Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: 2008 FXSTSSE2 new compensator required  (Read 6579 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Re: 2008 FXSTSSE2 new compensator required
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2019, 09:40:26 AM »

That number 40100064 is the same  as 6557 , in the link you can enter the 40100064 it'll come up the same thrust washer

https://www.jerseyh-d.com/PartSearch?search=6557
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 09:44:40 AM by longlast »

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2019, 10:47:16 AM »

On my 2010 SEUC5 I moved away from the OEM automatic chain tensioner because my chain was always so very tight. I was concerned it was stressing the mainshaft bearing and inner primary bearing and risking the race on the mainshaft to walk inward causing even more damage. I looked at various chain adjusters, Hayden, the manual Harley and the Baker Attitude Adjuster. I decided on the Baker and 20k miles later I'm glad I did. My only concern was having to remove the primary cover on a regular basis to check the chain slack. I found that the slack really doesn't change other than from wear from the shoe. I set mine to 5/8-11/16 inch cold. I never had that slack with the automatic tensioner.

You can get a good sense of the 5/8 movement. As a result, whenever I do primary fluid changes I shine a flashlight in the derby cover hole and use a screwdriver to lift the chain to see if it's still in the 5/8 inch range. Then once the riding season is over I pull the primary cover and look at the shoe for wear and take accurate measurements. In three years I haven't had to readjust the tensioner. But it's removed now and I'm replacing the shoe because there are some wear marks and I'm doing major upgrades to the clutch, transmission, and engine. Of course everyone has their opinions but I am very happy with the Baker product. You can get it on Amazon for under $200. I since upgraded to the Armored version. One thing you want to keep in mind though, unlike other chain tensioners, this needs to be loosely installed before you put the compensator on because you can't slide it under and behind the chain like other tensioners. It's no fun to take the compensator off when you just got done torquing it to 175 ft. lbs and then doing it all over again.

That the way I do it as well. I changed over to the Henderson M6 it holds the chain at 5/8" tension

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2 Diamond Black
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2019, 05:32:36 PM »

Same /superceded part # the bastids..the plot thickens

6AM here in Perth WA right now and I will be onto the local HD dealer with "this new info" after I have walked the dog , cleaned the swimming pool yada yada...

All the usual Aussie BS...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 05:35:40 PM by gmeikle »
No illegitimi carborundum

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2019, 08:40:19 PM »

Just off the blower to my man at Frasers HD in Perth Western Australia

He reckons both are live part numbers. Seemed hesitant to say/commit the 40100064 would replace the 6557

NONE in Australia , 2nd Feb stock order

Rode 50 K's after dark last night , no helmet , primary as noisy as a noisy thing , way way worse than the original OEM parts a month ago !

Bike has V&H Big Shot Staggered and you can hear it over them on the freeway !!

My mechanical abilities are OK if I say so myself but I am starting to doubt them !

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2019, 12:49:31 AM »

Do you think its gotten worse (noisier)  in your opinion since you put the new tensioner in?

The reason I ask is that new tensioners will make a fare bit of noise they can take 2 to 3 thousand miles before they gradually get quieter.  (Break in mileage)

When you break it down,........you had noise "after" you put in the new compensator?  Or you had noise "before" that's why you changed the compensator?

If "after" then its fare to say it's the thrust bearing making noise

Has the noise increased "after" you installed the new tensioner?   If it has then it would be fare to say it's the breaking in noise of the tensioner you're hearing combined with the compensator thrust bearing noise.

One other thing , when you changed the compensator did you pull the inner primary case off and check/ change the transmission shaft inner primary case bearing?

If you "did not" check it,...then you should when you pull it down to change the thrust bearing with the thrust washer so that bearing can be eliminated as a possible noise contributor

Just some thoughts

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2019, 03:14:38 AM »

Started with a slightly noisy whistling/rattling in the original 2008 OEM Compensator. Could have ( SHOULD HAVE !) lived with it.

Changed to full kit , (including rotor as it's a 2008) part # 40100061. Required inner primary removal

Rebuilt and Immediately loud and "clunky" on shutdown ! ( No "clunky" before !)

