Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Injectors gone sour ( calling unbalanced)  (Read 2703 times)

tommyo

• Throttles on the right!
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2
Injectors gone sour ( calling unbalanced)
« on: May 08, 2007, 10:58:29 PM »

I heard through the grape vine that there was a recall on some '06 modles for bad fuel injectors. Is there such a thing? I have some real bad pinging going on! I have about 950 mi. on the new big bore and was set to have a dyno tune next week. It started at about 800 mi. Between 2200 and 2600 4+5 gear roll ons it pings real bad untill you get past that. Really kind of sucks and I'm worried that the thing is really lean. Any info would be great.

When in doubt... GAS it!!!

Starting over!!

Jester_Red07

• http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i213/VROCKSE/RedJester034.jpg
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE 2 VRSCSE
Re: Injectors gone sour ( calling unbalanced)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 12:53:40 AM »

There was a change in 06 from 8Degree injectors to 25 degree. You can take a flashlight and look under your tank at the rear , and read the numbers of the injector you have. If you have the 8,s They should change them for free.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 03:36:13 PM »

There was a change in 06 from 8Degree injectors to 25 degree. You can take a flashlight and look under your tank at the rear , and read the numbers of the injector you have. If you have the 8,s They should change them for free.

TommyO,

Yup that is correct information, but it was only on 06 bikes no other year.   I am not sure the pinging is due to the injectors though.   Most of the issues were stalling / hard starts / erratic behavior.

Are you sure the pinging is not due to too much timing being added to the bike to produce performance.

If you have the 8 degrees I would still get them changed to the 25 degree, but it may not mean your pinging will go away.    Does it ping at any specific point like 3000 rpm and light throttle or at Wide Open Throttle or when you go from no load like cruising at 1800 to 2300 rpm and you wack the throttle and you get pinging?

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

tommyo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 07:29:57 PM »

It happens at a few different ranges. 3rd gear at 2500rpm and wack it it pings. Mostly when in 4/5 gear at 2200-2600 roll on. If you get past that it seems to clear up. It didn't do it up untill about 800+ miles of the break in. Now I have 950 miles and it is getting worse. It is going in Tues. for a dyno tune will they be able to clean that up with my race tuner?

Here is another deal... I had the oil changed about 150 miles ago (800mi.) The guy that did it (a private guy)said I should not break in a bike with synthetic. I had Syn 3 in it from the dealer after the big bore kit. He talked me into using regular oil (Rev Tech) until break in is over. The next ride is when this started. I went back to have him check the levels to make sure I wasn't getting engine noise and everthing was fine. He took it for a spin and said that it was injectors too. :nixweiss:

Starting over!!

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 08:06:41 PM »

TommyO,

I would really like to know how he feels its the injectors without first retarding the timing and being sure the air fuel is absolutely correct.   I wont say its not the injector but, I would retard the timing X degrees and go ride it.    Generally when you hear when your wacking the throttle hard it its timing / compression, but since your going for a dyno they can definitely check this and go from there.     If it is the injectors they will be able to test them using the digital tech as well as test them against the duty cycle in the data analyzer with the SERT.

Hopefully you will get it resolved soon, I would not put a lot of miles on it because of detonation / pinging.

While I personally agree with breaking it in with Dyno oil over Syn that is a personal choice and quite honestly there is enough fud out there to make either seem like the right way to go.   The moco wants to sell you the oil they make more money on so they put it in all the bikes now.   Until they had their name on the SYNTHETIC they wanted you to use their Dyno oil.     :nixweiss:

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

tommyo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 04:39:09 PM »

Harry,

It goews in tonite . Hopefully the dyno will straighten things out. Why would it do it later in the break in? it didn't do it for the first 800mi.

Tommy O

Starting over!!

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 09:01:37 PM »

Tommy,

Only things I could think of would be Intake leak, timing / tune or it could be an injector or another sensor.   Since the motor works in its stock state of pressure in the intake if you had a leak this could seem like an injector and it could also change the amount of fuel being delivered based on the pressure.   You could check your speedo for any codes thrown if you have not brought the bike in yet.   Let us know what you find after the toon.

Look forward to hearing about the dyno and what you find out,

tommyo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2007, 10:48:00 PM »

They did the dyno tune and the results are in... I don't have the paper work in front of me I didn't pick up the bike yet. 97hp and 94tq. I was kinda bummed that the tq wasn't a bit higher. They didn't say much about the engine noise I had so they must have tuned it out. I will find out when I pick it up. Do you think if I add the 2" baffels for the bub pipes the tq might pick up a little? Probably loose some hp though.

Starting over!!

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 08:28:03 AM »

TommyO,

Are they the 07 rineharts or an and older pair without the bungs already in both pipes?

If they are the 07 version then you would want to get the performance baffles based on the configuration from BUB with a chock welded into the center of them.

If they are the 06 or earlier than you might consider the quiet baffles to gain a little more down low and  yes you would most likely lose a little bit at the top end.   

One other thing you could consider as well, is sending off your throttlebody to have it enlarged from what it is today to say a 48/49 mm that will allow a lot more air flow as well.  This can be done for about 350 to 400 dollars.   The other choice is to have an 07 screaming eagle throttle body 50mm with cruise capable put on it will cost you a few extra bucks because they have to rewire it to fit an 05 bike as it was made for 06 and newer, but my dealer has said it is not a big deal and was going to do it for a friend that put a 120 motor in his 04 FLH.   Just some more ideas for you.   

Hopefully they got rid of concerns and let us know how it runs.

tommyo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 11:02:17 PM »

They are '06 Rineharts. Thinking about the quiet baffels... more for the wife and maybe to get a little more tq. It really runs pretty good as it sits.

Starting over!!

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007, 08:49:21 AM »

TommyO,

I would consider the Performance baffles over the quiet ones for that bike.   It will probably help you get to the 100 number your looking for since your only a couple a way.

tommyo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007, 04:40:36 PM »

I like your thinking!!!

Starting over!!

Page created in 0.293 seconds with 21 queries.