Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Quietest 2/1 pipe recommendations  (Read 3410 times)

LMR

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CT

Quietest 2/1 pipe recommendations
« on: February 03, 2019, 12:08:56 PM »

I currently have a fullsac dx header on my 2016 117 cu in motor flhtkse. Right now I am currently at 130/130 hp tq and am satisfied with the power. The reason I am looking for the quietest pipe is I am running a sidecar and don’t want to have the car passenger blasted out by a pipe right next to them. I thought about the Bassani mega pipe or a Boarzilla but am leary of the noise. I don’t mind giving up some power for a calmer pipe but just don’t have that knowledge. The fulsac is ok but I believe I cracked it with the frame twisting under throttle. The side car is heavy. Any advice?

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Quietest 2/1 pipe recommendations
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 07:26:21 PM »

Supertrapp Supermeg.

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 11:47:30 PM »

A big performance motor needs to breath. Quieter pipes usually reduce performance. You will  loose power in the mid/top end. You spent a lot on the motor mods just to kill it with restrictive exhaust.

yobtaf103

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 02:29:22 PM »

Supertrapp Supermeg.

yep, did 129/136 with a supermeg 117"

LMR

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CT

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 02:39:33 PM »

I am starting to think a Bassani mega power flh -777 is what I may get. I can only go by videos but doesn’t sound too loud. Anyone with this pipe want to chime in?

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 05:07:29 PM »

I am starting to think a Bassani mega power flh -777 is what I may get. I can only go by videos but doesn’t sound too loud. Anyone with this pipe want to chime in?

The Bassani is not a "quiet" pipe at all...

LMR

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CT

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 05:32:01 PM »

Well I realize this, but is it super loud? My last bike I had a RB racing lsr  Spyder which was fine by comparison. I’m not looking for a Honda quietness but don’t want it to be obnoxious. Most of the time, I ride below 3000rpm but like the ability to accelerate when needed. My point is wide open, it could scream but around town or highway speed, be able to listen to the stereo.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 07:03:43 PM »

Well I realize this, but is it super loud? My last bike I had a RB racing lsr  Spyder which was fine by comparison. I’m not looking for a Honda quietness but don’t want it to be obnoxious. Most of the time, I ride below 3000rpm but like the ability to accelerate when needed. My point is wide open, it could scream but around town or highway speed, be able to listen to the stereo.

Translated from the Latin "Bassani" means "teeth rattler." 

LMR

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CT

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 07:12:10 PM »

That bad huh!

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 10:20:45 AM »

my 2 cents. your not going to get much if any more by going away from the fullsac setup,  you may even loose TQ where you need it... with the side car  :nixweiss:   been down that road , Dragos makes a good pipe and is a lill longer witch may help take noise away from you/passenger
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 10:30:07 AM by fastfreddy »
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 01:31:26 PM »

That bad huh!

They really are a pretty loud pipe.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 04:59:18 PM »

I imagine the SuperTrapp, Super Meg with the closed end cap is pretty damn quiet. Not sure how much it will affect performance. Probably should get it tuned that way. You can always add more discs to it.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2019, 07:51:36 PM »

I imagine the SuperTrapp, Super Meg with the closed end cap is pretty damn quiet. Not sure how much it will affect performance. Probably should get it tuned that way. You can always add more discs to it.

I've heard a few on other bikes and really liked the deep but mellow sound.  Will be much quieter than my FatCats but still with a nice resonant sound.  Found a few before and after dyno charts when I was hunting that suggested comparable performance between it and the likes of the FatCats also.

Have a set here new in the box waiting to go on the Road Glide whenever I get a chance to do its engine work.  Didn't happen over the holiday break as I'd hoped. Hopefully over the academic spring break next month.  Looking forward as much to the exhaust change as I am the rest of the engine work.

1roadking

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

• CVO1: 2016 SE Streetglide
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2019, 10:58:01 PM »

I have a Bassani B4 and it’s not quite at all. It does however have a nice deep tone that is not tough on the ears.

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2019, 09:10:48 AM »

there are equations that show that the VOLUME of the exhaust is a large positive factor on power, both HP and TOURQUE. [a donny peterson article long ago] the whole idea of dual exhaust on cars, with the crossover, is it increases the volume of the pipe and mufflers - not flow - volume. mufflers and proper back pressure are needed in all cases,   on motorcycles the issue revolves around making power with pipe and muffler volume too low. short pipes can be tuned for very high output but much lower low speed torque. [drag pipes are fab at a 100] with a sidecar you don't lean so the clearance issues are not severe, and its already very heavy so pipe wt is not a issue. the highest power you will get is with two large mufflers -the larger the better, with a smallish outlet on the mufflers. essentially fulsac. two into one pipe will be a big drag making a turn in a intersection 3 up.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 21 queries.