Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Biketronics system  (Read 1432 times)

North Star

• CANADA- Love it or Leave it
  • 1K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road Glide- Orange/Black
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monter 821- Star White
New Biketronics system
« on: June 10, 2018, 10:35:27 PM »

My Hawg Wired which I bought used a few years back was starting to have issues- one of the speakers kept cutting out. May have just needed a crossover replaced again, but like any good CVO forum member, I decided to use this opportunity to upgrade.

Decided on the Biketronics set up based on all the good reviews and a buddy's recommendation. Got the 7.1 Pro speakers and the BT2250 amp, so it is their top of the line two-speaker set up. I am running the stock head unit.

Had it installed, and my initial impressions were that it was not quite what I was expecting. Everybody was telling me it would blow me away, but the damn thing has to be turned up to almost full volume to be as loud as my Hawg Wired was at half volume. The amp is working because I can hear the fan running. I did test it using my ipod and a CD, but either with either source the volume is the same. Basically it has to be on full blast to have it at a good volume on the highway. On my Hawg Wired, I couldn't even turn it to half under the same conditions.

I spoke to both Donna and Mike at Biketronics, who are awesome to deal with as per their reputation. Mike explained that the system is designed to have a larger range of volume adjustability, so it is supposed to be turned up more that my old system. He had me test it for distortion by turning it up to full with the engine running. Apparently it should distort at the last 2 bars. When I tested it, it's about that, but there was very little distortion, so not sure if there is any power left on the table from the existing amp adjustments.

The amp isn't adjustable and comes set from BT, so Mike sent me an adjustable variable line converter, assumingly to raise the gain adjustment. Once I get it hooked up, I'll call him for instructions.

Funny thing is I went a ride today and at like 50-60 mph on back roads, it seemed that half volume was plenty loud. Not sure if the speakers needed to break in or what. Maybe my expectations were too high, I don't know. It is noticeably clearer at louder volumes than the HW though. Guess I'll give it some more ride time, then once I get the line converter, install that and see what happens.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 10:37:49 PM by North Star »
2009 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide- Electric Orange/Vivid Black
GMR 113", GMR 600 cams, Fullac DX & Kuryakyn Crushers, SE Heavy Breather, tuned by "Dyno Dave" Stoddart
Jagg 10 row fan assisted oil cooler
Axeo Legends/Ohlins 3-3/True Track front and rear
C&C Fastback seat w/orange flame stitching & a Le Pera Maverick
PYO Monkey Bars- 10"
Freedom Shields 12" light grey
Hawg Wired "six pack"amp/speakers, Iron Cross ipod interface
HD Daymaker headlights
Detachable King Tour Pak in Electric Orange

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
Re: New Biketronics system
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 10:17:59 AM »

Interesting, I've had really good luck with their products in the past and excellent customer service from Bill. I'm sure they'll get you straightened out. They also have a lifetime warranty on their products.
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

OldSkull

• 2013 FLHTCUSE8
    • OK

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 01:20:53 PM »

Think your hearing the result of the AVC automatic volume control.
the HD system AVC I set at is either 3 or 4 bars.
Just sitting or riding slow, the sound is not max even at full volume.
BUT, with the AVC adjusted, and the volume at about a quarter, Take off, get up to 40 or 50, wait a few minutes, and you will hear the logic kick in and get very loud.

This is my experience with last two bikes, so hope it works for you.

Regular volume is NOT same as the AVC volume, different set of internal amp workings.

2013 FLHTCUSE8
"Sookie"
Bassani Slant Slip-ons / V&H True Duels / Super Sucker II, HD Tuner/Dyno, Covington Cycles Chrome Inserts, Mustang Duel Heated Seat, D-Gerbing Heated Gear System / Custom Run/Brake/Turn for Rear Lighting, Progressive Shocks / Chrome Primary Case, Ram Camera Mount/Iron Braid Levers-bag Guard

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 02:10:34 PM »

also, you aren't doing an apples to apples comparison.  who cares if you have to turn the volume up higher, the big question is 'does it sound better'?  that's what is important.  the other stuff is just a number.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 21 queries.