Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: my one day review of the BMW K1600B  (Read 26664 times)

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
Re: my one day review of the BMW K1600B
« Reply #150 on: June 10, 2018, 05:08:32 PM »

Looked at a B yesterday. Seat is very uncomfortable and no back-rest available. No passenger backrest.  EVERYONE has the same color. Mufflers are butt ugly. No GPS. crappy stereo, guy riding one I looked at said no hear above 60 and it sucked below in quality, No accessory tourpak (and don't say look at the GA, it will only run 101 and if you do some searching on internet they say above 80 loaded it is sketchy. Power is good, shifter deal is slick. $500 for required valve adjustment and spark plugs (old style mechanical lifters), rider stated he was advised by dealer PRIOR to purchase, If we don't do maintenance, we don't warranty. Very limited dealer locations.
Whoa, scary proposition. We all have different wants and needs but you would really have to want quicker shifting and more power to want one of these. IMHO.

mark

« Reply #151 on: June 11, 2018, 11:15:27 AM »

JM2C:  Backrest and seat available from several aftermarket vendors.  GPS is an option.  Expensive service?  Everyone here should be immune to that.  Dealer network...perhaps BMWs are reliable enough they don’t require a dealer in every little town.  Tour pack...the aftermarket folks will address this, I’m sure.  Same color?  Let’s see what 2019 brings for color choices...this was BMWs initial offering.  BTW, isn’t black the default HD color?

Regarding the warranty...I’d feel better getting that from BMW, rather than from a customer, who got his info from someone at a dealer. 

Fatboy

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Orange Crush" 94Hp / 119Tq
« Reply #152 on: June 11, 2018, 11:35:33 AM »

Looked at a B yesterday. Seat is very uncomfortable and no back-rest available. No passenger backrest.  EVERYONE has the same color. Mufflers are butt ugly. No GPS. crappy stereo, guy riding one I looked at said no hear above 60 and it sucked below in quality, No accessory tourpak (and don't say look at the GA, it will only run 101 and if you do some searching on internet they say above 80 loaded it is sketchy. Power is good, shifter deal is slick. $500 for required valve adjustment and spark plugs (old style mechanical lifters), rider stated he was advised by dealer PRIOR to purchase, If we don't do maintenance, we don't warranty. Very limited dealer locations.
Whoa, scary proposition. We all have different wants and needs but you would really have to want quicker shifting and more power to want one of these. IMHO.

Maybe the new Honda Goldwing would better meet your needs. Fact remains we all love our Harley's but both bikes (Honda & BMW) are clearly far superior and more reliable than anything the MOCO has ever cranked out. Maybe in 20 years we'll have parity if everyone else stands still......

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #153 on: June 11, 2018, 11:35:46 AM »

Here's a small bonus if you buy the new BMW and have a Garmin 660 laying around. The 1600B comes with a built in dock for a GPS but it's not included. They charge something like 900.00 bucks for the BMW/Garmin unit. I opened up the slot and removed the block off plate and thought damm that looks familiar. Had my old 660 laying around that I kept when I sold my 2012 CVO. Slid right in and powered up! Only negative is the Nav menu will not run it. Have to use the touch screen. I love seeing the HD Logo in the middle of the BMW dash.

Steve@fullsac.com

I  used a 660 when I first bought my BMW. Then I switch to the BMW version because of the incorporated dial wheel control. In the end that was a waste of money. The dial wheel steps are too numerous for me to find it useful. Of course that is coming from a guy that hasn't learned Basecamp yet either. One plus for the BMW branded Garmin is that it's a unification point for all the BT devices so that it properly operated SiriusXM, Navigation, Phone, and my Sena 10s.  I am running the BMW Garmin Navigator IV but they have a Navigator V out now with even more capability. BMW overprices their Garmin Nav so try to catch it on sale. No one likes to spend $999 on a Garmin devices, no matter how complicated.. oh I mean "capable".

DH

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #154 on: June 11, 2018, 11:45:19 AM »

Hmm.. you got a lot of discussion points here.

Seat sucks - Yes .. solution, if you are serious about riding more than 250 in a day, get a Russell Day Long seat (imho).
Backrest - you can get that as an option on the RDL.
Passenger Backrest - need to look at aftermarket.
GPS Navigation - an option. You want them to build it into the base of the bike then it would add $1k
Stereo - Yeah it's not a concert hall but then again neither is the stock harley solution. I would recommend going wireless BT to the helmet.

Detachable cases ... well this is where I prefer the GT/GTL. I don't like the B/GA just because of permanent attachment.

Service, you can service it yourself. They do have a dummy "service" flag that sets every 6k and you need to pay to get that reset. Sucks but the reset costs me $25 at my local dealer.

You will find that BMW OEM parts cost a LOT of $$$ and if something expensive/complicated goes wrong you want the shop to fix it. You will also want a warranty and perhaps an extended warranty. You won't ruin the warranty by changing your own fluids.

On the valves. Most dealers check the valve adjustment and you only get charged if they are out of specification and need to be adjusted. They will be a lesser inspection fee.

MightyTharg

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #155 on: June 11, 2018, 01:02:07 PM »

Service, you can service it yourself. They do have a dummy "service" flag that sets every 6k and you need to pay to get that reset. Sucks but the reset costs me $25 at my local dealer.

Guess you could reset it yourself with the GS-911, I'm told it'll interact with the abs so you can properly bleed the brakes too   https://www.gs911usa.com/

My order for a GT sport is currently being processed.

