Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Open letter to Harley Davidson  (Read 16041 times)

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt
Re: Open letter to Harley Davidson
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2019, 02:53:54 PM »

Forums generally are overladen with bad news not good! Many people register simply to sell something, find the solution to a particular issue and then bugger off with nothing to contribute until the next item is located to be sold or another problem arises. Forums are supposed to be also for well-balanced reasoned debate.

Thank you so much for the ride safe wishes, they are reciprocated wholeheartedly. With your opening gambit please do not  make rash assumptions about not owning a bike as a quick trawl would have revealed that I would not have joined this fine forum without owning a CVO. The introduction is there as are several pictures....oops! Best wishes to you and everybody else from 'The Other Side of the Pond!'

Don't feel bad.  I am sorry for the original poster's experience but that is not the experience shared by everyone.   This site is full of Harley Haters.   Anyone who posts something in support of HD gets bashed for being a "Fan Boy" or a "Cheerleader."      I am on my 5th Harley Davidson.   I have loved them all and had Great Experiences with them all.    My '12 no issues.  My 2016 had Boom II - never had an issue.    My 2019 so far has been a Dream and I would recommend it to anyone!   

Every time I have gotten a new HD I have been impressed with the improvements.
Just Ignore the Haters and post what you feel.     :2vrolijk_21:

ultrarider123

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2019, 03:03:43 PM »

What is a shame is the decision you made to vent your spleen on a Harley-Davidson forum.

Harley-Davidson are well renowned even over here to be 'warts 'n' all' type vehicles with idiosyncrasies not offered by many other marques. When buying a CVO you are entering into an iconic brand at the very top end of the market when all the important bits are exactly the same as the cheaper models, it's the bells, whistles, gizmos and paint you are paying through the nose for, nothing more. Why would any of the extras be superior in quality to the rest of the bike? As stated 'warts 'n' all.' If you wanted absolute perfection maybe a Honda or BMW would have been better? A few pointers: Sales may be down but in the fourth quarter of last year Harley-Davidson posted a profit of 495 million dollars. Younger crowd will be attracted hopefully by the Streetfighter 975. You should have perhaps read the small print if you wanted everything warranted?

Shut the door quietly on your way out! Go try Indian they've bought out some interesting new models if you want to stick with 'home brand' or sell the bikes and get another truck/car with the much needed Bluetooth capability.

Well, glad to know that the "Supreme Being" is alive and well here on the forum in the form of k9f and, being he's not been here very long and already deciding to move on to the new Indian offering, decides to degrade the opinion of a well-known, long standing member, Glenncarp.  I just love this forum.... ;D

Sorry about the above comment...iritated I am still restricted to ride (medically) and it came through in my blurb. I do love this forum, however... ;D

As for the OP's original comment/letter, I agree with his sentiment. Glenn, I would put that to pen and paper and send many copies to the MoCo.  While it won't get you anywhere, you will feel better about the vent.  I've been straddling the MoCo offering since I first rode my dad's 1972 ElectraGlide...talk about a rattle trap but it was fun.  My first "owned" HD was an '89 EG and I've been on some sort of HD ever since (with a few diversions from time to time)...that's 30 years of frustration.  My letter would be much, much, much longer.  However, with all the issues I've been through including poor designs, poor workmanship, poor quality control and very poor decisions in "cheapening" the parts for profit, I've got way too much invested in clothing with the HD logo on it to change now... :2vrolijk_21:

Will my '15 be my last new HD?  Probably will.  Nothing they currently have stirs the soul and if they go in the youth direction with new models, they won't have anything in the near or far future for me either. 

I pray they continue on and prosper...I'll need the parts for repairs at some point down the line... ;D
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 10:13:08 AM by Haird »

k9f

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2019, 03:07:17 PM »

Another assumption. NOT moving on at all but increasing the stable like the long list you have. Sorry it's not another Harley!

Thank you for your post Phreakyz. I too can sympathise a little with the OP's frustration having spent so much money for so much disappointment. I too have spent an inordinate amount on new Harley-Davidsons in the past 6 years having arrived perhaps later in life to the marque. My experiences have been painless and a great adventure.

