Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Do you rat-a-tat-tat-tat?  (Read 12157 times)

JDOFLHRIDER

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHTCUSE5 BURNT AMBER -HOT CITRUS
Re: Do you rat-a-tat-tat-tat?
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2007, 09:15:28 PM »

I USED TOO,CHANGED SOUND'S BY MESSING WITH HEAT SHIELDS .(ONE WAS SHIELD HITTING FRONT EXHAUST STUD,OVERLAPPING SHIELDS AND LAST BACK HEAT SHIELD ) I WOULD PULL IN DRIVE -THRU CARRY OUT AND CHIRPPING SOUND DRIVE ME NUTS.FIXED FINALLY WHEN PUT D-D PIPE ON.QUIET NOW. RIDE SAFE JDO

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2007, 12:10:25 PM »

On my SERK, noises seem to be worse with the mini-me wind deflector.

I am now trying to locate the source of a very annoying whistle above 30MPH, and no it is not the police.
I think I know why so many of you have radios.

:D :D :D :D

:huepfenjump3:
Any day on the bike is a good day.

FLYNDYNA

• Dyna Screaming Eagle
  • 1K CVO Member
  • My Little Pepe` the CVO Donkey

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE V&H Big Shot Staggered SERT K&N A/C Custom Seat
    • CVO2: '09 Road Glide-waiting for lottery
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2007, 10:26:22 PM »

I haven't noticed an overabundance of engine noise, but I have gear noise from the transmission on accelleration in 4th and 5th gears between 2800-3700 rpm's. I have been told it is normal, and haven't seen any metal in the tranny fluid. Anyone else experiencing this noise? I had heard about the clearance issues with the rockers, so I have been keeping an ear out for it...
I am so non conformist I have conformed to non conformity
I was going to procrastinate, but I put it off

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2007, 09:16:52 AM »

I haven't noticed an overabundance of engine noise, but I have gear noise from the transmission on accelleration in 4th and 5th gears between 2800-3700 rpm's. I have been told it is normal, and haven't seen any metal in the tranny fluid. Anyone else experiencing this noise? I had heard about the clearance issues with the rockers, so I have been keeping an ear out for it...
I have the tranny noise in 5th gear starting at around 2500 rpms and gets louder when accelerating.  Took it to the shop to have them listen to it, they said it's normal, but it can be lessened by putting tranny fluid in instead of using the Syn3.  I've also heard Mobil 1 and Amsoil will lessen the sound too.  I'm changing over to Mobil 1 at my next service. 
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
  :devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Serkcus

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 Candy Cobalt SERK
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2007, 03:06:08 PM »

I have what may be a similar noise that's driving me nuts. Seems to be most noiceable at 2200 to 2800 RPM range, but is actually present at most RPM, hot or cold engine. Strange thing is that at idle it become louder at time, but not in time with motor, seeming to be more intermittant, even has almost a scraping soundas if something needs more lube??. Scary driving this thing, never knowing if your getting home or if the sucker is going to seize. My dealer, having no experience with the 110,s prefers to wait until the 1st warranty service to see if it goes away. Not sure if that means wears-in, breaks or blows up, so any fault finding will be a little easier.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2007, 06:25:55 PM »

I have what may be a similar noise that's driving me nuts. Seems to be most noiceable at 2200 to 2800 RPM range, but is actually present at most RPM, hot or cold engine. Strange thing is that at idle it become louder at time, but not in time with motor, seeming to be more intermittant, even has almost a scraping soundas if something needs more lube??. Scary driving this thing, never knowing if your getting home or if the sucker is going to seize. My dealer, having no experience with the 110,s prefers to wait until the 1st warranty service to see if it goes away. Not sure if that means wears-in, breaks or blows up, so any fault finding will be a little easier.

If you hear a louder than expected tapping, I would guess it is the intake valve springs hitting the rocker boxes. This is very common on the 110's. I had this problem, and clearancing the rocker boxes made the motor sound like a new machine.

Panther

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2007, 04:14:47 PM »

Hey Chief....when you say they clearanced the rocker boxes, do you know exactly what they did?  The top end sounds like it is about to come apart in my new CUSE2, and I want to show up at the dealer with all the ammo I can.

Thank you.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2007, 07:53:43 PM »

Hey Chief....when you say they clearanced the rocker boxes, do you know exactly what they did?  The top end sounds like it is about to come apart in my new CUSE2, and I want to show up at the dealer with all the ammo I can.

Thank you.
In short, the problem is the intake valve spring retainer hitting the side of the box. I didn't see it, but normal procedure would be to remove a small amound of material 30 mils or so, (0.030") just enough to allow the valves to close properly and not hit the sides of the box.

If you tell them it is the intake valve springs hitting the boxes, and they check it, you should win good points with knowing what is going on.

Best of luck to you.

Panther

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2007, 12:55:23 PM »

Excellent....many thanks.

