Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Perimeter Lighting Relay location  (Read 1094 times)

05Quadrasteer

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

• CVO1: 2020 Road Glide CVO
    • CVO2: 2015 Road Glide Ultra CVO
    • CVO3: 2012 Road Glide Custom CVO (totaled after hitting a deer)
Perimeter Lighting Relay location
« on: April 08, 2018, 06:16:26 PM »

To all,

Been trying to figure out why the led lights to the saddle bag and inside the tour pack aren't on now when I turn off the bike.  From what I can figure it appears I have no power to the Perimeter Lighting Relay.  The problem though is I can't figure out where this relay is at.  Do any of you know where this relay is?

Bill
Bill
2023 Road Glide CVO
2015 Road Glide Ultra CVO
2012 Road Glide Custom CVO (totaled after hitting a deer)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Perimeter Lighting Relay location
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 07:28:06 PM »

The perimeter lighting relay is on a separate bracket along with the pwr lock relay and pwr unlock relay.  I'm not certain where the bracket is attached, but it's somewhere under the seat and/or sidecovers.  Look at the attachment for what the bracket and relays look like.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 07:30:46 PM »

You can tell which relay is for the perimeter lighting by referring to this attachment.  It has four wires to its connector whereas the lock and unlock relays have five wires.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

05Quadrasteer

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 08:20:22 PM »

Thank you for the info and pic of what to look for.  I have an idea that is under the seat in front of the battery.  That is a presumption based on the other connectors in that lower left picture.  If I get home from work early enough tomorrow and still have daylight I will get into looking for it.

Will send an update once I do find it.

Bill
Bill
2023 Road Glide CVO

05Quadrasteer

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 08:04:45 PM »

Found the relays, they are under the right side cover.  Don't know the official name of the cover but the one that is in front of the saddlebag.

Lots of corrosion on the connections.  So I pulled all three relays out, they all have the same part number.  Thinking was I could swap them around to confirm it is a relay issue.

Well it turns out the relay for the perimeter lights has one less prong on it than the other two.  So I cleaned things up best I could and put them all back in.  Now the power lock doesn't work, I did swap those two relays and the same problem, so I know those relays are good.

Going to do further research now to find out the cost of all the relays.  Also need to find out the part number the mounting assembly the relays go into, replace it since it is so corroded.

GRC,

Do you happen to have a another part of the picture you showed that has the part numbers?

Thanks for all the help.

Bill
Bill
2023 Road Glide CVO

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 08:47:39 PM »

This is the link to the page where I got the part diagram and part numbers. You might want to bookmark that site, it's the most up-to-date one I've found for Harley part numbers.

https://shop.outpostalaska.com/oempartfinder.htm#/Harley-Davidson%C2%AE/FLTRUSE_1TAN_CVO_ROAD_GLIDE_(2015)/WIRING_HARNESS,_MAIN_(6_OF_8)/99891-15%5CTA/FLTRUSE_1TAN_CVO_ROAD_GLIDE_(2015)//WIRING_HARNESS,

I didn't see separate part numbers for the different relays, which seems very strange but then again we are talking about Harley.  I checked the parts list for the similarly equipped CVO Limited, and it had the same illustration and list.  I have to believe the relays have separate part numbers (the lock and unlock relays should be the same, but the lighting relay should be a different number).  Unless someone else around here knows the answer, you may need to find a good parts guy at a dealership to help track down what you need.

Jerry

05Quadrasteer

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 07:40:52 PM »

Thank you for the link, I have saved it.  Will most likely call my favorite dealership to setup an appointment to talk with the tech about what I did for troubleshooting and what parts I think are needed.  Definitely don't want to leave the bike there while they await parts.  But if he can determine what does need to be replaced I can still ride without the relays for a few days.

Bill

Bill
2023 Road Glide CVO

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 21 queries.