Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Radio quit  (Read 887 times)

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Ultra Tribal Orange
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Limited two tone silver
Radio quit
« on: August 27, 2018, 02:34:49 PM »

On my 13 CVO ultra Classic last weekend the music started to just quit. I could see that it was still playing but there was no sound. I flipped the switch on the dash from the speaker only position to the headset & Speaker position and my music could be heard again! About a half hour later I could not here the music again so I flipped the switch back to the speakers only position and my music could be heard once again!

Yesterday I went to take the bike out for a ride and I could not hear the music at all. Didn't make any difference if it was the MP3 player, CD player or FM radio or the Ipod. No sound could be heard. I attempted playing with the speaker switch again but that trick did not work this time.

About 3 weeks ago I had the bike at an indy to adjust and lube the head bearing. I am certain that they had to remove the lower dash panel where the speaker switch is located. Could it be I have a bad connection there? Everything worked fine for 3,500 after they worked on the bike. This problem started the last day of my 4,000 mile trip.

I did not go dig out a head set to try that to know for certain that the radio is working at all but like I said, I can see that the time stamp on the songs is moving so I know it is being played, just not heard.

Do I have a serious radio issue or am I leaning in the right direction with a bad connection at the speaker switch? I have to find my manual so I can figure out how to remove the ignition switch to get to that lower dash panel.

Thanks for the help!

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

Re: Radio quit
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 08:19:16 PM »

Well tonight I decided to mess with the bike to attempt to figure out what is going on with the radio. I read the manual and decided to run the diagnostic test before doing anything else.

No codes! AND my music was playing just fine! I could hear it no matter where the switch was, speaker A Speaker B or the combination of both! While doing the diagnostics I moved the switch around and according to the test the switch is fine.

What is baffling though is I did nothing to the bike from when I parked it Sunday and nothing was working! I did not even turn the handle bars! I simply turned the ignition on and presto I had music!

I did find an old headset and plugged it in to check that part of the system. I could not hear anything through the headset. I am thinking I have a bad cord.

So any suggestions now where to turn to? I was thinking poor connection but since nothing moved between no working and working I am doubting that diagnosis.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 11:46:43 AM »

It will happen again, this is a known issue with the Harmon Kardon radios. The edge connector on the audio circuit board is failing. Give Tony at Iron Cross Audio a call and he can fix the radio so you will not have further problems.

www.ironcrossaudio.com

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 02:46:45 PM »

Thank you for the information. Will it hurt anything to wait until winter or will trying to use the radio still cause more damage?

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 04:35:05 PM »

Thank you for the information. Will it hurt anything to wait until winter or will trying to use the radio still cause more damage?

It won't hurt anything but the problem will get worse. Cycling the power off / on sometimes gets it going again.

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 21 queries.