories such as radio, lights, seat and grip heaters on high.
 Due to the numerous high draw accessories I have on all my bikes I have installed digital Volt meters on all, including the HD. As long as the break even Voltage is over 12.6, I don’t worry about shutting anything down. That’s only happened at night, in 20 degree weather, at low rpm’s though.
If you want to know where you stand, get a $10 stick on Digital voltmeter, install it temporarily, and go for some rides while recording Voltage values with different and all accessories on high, at idle and cruising. Once noted, removed the voltmeter.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 11:07:22 AM »

I'm pretty sure Harley came out with a higher output charging system kit that can be added to Twin Cams that will bring them up to the latest and greatest output level seen on the current CVO Touring models.  It offers a significant increase in current at idle speeds, which is where you are likely to see a deficit.  Unfortunately I seem to remember a pretty steep price tag, over $500.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 01:11:14 PM »

Thank you for the replies. Give me some options and things to look at

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 05:39:06 PM »

Thank you for the replies. Give me some options and things to look at

Harley does offer a charging system upgrade kit.  Won't work on your 09 though.  The kit is for 2010 models and newer.  I think it works on 2009 trikes as the trikes got charging hardware in 09 that everything got starting in 2010.

Your 2009 has the three phase charging package that began in 2006.  It doesn't do a bad job.  Works well at idle.  I've upgraded several 2005 and prior bikes to those parts.  On my old Road Glide it has managed the Corbin heated seat (front and back), heated jacket and gloves for the rider, all the accessories on the bike, and the lights on a trailer.  Bike has LED lights throughout which helps of course.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 05:45:26 PM »

Harley does offer a charging system upgrade kit.  Won't work on your 09 though.  The kit is for 2010 models and newer.  I think it works on 2009 trikes as the trikes got charging hardware in 09 that everything got starting in 2010.

Your 2009 has the three phase charging package that began in 2006.  It doesn't do a bad job.  Works well at idle.  I've upgraded several 2005 and prior bikes to those parts.  On my old Road Glide it has managed the Corbin heated seat (front and back), heated jacket and gloves for the rider, all the accessories on the bike, and the lights on a trailer.  Bike has LED lights throughout which helps of course.

Thank you Don,
I'll see if I can find the power requirements of your Corbin and see how it matches to an extra set of heated gear.

Did you get any of the snow last night? We got enough to make the ground white for a bit

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout.
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 06:35:26 PM »

If you have the money to spend for an upgrade http://www.cycleelectricinc.com may have something to bump up your charging system

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 07:33:00 PM »

As Twolane mentioned, the fitment list for the High Output Charging System doesn't show it applying to the 2009 model, but I think I know why that is the case.  The stator, voltage regulator, and DC lead assembly are the same on the 2009 FLTRSE3 as on the 2010 Trike and the 2011 CVO Touring models which are on the fitment list.  The one difference is the 2009 came stock with the original design compensator and stepped rotor, whereas the Trike and the later CVO Touring models came with the SE compensator with the flat rotor.  If your 2009 has been upgraded to the SE compensator with the new style rotor, that new high output 54 amp kit should work.

OR, you could look at the aftermarket where you might find a more reasonably priced kit.

JMHO - Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 08:28:43 PM »

For the 2009 call cycle electric the owner there is great I am fairly certain he can get you what you need although I believe it will be more than Harley’s cost wise, but the stuff works and they stand behind their stuff.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 08:54:30 PM »

As Twolane mentioned, the fitment list for the High Output Charging System doesn't show it applying to the 2009 model, but I think I know why that is the case.  The stator, voltage regulator, and DC lead assembly are the same on the 2009 FLTRSE3 as on the 2010 Trike and the 2011 CVO Touring models which are on the fitment list.  The one difference is the 2009 came stock with the original design compensator and stepped rotor, whereas the Trike and the later CVO Touring models came with the SE compensator with the flat rotor.  If your 2009 has been upgraded to the SE compensator with the new style rotor, that new high output 54 amp kit should work.

OR, you could look at the aftermarket where you might find a more reasonably priced kit.

JMHO - Jerry

That is the difference Jerry.  Your post jogged my memory.  A few years ago I swapped in the high output kit on someone's 09 and they'd already done the comp change so worked fine.

Going from a 50 amp to a 54 amp charging system is a relatively minimal upgrade for close to $500 bucks though.  Sure, every little bit helps, but; damn...

Again using my old Road Glide as an example the 50 amp system handles all I've tossed at it with one person's heated gear, two heated seat position, LED headlights and other lights, a trailer's lights (was also LED) and the Harmon Kardon stereo with a HW amp installed.  A bike could certainly be loaded with more of a load.  Didn't sound like this example was drastically different though.

