Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Saddle Shields Heat Problems?  (Read 12085 times)

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Saddle Shields Heat Problems?
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2007, 09:29:58 AM »

Maybe I'm missing something here but since the heat shields deflect air after it has cooled the rear cylinder, as long as the air has someplace to go without blockage, will it really cause any problems or are we just worrying for nothing?  I have the heat shields and have not had noticeable problems.  My 103 has always ran on the hot side to me.  The shields did not make it worse.

Your not................... I have used them in the past, have two close friends that use them and no one has had a problem with them. TAKING THE LOWERS OFF MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE WITH THE HEAT ISSUE................. :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 09:31:44 AM by Robmay »

Tros

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2007, 09:48:50 AM »

One side mounted to draw air past the rear cylinder. Now that's a novel idea! I don't think many of us could stand the imbalanced look on our bikes though. Something akin to mounting only one saddlebag and moving on down the road because we only need to carry one saddlebag of stuff today. Just not going to happen.

A bit of analogy overkill? :nixweiss: 

Harley engines are not symmetrical to begin with. The Kuryakyn shields are transparant.  The left side of the engine is the "clean air" side. 

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2007, 09:54:20 AM »

These shields are in use on thousands of bikes.

If these bikes were overheating/siezing the info would be out there already.

It's a heat DEFLECTOR. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

flyingwillie

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 05 Cherry SEEG__Sold
    • CVO2: 06 Autumn Haze SEUC__Sold
    • CVO3: 09 Silver/Blue SEUC 4
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2007, 10:40:10 AM »

Robmay is correct....take the lower fairings off if you want a cooler engine.  I believe the owners manual even recommends that.  I had true duals and a new tuner (Daytona Twin Tec) installed last week, among other things, and my mechanic "insists" that I take off the lowers in hot weather.  I already use amsoil in all 3 holes and that has helped too.
 :cherry:

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2007, 11:19:03 AM »

I wonder how much of this "take the lowers off" thing is a hold over from the pre-05 days when the lowers were not vented?  With the vents wide open, I honestly don't see how a hell of a lot of air is getting "blocked" to the engine.  Sitting in traffic, having the lowers off is just simply not going to help much.  Going down the road, the open vents actually increase the velocity of the air passing between the lowers (same amount of air going through a smaller opening = more velocity).  The entire front of the engine is totally exposed when the vents are open fully.  I just don't see any huge benefit to taking off the lowers on the newer models. :nixweiss:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2007, 11:36:23 AM »

I wonder how much of this "take the lowers off" thing is a hold over from the pre-05 days when the lowers were not vented?  With the vents wide open, I honestly don't see how a hell of a lot of air is getting "blocked" to the engine.  Sitting in traffic, having the lowers off is just simply not going to help much.  Going down the road, the open vents actually increase the velocity of the air passing between the lowers (same amount of air going through a smaller opening = more velocity).  The entire front of the engine is totally exposed when the vents are open fully.  I just don't see any huge benefit to taking off the lowers on the newer models. :nixweiss:
I think the vents were added/designed to give rider more air to legs then to reduce heat on the engine. I personally like the look of my lowers on my bike and have never taken them off. I also believe the lowers were designed to capture/force more air to the engine. Granted it's only forcing it to the front jug, but by design of our engine with or with out the lowers isn't going to direct anymore air to the rear jug. I try to avoid situations were my bike is not going to be moving (getting airflow) when it gets really hot. If I'm going to be in situations where it's that hot and standstill traffic I want to be in my cage with the A/C on Max. :coolblue:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2007, 12:28:59 PM »

TC, do me a favor. Take them off and ride your bike oh about 100 yards up the road. If you don't notice a HUGE difference in air flow and riding temp on a longer ride, I will buy you a 6 pack of Modelo for your trouble!!  :drink: :huepfenjump3:

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2007, 12:30:16 PM »

I think the vents were added/designed to give rider more air to legs then to reduce heat on the engine. I personally like the look of my lowers on my bike and have never taken them off. I also believe the lowers were designed to capture/force more air to the engine. Granted it's only forcing it to the front jug, but by design of our engine with or with out the lowers isn't going to direct anymore air to the rear jug. I try to avoid situations were my bike is not going to be moving (getting airflow) when it gets really hot. If I'm going to be in situations where it's that hot and standstill traffic I want to be in my cage with the A/C on Max. :coolblue:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

True...it probably helps a little more air get to the engine to have the vented lowers, but I don't see the lowers blocking any more air than your legs do, and I prefer the looks with them on.  I was in 100 degree heat last summer on numerous occasions and bike never went into overheat mode.  

