Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Ohlin Shock Rebuild Special  (Read 2959 times)

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
Re: Ohlin Shock Rebuild Special
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2018, 09:54:48 AM »

Can you explain this a little. I run the 159's and don't want to see the same issue. I only used the length adjustment when I initially installed the shocks to make both shocks match the unloaded swing arm. Once that was set I have not touched that adjustment again and am using 3 different preload/sag adjustments for solo, 2up, and 2up with trailer. What am I missing?

When reducing the pre-load, if the spring is also turning, the spring produces CCW friction on the on the bottom assembly. This friction could causes the bottom assemble to turn CCW, thus lengthen the shock. The blue locknut should prevent this but the CCW friction is trying to loosen it.

Lesson learned. Before adj preload i’ll put a couple of drops a lubricant between the spring and preload adjusting nut. Have a 17 and 19 mm wrench on hand (the 17mm need to be a thin wrench). The 19mm is for the blue lock nut and the 17mm is to hold the bottom assembly.

Pay attention to the bottom assembly while adj preloads.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 09:58:12 AM by Cat Eye »

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2018, 10:52:36 AM »

When reducing the pre-load, if the spring is also turning, the spring produces CCW friction on the on the bottom assembly. This friction could causes the bottom assemble to turn CCW, thus lengthen the shock. The blue locknut should prevent this but the CCW friction is trying to loosen it.

Lesson learned. Before adj preload i’ll put a couple of drops a lubricant between the spring and preload adjusting nut. Have a 17 and 19 mm wrench on hand (the 17mm need to be a thin wrench). The 19mm is for the blue lock nut and the 17mm is to hold the bottom assembly.

Pay attention to the bottom assembly while adj preloads.

Thank you. I understand now. I should probably check the lock nuts and make sure I haven't broke them loose
Most great stores start with a bad decision

CJ CYCLE

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE CVO ROAD GLIDE
    • CJ CYCLE
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2018, 10:51:19 PM »

Unless the shock is showing signs of leakage, they do not have to be rebuilt.  Should last a lot longer than 20,000 miles.  Unless you are riding in dirty conditions and bottoming out often as if you were riding MX or dirt riding.  Wow, I think Olin just sold you a bill of goods!  Sorry that happened.
CHOPS
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 21 queries.