Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Harley Davidson is the worst company out there period!  (Read 11708 times)

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
Re: Harley Davidson is the worst company out there period!
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2018, 04:53:42 PM »

For my 2017 the dealer said be very careful with what you do as upgrades if you need warranty service.
Bill

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2018, 08:31:01 PM »

For my 2017 the dealer said be very careful with what you do as upgrades if you need warranty service.

Got the same info.  Aftermarket tuner, no warranty, aftermarket parts, same deal.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2018, 08:48:11 PM »

Got the same info.  Aftermarket tuner, no warranty, aftermarket parts, same deal.

For my new bik.... oh, wait, what am I thinking.....   :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2018, 08:59:48 PM »

For my new bik.... oh, wait, what am I thinking.....   :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

:huepfenlol2:

Can save you the trip to the dealer:  They all do that.  That sound is perfectly normal.  You need to use Genuine Harley Davidson oil, wax, blinker fluid, and bottled air from Milwaukee, WI on a 72 degree day for your tires to be balanced correctly.  Also, you already voided your warranty when you sat on your seat wearing non Harley Davidson jeans and put non HD boots on the pegs.

:huepfenlol2:

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2018, 09:41:58 PM »

I would be curious what you could spend $75K on.......even $40K on top of the original bike......some work in the motor other than Stage IV..if that is the case then the warranty is out the window. Did anybody say what caused the problem in the first place?

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2018, 12:30:02 AM »

I hope that anyone reading this takes this serious and steers clear of Harley Davidson as you will not be taken care of what’s so ever. This was my very first bike I’ve ever owned and also the worst customer service I’ve ever experienced in my 45 years on this earth. This has Just been the worst thing ever.
Looks like Harley and/or a dealer just made another customer-for-life.   ;)
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Mr. Warlock

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited - unnamed
    • CVO2: 2011 Softail Convertable "Bourbon Betty" - Traded
    • CVO3: 2005 SE FatBoy - Sold
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2018, 06:51:48 AM »

..... Paul Harvey....... And...THE REST OF THE STORY...................  :oops:
Lived hard and fast, laughed harder than humans have a right to and continue to do so.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2018, 08:28:37 AM »

..... Paul Harvey....... And...THE REST OF THE STORY...................  :oops:

I don't think the rest of the story is forthcoming.

As someone who has been saying similar things about H-D for more than ten years now, I can understand and commiserate with the anger and frustration with both their severe lack of quality and reliability as well as their customer disservice.  Without the total background on this story, I have no idea if this is just one more instance of Harley blowing someone off just to avoid paying for their sorry quality, or if the customer somehow managed to tick off the folks he dealt with and they decided to get even.  I've known H-D to give different answers to different people with the same problems, so they aren't exactly consistent in their policies.  I kind of knew when the EPA consent agreement thing came along that people at Harley would use it against some customers while still playing the wink and nod game with others.  From what I've been reading over the past year I'd say I was right.  Some people with illegal mods have claimed on this site they still had defective engines repaired or replaced under warranty, but others have claimed the opposite.  Nothing really changes at the MoCo.

I continue to take my own advice and refuse to buy anything from H-D, even a T-shirt.  I was willing to reconsider if they demonstrated a commitment to improving quality, reliability, and customer service, but over the past ten years all they've shown me is the opposite.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

2ROWDY

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2018, 09:25:01 AM »

I'm having a hard time feeling any sympathy here. First post in the other thread clearly said warranty is not my concern.
2005 FLHTCSE2, RINEHART TRUE DUALS, FUEL MOTO AC/DC AIR CLEANER, DYNOJET POWER VISION FROM FUEL MOTO.

ultrarider123

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2018, 09:53:13 AM »

This has been an interesting thread to follow.  I remember the first one from the OP (and went back to read again) so first off, if 2017 CVO Street Glide (Bill) wasn't worried about his warranty with the mods to begin with, he shouldn't be concerned about it when something goes wrong.  Looking back, the original subject received input that warned him about aftermarket mods and the loss of said warranty with aftermarket mods so he knew the deal going into this game.

If the dealer actually did tell him they would honor his warranty even after the mods and then recanted when the caca hit the fan, bad on them.  However, the OP was warned not to trust the dealer's statements either.

We aren't privy to the conversations between the OP/dealer/HD so we only have the OP side of the story.  Ranting on this site is a given.  He has every right to be upset that his applecart was turned over as we all are from time to time.  However, he can't say he went in blind to the facts.

The MoCo has had and it appears will continue to have issues with customer service, reliability, manufacturing defects due to faulty choices and/or poor workmanship in their 3rd party suppliers, etc.  The MoCo got their hand slapped/wallet drained by the EPA and 2017 was the first lock down of this type of issue.  The OP knew it going into his purchase so the MoCo, in this instance, followed the warranty guidelines and owners manual warning to the consumer...warranty will be void if.... 

