Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Author Topic: Saddle Shields Heat Problems?  (Read 12087 times)

hogwander

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Saddle Shields Heat Problems?
« on: April 09, 2007, 10:53:41 PM »

I recently purchased Kuryakyn Saddle Shields for my 01 RG. It is not been hot enough to know if they will work but they seem to be able to shield away some of the heat from the motor away from my legs. My question is: Could they possibly push some of that heat back into my ECM and cause damage? OR Raise the heat level in the rear cylinder enough to cause damage? Anyone else have these on their bike and had trouble in either of these two areas?
5 P's = Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²
Re: Saddle Shields Heat Problems?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 10:57:49 PM »

I recently purchased Kuryakyn Saddle Shields for my 01 RG. It is not been hot enough to know if they will work but they seem to be able to shield away some of the heat from the motor away from my legs. My question is: Could they possibly push some of that heat back into my ECM and cause damage? OR Raise the heat level in the rear cylinder enough to cause damage? Anyone else have these on their bike and had trouble in either of these two area?

HW, I put on the smoked shields. When I rode in Daytona I found no problems. However, when I got home, riding 2 up, Sassy complained that the heat was directly on her feet. I'm going to adjust the rear floorboards up and away for the exhaust to try and reslove the problem. Hope this helps.

AJ (sportingsomethingRhinodoesn'thave)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 10:59:44 PM by hard10 »

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 12:38:42 AM »

There was a long discussion about these a few years back, I think that at the time the concensus was that they would keep heat off the riders legs but in doing so would trap heat around the rear cylinder and starter. For that reason I would not use them.

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 12:49:09 AM »

Jim here's 2 pix

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 12:51:20 AM »

Had them installed in Daytona. ~$60 + $20 install
Install was well worth the $.

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 12:59:12 AM »

Here's something you don't see everyday. This part was discontinued a few years ago. I don't know the part number (I could find it if someone needed it). It is a HD Stinger rechargeable flashlight and water bottle combo. Picked it up for ~$100.

AJ (stillmorestuffthanRhino)

103_RK

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 06:31:49 AM »

I have the saddle shields and have been using them for over a year.  No problems.
103 RK
2003 FLHRSEI2

d o g o l s

• 1K CVO Member
  • *** ride save and have fun***

• CVO1: blue Thunder FLHTCUSE-4
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE-2 black-orange-Jester
    • CVO3: 2008 FXDB black
    • Harley Fan
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 09:43:26 AM »

Saddle Shields where we get them ;)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 10:01:32 AM »

HW, I put on the smoked shields. When I rode in Daytona I found no problems. However, when I got home, riding 2 up, Sassy complained that the heat was directly on her feet. I'm going to adjust the rear floorboards up and away for the exhaust to try and reslove the problem. Hope this helps.

AJ (sportingsomethingRhinodoesn'thave)
AJ,
If you are able to could you get some heat readings from your rear cylinder. If at all possible if you could get the readings from another SEUC2 running the same/similar mods during the same ride to compare would be great. It would be interesting to see if there is more heat there then on bikes that aren't using these. I like Jim felt that they would protect rider, but disturb the air flow around rear cylinder and possible trap heat. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 10:40:31 AM »

AJ,
If you are able to could you get some heat readings from your rear cylinder. If at all possible if you could get the readings from another SEUC2 running the same/similar mods during the same ride to compare would be great. It would be interesting to see if there is more heat there then on bikes that aren't using these. I like Jim felt that they would protect rider, but disturb the air flow around rear cylinder and possible trap heat. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
I have that same concern...if the heat is being blocked from coming up towards the rider, it has to go somewhere....I would think, and could be wrong here, but that those guards would actually cause an effect with incoming air, to force the hot air right back towards the engine.   AJ, did Sassy complain about the heat on her foot before you put the shields on? Or hadn't she ridden it yet?  That comment really concerns me, because if momma's toes are roasting when she's riding, that will make her unhappy.  And if momma's unhappy, I'll be unhappy...(she'll see to that.) ???  I'd like to see some heat measurements myself on this one.

Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
  :devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 11:10:42 AM »

I would agree that the heat seems like it would be re-directed back down on the rear cylinder.  We ride air cooled bikes...they get hot when sitting in traffic...it's just something we've got to live with if the bike is running well otherwise.  Even the watercooled motors like the Vrod put off a lot of heat in traffic...when the fans come on, that hot air is blown back onto the rider/passenger in stand still traffic.  It's HOT!
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 12:54:08 PM »

Great, more homework!

I'll check the temps and report back. Maybe I can get tigertr1 to go for a ride this weekend. I'm pretty sure he hasn't installed them.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 01:01:26 PM »

Great, more homework!

I'll check the temps and report back. Maybe I can get tigertr1 to go for a ride this weekend. I'm pretty sure he hasn't installed them.
Heh, we trying to help you out. We gave you an excuse to ride (as if you needed one), ride w/a site bro/friend, and of course since you'll be out riding more then likely you'll get hungry :smilie_koch1: and thirsty :drink:. Is there any better way to spend a day on the weekend??

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 01:17:00 PM »

Heh, we trying to help you out. We gave you an excuse to ride (as if you needed one), ride w/a site bro/friend, and of course since you'll be out riding more then likely you'll get hungry :smilie_koch1: and thirsty :drink:. Is there any better way to spend a day on the weekend??

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

What are friends for?

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

• CVO1: 2007 B&O FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2007, 06:41:07 PM »

Had them on my 03 Ultra since new.  Not a problem as long as your moving.  The air flows back - but my bride did mention her feet got warm.  They helped keep the inner thigh a "bit" cooler when sitting still, but I'd bet a piece a' chrome that they drive the rear jug temps up.  Don't plan on using them on the jester.
TC

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2007, 07:11:08 PM »

There was a long discussion about these a few years back, I think that at the time the concensus was that they would keep heat off the riders legs but in doing so would trap heat around the rear cylinder and starter. For that reason I would not use them.

I just spent half an hour on the search looking for this thread.......had a hell of a time finding it......but thought it was/is important for everybody to see this thread.

After you read the thread completly, I think it speaks for itself.  It certainy "appears" to validate concern.  It is my opnion that the heat shields may work O.K. in areas of the country where it doesn't get hot (anything in the triple digits).......   However, with the heat issues that we already share in common on the 103" motors and even more so on the 110" motors, I would not want to add any more heat to the rear cylinder, even if only a few degrees.

I found it most interesting that all communication with the designer and manufacturer after one of our forum members offered to use a machine that he has a machine that would measure the heat of the rear cylinder via infared, with and without the shield in place.  All of a sudden, all communication stopped. :nixweiss:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=1221.0
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2007, 09:30:14 PM »

Engine heat was a real problem when I first got my '06 CUSE.  True duals and tuning helped some, but in warm temps the biggest help was taking off the lowers.   Man, what an unbelievable difference with them off.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2007, 09:49:08 PM »

I have them on my bike, (the RJs version), and I don't think it damages the rear cylinder or starter.
I'm no engineer, thermal or otherwise, so I may be way off track here with my thinking.

Here is how I see it. The deflectors change the direction the heat dissapates. Heat rises, so with the deflectors, the heat rises away from your legs. It still escapes, it's just channelled forward, and away, and not to the side where your leg is. If it did trap heat to the point of causing potential damage, wouldn't the bikes go into heat management at every prolonged stop? Wouldn't engines start shutting down?

Just curious, has anybody put them on, got stuck in traffic and had the bike shut down, then pulled them off, and the bike ran okay?
I was in Las Vegas two years ago and was stuck on the strip. The bike never went into heat management, and I was so glad I had the RJ heat deflectors on my bike.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2007, 10:16:16 PM »

I went to Kuryakyn's website and can't find these. ???????????

B B

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2007, 10:20:55 PM »

I went to Kuryakyn's website and can't find these. ???????????

B B
Check here Bro - Saddle Shields for H-D Touring Models

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

hard10

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2007, 10:34:26 PM »

OK to keep up with the Jones' Rhino, I bought a IR thermometer @ Radio Shack for $50. I was in such a hurry to get to a meeting in Charleston that when I got there I realized... no batteries. Oh well, it was a nice ride. Batteries tomorrow, report to follow.

