Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Just sayin' - why I stick with Harleys  (Read 3490 times)

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
Re: Just sayin' - why I stick with Harleys
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2019, 06:19:55 PM »

think im sticking with Harley.... cause my long ass white beard and rootbeer belly would just not look rite on any thing else....   :nixweiss:  also have to say the rental has been damn near a problem free brike
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2019, 08:20:42 PM »

Gotta agree. I am Harley all the way. I just retired this year and now I can do my passion on my own time- work on my friend's Harleys. They are easy to work on and they are the best looking and sounding bike out there..IMO. I love the Harley family, all my friends that ride have one, the history, the clothes, accessories, the image and living near Dayton, Ohio I don't recall a whole lot of metric bikes in that 2,500 bike funeral precession that "Taco" Bowman (Outlaws) had here last weekend. When you have a pack of Harleys riding by you get noticed.

mark

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2019, 10:07:13 PM »

Gotta agree. I am Harley all the way. I just retired this year and now I can do my passion on my own time- work on my friend's Harleys. They are easy to work on and they are the best looking and sounding bike out there..IMO. I love the Harley family, all my friends that ride have one, the history, the clothes, accessories, the image and living near Dayton, Ohio I don't recall a whole lot of metric bikes in that 2,500 bike funeral precession that "Taco" Bowman (Outlaws) had here last weekend. When you have a pack of Harleys riding by you get noticed.

I doubt if HD marketing is going to use the fact that 2,500 HD owners turned out for the funeral of someone in a criminal organization...but I could be wrong.

BUCKNUT GREG

• BUCKNUT
  • 1K CVO Member
    • OH

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2019, 10:38:28 PM »

:indian_chief: maybe if it was the other guys, you would shut the **** UP

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2019, 04:17:45 PM »

:indian_chief: maybe if it was the other guys, you would shut the **** UP
If you don't like the thread don't read it.  No cause to be rude.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2019, 04:39:05 PM »

Interesting read on above posts. I agree with idea that we should be free to ride whatever we like and life is too short to worry about what others feel is the correct bike to ride.
Other's opinions or tastes seem to change over the years. I remember when only "real bikers" rode Harleys that were hardtails with no windshields and just threw on a set of leather bags for storage on a trip, anything else and you were a wuss. You were also expected to do your own roadside repairs and no one had heard of a cell phone. You also didn't have a music device since you wanted to hear the bike or enjoy the sounds of nature. Then you were also looked down upon if you trailered or rode a trike (unless you were handicapped ,that was the term back in the olden days.)
I tried my best not to fit the mold and rode what I wanted in my early days, which was a Honda 750F because I wanted speed and performance as a youngster. I later rode a Goldwing because again i wanted comfort and dependability, It never let me down and had many happy times on both bikes.
I did however remember my first experience on a motorcycle riding on my uncle's Harley and loved the feel and sound.
In 1997 I bought my first Harley and it brought back lots of old memories and by that time I didn't have to have the fastest bike or one with all the fancy bells and whistles on it. I gradually moved up to the CVOs and enjoyed them for what they were and accepted that they weren't the fastest or best handling bikes on the road but the met my needs.
I don't know what i would buy next but I would check out all brands and ride whatever fits my needs and budget, I would want a bike that performs well, is dependable and I think I would want one that is more "turn key" and just buy and ride without spending hundreds or even thousands of dollars to get it to run right or look flashy.
As far as not knowing what to do with all the Harley t-shirts you can do what I have done 3 or 4 times over the last 10 years....send them to www.campusquilt.com and have them converted to quilts, wall hangers, totes bags or pillows etc.

I also rode several bikes and landed on a 1979 750F for the same reasons along with dependability. I went to numerous Bike weeks back in the day (still go sometimes now) and loved the Harley's.  I couldn't really afford one at the time and they had a habit of breaking down. But I loved their look and of course the sound.  Years later the quality is up and I end up getting a Harley.  I have had many now and just love the look and sound.  As mentioned I have never been stranded and I have been through some of the worst weather and conditions.  The dealers I have had always take care of me. I have posted numerous time how great they have been to me. I can see the good in almost any bike but the style and reliability is very important to me. I think everyone should ride what they want and I am just glad they are riding. I like the biking community and enjoy riding my Harley every day I can!

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2019, 05:58:30 PM »

I doubt if HD marketing is going to use the fact that 2,500 HD owners turned out for the funeral of someone in a criminal organization...but I could be wrong.

While they may not point out that it was for "TACO".  Harley for years has used the Bad Ass biker image, which comes from groups like the Hells Angles and Outlaws and so on. 

They still try to sell that image, look at the latest HOG patches for example.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2019, 06:54:14 PM »

Yup, everyone has an opinion.
I think when I quit riding I like that quilt idea. I probably have enough for 3 quilts..lol
I don't think any other maker has more color choices much less the designs of them. There is a reason that Harley is the #1 bike sold in America.
I agree with one of the earlier posts as far as the BMW. The looks don't flow smoothly for me. The biggest thing is optional foot rests. I am 6'3' and I am constantly moving my feet around just to change things up. The Beemer I would get leg cramps. lol

mark

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2019, 08:33:52 PM »

Yup, everyone has an opinion.
I think when I quit riding I like that quilt idea. I probably have enough for 3 quilts..lol
I don't think any other maker has more color choices much less the designs of them. There is a reason that Harley is the #1 bike sold in America.
I agree with one of the earlier posts as far as the BMW. The looks don't flow smoothly for me. The biggest thing is optional foot rests. I am 6'3' and I am constantly moving my feet around just to change things up. The Beemer I would get leg cramps. lol
The K1600B and the Grand America both come stock with forward floorboards and foot pegs.

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2019, 11:33:27 PM »

I have owned and road most of the brands available. 
I can't think of one that I didn't have a great time on. 

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2019, 05:25:09 PM »

The K1600B and the Grand America both come stock with forward floorboards and foot pegs.
  I actually put a second set of foot pegs on the rental..... now I have too many options to place my feet
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2019, 09:42:53 PM »

I have owned and road most of the brands available. 
I can't think of one that I didn't have a great time on.
Well said and with you!
Alan

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2019, 09:54:08 PM »

I’ve  wanted a Harley since I was a child when my dad had a Sportster that would rattle the windows.  Finally got my 1st 18 years ago (2000 Night Train) a few months after my brother bought his softail.  All three of us are still riding...my dad just turned 70 and we’re getting ready for our 8th guys-only trip to the Smokies.  So despite all their problems, I just can’t see myself buying another brand.

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2019, 12:07:30 PM »

Interesting reading all of these. 

In addition to the dealer network mentioned above, a wise man (I believe it was the OP) told me years ago that H-D also comes with a "community" of other riders for support, fellowship,  whatever.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2019, 03:05:23 PM »

Others said it better, will add this. Have only been riding Harleys for 18 years, have been riding on 2 wheels with a motor for 50 years.  Harley has it's problems - but in my case - they have always been resolved.  I like to ride, and while I can, I plan to ride Harleys. Riding is fun, as long as my Harley is fun to ride, I'll be riding Harleys.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 21 queries.