Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Problematic lifter (years)?  (Read 4668 times)

MCE

Problematic lifter (years)?
« on: August 07, 2018, 12:43:01 PM »

Got a friend with a 2015 DynaWG. 3300 miles (yeah, he rides it allot)

He's describing an intermittent tap-tap-tap noise. I told him that it may
be a lifter acting up. But with that low mileage IDK for sure.

Is 2015 one of those years that are known for crappy(er) lifters? I told
him we could try S&S lifters and adjustable push rods to see if that fixes
it.

TIA to anyone that can offer advice or a better solution.

J.D.

Re: Problematic lifter (years)?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 12:49:11 PM »

Circa 2009-2010 Harley switched from the Delphi USA "B" lifter to the MEX "C" lifter.  The current S&S std lifter is essentially the "B" lifter.

Not impossible to have a bad lifter at this mileage.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 11:20:45 AM »

So are the B lifters good for more than 15-20k or should they be swapped out at that mileage also?

J.D.

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 11:37:03 AM »

Pretty much any lifter in the big TC engines need regular replacement.  B lifters are generally more robust than C version.  I particularly liked the (also now superseded) SE version of the B lifter (#18572-07) if you can find them.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 11:58:39 AM »

So are the B lifters good for more than 15-20k or should they be swapped out at that mileage also?

Two different issues involved.  The change from the B to the C lifters involved cheaper internal parts that created a leak down and slow to pump up issue not common on the B lifters.  Part of the "cost reduction even though it reduces quality" program at Harley.  The problem of the roller bearing failing on 110 engines is more about the cams and valves/springs than about the lifter rollers.  Even the SE version with the heavier duty roller bearings eventually fail in the 110's.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

MCE

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 12:46:47 PM »

It's definitely the front EX lifter. A set of S&S is going in. (Cheap harley crap going in the waste can)

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 10:10:39 PM »

They are delphi's, not bad, hylift with axle oiling are better and yet to be proven bushing hydraulic rollers are touted as being better yet.

MCE

bushing lifters
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 10:38:13 PM »

+1

As far as the bushing lifters go; they may not be totally proven from a mileage/longevity
standpoint.

A solid bushing would be far more tolerant of shock loads (valve float). Shock loads destroys
rollers faster than normal wear.

It could be a friction vs. durability thing tradeoff.

may have to try them.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 11:06:26 PM by MCE Performance »

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2018, 12:54:09 PM »

With lash I think the bushing rollers work better actually. Get ready for the cost, they are proud of them, $410 list

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2018, 03:32:53 PM »

Read these threads as they occasionally come up and too often almost casually discuss "hey, how many miles before you change lifters?".  Can you imagine the howl if any other large automobile manufacturer produced an engine in which a significant internal engine component ought to be replaced at something close to annual mileage for regular automobile driving. 

Friend of mine's bike was in my garage just a few weeks with a front lifter failing.  Just starting to skate and just starting to make a little noise.  Fortunately caught it very early.  But could have started coming apart literally any distance ahead.  Had less than 20,000 miles (I think that's right) since had been replaced prophylactically a couple years ago.  Using good parts too.  This time went with the Johnson 2313SE parts and keeping fingers crossed.

How far can a manufacturer hide its head in the sand when it can be said "hey, my Vega timing belt can SAFELY go three times as long as I trust my modern Harley's lifters."

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2018, 01:47:08 PM »

Friend of mine's bike was in my garage just a few weeks with a front lifter failing.  Just starting to skate and just starting to make a little noise.  Fortunately caught it very early.  But could have started coming apart literally any distance ahead.  Had less than 20,000 miles (I think that's right) since had been replaced prophylactically a couple years ago.  Using good parts too.  This time went with the Johnson 2313SE parts and keeping fingers crossed.

How far can a manufacturer hide its head in the sand when it can be said "hey, my Vega timing belt can SAFELY go three times as long as I trust my modern Harley's lifters."

The aforementioned lifter...

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2018, 11:28:34 PM »

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2018, 03:40:05 AM »

OMG that is jaw dropping.

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2018, 01:31:56 PM »

OMG that is jaw dropping.

If you think the picture is bad, you should have heard the noise it was making.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2018, 02:40:57 PM »

If you think the picture is bad, you should have heard the noise it was making.

Noise schmoise.  Just be glad we caught it when it had only skated just a little and before any real shrapnel happened.  Then it would have ugly.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2018, 02:58:25 PM »

Re:  How far can a manufacturer hide its head in the sand when it can be said "hey, my Vega timing belt can SAFELY go three times as long as I trust my modern Harley's lifters."

Millions of cam-in-block pushrod automotive engines that use various versions of the same lifters are racking up a hundred thousand or more miles without changing a single lifter.  Not only should Harley be ashamed of themselves, they should be forced to pay for all the premature failures.  But there again, in order to feel ashamed of something you produce and sell, you need to actually give a chit about your customers.  No evidence of that so far.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2018, 05:21:58 PM »

Noise schmoise.  Just be glad we caught it when it had only skated just a little and before any real shrapnel happened.  Then it would have ugly.

I know.  Had that happened I might have had to think about retiring Kermit.   :o

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2018, 09:09:13 PM »

Re:  How far can a manufacturer hide its head in the sand when it can be said "hey, my Vega timing belt can SAFELY go three times as long as I trust my modern Harley's lifters."

Millions of cam-in-block pushrod automotive engines that use various versions of the same lifters are racking up a hundred thousand or more miles without changing a single lifter.  Not only should Harley be ashamed of themselves, they should be forced to pay for all the premature failures.  But there again, in order to feel ashamed of something you produce and sell, you need to actually give a chit about your customers.  No evidence of that so far.