I don't feel bad in the slightest it's the "Newbie Haters" and "self appointed Moderators" that I find irksome. Some of you obviously need to go get a room! :orange:

See y'all!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 03:09:20 PM by k9f »

lyn.husen

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
Open letter to Harley Davidson
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2019, 03:50:25 PM »

For those of us old enough to remember this reminds of the AMF years all over again.
Wow, I resemble that.
No more HD for me, I will keep my 09 FLTRSE3 which I purchased used as I always wanted this particular CVO & have now owned it four years this month.
Next bike will be a BMW K1600B or maybe the Grand America. Not sure as of this moment but i will have it before the end of 2019.

Now nothing against Harley as at one point I owned 2 Road Glides, but finally figured out that if I want two they shouldn’t be the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 05:46:58 PM by lyn.husen »

DOCGSS

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

• CVO1: 2020 CVO STREET GLIDE
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2019, 05:16:22 PM »

Understand the OP's frustration. Rode Harleys ( 12 new bikes including a CVO Ultra ) for 28 years. Had some great times and rides.

Recently test rode an 18 BMW K1600B or Bagger. What a motorcycle. Liked it so much i bought one. You really gotta ride one to appreciate.

That said; I'd still like to own a Harley and hope to buy another. It will be a older bike. A simple Harley.

Harleys loss of sales is not simply due to baby boomers aging out. It's due to competition from the used bike market with low prices on low mile bikes and due to unprecedented competition. In my humble opinion, the only reason for buying a new HD touring bike is because you have a loyalty to Harley ( look, sound and feel ) and won't consider anything else. Not knocking, just the facts. Harley does not lead with performance, quality, handling, ride or features.

By the way, BMW has their faults too. Comes down to what you value most.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

Actually BMW has the HIGHEST frequency of repair of any motorcycle brand, Yamaha having the least. Yes it is a great motorcycle, but their bikes like their cars have horrid  repair frequency rates,

Glenncarp

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2019, 09:03:33 AM »

What is a shame is the decision you made to vent your spleen on a Harley-Davidson forum.

Harley-Davidson are well renowned even over here to be 'warts 'n' all' type vehicles with idiosyncrasies not offered by many other marques. When buying a CVO you are entering into an iconic brand at the very top end of the market when all the important bits are exactly the same as the cheaper models, it's the bells, whistles, gizmos and paint you are paying through the nose for, nothing more. Why would any of the extras be superior in quality to the rest of the bike? As stated 'warts 'n' all.' If you wanted absolute perfection maybe a Honda or BMW would have been better? A few pointers: Sales may be down but in the fourth quarter of last year Harley-Davidson posted a profit of 495 million dollars. Younger crowd will be attracted hopefully by the Streetfighter 975. You should have perhaps read the small print if you wanted everything warranted?

Shut the door quietly on your way out! Go try Indian they've bought out some interesting new models if you want to stick with 'home brand' or sell the bikes and get another truck/car with the much needed Bluetooth capability.

Perhaps you did not comprehend my post. It was not to recount how HD quality has declined, not to replay issues I and others have had with HD. It was to vent (yes, that's what you do on forms) about how I spent a butt load of money on another CVO (Of course I knew what I was getting, was my second such purchase) it was the fact that I spent ADDITIONAL money on an extended service plan, then ADDITIONAL money of Harley parts and labor and when this ADDITIONAL parts failed after spending the ADDITIONAL money on the service plan and parts and labor, HD pulled their "we do not cover that because....."

Sorry you did not get my post and looks like you are new to the form, if I were you, get used to useful posts on equipment, tons of information on parts, modifications, trailers, Ect, Ect, but also get used to us bitching about Harley and their decline in workmanship and customer service.