Cheers

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #156 on: June 11, 2018, 02:35:08 PM »

Guess you could reset it yourself with the GS-911, I'm told it'll interact with the abs so you can properly bleed the brakes too   https://www.gs911usa.com/

My order for a GT sport is currently being processed.

Cheers

Thanks.. you showed me something new today.

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #157 on: June 11, 2018, 07:52:22 PM »

Amazing how folks on a HD forum defend euro bikes. I read all the ways to correct the faults that the B has, none of them would appeal to me, but then neither does anything motorized from Europe or Japan. Just the way I was raised. I try to only buy USA stuff, takes a little effort but we try.

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #158 on: June 11, 2018, 08:48:41 PM »

Before switching from 28 years on Harleys to the new BMW K1600B I did my due diligence. First, the valve adjustment is every 18K, when you consider Harleys 10K services the overall cost is very close.

I've owned 12 new Harleys and every one required some warranty work. My BMW K1600B has not, it simply runs like a fine peace of machinery.

I still like Harleys, there just not the same thing. Like comparing a Camaro to a Ferrari. Each has it's strengths but very different.

The greatest down side to the BMW is price of parts and lack of accessories. On the other hand they don't sell you a starter kit, this is a GREAT motorcycle right off the showroom floor.

Riding it is so much fun. Nothing else like it. So comfortable I could ride all day, you really can't tell how good this bike is with a test ride, it takes months of ownership to take it all in, to learn shifting without a clutch, braking with the hand brake only and making the proper suspension adjustments.

In my opinion, the BMW straight 6cyl engine is the best powerplant available in a touring motorcycle. Nothing else comes close, regardless of your modifications.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #159 on: June 11, 2018, 11:04:39 PM »

Before switching from 28 years on Harleys to the new BMW K1600B I did my due diligence. First, the valve adjustment is every 18K, when you consider Harleys 10K services the overall cost is very close.

I've owned 12 new Harleys and every one required some warranty work. My BMW K1600B has not, it simply runs like a fine peace of machinery.

I still like Harleys, there just not the same thing. Like comparing a Camaro to a Ferrari. Each has it's strengths but very different.

The greatest down side to the BMW is price of parts and lack of accessories. On the other hand they don't sell you a starter kit, this is a GREAT motorcycle right off the showroom floor.

Riding it is so much fun. Nothing else like it. So comfortable I could ride all day, you really can't tell how good this bike is with a test ride, it takes months of ownership to take it all in, to learn shifting without a clutch, braking with the hand brake only and making the proper suspension adjustments.

In my opinion, the BMW straight 6cyl engine is the best powerplant available in a touring motorcycle. Nothing else comes close, regardless of your modifications.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk
All good to hear Scott!
Alan

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #160 on: June 12, 2018, 09:23:57 AM »

I saw that San Jose BMW has two lowering brackets. 1.25 drop and 2.50 drop. Kind of pricey at $299. As well as  a lower factory seat.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #161 on: June 12, 2018, 09:37:27 AM »

Yes, there are a couple of lowering options for the B and the GA and most dealerships out here are ordering them with the "Low" seat.  But Terry......why would you be looking at all of this?  :nixweiss:            :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:   Maybe it has something to do with the B as low as $19,995 on Cycle Trader?  Jusayinzall

Did you see Steve's (Fullsac) video of the dash while it was on the dyno?  Maybe he'll post it here. 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 09:44:33 AM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

ultrarider123

« Reply #162 on: June 12, 2018, 09:46:46 AM »

I saw that San Jose BMW has two lowering brackets. 1.25 drop and 2.50 drop. Kind of pricey at $299. As well as  a lower factory seat.

Hey Terry, I posted this in a previous thread and I'm not sure how tall you are but I'm 5'6" and on the B with the lower seat (and I was wearing tennis shoes not my normal riding boots) I was using the ball of my foot and toes and not completely flat footed straddling it in the showroom.  Funny but the GA/GTL (or whatever the non-B was) with the lower seat sitting right next to the "B", same scenario, I was just about flat footed.  With my normal boots, I believe my feet would be flat but it would still be a stretch for me to feel comfortable.

Those lowering brackets would be worth the money to me if I were serious about a move to either BMW model....

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #163 on: June 12, 2018, 10:05:58 AM »

Yes, there are a couple of lowering options for the B and the GA and most dealerships out here are ordering them with the "Low" seat.  But Terry......why would you be looking at all of this?  :nixweiss:            :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:   Maybe it has something to do with the B as low as $19,995 on Cycle Trader?  Jusayinzall

Did you see Steve's (Fullsac) video of the dash while it was on the dyno?  Maybe he'll post it here.
;D
Juz looking. The low seat option is 29.5" My inseam is 28. Also another reason I didn't buy a new HD with the hammock seat I was bareley on my toes. No I have not seen the video.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #164 on: June 12, 2018, 10:11:10 AM »

Hey Terry, I posted this in a previous thread and I'm not sure how tall you are but I'm 5'6" and on the B with the lower seat (and I was wearing tennis shoes not my normal riding boots) I was using the ball of my foot and toes and not completely flat footed straddling it in the showroom.  Funny but the GA/GTL (or whatever the non-B was) with the lower seat sitting right next to the "B", same scenario, I was just about flat footed.  With my normal boots, I believe my feet would be flat but it would still be a stretch for me to feel comfortable.

Those lowering brackets would be worth the money to me if I were serious about a move to either BMW model....
I'm 5'6" as well. Thanks for the info. 
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 21 queries.