AJ (thecoolestchickmagnetbetterthanRhino'sjester)

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2007, 10:55:05 PM »

I'm with Ironhorse, I just don't see how these things could cause a problem with the rear cylinder.  That motor can take a lot more heat than we can, lol.  Twolane was here a couple weeks ago and we all got caught up in a traffic jam.  Heck we were all HOT and in fact his and JR's engines went into heat managment mode.  Just seems to me that all the 103s (my '06 melon included) and the 110s get hot, hot, hot when you are stuck in traffic whether they are bone stock or modified with pipes, a/c, sert, pc, etc, etc.  If these things will keep my thighs from getting fried that is a good thing.  I'm going to give them a try. 

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2007, 11:03:57 PM »

I'm with Ironhorse, I just don't see how these things could cause a problem with the rear cylinder.  That motor can take a lot more heat than we can, lol.  Twolane was here a couple weeks ago and we all got caught up in a traffic jam.  Heck we were all HOT and in fact his and JR's engines went into heat managment mode.  Just seems to me that all the 103s (my '06 melon included) and the 110s get hot, hot, hot when you are stuck in traffic whether they are bone stock or modified with pipes, a/c, sert, pc, etc, etc.  If these things will keep my thighs from getting fried that is a good thing.  I'm going to give them a try. 

I bought a pair in Daytona this past bike week - the Kury version.  Temps were in the 80's - lots of sitting still in traffic and the bike never shut down.  Will be interesting to see how they perform when it is 100+ in a couple of months. So far very pleased with them.  Spoke to a Daytona motorcycle officer with a pair of black ones on his bike and he told me he had no problems with the heat issue we are referring to here.  Said his seargent had ordered them for $39 a pair for their Harleys but he did not know the name of the vendor.

They do an excellent job shielding heat away from the legs. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2007, 01:40:14 PM »

OK to keep up with the Jones' Rhino, I bought a IR thermometer @ Radio Shack for $50. I was in such a hurry to get to a meeting in Charleston that when I got there I realized... no batteries. Oh well, it was a nice ride. Batteries tomorrow, report to follow.

AJ (thecoolestchickmagnetbetterthanRhino'sjester)

AJ, don't let Sassy see that signature...she'll "demagnetize" you and your Jester real quick like.  :o :P :huepfenlol2:

2012 FLHXSE3

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2007, 07:22:03 PM »

Engine heat was a real problem when I first got my '06 CUSE.  True duals and tuning helped some, but in warm temps the biggest help was taking off the lowers.   Man, what an unbelievable difference with them off.

DZ,

So glad to read this. I have read in other threads about the rear cylinder heat issue that it did not seem to matter whether the lowers were open, shut, on or off. Common sense tells me that it would be better with them off. I replaced my Bassanis after getting a Corbin Dual Tour Seat that put me too close to the "power curve" and was literally scorching my leg in 85 degree weather. Getting the power curve off helped (went with V&H true duals) but it is still HOT on evening runs. Rode to dinner last night with 80 degree temps and light winds. After riding pretty much straight there (about 25 miles) my rear cylinder temp on the right side middle of the air fins was 354. Two friends, one with a 88 upgrade to a 95 and a stock 96 hp engine were both at around 280. All three of our head temps (on the chrome) were 100-104. I even have most of my AFR at 12.9 from 750 to 4500 RPM's at 20 to 80 % throttle (MAP) and the close loop bias was bottomed to 409.
This heat thing is gonna be trouble this summer here in Florida for sure. I'm taking off my lowers AND installing heat sgileds. I used them on my 05 UC and never had a problem in 12,000 miles in one year in Florida.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 11:32:09 AM by Robmay »

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2007, 09:31:46 PM »

I took the lowers off and went for a 200 mile ride today in all types of weather and riding conditions. Runs the cylinder temp anout 50 degrees cooler on the hottest day we have had this tear (90 degrees). Ran anywhere from 294 to 308 on the rear in the same place.

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2007, 09:49:07 PM »

Harley is going to sell a set of Mid Frame Heat deflectors thats painted to match the black inner fairing.
GtX thermal they call it. 
58022-07.
Coming soon !

