Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Harley Problems in the news  (Read 3907 times)

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
Re: Harley Problems in the news
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2019, 09:01:13 PM »

Maybe Daiwoo or some similarly unpronounceable name will take them over.  The it will be 100% no new Harley for me!

I sure hope if/whoever takes them over cleans house and actually knows what they're doing. If not, then they will only be diving deeper and deeper down the crapper. We all know that porcelain throne can only swallow so much chit before it clogs. Who is going to be the plunger??

I made myself a promise 5 years ago that this would be my last new HD and so far so good ... and I plan on sticking to that. They still haven't given me any reason to change that plan since the M8s have been in production. I have no desire to even try one out.   
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

screem

• Senior CVO Member
  • Ride Sober
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2019, 09:39:00 AM »

Screw the "next bike."  I like my old ones.  Don't like the newer ones; or more accurately don't like the baggage attendant to their ownership.  Will maintain the beasts I've got as long I'm liable to be riding them.

couldnt agree more.. the once in a blue moon when i do go into my local dealership, i dont see anything that gets my want meter pegged. i have had my SERG o/w/b since new, purchashed on 3/8/00, so i am coming up on 19 years of ownership and get memories, it will fall to my daughter to sell it after i am gone. the other bikes, which i love, will be sold at somepoint, i hope many years from now
   when i go to a fairly good sized bike night here in Fort Myers, 1000-1500 bikes typically, i dont see very many people below the age of 50, bike night features bands playing on various street corners.. all 60'-70's music.. i dont think we are welcoming or encouraging the under 50 crowd to join us... just my opinion
2000 FLTRSEI
1995 Fatboy... Apes, Foot Clutch,Jockey Shift 6Gal Tanks/Flames
 RIDE SOBER

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2019, 09:03:33 AM »

Like it or not, electric IS the future. We all laughed at the early electric cars that came out, Hell we even laughed at the first water cooled motorcycles came out. But now days you can't drive across the state without seeing some type of electric vehicle or water cooled motorcycle.

I applaud HD for taking this bold step into the future. Hopefully they won't kill it like they did the V-Rod. Personally I don't think the V-Rod is gone forever. Hopefully they can repackage it into a touring frame and bring it back out in 4 or 5 years. That was my only complaint about it, no upright seating, no large bags, tour pack, fairing and floorboards. All that stuff had to come aftermarket.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

aclass

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2019, 09:21:25 AM »

Screw the "next bike."  I like my old ones.  Don't like the newer ones; or more accurately don't like the baggage attendant to their ownership.  Will maintain the beasts I've got as long I'm liable to be riding them.

I "like" your post TwoLane

ultrarider123

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2019, 09:24:13 AM »

Like it or not, electric IS the future. We all laughed at the early electric cars that came out, Hell we even laughed at the first water cooled motorcycles came out. But now days you can't drive across the state without seeing some type of electric vehicle or water cooled motorcycle.

Mark, I agree with you in theory that electric is part of the future but do not agree it is "the" future.  While there are water cooled motorcycles now days, there are still quite a few air/oil cooled around.  Heck, Yamaha put an air cooled twin in their recent new touring bike and that thing is WAY big enough to handle a radiator.  Indian's big twins are air/oil while their Scouts are water cooled so while it's a great improvement on cooling and efficiency, there are also efficient air cooled options.  My question is what is the fascination with full electric?  Range and recharge time would be the number 1 and 2 issues with that on the bike and while you could do a hybrid gas/electric, it would be heavy until the technology can catch up.   I'm still not sold on why.  I have been around lots of motor heads in my time and I've yet to hear anything like "wow, that's a cool bike.  Bet it would be so much better if it were electric".  Maybe that discussion is different on the West coast?

I like innovation.  Fuel injection instead of the carburetor.  Radial tires instead of bias ply.  But the full electric deal as the be all and end all instead of burning dead dinosaurs?  I don't know... :nixweiss:

Good discussion...sorry to have  :jack:

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2019, 09:47:05 AM »

Mark, I agree with you in theory that electric is part of the future but do not agree it is "the" future.  But the full electric deal as the be all and end all instead of burning dead dinosaurs?  I don't know... :nixweiss:

I see your point and I agree. I don't see where electric will completely replace the internal combustion engine. but I do see trends. I know that some cities in Europe are limiting the number of internal combustion engines they allow "into the city" at certain times. Electric cars are allowed in. This is done to reduce congestion and pollution. But big diesel and gas engines are still needed to haul. I think exceptions are made for trade vehicles that haul tools, equipment and supplies.

Who knows, maybe it will become like the solid state transistor, and tube television. Still in use, but slowly surrendering to the microchip and LCD.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2019, 06:05:29 PM »

I am interested in the electric motorcycle.  I did a demo on the Live wire, instant torque.

However Harley is sadly missing the mark on it.  Cost is way to high, recharge time way to long, and range way to short. 

There are others on the market for 10K less, that charge quicker, and have a longer range.
https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-srf/

I like the Tesla.  But again, range is an issue for me.  Needs to be at least double.  They are very quick
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2019, 12:22:59 AM »

There are others on the market for 10K less, that charge quicker, and have a longer range.

That's always been an issue dating back to the 70s when the Japanese 750s and 1000s overtook HD on performance and reliability. So HD should be used to that by now.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2019, 09:38:55 AM »

That's always been an issue dating back to the 70s when the Japanese 750s and 1000s overtook HD on performance and reliability. So HD should be used to that by now.
And not learning from past mistakes is one of the reasons they are having issues..

The live wires is something I am interested in, but not at 1/3 more money for less range, and more charge time.

I am also very interested in the Pan America.  However I am afraid the BMW GS will cost less and perform way better.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 22 queries.