Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Help!I Reinstalled My Stock ECM and No start  (Read 12189 times)

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
Help!I Reinstalled My Stock ECM and No start
« on: May 10, 2007, 12:11:04 AM »

Just reinstalled my Stock ECM on my '05 and I get no engine light and no Injector pump running. Battery was disconnected when I reinstalled.   Is there a magic something I need to do when I reinstall the ECM. Checked the obvious, Battery and fuses...Any ideas?? Thanks Greg   
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

Re: Help!I Reinstalled My Stock ECM and No start
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 09:12:34 AM »

Just reinstalled my Stock ECM on my '05 and I get no engine light and no Injector pump running. Battery was disconnected when I reinstalled.   Is there a magic something I need to do when I reinstall the ECM. Checked the obvious, Battery and fuses...Any ideas?? Thanks Greg   

Just got off the phone with my Buddy at Harley and found out anytime that you disconnect the stock ECM from the system it has to relearn the password...Here's the process...I'll keep you posted.. 

Harley ECM Password Learn Procedure

When installing a new ignition or ECM on a security-equipped Harley there is a "Password Learn" procedure that must be performed. This applies to all Twin Cam and V-Rod models with factory security but may also apply to Twin Cam's with EFI. The TSM/TSSM and ECM have "learned" passwords that synchronize the control module with several other components. Once you remove a component from this chain the module shuts down and won't start. This is reported to only occur with EFI models but the new 2004 carbureted models demonstrate the same shut-down when changing the ignition module.

Once you have installed the ignition module and reconnected the battery, perform the starting sequence as normal. The engine will cough once in an effort to start but will fail when the module shuts off the fuel.

Special Note: During the Password Learning procedure the ignition will remain in the "On" position for an extended period of time (30+ minutes). While "On", power is supplied to the headlight thus draining the battery. If the battery charge drops below a certain level during the Password Learn procedure the process will cease and you will have to start over. To avoid this connect a trickle charger to the battery throughout the procedure.

Download the Password Learn procedure in PDF for printing.
Step    Action    Confirmation    Notes
1    Set Run switch to Run    -    - 
2    Turn Ignition key On-Off-On-Off-On-Off-On and then toggle the Left Turn Signal switch twice.    -      - 
3    Turn Ignition key Off-On    Verify the Check Engine lamp and Security Lamp illuminate briefly and then turn off.    Security lamp will not illuminate on non-security (TSM) Twin Cam models.
4    Attempt normal start one time.    Engine starts and stalls immediately. check engine lamp stays on.    Password has not been learned and sets trouble code P1009, thus stopping fuel flow.
5    Wait 10 seconds    Security Lamp remains lit for V-Rod and TC88 with TSSM. Lamp will not be on for TC88 TSM models.    ECM enters Password Learning mode for 10 minutes. Do Not cycle the ignition or disrupt power.
6    Wait until Security Lamp turns off or a minimum of 10 minutes has passed.    -      - 
7    Quickly (within 2 seconds) turn Ignition key OFF-ON    Security Lamp remains lit for V-Rod and TC88 with TSSM. Lamp will not be on for TC88 TSM models.    - 
8    Wait until Security Lamp turns off or a minimum of 10 minutes has passed.    -      Password Learning mode for 10 minutes. Do Not cycle the ignition or disrupt power.
9    Quickly (within 2 seconds) turn Ignition key OFF-ON    Security Lamp remains lit for V-Rod and TC88 with TSSM. Lamp will not be on for TC88 TSM models.    - 
10    Wait until Security Lamp turns off or a minimum of 10 minutes has passed.    -      Password Learning mode for 10 minutes. Do Not cycle the ignition or disrupt power.
11    Quickly (within 2 seconds) turn Ignition key OFF-ON    Security Lamp light and then turn off. Lamp will not be on for TC88 TSM models.    - 
12    Turn Ignition switch OFF. Wait 15 seconds. Turn Ignition switch ON and start engine to confirm the Password Learn Procedure is successful.    Engine will start and remain running. If engine immediately stalls and fails to restart the procedure was not successful. Start over at step 1.    - 
   The above steps must be timed and performed exactly as described. Any deviation will require you to start again from step 1.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 09:17:34 AM »

Just got off the phone with my Buddy at Harley and found out anytime that you disconnect the stock ECM from the system it has to relearn the password...Here's the process...I'll keep you posted.. 