Tros

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2007, 10:14:22 PM »

I would think using only the left side Kuryakyn shield would enhance rear cylinder/head cooling while moving but would most likely make the right side noticeably warmer.   

hogwander

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2007, 11:53:47 PM »

One side mounted to draw air past the rear cylinder. Now that's a novel idea! I don't think many of us could stand the imbalanced look on our bikes though. Something akin to mounting only one saddlebag and moving on down the road because we only need to carry one saddlebag of stuff today. Just not going to happen.
5 P's = Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance

103_RK

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2007, 06:51:44 AM »

Maybe I'm missing something here but since the heat shields deflect air after it has cooled the rear cylinder, as long as the air has someplace to go without blockage, will it really cause any problems or are we just worrying for nothing?  I have the heat shields and have not had noticeable problems.  My 103 has always ran on the hot side to me.  The shields did not make it worse.
103 RK
2003 FLHRSEI2

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2007, 09:29:58 AM »

Maybe I'm missing something here but since the heat shields deflect air after it has cooled the rear cylinder, as long as the air has someplace to go without blockage, will it really cause any problems or are we just worrying for nothing?  I have the heat shields and have not had noticeable problems.  My 103 has always ran on the hot side to me.  The shields did not make it worse.

Your not................... I have used them in the past, have two close friends that use them and no one has had a problem with them. TAKING THE LOWERS OFF MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE WITH THE HEAT ISSUE................. :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 09:31:44 AM by Robmay »

Tros

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2007, 09:48:50 AM »

One side mounted to draw air past the rear cylinder. Now that's a novel idea! I don't think many of us could stand the imbalanced look on our bikes though. Something akin to mounting only one saddlebag and moving on down the road because we only need to carry one saddlebag of stuff today. Just not going to happen.

A bit of analogy overkill? :nixweiss: 

Harley engines are not symmetrical to begin with. The Kuryakyn shields are transparant.  The left side of the engine is the "clean air" side. 

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2007, 09:54:20 AM »

These shields are in use on thousands of bikes.

If these bikes were overheating/siezing the info would be out there already.

It's a heat DEFLECTOR. 

flyingwillie

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 05 Cherry SEEG__Sold
    • CVO2: 06 Autumn Haze SEUC__Sold
    • CVO3: 09 Silver/Blue SEUC 4
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2007, 10:40:10 AM »

Robmay is correct....take the lower fairings off if you want a cooler engine.  I believe the owners manual even recommends that.  I had true duals and a new tuner (Daytona Twin Tec) installed last week, among other things, and my mechanic "insists" that I take off the lowers in hot weather.  I already use amsoil in all 3 holes and that has helped too.
 :cherry:

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2007, 11:19:03 AM »

I wonder how much of this "take the lowers off" thing is a hold over from the pre-05 days when the lowers were not vented?  With the vents wide open, I honestly don't see how a hell of a lot of air is getting "blocked" to the engine.  Sitting in traffic, having the lowers off is just simply not going to help much.  Going down the road, the open vents actually increase the velocity of the air passing between the lowers (same amount of air going through a smaller opening = more velocity).  The entire front of the engine is totally exposed when the vents are open fully.  I just don't see any huge benefit to taking off the lowers on the newer models. :nixweiss:

TTS Mastertune

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2007, 11:36:23 AM »

I wonder how much of this "take the lowers off" thing is a hold over from the pre-05 days when the lowers were not vented?  With the vents wide open, I honestly don't see how a hell of a lot of air is getting "blocked" to the engine.  Sitting in traffic, having the lowers off is just simply not going to help much.  Going down the road, the open vents actually increase the velocity of the air passing between the lowers (same amount of air going through a smaller opening = more velocity).  The entire front of the engine is totally exposed when the vents are open fully.  I just don't see any huge benefit to taking off the lowers on the newer models. :nixweiss:
I think the vents were added/designed to give rider more air to legs then to reduce heat on the engine. I personally like the look of my lowers on my bike and have never taken them off. I also believe the lowers were designed to capture/force more air to the engine. Granted it's only forcing it to the front jug, but by design of our engine with or with out the lowers isn't going to direct anymore air to the rear jug. I try to avoid situations were my bike is not going to be moving (getting airflow) when it gets really hot. If I'm going to be in situations where it's that hot and standstill traffic I want to be in my cage with the A/C on Max. :coolblue:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2007, 12:28:59 PM »

TC, do me a favor. Take them off and ride your bike oh about 100 yards up the road. If you don't notice a HUGE difference in air flow and riding temp on a longer ride, I will buy you a 6 pack of Modelo for your trouble!!  :drink: :huepfenjump3:

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2007, 12:30:16 PM »