Serkcus

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 Candy Cobalt SERK
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2007, 11:19:55 PM »

Had them remove the covers on mine yesterday. They found vertical scratch marks on the intake side of both box's, but they figure that it is just marks caused during assembly. Also removed the primary cover to check the chain and tensioner, which all seemed ok. Driving home had even greater level of taping noise ? Have also noticed that it has a slight miss, that is almost a very quick skip or occassional sputter and rough running engine up to 3K . Almost at my witts end trying to figure out what's wrong with this thing. Also noticed a lot of engine heat during a short ten minute ride through town this evening even though it was faily cool out. Have not noticed this level of heat before, evemn in far hotter weather. This thing is a POS! Thanks so much HD!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 11:27:20 PM by Serkcus »

johnnymap

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE5

• CVO1: 2010 Burnt Amber/Citrus
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG Two Tone Red
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG BWO
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2007, 10:42:50 AM »

At the 1000 services, I had complained about the metal to metal noise, that I thought was coming from the top end, to the service writer.  Apparently, the message did not get to the technician.  Got it back and the notes said the noise was coming from the primary and that maybe we should take the Amsoil out of the primary and put Syn3 in it.  Right.

Took it in last week, to have it dynoed on Friday.  The technician, just happend to be outside talking to another customer.  I waited to talk to him.  I explained the noise and he asked what I thought it was.  I told him that I thought it was the intake springs banging againest the rocker boxes. iI did not tell him that the experts from this site had given me heads up.  It helps to have an idea. I asked him if he had heard that kind of noise before.  He said on two or threee motors that he had built recently he had had to clearance the boxes.  He said he would ride it before he put it on the dyno.

He called Friday afternoon and said he heard the noise.  It was exactly the same noise that he had heard before.  They are going to pull it apart and he expects to have to clearance the boxes.  I have finally found a dealer that will listen to what I am saying, not just blow me off because I am not a wrench.

One more time, this site has helped me rectify a situation with one of these scoots, that probably have taken months to get done.

Should have it back on Thursday.  I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks, guys

john
"The past is a place to be remembered, but not a place to dwell"

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2007, 11:39:33 AM »

Had them remove the covers on mine yesterday. They found vertical scratch marks on the intake side of both box's, but they figure that it is just marks caused during assembly. Also removed the primary cover to check the chain and tensioner, which all seemed ok. Driving home had even greater level of taping noise ? Have also noticed that it has a slight miss, that is almost a very quick skip or occassional sputter and rough running engine up to 3K . Almost at my witts end trying to figure out what's wrong with this thing. Also noticed a lot of engine heat during a short ten minute ride through town this evening even though it was faily cool out. Have not noticed this level of heat before, evemn in far hotter weather. This thing is a POS! Thanks so much HD!
Serkcus,

Marks caused during assembly???  Not unless the person assembling the engine took the time to rapidly move the covers up and down against the spring retainers prior to bolting everything down.  Most likely the reason it was louder on the way home is that they managed to reinstall the covers slightly closer to the valves than was originally the case.  There is a little slop in how they fit, and they will move a little during the tightening sequence.  Get an inexpensive mechanics stethescope and listen at the rocker covers - if the retainers are hitting you should pick up an obvious noise which will be loudest next to the intake valves.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Rhino

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2007, 10:22:11 PM »

You can also use a long handled screwdriver and put your ear on the handle and you will hear it. I personally like the local neighbor nurse to come by and help with her stethoscope, but she is not always available.   

I can tell you that dealers do not like doing this type of work, but that is a long story.  I know where they hit, and its hard to explain.  I am doing mine tommorow myself for the remaining front, and hope to post some picks when done.
I luv this site.

Rhino

johnnymap

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE5

• CVO1: 2010 Burnt Amber/Citrus
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG Two Tone Red
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG BWO
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2007, 08:14:51 PM »

Well, I still don't have it back.  Apparently, they talked to someone at HD that told them, during assembly, they installed the wrong push rods in some of the motors.  Rods that were too short.  HD told them clearence the rocker boxes and they are sending new push rods.  I went by there this afternoon and the rods were not in.

The shop also told me they had a guy come in with another UCSE that was making more noise than mine.  In addition to mine and the other guys, there two more 07's in the shop, not just for service.

Hopefully have it back together and dynoed by Friday.  Stay tuned.

john
"The past is a place to be remembered, but not a place to dwell"

Panther

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2007, 09:54:37 AM »

Hey Johnnymap....do you have your bike at Dallas Harley Davidson?  If so, I am the other guy they are talking about.  I pressed the issue about this top end noise last week, and the shop foreman called HD and they laid everything out for them to fix.  They didn't mention to me they were ordering new pushrods for mine though.  While I was in there they told me they had another bike with the same issue and I suspect they were talking about your bike.  Best of luck to getting everything fixed!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 21 queries.