Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dealer advice  (Read 1879 times)

JONNIEROCK

• Full CVO Member
Dealer advice
« on: August 17, 2018, 08:55:17 PM »

I've have  a 2012 CVO Road Glide,Today someone told me, that worked at a Harley dealership that by using CD's burnt on your computer in MP3 or what I believe is data format, and then using them in your Harmon /  Kardon that this wreck the HK system. This can't possible be true. I'd have to carry 100 cd's plus what's the advantage of having a stereo that can play condensed music files and then not be able to use this. Any help on the subject would be greatly appreciated. Computers and downloading is not my expertise.   
​​​​​​​                                                 Thanks Jonnierock

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
Re: Dealer advice
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 09:06:14 PM »

I don't know about the 2012 but my 2011 had an iPod in the saddlebag from Harley. You may need to consider an iPod interface if your HK doesn't have a USB port. You might check with HD website or wait for someone with more knowledge to answer.

I checked the HD site and the iPod interface module works up to 2013 models. So that was likely their solution before Rushmore.

Here's the link: https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/boom!-audio-ipod-interface#tabs

Good luck,
Simon

JONNIEROCK

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 10:38:28 PM »

Yes it has MP3 player in the right saddlebag. But burning my own CD’s in data form, I can get about 180 tunes on one cd and the sound is 100% better

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 10:56:31 PM »

I have the same bike and I have found a IPhone or iPad recorded at highest level sounds much better than CD's recorded at highest level.I regularly switch back and forth depending on which music I am feeling and huge difference in clarity
Alan

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 11:26:01 PM »

I have the same bike and I have found a IPhone or iPad recorded at highest level sounds much better than CD's recorded at highest level.I regularly switch back and forth depending on which music I am feeling and huge difference in clarity

Do you know if an iPod to iPhone adapter might do the trick to get more songs. Seems to me the iPod had a fairly decent size storage. I think it depends on the sampling rate when it comes to the size of the song files.

DesertHOG

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• Join me on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 11:29:58 PM »

I've have  a 2012 CVO Road Glide,Today someone told me, that worked at a Harley dealership that by using CD's burnt on your computer in MP3 or what I believe is data format, and then using them in your Harmon /  Kardon that this wreck the HK system. This can't possible be true. I'd have to carry 100 cd's plus what's the advantage of having a stereo that can play condensed music files and then not be able to use this. Any help on the subject would be greatly appreciated. Computers and downloading is not my expertise.   

Hey Jonnie,

It just came to me, the guys that would have your no bullchit answer on the CD and your file format would be Iron Cross Audio.

http://www.ironcrossaudio.com/

Give them a call and get the answer from the experts. Then come back here and share your new found wisdom.

Simon aka DesertHOG

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 07:26:56 AM »

I've got several cd's burnt by me in mp3 format with over 120 songs each that I have used in my 09 for years and no problems to date.

:bananarock:
Wut the hell was that maneuver

WTF Chuck

• IBA 74296
  • 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic Sold
    • CVO2: 2014 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO3: 2022 Screamin Eagle Road Glide Limited
    • Muck Cross Weather
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2018, 08:10:37 AM »

Sounds like a bunch of crap to me. The cd player will either read the Data format or it won't.

Fullsac DX Pipe  2" cores and screens
Dynojet  Power  Vision  Tuner
KST's
HARLEY 28 SPOKE CHROME WHEELS
Custom Dynamics Dynamic Ringz Magic Strobe-LTP
WHAT' S Next
Darkside
Ecsta PA31
195/60/16

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2018, 08:46:27 AM »

I sometimes wonder if there are any qualified and honest folks left working in Harley dealerships.  The things I've heard personally, along with all the things other people have reported in forums, makes me seriously doubt it.  Btw, do you have the manual for that radio?  It should list all the formats the unit is compatible with.  When in doubt, ignore the ignorant stuff dealerships spout and consult the manual.

Simon (DesertHog) gave you some great advice, give the folks at Iron Cross a call.  When Harley and it's dealers were jerking people around on those Harmon-Kardon radios, Iron Cross was helping people get the honest answers and fixing the stuff Harley didn't/wouldn't. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2018, 10:29:22 AM »

I have played them in my 07 all these years no issue. Agree another BS answer from dealer idiots.

electraglideclyde

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • GA

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2018, 05:00:25 PM »

I played a MP3 disc in my 06 CUSE for 12 years with no problem.  I took it out when I sold the bike to use in my 18 RGU and realized it doesn't have a CD player.   :o  So I copied all the songs onto a thumb drive.  Gotta roll with the new tech.
Hair of the Dog

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2018, 05:07:16 PM »

If you attempt to use a disc written to with a data format unreadable by the player the only thing that will happen is that the player won't read the disc.  It'll attempt to.  Probably give an error message.  But it won't physically hurt anything.  The same dealer that told you this is probably still telling people that the small molecules in synthetic oils cause leaks and that Bigfoot isn't really the ancestors of Chewbacca left here after Han and Chewie crashed on the earth "long long ago" after getting drunk at a bar and miscalculating a hyperspace jump.

JONNIEROCK

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2018, 04:58:16 PM »

This was the reply I received back from Ironcross.    There is no issues with properly formatted and burned CDs
                                Jonnierock

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2018, 10:58:14 PM »

This was the reply I received back from Ironcross.    There is no issues with properly formatted and burned CDs.
Jonnierock
I sometimes wonder if there are any qualified and honest folks left working in Harley dealerships.  Jerry
The stealerships have proved your case, Jerry.  Same answer as usual.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 21 queries.