It's like touching the 500 degree plate at Ruth Chris when the waiter/waitress had already warned you it was hot.  It stings but it's on us for not heeding the warnings of the experienced.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 07:23:10 AM by Haird »

J.D.

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2018, 10:36:14 AM »

This is both sad and interesting to read, with alot of well written posts.

Bottom line is they have a sumping problem on the M8 engine, that is independent of the tune used.  It's a very weasely position taken by the moco to avoid responsibility due to the aftermarket tune, even if stated up front.  People shelling out CVO money deserve better.  JMHO.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2018, 12:01:20 PM »

This is both sad and interesting to read, with alot of well written posts.

Bottom line is they have a sumping problem on the M8 engine, that is independent of the tune used.  It's a very weasely position taken by the moco to avoid responsibility due to the aftermarket tune, even if stated up front.  People shelling out CVO money deserve better.  JMHO.

I tend to very much agree with these statements. From my perspective, if there was a recall for safety or mechanical failure, the recall would be handled at no charge REGARDLESS of any and all modifications to the bike. The "weasely position" you reference, IMO, is the fact that Harley has NOT made the oil sumping and transmission fluid transfer issues into recalls. These are well known significant defects that appear to be occurring in a high enough percent of the new M8 bikes to warrant appropriate action under the terms of a recall, NOT under the terms of the warranty.

In fact, I'm quite confident that low mileage 2017 and 2018 bikes will undoubtedly have sumping engine failures and transmission fluid transfer problems well AFTER their factory warranty has expired. These failures will occur on 2017/2018 M8 stock, harley-modified and after-market modified bikes well into the future. For those bike owners that don't discover these significant failure points until after 2 yrs into their ownership, they are going to find themselves in the exact same place as this OP (assuming they don't have an extended warranty).

That being said, HD is a business that's struggling so no one should be surprised when they take the absolute least costly approach to issues they are experiencing, even if it burns some customer bridges in both the short and long term.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 12:09:52 PM by Heatwave »

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2018, 03:43:09 PM »

I don't think the rest of the story is forthcoming.

As someone who has been saying similar things about H-D for more than ten years now, I can understand and commiserate with the anger and frustration with both their severe lack of quality and reliability as well as their customer disservice.  Without the total background on this story, I have no idea if this is just one more instance of Harley blowing someone off just to avoid paying for their sorry quality, or if the customer somehow managed to tick off the folks he dealt with and they decided to get even.  I've known H-D to give different answers to different people with the same problems, so they aren't exactly consistent in their policies.  I kind of knew when the EPA consent agreement thing came along that people at Harley would use it against some customers while still playing the wink and nod game with others.  From what I've been reading over the past year I'd say I was right.  Some people with illegal mods have claimed on this site they still had defective engines repaired or replaced under warranty, but others have claimed the opposite.  Nothing really changes at the MoCo.

I continue to take my own advice and refuse to buy anything from H-D, even a T-shirt.  I was willing to reconsider if they demonstrated a commitment to improving quality, reliability, and customer service, but over the past ten years all they've shown me is the opposite.

JMHO - Jerry

I think you've said it well Jerry. 

If this isn't my last motorcycle, here's my future (not that BMWs don't have their issues, but nothing like HD)....

https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=114990.msg1461371#msg1461371
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Designflaw

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KY

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2018, 03:44:57 PM »

Not that this helps at all, but direct from Harleys Settlement with the EPA which is available at www.epa.gov - I recommend everyone read the Decree. It interesting at best. https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2017-12/documents/harleydavidson-cd.pdf

"14. Denial of Warranty
A. Defendants shall deny all warranty claims for functional defects of powertrain components for any Harley Davidson Vehicle (model year 2017 or later) registered in the United States, if any defendants have information to show that such vehicle was tuned using a Tuning Product that was not covered by a California ARB Executive Order or otherwise approved by EPA."

So, no matter how friendly your Dealer is, MoCo paid 12 Mil and agreed to the above. I also learned that when they are plugged into the HD Service Computer they report the mapping without the Tech being able to do anything about it. The Decree even notes that Dealers with that knowledge must also comply.

As far as aftermarket parts, its still per the Mag/Moss ruling. But tuning is no game anymore.

I bought the extended warranty because of some of the stories I have heard and for 35,000 I care to keep it. I will be changing my exhaust, but will stay with the HD Tuner until I'm tired and ready to change more.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 03:59:32 PM by Designflaw »
2017 FLHXSE CVO Sunburst Orange/Starfire Black
Performance: HP 99 TQ 121
Stage II = HD Torque Cam SE8-447
Rinehart Slimline, 4" Cans
HD Tuner w/ Wideband module
Screaming Eagle Front Fork internals, Tuned Rear

Appearance:
Blacking out all chrome and bolts. (Work in progress)
Custom color matched carbon fiber parts
HD Passing Lamps and LED lamps

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2018, 03:52:38 PM »

For me the worst company by far is Comcast.  Harley may have it's problems, but when it comes to Comcast, HD is not even in the race.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 22 queries.