And I (as another form member suggested) sent a letter to the CEO of Harley. I had done so many years ago to GMC and to their credit, they responded a day after they receoved my letter. Lets see if Harley follows the same path
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 09:11:29 AM by Glenncarp »

k9f

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2019, 01:04:18 PM »

Perhaps you did not comprehend my post...…..Sorry you did not get my post and looks like you are new to the form...….And I (as another form member suggested) sent a letter to the CEO of Harley. I had done so many years ago to GMC and to their credit, they responded a day after they receoved my letter. Lets see if Harley follows the same path

I obviously did misconstrue your post as a simple spleen vent and thank you for the clarification. Apologies as there was no offence meant or implied.  You stated your next bike will not be a Harley and that was something I could relate to, as being fortunate enough to be in the position to have two bikes my second bike will never be a Harley as a single bike cannot tick all my boxes and there is nothing in the Harley line up that currently can. Maybe the Streetfighter when it arrives?

Everybody has to start somewhere and being a 'Newbie' has little relevance IMHO. I have been an active member of many forums over the years and whilst I love my CVO that too has it's foibles. I would like to think this forum is the same as others without being too 'elitist' and one can post without being at a disadvantage just because one is new? Surely that is what the 'Report to Moderator' button is for?   

As the original thread starter your explanation is a well balanced and reasoned one and I wish you all the very best on your quest for a successful resolution. Post up what happens as I am interested. At least you didn't turn on the Newbie without reading what I had written. You have quite a following.

Best Wishes from T'other Side of the Pond.  :dankk2:
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 01:17:29 PM by k9f »

hogsty

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2019, 09:19:29 PM »

I'm confused.

Are you saying their sales are down because you kept buying stuff from them?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Glenncarp

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2019, 11:19:57 AM »

Nope, saying sales are down because of things I brought up in my original post. Saying I am getting off of the HD merry go round for next bike as it appears a lot of the public is:

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/05/03/harley-davidson-sales-go-from-bad-to-worse.aspx
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 11:23:59 AM by Glenncarp »

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2019, 08:52:09 AM »

I don't feel bad in the slightest it's the "Newbie Haters" and "self appointed Moderators" that I find irksome. Some of you obviously need to go get a room! :orange:

See y'all!

i can accept that some things get lost in translation between our 2 sides of the pond, but you need to take a step back and relax.

there are no newbie haters here and what you call self appointed moderators id call active and passionate members. give em a chance you might just find you fit in.

:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

k9f

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2019, 12:18:23 PM »

Haird and Naitram,

Thank you both so much for the post amendment and clarification respectively. The reason for my somewhat vociferous initial response to Glenncarp's post was I can be as passionate as the next about the Harley-Davidson marque. I like this forum despite my limited input. I also love my CVO much more than I ever did the ex-wife. Whilst not trying to find excuses what I do know is that 32 years in the military with four tours in sandy places has made me a lot less tolerant than I once was. Best ever time was spent over four months on TDY at Eglin AFB staying at Fort Walton Beach but that's another story for another time. Apologies! Sorry about the thread jack too!

groupw

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

• CVO1: Silver/Silver '16 SERGU
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2019, 11:51:49 PM »

Open Letter to Harley Davidson

......Dear Mr. Matthew Levatich,
Please build one'a the 2020 CVO Road Glide Ultras with a yellow color scheme.   :huepfenjump3:
i'm gettin' old waiting here & want one'a them w/o having to repaint it
Thank you.
groupw

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout.
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2019, 12:04:32 AM »

As much as I do approve of folks writing the MoCo and giving honest feedback, we all know if often amounts to nothing in the grand scheme of things. The way to effect change is the tried and true method of voting with your dollar by spending it else where.

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2019, 07:28:36 AM »

Gosh I like this thread....a little edgy in some posts but some good points too.

sabraitis

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ON

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Ultra Limited
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2019, 07:36:53 AM »

Gosh I like this thread....a little edgy in some posts but some good points too.

Me too.  Listen, everyone complaining has invested in HD MoCo and been disappointed.  At least they aren't other brand HD haters.  Obviously serious concerns and I too would have the same sour taste in my mouth.  So far the only issue is the chitty stereo that is now being upgraded.  Otherwise my '18 CVO limited is all that.
2018 CVO Ultra Limited
Rinehart exhaust & headers
HD Auto Tuner
Freedom Shield 9"
Biketronics 250w amp, Pro 7.1 speakers
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 21 queries.