Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Author Topic: Can't believe this one  (Read 8641 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Can't believe this one
« on: November 01, 2018, 11:14:59 AM »

I pulled the plug and went with the Michelin Commander ll  rubber.

I got the tyres from a local  Kowie dealership they said if I get the tyres from them they would mount the rubber for free,(fair enough) .
I took the wheels off the bike and down I went to get them put on the rims. All went good till the rear wheel they couldn't get the beed to seat on the rim so they said leave it with us and we'll delive it to you when it's done. I agreed and took the front wheel with me.

About an hour and a half later they arrived with the rear wheel all mounted all was good,..........then I saw it,......they had put the wheel on the tyre machine and clamped it down with the clamping jaws on the wheel belt sprocket .

This is that it did in 6 spots around the circumference of the sprocket.   I think they're going to have to replace it.

One guy said to just take the sharp burs off , I think the "V" in the teeth would cut into the belt . I called HD they said it should be replaced

What do you think?

ultrarider123

Re: Can't believe this one
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 11:20:39 AM »

Have them replace that sprocket, Pete.  Belt should have a smooth surface for correct wear...you think you've seen it all and then something comes along that makes you go huh?  I'm guessing this isn't their first rodeo on tire mounting but dang, they clamped the heck outa that thing... >:(

That would be the first and last time I'd use them if it were me 'cause you know they had to realize they damaged the belt sprocket and were hoping you wouldn't notice....

ultrarider123

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 11:23:06 AM »

One more thing....and you have probably already done it based on what you found on the sprocket....but I'd do a very good check on that tire AND rim, too.  Ain't no tellin' what they may/may not have done to the wheel and/or tire, too.

J.D.

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 11:47:14 AM »

Unreal.  I would agree with Haird and request that pulley replacement at their expense.

I could write a narrative on bad tire mounting experiences over the years, which is exactly why I bought my own tools and now do this job myself.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 12:00:30 PM »

I read about the potential difficulty getting the Mich IIs to seat before I bought my first set . . . and I've had several.  Only one time did I have that problem.  From what the dealership told me it can take quite a large volume of air to pump very quickly into the tire to get the beat to seat.  This one particular dealership I suppose just did not have a capable enough air compressor system and they took the wheel with the tire mounted to an auto tire dealership simply to have them inflate the tire and seat the bead.  No problem at all.

So I'm no sure why they had to clamp your wheel like they did.   :nixweiss:  In any case I agree with what the others said - replace that pulley and inspect your wheel for cosmetic or possibly mechanical damage.  Wouldn't want that tire to deflate. 

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 12:02:10 PM »

I'm still waiting for a call back from them, it's 3 hrs they  since they took the wheel bake to show the boss man Criss Walker they close at 5:30 I'll call them at 5 if they don't call by then.

I'm expecting to get  a load bull,bull,bull.         But I like the rubber.

J.D.

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 12:15:59 PM »

I like these tires but they are stiff.

From my limited experience removing and mounting these:
- Warm them up somehow, either with a heater or in hot sunlight
- Lube up both the tire bead and rim real good.
- Try to pop the tire on in one motion using 3 levers simultaneously (sort of an art).
- Remove valve core and seat bead using a high flow blow nozzle on your unfiltered compressor output at no more than 50psig.
- Deflate, reinstall valve core, and fill to spec with clean filtered air.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 12:21:01 PM »

They should buy you a new sprocket - at the least.  Michelins can be difficult to get the bead to seat.  Have used pull straps to hold the tire in place & taken the core out of the tire air valve.  Have never seen a sprocket damaged like yours, the things one learns when reading the internet....   :'(
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 12:51:35 PM »

:D :D :D :D it gets better,

He brought the wheel back,  the guy said the mechanic has cleaned it up . What he did was  took the tops off each tooth looks like it was done all way round . I Don know what affect this will have on the belt.
Then I noticed that the wheel was not balanced  he tried to say if wasn't  when it was taken in,.."Needless to say how I responded "
I spoke with the owner he tried to say the sprocket is half warn until  I said it's only got 23k on it and still the same belt from new then I said your man is being the wheel back because it wasn't balanced,.....think that knocked the wind out of his sails he didn't have much to say after that.

J.D.

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 01:38:51 PM »

Wow, what an outfit.