I think the vents were added/designed to give rider more air to legs then to reduce heat on the engine. I personally like the look of my lowers on my bike and have never taken them off. I also believe the lowers were designed to capture/force more air to the engine. Granted it's only forcing it to the front jug, but by design of our engine with or with out the lowers isn't going to direct anymore air to the rear jug. I try to avoid situations were my bike is not going to be moving (getting airflow) when it gets really hot. If I'm going to be in situations where it's that hot and standstill traffic I want to be in my cage with the A/C on Max. :coolblue:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

True...it probably helps a little more air get to the engine to have the vented lowers, but I don't see the lowers blocking any more air than your legs do, and I prefer the looks with them on.  I was in 100 degree heat last summer on numerous occasions and bike never went into overheat mode.  

After all, it's the rear cylinder we all worry about, and having the lowers off ain't going to help that situation.  I have noticed that the Dragon Wings (or the other adjustable "wings") do help a WHOLE lot in directing more air to your upper and lower body while moving, so I personally think it's helping cool the rear jug off a bit as well to have the wings open and directing the air where you want it.  JMO

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2007, 12:36:09 PM »

TC, do me a favor. Take them off and ride your bike oh about 100 yards up the road. If you don't notice a HUGE difference in air flow and riding temp on a longer ride, I will buy you a 6 pack of Modelo for your trouble!!  :drink: :huepfenjump3:

Rob....dont' get me wrong, I'm not disagreeing about how much difference it would make to the rider to have them off...no doubt that the lowers block some air flow to your legs when moving down the road.  I'm just talking about how much it helps keep the engine cooler, and just don't see any significant gains or losses to engine temps.  For rider comfort, I'm sure it makes a difference.

TTS Mastertune

flyingwillie

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 05 Cherry SEEG__Sold
    • CVO2: 06 Autumn Haze SEUC__Sold
    • CVO3: 09 Silver/Blue SEUC 4
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2007, 12:44:23 PM »

Terry, I mentioned the vents on the lowers to my mechanic and he still insists it is much better for the engine to remove them in hot weather.  So when we meet in PCB in a couple of weeks I will likely have them off......the weather had better be getting hotter by then!!!!!
 :cherry:

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2007, 01:14:15 PM »

85-90 degrees...perfect beach weather!!  Can't wait!!!!! :bananarock: :orange: :apple: :cucumber: :pineapple: :coolblue:

TTS Mastertune

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2007, 05:08:02 PM »

True...it probably helps a little more air get to the engine to have the vented lowers, but I don't see the lowers blocking any more air than your legs do, and I prefer the looks with them on.  I was in 100 degree heat last summer on numerous occasions and bike never went into overheat mode. 

After all, it's the rear cylinder we all worry about, and having the lowers off ain't going to help that situation.  I have noticed that the Dragon Wings (or the other adjustable "wings") do help a WHOLE lot in directing more air to your upper and lower body while moving, so I personally think it's helping cool the rear jug off a bit as well to have the wings open and directing the air where you want it.  JMO

Echos what I have from several about taking the lowers off vs leaving them on.   Most guys I ride with leave them on all summer and as far as I know none have had overheating issues.  Interesting comment on the wings - look forward to trying that out this week.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2007, 05:44:02 PM »

Echos what I have from several about taking the lowers off vs leaving them on.   Most guys I ride with leave them on all summer and as far as I know none have had overheating issues.  Interesting comment on the wings - look forward to trying that out this week.

The wings really do work...it's like they funnel the air in.  On a couple of rides this year, I'd open them up mid afternoon because I was getting a bit warm, then forget I had done so later when the sun started down, and was going daaauuuum, I'm getting cold!!  I'd realize it and reach down and close them...big difference.

It's the Third Law of Thermodynamics:  Give the boys some air... :2vrolijk_21:

TTS Mastertune

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2007, 06:40:29 PM »

The wings really do work...it's like they funnel the air in.  On a couple of rides this year, I'd open them up mid afternoon because I was getting a bit warm, then forget I had done so later when the sun started down, and was going daaauuuum, I'm getting cold!!  I'd realize it and reach down and close them...big difference.

Another good excuse to air the bike out on Thursday.