I got curious and measured the load on the Road Glide with all on once.  Don't remember exactly what it was but do remember being surprised that there was actually just a little breathing room

My 2005 wouldn't do all that.  With its stock 32 amp system and a HID headlight, HD radio, heated Corbin seat, halogen running lights and one person's heated gear the charging system would just laugh at you through the headlight.  LED's almost got it home.  It was close.  Upgrading to the 40 amp option that was possible before the 2006's came out made it functional so it never got more than that.  Not being a three phase system hurt it but that was just an excuse to keep moving.

Having the three phase 50 amp system in both the old Road Glide and Road King have been fire-and-forget upgrades though.  On top of that the regulator is easier to change than it was on the older regulators.

Hope you're lucky enough to find enough headroom on the 2009 without having to spend much/any money.  Will keep the finger crossed for you  :2vrolijk_21: .

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2018, 09:32:55 AM »

You're right Don, $500 is a lot to pick up only four to six amps.  As with many of Harley's "upgrade" kits, I think they count on a large number of their faithful customers to scan the catalogs religiously looking for stuff they probably don't need but will buy anyway.  They've made a ton of money with that business model over the past few decades.  I'm guessing most people on later model Twin Cams won't need this kit, as you noted, but for the few who don't know when to quit adding electrical accessories it might make sense.  Still costs way too much for what it is, but that's Harley and/or the Harley aftermarket for you. 

Jerry

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2018, 11:15:11 AM »

Hopefully when we get set up there will be enough. Just can't see spending that kind of money for that small of gain. Guess if we run short on power the wife can turn hers off....lol.

Thanks for all the help

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2018, 11:35:00 AM »

Hopefully when we get set up there will be enough. Just can't see spending that kind of money for that small of gain. Guess if we run short on power the wife can turn hers off....lol.

Thanks for all the help

Hmmmm.   With a plan like that, I hope you have a heated garage to sleep in after the ride home.

Jerry ;)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2018, 11:39:04 AM »

Hmmmm.   With a plan like that, I hope you have a heated garage to sleep in after the ride home.

Jerry ;)

Maybe he's just got plans on where to tell her to put her hands to keep them warm?  8)

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2018, 11:57:20 AM »

Jerry ;)

Jerry, I never said it was a good plan...lol

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2018, 12:00:37 PM »

Maybe he's just got plans on where to tell her to put her hands to keep them warm?  8)

I like that plan even better... as long as those hands get there before they get cold

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2018, 10:19:00 PM »

If you’re lucky her ears may get cold as well.....

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2018, 04:50:41 PM »

The power or lack of power is starting to sound like a very attractive subject

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2018, 08:37:56 PM »

The power or lack of power is starting to sound like a very attractive subject

Oh chit, HD is going to come out with a "Charging System Decompensation System" now for horny guys.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2018, 08:48:21 PM »

Oh chit, HD is going to come out with a "Charging System Decompensation System" now for horny guys.
Would that be covered under the extended warranty?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2018, 09:33:35 PM »

Would that be covered under the extended warranty?

I'm sorry.  Can't answer now.  Headed out to unplug my regulator.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2018, 09:37:34 PM »

I'm sorry.  Can't answer now.  Headed out to unplug my regulator.

8)

smkblwr

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2018 RGU
    • CVO2: 2018 FreeWheeler
    • CVO3: 2007 VRSCX Vrod #328
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2018, 06:21:34 AM »

On my 10 which had the stock charging system and LEDs all the way around. It was a strain on the charging system at idle. We have the Gerbing socks, pants, jackets, and gloves. My wife treats her temp controller as a on/off switch, all on or all off. At idle it would pull the stock voltage gauge down noticeable cant remember what the gauge would read but it was enough that I reminded her every time not to turn it on till be got to the main roads, it never shut anything down. I run my controller no more than half way up. I never turned mine on till I was at highway speed and just got her to leave hers off till we made it out on the main road which was about a mile from out house and if we were in town I would cut mine off and remind her to either cut it off or turn it down for the short distance we were in traffic. Most of our cold weather rides that she was with me are 60 miles of highway and 4 stop lights in town to my dealership for an event or something.
Smkblwr
2018 RGU.
2018 FreeWheeler "Wifes"
2007 V&H PRO Stock Tribute #328 VRod
IBA Member 45500

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2018, 10:51:53 AM »

On my 10 which had the stock charging system and LEDs all the way around. It was a strain on the charging system at idle. We have the Gerbing socks, pants, jackets, and gloves. My wife treats her temp controller as a on/off switch, all on or all off. At idle it would pull the stock voltage gauge down noticeable cant remember what the gauge would read but it was enough that I reminded her every time not to turn it on till be got to the main roads, it never shut anything down. I run my controller no more than half way up. I never turned mine on till I was at highway speed and just got her to leave hers off till we made it out on the main road which was about a mile from out house and if we were in town I would cut mine off and remind her to either cut it off or turn it down for the short distance we were in traffic. Most of our cold weather rides that she was with me are 60 miles of highway and 4 stop lights in town to my dealership for an event or something.
Smkblwr

Thank you. That give me a good idea of what we are looking at. Sounds like it will amount to training ourselves on how to use them in traffic and in town
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 21 queries.