Unfortunately even a routine tire change can involve legal consultation these days.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 01:57:54 PM »

Nuts, people are just nuts.  I would press them for a new sprocket.  If that sprocket chews up your belt, bad things could happen.  Best to be safe than sorry.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2018, 02:19:01 PM »

Well the wheel is back home now and has been balanced , to what extent I won't know till I'm rolling.

In this pic if you enlarge it you can see just how deep the top of the teeth were cut into. How there's no  marks on the top of any tooth .
Correct me if I'm wrong,...but By taking the tops off each tooth , now the tooth will ride shallow in the belt lugs,..... or am I over dramatizing things.

What under normal circumstances unabused ridin is a common life spand of the belt and sprocket?

J.D.

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 02:42:41 PM »

Those squared off tops will chew up the belt.  IMHO it is ruined and must be replaced.

It's not uncommon for a belt and pulleys to go 100k.

cockawit

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2018, 02:43:47 PM »

that pulley does not look too good to me. looks like the hardened finish has came off. Mine had 146,000 before I replaced it and my rear pulley looked about the same as yours. but I also lived a kilometer up a gravel road and I believe that had a lot to do with it. if it was mine I would replace it.

ultrarider123

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2018, 03:01:59 PM »

Those squared off tops will chew up the belt.  IMHO it is ruined and must be replaced.

It's not uncommon for a belt and pulleys to go 100k.

What he said on both replies, Pete... :2vrolijk_21:

I worked on a bike a few years ago with 121,000 miles and while it needed some all over TLC, the belt and sprocket actually looked good for that many miles.

It's your bike....but, if it were mine and I'm sure most of the others here that have responded would agree, I'd never let that sprocket pull a belt on my bike with that kind of abuse.  Heck, you could probably find one at a dealer that was changed for some reason that's in better shape OR get a new one but I'd hit up those "insert your best adjective here" that boogered it up in the first place to replace it.... :2vrolijk_21:

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2018, 03:41:01 PM »

What he said on both replies, Pete... :2vrolijk_21:

I worked on a bike a few years ago with 121,000 miles and while it needed some all over TLC, the belt and sprocket actually looked good for that many miles.

It's your bike....but, if it were mine and I'm sure most of the others here that have responded would agree, I'd never let that sprocket pull a belt on my bike with that kind of abuse.  Heck, you could probably find one at a dealer that was changed for some reason that's in better shape OR get a new one but I'd hit up those "insert your best adjective here" that boogered it up in the first place to replace it.... :2vrolijk_21:

Agreed.  New sprocket, or used sprocket in very good condition.  They ruined your sprocket - my opinion.  Attempting to buff out the bad places might sound good, but is not a good solution & looks like your belt will be chewed up.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2018, 04:35:35 PM »

I agree with you guys .
I was going to take pics of the condition of the belt put the wheel on and keep a check on it. Now I've had some time to reflect on it I'm going to talk to my HD shop and run it by them to what they think of how it was handled grinding down the tops of the pulley teeth
I'll be holding off on putting the wheel on.  I'll guarantee if I put the wheel on and it chews up the belt they'll say it was nothing we did we only did a miner repair , your pulley was warn out

J.D.

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2018, 04:38:38 PM »

Belt is alot of labor and cost to replace.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2018, 04:52:58 PM »

Belt is alot of labor and cost to replace.

Tell me about it. I came to realise that when I was doing the primary work, I had a good look at what's involved with the belt replacement  :'(

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2018, 05:11:26 PM »

If you use that pulley, its going to damage your belt, at this point, If it where mine, I would replace the pulley at my expense and chalk it up to never do business with them again if they wont take care of it and by that I mean replacing the pulley, not filing it down, they should have apologized to you when you pointed it out and then they should have said 'we will replace it for you"  keep us posted
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

J.D.

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2018, 05:18:24 PM »

The cost of "free mounting".

"We'll mount it.  Didn't say anything about balancing it, and no guarantee we won't damage your parts."

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2018, 07:31:09 PM »

The cost of "free mounting".

"We'll mount it.  Didn't say anything about balancing it, and no guarantee we won't damage your parts."

Yup!!  It all started when I went in to see what it would cost me to bring in the wheels and new rubber and get the new rubber put on. They gave me a price then said if you get the rubber from us we'll install them at no extra cost (the cost of the tyres was the same so I thought it'll save me the install fee) .....well now we know that was a lie.
 So far it's cost me a bloody big headache,  my bike being off the road, and more on going concerns.

