Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: To Tune or not to Tune - that is the question  (Read 1323 times)

bkmaster1

To Tune or not to Tune - that is the question
« on: August 24, 2018, 04:36:40 PM »

I just upgraded from an '08 SE Ultra Classic Electra Glide to a '16 Road Glide Ultra - CVO.  My '08 had 45k on it when it started having what seemed like fuel system problems and I found out it had never been tuned (I purchased it used at a dealer who told me the previous owner had tuned it through them but they didn't have the tuner).  I bought my new (to me) bike at a dealer with 4,500 mi.  I believe it's completely stock (though I put 4.5 in Rinehart slip ons on it). 

When I asked the dealer if the bike needs to be tuned they said no, there's no need to tune this bike.

Are there advantages to tuning it?  What about an auto-tuner?  What are the potential disadvantages of NOT tuning it?  Recommendations for tuners in the Madison, WI area?

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
Re: To Tune or not to Tune - that is the question
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 05:02:05 PM »

even in stock trim, your bike does not need to be tuned, but can definitely benefit from it.

disadvantage to not having it done?  it'll run leaner and hotter.  probably won't blow up, but still....

you're 100 miles away from fuelmoto.  i had a 107 build on my 96 and a dyno tune from them.  i was happy.
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 10:21:16 PM »

For the '16 twin cams, assuming your bike is stock, it is tuned to minimize emissions, not performance nor longevity. A Stage 1, less restrictive (but not necessarily loud) exhaust and tune will do you bike a world of good: better throttle response, more power and cooler running. I've not tuned a stock bike but you might want to read this post about tuned v. stock:  Re: 2015 RGU: I'm Blue... So Blue...   Note the '15 and '16 motors are identical. If that doesn't convince you to get a tune....   :nixweiss:   :huepfenlol2: 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2016 SESG
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 11:49:39 PM »

I was told by a few people if you do just slip ons and the stock head pipe still has the cat in it there is no need to tune. If you put a aftermarket head pipe on then I would tune it.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 08:57:46 AM »

#1.  Are you happy with the way the bike runs now?  If so, no need to rush out and have it tuned.  Wait a short time to see if you make any changes that would affect a tune first, so you don't have to have it done again.

#2.  A tune from an excellent tuner will be an improvement over stock, but a tune from a bad tuner will be a waste of money and may create more problems than it helps.  The single most important point is finding an excellent tuner.  And when I say tuner, I'm talking about a person, not a device.  The device is just a tool, the important part is the person wielding the tool.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

hawgzilla

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 10:00:22 AM »

And when I say tuner, I'm talking about a person, not a device.  The device is just a tool, the important part is the person wielding the tool.

JMHO - Jerry

And as you eluded, some of the people tuners are just tools as well!!!!  Be careful how you choose.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 09:38:45 AM »

And as you eluded, some of the people tuners are just tools as well!!!!  Be careful how you choose.
Good one  :drink: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.