Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Engine vibration  (Read 5517 times)

X-Man

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
Engine vibration
« on: December 10, 2018, 12:04:00 AM »

2019 CVO Road Glide. I am noticing that there is a pronounced engine vibration from idle up to 2200 RPM, above that, it smooths out. The vibration returns on deceleration at the same RPM. It is definitely a result of engine imbalance as I can duplicate it just by revving the engine in neutral.
This is my first HD so I am wondering if this is normal. Anyone else experience the same thing?

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt
Re: Engine vibration
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 06:57:51 AM »

According to Harley it is by design.   If you watch the M8 Launch Vids on Youtube they indicate that originally the counterbalance system was so efficient that when they tested it with customers they complained that it was too smooth and did not feel like a Harley.   Harley customers like their handlebars to shake at idle and to feel the vibes!   They then added some vibration back into the counterbalance system to make it feel like a Harley.   

hawgzilla

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 08:11:23 AM »

That’s a new explanation!  Every m8 I’ve been around has been smooth at those rpms.

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout.
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 09:18:35 AM »

Saw that same video
 Something along the lines where they had it 100% balanced they dropped it down to something like 75% so it would feel "right"

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 11:48:08 AM »

It's impossible to diagnose a vibration concern on the internet; what one person considers to be excessive another person might find to be fine and no problem.  I'd suggest you head over to your favorite dealership and have them fire up several other M8's and let you compare them to yours in that same rpm range.  And the word "normal" has no meaning when dealing with H-D, they have been telling people unacceptable things were "normal" for decades.  I've often joked you could probably trailer your bike in to some shops with a connecting rod sticking out of the cases and they would just tell you "it's normal, they all do that". :)

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 01:24:47 PM »

Good one Jerry...
Bill

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 02:16:27 PM »

I would definitely get it to the dealer. Could be normal, could be a loose or bad plug wire or worse........

Let us know what you find out.
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 02:25:39 PM »

2019 CVO Road Glide. I am noticing that there is a pronounced engine vibration from idle up to 2200 RPM, above that, it smooths out. The vibration returns on deceleration at the same RPM. It is definitely a result of engine imbalance as I can duplicate it just by revving the engine in neutral.
This is my first HD so I am wondering if this is normal. Anyone else experience the same thing?
I can tell you as a fellow '19 117" Road Glide owner that my bike exhibits what you seem to be describing.    My wife an I noticed it on our first ride.   Immediately I remembered the articles I had read and the Vids I had seen about the Milwaukee 8 engine.   The vibration goes smoothly away with some RPMs and the bike is smooth and enjoyable when riding.  Since I can't physically compare bikes, I agree with Jerry it would be a good idea to compare it to another bike.   I would make sure it is another 117 M8 - but I wouldn't get too worried. 
Personally,  when I have 2.0 Liters of HD swinging around at a stop light - I want to feel it!    The wife and I LIKE THE SHAKE!

Some reference material:
"For the first time in a rubber-mounted Big Twin, a single counter-rotating internal balancer is used to cancel 75 percent of the engine’s primary shaking force. When an engine with complete vibration cancellation was tested, riders rejected it; some vibration is an essential element of Harley’s unique feel. Riders of long ago accepted lots of raw vibration, but most riders today do not—and Harley-David­son here appears to be satisfying the faithful customer with some of the shake they love while also smoothing the engine to the degree that will attract new customers with an increased level of refinement. Heavy vibration is tiring, so long-distance riders want engine smoothness—but still want the drama of handlebars shaking at idle—and the relationship with the moving parts."

This is from Cycle World but most articles say the same...
https://www.cycleworld.com/harley-davidson-motorcycles-new-milwaukee-eight-big-twin-engine

85FXRS

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IA

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2018, 04:14:07 PM »

May be a lot of variable issues  have tuff time with hd. Making them shake or vibrate. Seems if things are smooth you may have longevity.  Wou I'm d have to see it to tell if I would be concerned..  pretty strange to hear they made them shake on purpose. Sumping  will. Akers them shake.  A CRANK will or not lining up the marked on the balance and the crank  does make them shake . Yes shake your feet off the floorboards
 Good luck

X-Man

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2018, 10:43:20 PM »

Thanks for the the replies, I think I will do as suggested and compare to other bikes at the dealer.
It is surprising to me "that vibration would be engineered in" as vibrations are seldom a good thing. I for one would much prefer a smoother ride.

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2018, 11:49:22 PM »

To be blunt, what do you expect?  It's a Harley not a BMW.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2018, 08:12:10 AM »

Very true, but you have to remember Harley is losing it's traditional customers and they need to appeal to more people who have more "refined" expectations.  Now they need to put in some serious effort on fixing the other issues that turn off people coming over from other brands, such as poor quality and reliability.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2018, 11:04:30 AM »

I agree with ya there Jerry. However, you are thinking logically. As we both know, that is something the motor company does not do. I personally think they will lose ground and sales to other makes till they are truly at a crossroads. Adapt, evolve or die.

MCE

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2018, 11:41:17 AM »

I agree with ya there Jerry. However, you are thinking logically. As we both know, that is something the motor company does not do. I personally think they will lose ground and sales to other makes till they are truly at a crossroads. Adapt, evolve or die.

The motor company views everything through the prism of profit and the bottom line. Everything else is secondary.

For example; How much would it cost them to put a bronze bushing in the cam plate? A couple bucks maybe. Or,
full compliment cam bearings. The list is endless. They could build something that lasted 100,000 miles easily, but
they'd rather put the bottom line profit above quality. That will be their downfall.

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2018, 07:27:57 PM »

Hey.....i resemble that remark.

Own a 18 BMW K1600B or Bagger with a inline 6cyl. It's smooth as silk and oh so powerful.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 22 queries.