J.D.

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2018, 07:42:23 PM »

Man that sucks.  You have us and your dealer all telling you it's hosed.  Is the shop going to make things right?

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2018, 07:54:31 PM »

Just a thought....if you paid by a credit card....I would call the credit card company and dispute the charge.  Tell them what happened and that they are not willing to work with you.

They will issue you credit immediately and their resolution team will get take it from there.  I bet they will fold and you will at least get the tire out of this mess.

Good Luck

Cat

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2018, 09:03:36 PM »

Just a thought....if you paid by a credit card....I would call the credit card company and dispute the charge.  Tell them what happened and that they are not willing to work with you.

They will issue you credit immediately and their resolution team will get take it from there.  I bet they will fold and you will at least get the tire out of this mess.

Good Luck

Cat

Good suggestion!  :2vrolijk_21:

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2018, 10:11:24 PM »

Good Luck

Cat

Your on the money there mate,  I did think of that and  called the credit card company but they were closed I'm going to call again tomorrow. "No 24/7 customer service "  :-\ 

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2018, 06:26:18 AM »

Took this pic this morning
You can see better how the tops have been ground off.

I've been intuch with HD sent them pic via email  they will be emailing me on how the pulley has been damage to the point that it should be replaced.

Once I have the e-mail  I'll be getting hold of the shop to see what he intends to do about it.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2018, 02:22:44 PM »

Well I got this e-mail from my local HD dealership after I sent them pic of the pulley.

Harleys  reply,

In all my years of working for Harley-Davidson I have never seen that before.

Firstly, as to why they have clamped it like that when removing a tyre I do not understand, and secondly grinding down the teeth has now just destroyed that rear sprocket.

If you were to fit that wheel to your bike it will destroy the belt in no time. My professional opinion would be you need to have a new rear sprocket which costs £344.50.

I've been intuch with the owner of the bike dealership today  he was reluctant at first to accept  that the pulley sprocket is no longer usable.
He tried to convince me to put the wheel back on and he said if it tears up the belt in the next 2k he would then replace it and the belt plus do the install.
I told him that's not going to happen, I'm not going to take the chance of the belt tearing off when im doing 70 odd mph down the road. (Good chance he would back out anyway)
He tried using the age of the bike, I'm not going to pay for item that's been on a 11yr old bike,..i said what's the age got to do with it!, the fact is,.. it's  the original sprocket with the original belt and the belt is in good condition
After a good fourty minutes later knocking it back and forth,....he agreed to pay half the cost to replace it," and he almost pulled a fast one" but I cought it,
I told him you being a dealership you pay the tax and shipping costs I'll only pay half the cost after your wholesale discount. He agreed.

I contacted my HD dealership  part # 40217-07 66T sprocket and (5) 3109 screw w/washers ass.
He says I'll give you a discount.
He comes back to me and said, for everything including tax 310.04 delivered

So Monday I'm expecting to hear from this Chris fella and see what he comesup with.

BTW. I lifted the hold on the tyre payment

« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 03:40:28 PM by longlast »

J.D.

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2018, 02:54:19 PM »

What a sheister.  I suppose at some point you need to cut your losses and move on.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2018, 03:20:19 PM »

You got screwed Pete.  Sorry for that.  I'd not have released the hold on the charge until the new part was in your hand and all promised shared costs or reimbursements were in hand though.  They'd already proved they can't be trusted.

Good luck getting it sorted.  In the end their not worth your frustrations though.  Get what you can and ride on.  :2vrolijk_21:

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2018, 05:01:27 PM »

The way I'm looking at it is I knew the sprocket was not in the greatest of condition. I'm sure it's because of me letting others  removed the wheel when I've needed tyres and them not setting up the belt tension correctly, me thinking they would do the work correctly. Once I learnt more on how to tension the belt myself I  checked the tension from the last tyre change I found the belt was 3/4s way up the tensioner scale.
Even though what I think the belt is in good condition, (meaning no cuts ,the lugs are in good shape, no exsive wear on the edge of the belt, no flat marks on any of the lugs that I can see or tell.

That's why this time i took the wheels of myself and took them to a proper bike dealership though it not being an HD one I thought .......well it's a dealership they even represent selling new Indians what can go wrong they're only  changing the rubber,.......you tell me.
Now it looks like I'm going to have to be in the market for a do it your self tyre machine

J.D.