Jerry

Absolutely.  Well said...

I rarely ride by SEUC anymore.  I am sick and tired of changing lifters!  And paying for lifters!   >:( >:( >:(

Most of my riding is my 2000 FXR and EVO motor...  Quiet and trouble free.
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

MCE

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2018, 12:21:11 PM »

Jerry

It's all about the bottom line, bonuses for the executives, shareholder value. The end users are the last thing on their
minds and those folks are left holding the bag.

To me, it would be worth adding a few bucks to the cost of the bikes by putting in quality parts where there are known
issues (at least).

But they obviously don't see it that way. :/
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 12:58:33 PM by MCE Performance »

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2018, 08:19:03 AM »

Funny thing about this thread (not really) is we have been fighting this lifter issue since Harley started producing the 110 motor. I'm sure there might have been a few 103 lifter issues but I really don't remember any. I have a 2014 110 punched to 113. When I did the build some 36000 miles ago I tried to use the best parts available. I broke the cases and installed a new S&S crank, went with a feuling pump plate and lifters, Zippers did the heads and bored the cylinders. That was 2 1/2 years ago. Now I didn't have any problems but I had installed TC24D cams in the motor when I built it and wanted to change them to T Man 600sm's. Also I wasn't sure but I thought I may be having issues with oil pressure. I called and talked to Feuling and also talked to Axel about the oil pressure at idle. Everyone thought that there was an issue. I removed the oil pump and it looked new. I pressure checked the cam plate and the relief valve was opening early. I replace the spring and put the bike back together. I now have GREAT oil pressure.

Now back to the thread. While on the phone with Feuling I asked how long should their lifters last. I was told that if everything is set up right ( even spring pressures) that they should last the life of the engine. The life of the engine????? Really????? Yes the life of the engine. We know the factory lifters are junk. I personally use either Feuling or S&S premium lifters on any build or lifter replacement I do in my shop. I have yet to have a lifter failure. But we all know that can change.

Now for the $64000 question. Why all of the problems with the dreaded 110 motor and not the 103's?????

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

MCE

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2018, 09:57:21 AM »

Some of my observations; 110s have a ton of (unneeded) valve spring seat pressure. Secondly, they've been cutting corners
in their manufacturing processes as the years go by.

Crankshafts for an example; Run-out in the .007" range is not uncommon. (.003" used to be considered the max.)
They don't put "real" bearings in the cam chest anymore. Loose guides, missing valve stem seals, I could go on....

Most "changes" they implement are centered around making the bikes less expensive to produce, rather than making them
more robust.

Steering head bearings is another one; I bought a brand new bike several years ago and the steering head bearings
rattled over bumps from day-one (on the ride home) and gradually got worse. Harley wouldn't fix it because "that's a maintenance
issue". HUH?

A brand new bike has "maintenance issues"? Shouldn't they check/adjust that when they build it or service it? What a crock of $hit!

I'm sure others here will chime in and cite some other examples. But those are the ones that stand out in my mind.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2018, 02:53:23 PM »

Funny thing about this thread (not really) is we have been fighting this lifter issue since Harley started producing the 110 motor. I'm sure there might have been a few 103 lifter issues but I really don't remember any. I have a 2014 110 punched to 113. When I did the build some 36000 miles ago I tried to use the best parts available. I broke the cases and installed a new S&S crank, went with a feuling pump plate and lifters, Zippers did the heads and bored the cylinders. That was 2 1/2 years ago. Now I didn't have any problems but I had installed TC24D cams in the motor when I built it and wanted to change them to T Man 600sm's. Also I wasn't sure but I thought I may be having issues with oil pressure. I called and talked to Feuling and also talked to Axel about the oil pressure at idle. Everyone thought that there was an issue. I removed the oil pump and it looked new. I pressure checked the cam plate and the relief valve was opening early. I replace the spring and put the bike back together. I now have GREAT oil pressure.

Now back to the thread. While on the phone with Feuling I asked how long should their lifters last. I was told that if everything is set up right ( even spring pressures) that they should last the life of the engine. The life of the engine????? Really????? Yes the life of the engine. We know the factory lifters are junk. I personally use either Feuling or S&S premium lifters on any build or lifter replacement I do in my shop. I have yet to have a lifter failure. But we all know that can change.

Now for the $64000 question. Why all of the problems with the dreaded 110 motor and not the 103's?????

Be Safe

THE DAWG
Valid question, the valve springs are the came for the cvo103 and 110. Same pressure profile

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2018, 06:57:36 PM »

Is this a 2313SE? How many miles did that one make it? I have heard good reports on these lifters, I have set that are going in in the next few days.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2018, 08:09:58 PM »

Is this a 2313SE? How many miles did that one make it? I have heard good reports on these lifters, I have set that are going in in the next few days.

No it wasn't.  It was replaced with the 2313SE lifters though.

lowflight

• Senior CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2018, 03:16:14 PM »

No it wasn't.  It was replaced with the 2313SE lifters though.

:2vrolijk_21: That makes me feel a bit better.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2018, 11:27:13 PM »

:2vrolijk_21: That makes me feel a bit better.

I've got to feel the same way.  A set of the B2313SE are here brand new in a box just waiting to get used with the engine work happening in my old Road Glide sometime (hopefully) sooner rather then later.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2018, 10:45:19 AM »

Because of the added weight of the valve springs (not pressure), heavier valves, flexy pushrods, and a fast profile cam. Took the mediocre lifters right over the top. Add good lifters and life is extended but the problem, root cause, is not fixed
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 12:08:42 PM by HD Street Performance »
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 21 queries.