Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Air filters  (Read 1293 times)

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
Air filters
« on: May 03, 2007, 02:25:36 AM »

Hey Guys,
I am in the process of planning my upgrades on my springer (build date 1 Jun) I have heard many opinions of filters and I am sold on replacing the stock one in favor of an upgraded one.  I think the two that most people discuss are the Big Sucker and the K & N.  I have also learned  :confused5: that the stage II filters wont fit the stock location, but that they flow better air.  I am interested in the cooling properties as well as the power gains. Since I am prolly smarter than 2% (but then again prolly not) of you I would like the other 98% opinion of which filter I should go with to complement pipes (probably V & H big radius) and a SERT, do you just pop OEM out and after market in or is there modifications that are required.  I am not interested in dumping a ton down to initially upgrade properly functioning parts in favor of JUST more TQ/HP but everything I have read it is better to change some parts to cool the engine down a bit.  If you have opinions of this I would like them as well.  There will be plenty of time to create my improvement addiction. Thanx in advance of attempting to educate this pea brain of mine  :nixweiss: :confused5:

seegarsmkr

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• CVO1: FLSTFSE
    • Aussie's home page
Re: Air filters
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 07:21:04 AM »

Hey Guys,
I am in the process of planning my upgrades on my springer (build date 1 Jun) I have heard many opinions of filters and I am sold on replacing the stock one in favor of an upgraded one.  I think the two that most people discuss are the Big Sucker and the K & N.  I have also learned  :confused5: that the stage II filters wont fit the stock location, but that they flow better air.  I am interested in the cooling properties as well as the power gains. Since I am prolly smarter than 2% (but then again prolly not) of you I would like the other 98% opinion of which filter I should go with to complement pipes (probably V & H big radius) and a SERT, do you just pop OEM out and after market in or is there modifications that are required.  I am not interested in dumping a ton down to initially upgrade properly functioning parts in favor of JUST more TQ/HP but everything I have read it is better to change some parts to cool the engine down a bit.  If you have opinions of this I would like them as well.  There will be plenty of time to create my improvement addiction. Thanx in advance of attempting to educate this pea brain of mine  :nixweiss: :confused5:

seegarsmkr

The Screamin Eagle Heavy Breather Performance Air Cleaner Kit #29592-05 would be good & also look good on the springer & I am pretty sure it has better flow than the Big Sucker. I would also recommend the new Big radius 2 into 1 along with the SERT & if you can find a good tuner you will be very very impressed.

Cheers
Aussie

FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

Seegarsmkr

• Elite CVO Member
  • Do or do not there is no try...Yoda
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 07:26:17 AM »

Very nice Aussie,
How long did that take to do and was it difficult or did you have your dealer do it for you...what kinda numbers are you pushing with those mods?
Seegarsmkr

:znotworthy: :thumbsup:

If it sticks...force it...if it breaks...the damn thing needed replacing anyway!!

Seegarsmkr

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 07:33:17 AM »

That looks great Aussie,
I'm sure that is a very free flowing system. I would worry about riding in the rain with that setup though. Maybe a fabric (not foam) prefilter would help keep the water out?

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• Aussie's home page
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 07:47:30 AM »

Very nice Aussie,
How long did that take to do and was it difficult or did you have your dealer do it for you...what kinda numbers are you pushing with those mods?
Seegarsmkr

:znotworthy: :thumbsup:

That is not actually mine, it belongs to another site member! but I did order one of those filters this morning along with a set of the Big radius 2 into 1 pipes as I believe this will enhance my performance even more so I should be able to post a pic late next week or early the following week. I would be fitting them myself & think it would take no longer than 1/2 an hour for the pipes & another 1/2 an hour for the air cleaner. I have the 2005 Fatboy 103, I am currently pumping out 105hp & 109ft/lb tq with the zippers 575G cams, big sucker & a non preforming but good looking pipe.

Cheers
Aussie

PS: I will also need to have it redynoed!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 07:49:11 AM by AUSSIE_FLSTFSE »
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• Aussie's home page
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 07:51:56 AM »

That looks great Aussie,
I'm sure that is a very free flowing system. I would worry about riding in the rain with that setup though. Maybe a fabric (not foam) prefilter would help keep the water out?

VA,
I just dont see the need to ride in the rain. Call me soft or woteva but I really do try & avoid this. (but yes I agree some protection would be handy if caught in the rain)

Cheers
Aussie
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 07:53:40 AM by AUSSIE_FLSTFSE »
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 21 queries.