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2018, 05:08:23 PM »

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2018, 07:09:38 PM »

You got screwed Pete.  Sorry for that.  I'd not have released the hold on the charge until the new part was in your hand and all promised shared costs or reimbursements were in hand though.  They'd already proved they can't be trusted.

Good luck getting it sorted.  In the end their not worth your frustrations though.  Get what you can and ride on.  :2vrolijk_21:

Your right Don,   I don't need the bull s......t . At the end of the day I would have had to fork out for a new sprocket anyway  at some point this way I'm getting a new one for half price,  so I'm looking at as a win win both ways for me.

As for releasing the payment hold I hope I didn't jump the gun on that.

Bubba

• 1K CVO Member
  • LIVE TO RIDE! RIDE TO EAT!

• CVO1: 2006 CUSE B/S
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2018, 08:45:24 PM »

The sad thing is how many other people have they done this to that have not been caught. Good thing that you were very observment to notice what they done.  I would stick to my guns and tell them that this is not the proper way to change a tire nor the Mickey Mouse way that they tried to fix it.  This is just not acceptable by no standard.  Very smart move to do what Jim suggested to do by disputing the credit card charge that way you have some leverage.

Sorry this happened on something as simple as changing a tire. This should alert the owner that he has a  major problem with his service department that he needs to correct before someone gets hurt!

Good luck.
Mike
Any-day above ground is worth living so let's go riding!!!

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2018, 10:12:32 PM »

The sad thing is how many other people have they done this to that have not been caught. Good thing that you were very observment to notice what they done.  I would stick to my guns and tell them that this is not the proper way to change a tire nor the Mickey Mouse way that they tried to fix it.  This is just not acceptable by no standard.  Very smart move to do what Jim suggested to do by disputing the credit card charge that way you have some leverage.

Sorry this happened on something as simple as changing a tire. This should alert the owner that he has a  major problem with his service department that he needs to correct before someone gets hurt!

Good luck.
Mike

Thanks Mike,
Yup your right about the service department bit. Ridiculous over a tyre change.
I had commented on that in the phone conversation " I said" you need to train your guys how to use that tyre machine, I continued to say,..now your going to be doing Indians they have the same kind of belt drive and sprocket as Harley Davidson dose are you going to grind down the teeth on those as well?.
(He's only just got the Indian sales and service he had to knock out a small office and his oils and helmets section to make room for 6 new Indians)
That was kind of the turning point in the conversation where he started to compromise, he suggested do I want to change the belt as well if so he would change it no charge on the labour ( the thought of terror flashed through my mind them getting their fingers in my primary) 
No that's fine I said my belt is good.

I'm not trusting him at all, I'm on my guard.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 10:23:49 PM by longlast »

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2018, 10:33:09 PM »

Have them replace that sprocket, Pete.  Belt should have a smooth surface for correct wear...you think you've seen it all and then something comes along that makes you go huh?  I'm guessing this isn't their first rodeo on tire mounting but dang, they clamped the heck outa that thing... >:(

That would be the first and last time I'd use them if it were me 'cause you know they had to realize they damaged the belt sprocket and were hoping you wouldn't notice....

Sorry Howard buddy I meant to reply then got lost,

You're right once this is over they're not going to see me again. I have been getting my oils from them that won't be happening now either.

Eqcons

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • A Harley isn't just for Christmas, it's for LIFE!

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2018, 08:17:18 AM »

I think I have a near new one somewhere if you end up having to pay yourself, Pete.  I'd have to check - let me know.
'14 FLHTKSE
'94 Ford Escort Cosworth, 320BHP & just 19,000 miles, owned since new
'17 Ford Focus RS
'21 Toyota GR Yaris

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2018, 11:47:43 AM »

I think I have a near new one somewhere if you end up having to pay yourself, Pete.  I'd have to check - let me know.

Thanks mate, I appreciate your offer.
I've been intuch with him today he's ordered up a new one he says it should be here for Wednesday.  I'll be paying for half the cost of just the part after his discount  no tax or shipping either. He offered to install it as well. I said I'd bo it.
I going to be looking at around 150.00 not bad for a new sprocket I just didn't expect to be forking out 425.00 to replace my tyres.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2018, 02:00:01 PM »

UPDATE!