Thanks bro. :pepper:

HogDude

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: Gone-05 SEEG2(never should have let her go)
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Road King
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2007, 07:51:35 PM »

Another good excuse to air the bike out on Thursday.

Thanks bro. :pepper:

Is this a do er yourself install ? Curious about the fitment on the batwing...
Thanks

HogDude

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: Gone-05 SEEG2(never should have let her go)
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Road King
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2007, 08:03:10 PM »

Is this a do er yourself install ? Curious about the fitment on the batwing...
Thanks

Guess I am asleep at the wheel. I had "dragon wings" on the brain.  :drink:  :-\

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2007, 08:11:44 PM »

Guess I am asleep at the wheel. I had "dragon wings" on the brain.  :drink:  :-\

At this point, I have had enough Dos XX's for this to make sense to me.

So the answer is "yes".   :drink: :drink: :drink:

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2007, 10:14:30 PM »

I ordered a set of the wings...decided that I liked the detented adjustments, and there doesn't seem to be any fitment issues like the Freedom Wings...guess I'll get used to the vanes or whatever those ridges are on them...I got used to the leather tour pak  so I guess I can get used to them...from you're appraisal Terry, they sound like they work really well...thanks,

2012 FLHXSE3

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2007, 02:36:43 PM »

Rob....dont' get me wrong, I'm not disagreeing about how much difference it would make to the rider to have them off...no doubt that the lowers block some air flow to your legs when moving down the road.  I'm just talking about how much it helps keep the engine cooler, and just don't see any significant gains or losses to engine temps.  For rider comfort, I'm sure it makes a difference.

T..... see Reply#24 and 25 of this post 50-60 degrees on my bike as far as rear cylinder temp is a good bit of difference on engine temp. I have an 07 RG stock 96ci and this is comparable to that now. I hope you didn't think I was offended by your post, I was just looking for an excuse to  :drink:.................. ;)

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2007, 03:29:46 PM »

Rob....that is a lot of difference!

I'm not easily offended... :beerchug:

TTS Mastertune

mattm

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2007, 01:38:02 PM »

I'm not easily offended... :beerchug:

That only means we need to try harder  :bananarock: .

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2007, 09:11:41 AM »

I attended a HOG event on the weekend and had a chance to speak one-on-one with Steve Phillips, Harley-Davidson Vice President, Quality, Reliability, and Technical Services.  Several of us ended up discussing the heat issues with the new 96 motors and the 110's.  Evidently Harley is working on a new catalyst (?) to allow the engines to run a bit cooler yet still meet EPA guidelines after 2010 - still air cooled.  He stated that the Moco could not tune a bike similar to a SERT or other after market module, due to EPA.  Same reason no true duals, etc.  His response to the questions on heat were - get a pair of the heat shields.  That was not that well received, not surprisingly.  On the warranty questions on after market modifications - he said "may qualify".  Depends on what has been done, how bike has been treated, etc.  Some dealers honor some things while others do not, and he suggested moving it up the chain of command if a satisfactory resolution was not reached at the dealer level re: warranty.

Anyway, since he suggested the heat shields, it answered this question from the Moco's perspective.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2007, 09:49:46 AM »

I attended a HOG event on the weekend and had a chance to speak one-on-one with Steve Phillips, Harley-Davidson Vice President, Quality, Reliability, and Technical Services.  Several of us ended up discussing the heat issues with the new 96 motors and the 110's.  Evidently Harley is working on a new catalyst (?) to allow the engines to run a bit cooler yet still meet EPA guidelines after 2010 - still air cooled.  He stated that the Moco could not tune a bike similar to a SERT or other after market module, due to EPA.  Same reason no true duals, etc.  His response to the questions on heat were - get a pair of the heat shields.  That was not that well received, not surprisingly.  On the warranty questions on after market modifications - he said "may qualify".  Depends on what has been done, how bike has been treated, etc.  Some dealers honor some things while others do not, and he suggested moving it up the chain of command if a satisfactory resolution was not reached at the dealer level re: warranty.

Anyway, since he suggested the heat shields, it answered this question from the Moco's perspective.
Hmmm. I think we as riders are smart enough to get off the bike before we get so hot that we blow a gasket or seize our internal motors. However the motors that they have in these bikes don't seem to having the same luck as we humans. The heat shields protect us, but doesn't do squat for the motor overheating and causing damage.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2007, 11:32:05 AM »

That only means we need to try harder  :bananarock: .

