Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Throttle is catchy after a rain storm.  (Read 1323 times)

2006ULTRA

• Full CVO Member
Throttle is catchy after a rain storm.
« on: March 05, 2019, 10:14:21 PM »

I rode in some heavy rain and the bike sat out overnight at the hotel.  Now my throttle seems to catch (not stick) if I let go it returns to idle but if I ride at a steady speed and then apply pressure to go faster it's sticky.  I've lubed the grip in the channel, made sure it's not pushed too far up the bar etc.  I even bought a new grip and no change.  It it the TBW gear at the end of the bar?
2011 SESG
121rwhp and 124tq
Woods TW-9B cams
Ported Head
D&D FatCat Performance Baffle
Thundermax

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
Re: Throttle is catchy after a rain storm.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 10:56:33 PM »

If your bike is a 2006 like it says in your profile you still have a cable driven throttle. TBW started in 08. Lube your cables if this is the case.

Pic in profile kinda looks like a 2011 SESG. Please help us out on what kind of bike it is.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 10:59:58 PM by rayson56 »
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 12:26:19 AM »

Might not be the throttle or idle cable.  The stepper cable for the cruise control will also make it act as you describe. 

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 08:46:51 AM »

2011 SESG

I assume when you say sticky you mean you can feel extra resistance at the grip when you attempt to lightly accelerate.  With the electronic throttle system you have a very limited number of things that could cause that.  The grip to bar and the grip to switch housing friction which it appears you have already checked, and then the actual sensor in the end of the bar that the grip turns.  There have been issues with those sensors, especially in the earlier years of ETC, so if you're certain you've eliminated the grip itself you may want to double check the sensor.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

2006ULTRA

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 11:09:59 AM »

Thanks for the replies!  I should have mentioned my bike is a 2011 SESG.   The water evidently had an effect on the sensor.  Let me guess.....I get to take the bars off to replace the sensor or is there a way to service it??  I installed Chubby's years back with the heater elements that fit inside the bars.  I remember taking the plugs apart and making my own pin diagrams.  Wasn't fun but doable if I should replace the sensor.
2011 SESG
121rwhp and 124tq
Woods TW-9B cams
Ported Head
Thundermax

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 03:04:52 PM »

Thanks for the replies!  I should have mentioned my bike is a 2011 SESG.   The water evidently had an effect on the sensor.  Let me guess.....I get to take the bars off to replace the sensor or is there a way to service it??  I installed Chubby's years back with the heater elements that fit inside the bars.  I remember taking the plugs apart and making my own pin diagrams.  Wasn't fun but doable if I should replace the sensor.

I don't know if you really have to remove the bars or if you can get enough access to the wiring at the bottom center to pull the wires by just loosening the clamps and rotating the bars.  I'll leave it to the experts to advise you on that part.

If you attach a string to the end of the wires before you pull the sensor out, you can use that string to pull in the new sensor wiring.   I assume you will still need to remove the large connector shell to be able to pull the wires through the bar but as long as you keep track of which pins go to each cavity it shouldn't be a problem. 

Jerry

btw, one might think something designed to be used while exposed to the elements would be waterproof.  Harley seems to have a history of ignoring the fact that many of their products do actually get used out in the real world.  Hopefully the latest engineering change addressed that.  The latest part number is 32310-08A.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ronnies/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=hdmc&a=842&b=42&c=0&d=2011%20FLHXSE2%20CVO%20Street%20Glide%AE%20(PZ)%20THROTTLE%20CONTROL%20ASSEMBLY%20W/%20GRIPS

« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 03:10:54 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

2006ULTRA

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 06:02:24 PM »

Thanks for the info!  Hopefully I have enough wire to get to the plug so I don't need to mess with the bars.
2011 SESG
121rwhp and 124tq
Woods TW-9B cams
Ported Head
Thundermax

DBinSD

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SD

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 11:42:09 PM »

I rode in some heavy rain and the bike sat out overnight at the hotel.  Now my throttle seems to catch (not stick) if I let go it returns to idle but if I ride at a steady speed and then apply pressure to go faster it's sticky.  I've lubed the grip in the channel, made sure it's not pushed too far up the bar etc.  I even bought a new grip and no change.  It it the TBW gear at the end of the bar?

Go through EVERY electrical connection and fill it with Dielectric grease.
Better to live a day as a lion than a life as a sheep. Ride hard, ride often 😎

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 21 queries.