Got the call today from the dealership that messed up my sprocket  it had come in. Great he-ha i can now get it back together.
                                                                           "WRONG"

I shot down to get the sprocket when I got there I opened the box,.......again couldn't believe my eye's,
Half the sprocket teeth were good and had good chroming the other half the chrome was all sharp rough and pitted.

I can't understand how it even got packaged from the makers of the sprocket. It looked to me like a referb and the chrome didn't take don't know  :nixweiss:

They made a call and a replacement should be here tomorrow,....should I hold my breath?,....perhaps not.
That will make it  day 10 and counting  to do a tyre change  >:(

Eqcons

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2018, 02:17:18 PM »

Sure you have the right part number, Pete?  The one I have here looks identical to yours, but is 37781-07.  And it's off one of my CVO FLHTCUSE - the 07 I think.  Took it off to fit a cush drive one. Deffo 66T as well.

[later - they seem to be the same. Maybe 37781-07 is a casting number... Ah well got it here if you need it at the end of the day!]
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 02:30:26 PM by Eqcons »
'14 FLHTKSE
'17 Ford Focus RS
'21 Toyota GR Yaris

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2018, 02:39:45 PM »

« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 02:41:23 PM by longlast »

Eqcons

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2018, 02:45:48 PM »

Yes, I looked it up, Pete - others on the interwebbiness have puzzled over the two part numbers in the past, but they do seem to be the same thing.
'14 FLHTKSE
'17 Ford Focus RS
'21 Toyota GR Yaris

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2018, 02:49:59 PM »

One is a Japan 64T I think it is and mine a being the 66T

Check messages

Eqcons

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2018, 02:56:25 PM »

Yes, this is 66T and looks identical.  Off my 2007 CUSE2.
'14 FLHTKSE
'17 Ford Focus RS
'21 Toyota GR Yaris

J.D.

« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2018, 03:03:06 PM »

That's correct, often a Harley part will have a "casting" part number with a second, different finished part number.  Not sure if that's the case here or not but I've seen this on other casted parts like cylinder heads and intake manifolds before.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2018, 03:21:22 PM »

Sure you have the right part number, Pete?  The one I have here looks identical to yours, but is 37781-07.  And it's off one of my CVO FLHTCUSE - the 07 I think.  Took it off to fit a cush drive one. Deffo 66T as well.

[later - they seem to be the same. Maybe 37781-07 is a casting number... Ah well got it here if you need it at the end of the day!]

Got the same number on mine, I did some checking "it it a part number "  that's no longer available.  It's now 40217-07

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2018, 07:17:53 AM »

:huepfenjump3:  second new sprocket arrived today and this one's  acctuley useable.
Should be up and running by the end of the day :drink:

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2018, 07:45:32 AM »

Good.  And good luck, sounds like you need some after that ordeal.   :2vrolijk_21:

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2018, 03:28:22 PM »

Good.  And good luck, sounds like you need some after that ordeal.   :2vrolijk_21:

Cheers iski,  :2vrolijk_21:

I'll say if it wasn't of bad luck I wouldn't have any kind of luck at all. I think the worse is behind me now, wheels are on just a couple more things to do tomorrow then out for a test run and see how these Michelins  feel.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2018, 05:37:54 AM »

Cheers iski,  :2vrolijk_21:

I'll say if it wasn't of bad luck I wouldn't have any kind of luck at all. I think the worse is behind me now, wheels are on just a couple more things to do tomorrow then out for a test run and see how these Michelins  feel.

Cheers longlast!  Looking forward to a good report, with no issues. 

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2018, 12:40:37 PM »

Why would I have thought it would be smooth riding.

Rolled out of the garage for a test ride today.  I went just up to the end of the road putting the rear brake on it the pedal went fully down "no beake" i had to pump it up (thought I'd forgotten to pump up the pedal)  and i had braking.
I turned the corner tried the brake again and again the pedal went fully down "No brake"  I had to pump it up again.

Back to the garage and rechecked the alignment, that checked out good.  Then I was turning the wheel looking at the rotor pass through the pads the rotor is opening  the pads at one point.

I couldn't believe my eye's the bloody rotor is bent.  I'm lost for words,...accept for some very unpleasant ones :-[

I can just see this having to go to court.  I'll  find out tomorrow what the guy's going to say when I tell him  my rotor wasn't bent when I gave e it to your shop.

J.D.

« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2018, 12:53:40 PM »

OMG dude

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2018, 01:45:29 PM »

Other guy has already agreed to all he's going to.  Find a good used rotor and move on from this expensive free labor Pete.  It'll never be worth the time or aggravation.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2018, 07:15:13 AM »

I spoke with Chris regarding my brake rotor being bent. His reply was F@*#@ then said sorry about the language I said that's okay I had a few choice words myself.

He went on to say (with out me having to say anything more) would you like to bring it down here I'll sort it out for you, I said, I can't ride it the rotor keeps opending the pads and I got no pedal.

So he said alright if you get the rotor ill get the sprocket.

New rotor 140.00 new sprocket 344.00 total 484.00 of damage to change the rubber.
I'm glad I only took the wheels to him and not the entire bike..

So I've ordered up the rotor putting it on myself scratching the rest up to lessen learned it's going to cost me an extra140.

And move on like you say Don.   

« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 07:28:22 AM by longlast »

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2018, 08:37:49 AM »

Too bad, that shop must be one of the worst.  Chalk it up to "lessons learned" and after it's all fixed ride and have fun.

J.D.

« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2018, 08:44:49 AM »

It isn't easy but you can tap it back true with a plastic-faced dead blow mallet and run out dial.

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2018, 08:49:19 AM »

I spoke with Chris regarding my brake rotor being bent. His reply was F@*#@ then said sorry about the language I said that's okay I had a few choice words myself.

He went on to say (with out me having to say anything more) would you like to bring it down here I'll sort it out for you, I said, I can't ride it the rotor keeps opending the pads and I got no pedal.

So he said alright if you get the rotor ill get the sprocket.

New rotor 140.00 new sprocket 344.00 total 484.00 of damage to change the rubber.
I'm glad I only took the wheels to him and not the entire bike..

So I've ordered up the rotor putting it on myself scratching the rest up to lessen learned it's going to cost me an extra140.

And move on like you say Don.   

wow, a gorilla must work in the tire shop!! >:( >:(

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2018, 11:37:25 AM »

Too bad, that shop must be one of the worst.  Chalk it up to "lessons learned" and after it's all fixed ride and have fun.

The scary thing is what sort of cover up bogged work have they been doing to other riders bikes.

It isn't easy but you can tap it back true with a plastic-faced dead blow mallet and run out dial.

I will have a go at doing that with this one if it works out it'll do as a spare if needed.

It must of been a fluke the front didn't get damaged.

J.D.

« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2018, 11:44:54 AM »

It's incredibly easy to bend a rotor like that if the wheel is placed on a workbench on the rotor side.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2018, 02:37:19 PM »

It's incredibly easy to bend a rotor like that if the wheel is placed on a workbench on the rotor side.

I had noticed a Nick on the running edge of the rotor but  didn't think too much of it just it being another make from them being heavy handed. Of course couldn't tell it was bent.

New rotor comes in on Tuesday.  Chris at  the Kowie dealership  said if I stop by he'll buy me a coffee hehehe! What a guy.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2018, 02:39:02 PM by longlast »

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Re: Can't believe this one UPDATE
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2018, 02:36:12 PM »

Well all is sorted, new rear sprocket,  new rear brake disc, new rear brake pads. Pulled the bike off the centre lift today then took

It out for it's  test run, it run great and handled great finally no further issues.  Man what a ride this threads been.

BTW. The Michelin Commanders ll  made a noticeable difference to the ride and handling feels a lot more responsive. 

I definitely from today's ride like the feel of these tyres.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2018, 02:43:11 PM »

Good report.  As some famous English playwright guy from a long time ago wrote - All's well that ends well.  ;D

J.D.

« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2018, 04:13:37 PM »

I agree these tires ride nice.  Glad to hear you are back on the road.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2018, 12:06:27 AM »

Cheers guys, 

A 3 week tyre change,.....who'd  had thought  :drink: :drink: :drink:

J.D.

« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2018, 08:38:34 AM »

I've had too many bad tire change experiences myself (nothing quite this bad though) and bought the tools to DIY.  Never going back.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2018, 10:53:51 AM »

I've had too many bad tire change experiences myself (nothing quite this bad though) and bought the tools to DIY.  Never going back.

That's definitely on my bucket list come the next change.

I've clocked my mileage to see if I'm going to get any where near the 25k they say one can get out of these tyres.
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Page created in 0.293 seconds with 21 queries.