Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sticky Clutch  (Read 1099 times)

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
Sticky Clutch
« on: August 17, 2018, 05:28:33 PM »

Just finished the complete rebuild of my '05 SEEG (lifter failure).  Started right up, let it build up oil pressure and everything is good.  Had pulled the clutch (left it as a complete assembly) to pull the primary and the whole thing sat for probably 6 months.  Put it back together - carefully and correctly, checking the movement of the pressure plate with the clutch pull. 

Started it up and let it warm up for 3 or 4 minutes.  Pulled in the  clutch, put it in gear and off she went - with the clutch lever still pulled in.  Did this about three times in a row, had to shut it off to get it back in neutral each time.  Hydraulic clutch and clutch pull feels normal.

Hoping that the plates are just really sticky but any thoughts and suggestions are welcome.  It is sitting in the garage with a zip tie holding the clutch lever for the next couple of days as I won't be able to get back to it until Sunday.  Thanks in advance.
2003 Special Edition Firefighter Road King
2005 Cherry Screamin Eagle Electra Glide

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
Re: Sticky Clutch
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 10:51:55 AM »

Has the clutch fluid been flushed and Master Cylinder cleaned. Just did mine and couldn't believe how dirty the MC was.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 01:57:50 PM »

If I read that right, you verified the hydraulics by watching the pressure plate movement while cycling the clutch lever.  Did you actually measure the amount of travel to make sure it was moving far enough to release the clutch?  The spec on the '05's is 0.065" (1.65mm) minimum.

It's not uncommon for the plates to stick together after sitting for months, but after only six months I would think it shouldn't be difficult to break them loose.  I've always done it on a center stand with the rear wheel slightly elevated, and used the brake pedal to jolt the plates loose.  Easier and safer than having the bike take off toward the nearest solid object, as predicted by Murphy.  Since I switched to automatic trans fluid several years ago, I haven't had a significant sticking problem. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 03:09:06 PM »

Yes, movement was visually verified prior to putting the primary cover back on.  Didn't measure but 1.65mm isn't much and it was easy to see it moving at least that much.  I'll let it warm up a bit more tomorrow and see if I can pop them loose.  Worse case I can always pull the derby cover and work through that.

Thanks.
2003 Special Edition Firefighter Road King
2005 Cherry Screamin Eagle Electra Glide

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 21 queries.