You know I have buttons...but this kind of thing is not one of them... 8)

I still like the idea of a little squirel cage fan/motor mounted in front of the battery box to blow the heat forward when sitting in traffic.  And the squirels are free...

TTS Mastertune

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
  • 07 'CUSE2 B & O ------ 09 BMW R1200GSA
    • TX
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2007, 12:19:38 PM »

Robmay,

Do your lowers have the adjustable doors in them?  If so did you try to just remove the doors but retain the outers?

I've been thinking about doing that to see if it makes any diff in engine temps -- I love the lowers - I have a lock door on the right and CD storage on the left, but don't want to face a full summer of riding in southeast Texas like last Sept on my 110....

Mark

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2007, 01:13:02 PM »

Robmay,

Do your lowers have the adjustable doors in them?  If so did you try to just remove the doors but retain the outers?

I've been thinking about doing that to see if it makes any diff in engine temps -- I love the lowers - I have a lock door on the right and CD storage on the left, but don't want to face a full summer of riding in southeast Texas like last Sept on my 110....

Mark

Mark,

No I did not try that. I tried them open and closed (which did not make a difference on mine believe it or not) but did not try removing them. I never used the storage area so I didn't have that to contend with when removing them. I like the looks of them but would rather have the cooler air for the summer. I will probably reinstall them next winter.

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2007, 01:22:03 PM »

Terry,
You've got a Clearview, right?  Do the shaded dragon wings match pretty well?  I read in on of the threads here the dragon wings or the Freedom wings matched better.  I live close to dood, so it's all about the "look"  ;)...
Thanks,
Tony

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2007, 01:24:46 PM »

Hmmm. I think we as riders are smart enough to get off the bike before we get so hot that we blow a gasket or seize our internal motors. However the motors that they have in these bikes don't seem to having the same luck as we humans. The heat shields protect us, but doesn't do squat for the motor overheating and causing damage.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

Fired00d,

One lady on a stock (no true duals no adds to engine - nada) Ultra (96) was explaining just that to Steve.  She had melted 2 sets of rainsuit pants due to the heat. The pants had NOT touched pipes, etc. - just the heat off the engine according to her had melted them.  Told him it was just reacting to a problem rather than fixing it. He told the group he had ridden an 07 Ultra from San Diego to North Carolina last year.  At some point, he added the saddle heat shileds himself to the bike, so the Moco knows firsthand.

At this point, after the true duals & SERT & stage 1 mine runs cooler than it did but when I ride in 100 degree plus heat this summer, I wonder.........?????

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2007, 02:06:30 PM »

Terry,
You've got a Clearview, right?  Do the shaded dragon wings match pretty well?  I read in on of the threads here the dragon wings or the Freedom wings matched better.  I live close to dood, so it's all about the "look"  ;)...
Thanks,
Tony
You want a "Rat" bike like mines? ;)

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2007, 02:10:14 PM »

You want a "Rat" bike like mines? ;)

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
I'll be very happy to have a ride as nice as your's Gary!
Tony

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2007, 02:17:40 PM »

I'll be very happy to have a ride as nice as your's Gary!
Tony
Thanks Tony. :2vrolijk_21: Wasn't anything to it except my kids inheritance. :huepfenlol2: They can work for theirs like I worked for mines. ;)

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2007, 05:00:30 PM »

Terry,
Thanks,
Tony

Tony...sorry it took so long for me to find this, but I've been preoccupied since last Wednesday.

Yes, the Dragon Wings DO match the Clearview well.  The Clearview has more of a smoked bronze look to it, as do the DW's, unlike the smokey gray tint on the original wings for the bike.

TTS Mastertune

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2007, 08:12:38 AM »

Tony...sorry it took so long for me to find this, but I've been preoccupied since last Wednesday.

Yes, the Dragon Wings DO match the Clearview well.  The Clearview has more of a smoked bronze look to it, as do the DW's, unlike the smokey gray tint on the original wings for the bike.
Terry,
No problem at all.  Thanks.
Tony

charlie

« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2007, 08:53:59 PM »

the shields are great and i had stone MT. put mine on when they did my 10k service,they suggested them because i B EYED tched about the heat
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Page created in 0.359 seconds with 21 queries.