2 days and 50 K's later put in part # 42200064A , spring pack and ramps etc etc , which was measurably DIFFERENT stack height to the "same parts" in the previous kit

Rebuilt again , clunk immediately gone , but whistley/chattering/rattling. Put in extra Belleville spring. Still whistley etc.

3 days later stripdown again , rubbing marks on primary from clutch or ring gear , chafing on the bottom of inner primary case from the chain.

Inner primary off AGAIN , front sprocket and inner shaft case bearing checked , turned and "waggled" all seemed OK. Extra Belleville spring removed

At this point replaced the original 2008 auto tensioner with the latest genuine Part # 39929-06B auto chain tensioner . ( JUST IN CASE !)

Now a month or so and multiple builds/rebuilds as said last post still well noisy. Maybe indeed "wearing/breaking in" noise. Does seem "noisier" than the previous tensioner

Cannot source a PEEK thrust washer immediately , be early February. When I strip it again , I will try a new primary chain at the same time as I install the PEEK thrust washer

If that has the same outcome I WILL be going down the Baker route , shimming be damned !!

https://www.hdforums.com.au/Thread/673587/1

Attached link to the same saga on the Aussie forums ( hoping that is OK folks ?)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2019, 04:30:47 AM »

In the link that mark on the primary made by the ring gear is caused by the primary chain being too tight.

I also had the SE auto tensioner that had moved up to far that can happen on sudden deselection and reacceleration.

It transfers the required chain slack at the top (in my case 5/8") to the lower (bottom) of the chain then the auto tensioner kicks in taking up the slack.
Then every time you accelerate the chain puts so much pressure pulling on the clutch it twists if you like the clutch that the ringgear  contacts the casing.
IT WILL DAMAGE THE CLUTCH HUB AND INNER PRIMARY CASE BEARING I did post pics the damage it did to mine. 
The chain clearance has too be maintained.  That's why so many got rid of the SE auto tensioner .

Pic of my inner primary  same warning signs chain to tight.     The scrap at about 8 o'clock
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 04:32:59 AM by longlast »

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2019, 04:49:13 AM »

Chit same same !

The Indy shop had the "Screamin' Eagle" manual tensioner on the shelf and I was "gunna" use that..chose the updated auto tensioner.

If I rebuild on his hoist again I may well try that manual adjuster

Have a look at the "same" Aussie forums thread. Engineering shop in South Australia has a wee bit to say about those scuff marks !

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2019, 05:23:01 AM »

This is what I did too my SE tensioner to stop it from moving up I put a weld to it.

I did it after I had changed the clutch hub and inner primary case bearing because I did a check on it after about doing 200 miles and found the chain tight again the tensioner had gone to the max.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2019, 05:26:22 AM »

So I replaced the SE tensioner  with this.

Haven't had any more issues

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2019, 06:26:29 AM »

So that Hayden is still an "auto" adjuster after a fashion.? I used to put Hayden tensioners into my Evos and early twincams always with no worries.

hardly ever had the 'shim" them afterwards

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2019, 08:01:03 AM »

That's right it's spring loaded that it maintains the preload on the chain and will allow the chain to flex then return it back to its correct tension.

No more worrying about the SE tensioner moving up the ratchet and locking the chain in a over tightened position.

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

« Reply #57 on: April 18, 2019, 01:30:22 AM »

Revamping this thread folks. Been 3 months and I am ready for another teardown. Thanks for all previous correspondences.

I have 2 different new thrust washers. Suspecting the needle roller bearing 3 part thrust washer may be the main source of my primary noise

A new "PEEK" thrust washer part number 40100064

AND a new PART NUMBER 6557 THRUSTWASHER

Longlast which one did you eventually use ?

I also have a new genuine HD primary chain which may as well go in at the same time. The latest/greatest genuine auto tensioner is already in there since last teardown.

I have done 1000 K's and was "hoping" the thing would settle down but alas not to be. 2000 RPM has a whirring/chattering just at cruising speed that does not fill me with confidence !!
Modify message

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 21 queries.