After all, it's the rear cylinder we all worry about, and having the lowers off ain't going to help that situation.  I have noticed that the Dragon Wings (or the other adjustable "wings") do help a WHOLE lot in directing more air to your upper and lower body while moving, so I personally think it's helping cool the rear jug off a bit as well to have the wings open and directing the air where you want it.  JMO

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2007, 12:36:09 PM »

TC, do me a favor. Take them off and ride your bike oh about 100 yards up the road. If you don't notice a HUGE difference in air flow and riding temp on a longer ride, I will buy you a 6 pack of Modelo for your trouble!!  :drink: :huepfenjump3:

Rob....dont' get me wrong, I'm not disagreeing about how much difference it would make to the rider to have them off...no doubt that the lowers block some air flow to your legs when moving down the road.  I'm just talking about how much it helps keep the engine cooler, and just don't see any significant gains or losses to engine temps.  For rider comfort, I'm sure it makes a difference.

TTS Mastertune

flyingwillie

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 05 Cherry SEEG__Sold
    • CVO2: 06 Autumn Haze SEUC__Sold
    • CVO3: 09 Silver/Blue SEUC 4
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2007, 12:44:23 PM »

Terry, I mentioned the vents on the lowers to my mechanic and he still insists it is much better for the engine to remove them in hot weather.  So when we meet in PCB in a couple of weeks I will likely have them off......the weather had better be getting hotter by then!!!!!
 :cherry:

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2007, 01:14:15 PM »

85-90 degrees...perfect beach weather!!  Can't wait!!!!! :bananarock: :orange: :apple: :cucumber: :pineapple: :coolblue:

TTS Mastertune

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2007, 05:08:02 PM »

True...it probably helps a little more air get to the engine to have the vented lowers, but I don't see the lowers blocking any more air than your legs do, and I prefer the looks with them on.  I was in 100 degree heat last summer on numerous occasions and bike never went into overheat mode. 

After all, it's the rear cylinder we all worry about, and having the lowers off ain't going to help that situation.  I have noticed that the Dragon Wings (or the other adjustable "wings") do help a WHOLE lot in directing more air to your upper and lower body while moving, so I personally think it's helping cool the rear jug off a bit as well to have the wings open and directing the air where you want it.  JMO

Echos what I have from several about taking the lowers off vs leaving them on.   Most guys I ride with leave them on all summer and as far as I know none have had overheating issues.  Interesting comment on the wings - look forward to trying that out this week.

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2007, 05:44:02 PM »

Echos what I have from several about taking the lowers off vs leaving them on.   Most guys I ride with leave them on all summer and as far as I know none have had overheating issues.  Interesting comment on the wings - look forward to trying that out this week.

The wings really do work...it's like they funnel the air in.  On a couple of rides this year, I'd open them up mid afternoon because I was getting a bit warm, then forget I had done so later when the sun started down, and was going daaauuuum, I'm getting cold!!  I'd realize it and reach down and close them...big difference.

It's the Third Law of Thermodynamics:  Give the boys some air... :2vrolijk_21:

TTS Mastertune

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2007, 06:40:29 PM »

The wings really do work...it's like they funnel the air in.  On a couple of rides this year, I'd open them up mid afternoon because I was getting a bit warm, then forget I had done so later when the sun started down, and was going daaauuuum, I'm getting cold!!  I'd realize it and reach down and close them...big difference.

It's the Third Law of Thermodynamics:  Give the boys some air... :2vrolijk_21:

Another good excuse to air the bike out on Thursday.

Thanks bro. :pepper:

HogDude

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: Gone-05 SEEG2(never should have let her go)
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Road King
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2007, 07:51:35 PM »

Another good excuse to air the bike out on Thursday.

Thanks bro. :pepper:

Is this a do er yourself install ? Curious about the fitment on the batwing...
Thanks

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 21 queries.