Harley ECM Password Learn Procedure from   http://www.harley-performance.com/index.html

When installing a new ignition or ECM on a security-equipped Harley there is a "Password Learn" procedure that must be performed. This applies to all Twin Cam and V-Rod models with factory security but may also apply to Twin Cam's with EFI. The TSM/TSSM and ECM have "learned" passwords that synchronize the control module with several other components. Once you remove a component from this chain the module shuts down and won't start. This is reported to only occur with EFI models but the new 2004 carbureted models demonstrate the same shut-down when changing the ignition module.

Once you have installed the ignition module and reconnected the battery, perform the starting sequence as normal. The engine will cough once in an effort to start but will fail when the module shuts off the fuel.

Special Note: During the Password Learning procedure the ignition will remain in the "On" position for an extended period of time (30+ minutes). While "On", power is supplied to the headlight thus draining the battery. If the battery charge drops below a certain level during the Password Learn procedure the process will cease and you will have to start over. To avoid this connect a trickle charger to the battery throughout the procedure.

Download the Password Learn procedure in PDF for printing.
Step    Action    Confirmation    Notes
1    Set Run switch to Run    -    - 
2    Turn Ignition key On-Off-On-Off-On-Off-On and then toggle the Left Turn Signal switch twice.    -      - 
3    Turn Ignition key Off-On    Verify the Check Engine lamp and Security Lamp illuminate briefly and then turn off.    Security lamp will not illuminate on non-security (TSM) Twin Cam models.
4    Attempt normal start one time.    Engine starts and stalls immediately. check engine lamp stays on.    Password has not been learned and sets trouble code P1009, thus stopping fuel flow.
5    Wait 10 seconds    Security Lamp remains lit for V-Rod and TC88 with TSSM. Lamp will not be on for TC88 TSM models.    ECM enters Password Learning mode for 10 minutes. Do Not cycle the ignition or disrupt power.
6    Wait until Security Lamp turns off or a minimum of 10 minutes has passed.    -      - 
7    Quickly (within 2 seconds) turn Ignition key OFF-ON    Security Lamp remains lit for V-Rod and TC88 with TSSM. Lamp will not be on for TC88 TSM models.    - 
8    Wait until Security Lamp turns off or a minimum of 10 minutes has passed.    -      Password Learning mode for 10 minutes. Do Not cycle the ignition or disrupt power.
9    Quickly (within 2 seconds) turn Ignition key OFF-ON    Security Lamp remains lit for V-Rod and TC88 with TSSM. Lamp will not be on for TC88 TSM models.    - 
10    Wait until Security Lamp turns off or a minimum of 10 minutes has passed.    -      Password Learning mode for 10 minutes. Do Not cycle the ignition or disrupt power.
11    Quickly (within 2 seconds) turn Ignition key OFF-ON    Security Lamp light and then turn off. Lamp will not be on for TC88 TSM models.    - 
12    Turn Ignition switch OFF. Wait 15 seconds. Turn Ignition switch ON and start engine to confirm the Password Learn Procedure is successful.    Engine will start and remain running. If engine immediately stalls and fails to restart the procedure was not successful. Start over at step 1.    - 
   The above steps must be timed and performed exactly as described. Any deviation will require you to start again from step 1.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 11:37:04 AM »

do you also have to chew gum, pat your head, and rub your belly?

Glad you got it figured out, and hope you are succesful with the timing!!
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 12:22:00 PM »

Good grief!  And I thought I was applying some level of redundant backup by carrying the original ECM all wrapped up nice and safe in the bottom of the saddlebag after the Thundermax went on. 

That is a nutso procedure.  Totally nutso.  I thought the cruise cable lash adjustment was about two steps longer than it needed to be.  Some of the manual alarm functions are very funky as well.  But this one seems to set the record for a level of funk unsurpassed elsewhere.  The only excuse for a procedure like that is a software engineer with a bad sense of humor or one whose spouse hadn't been putting out for quite awhile.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 12:27:32 PM »

Good grief!  And I thought I was applying some level of redundant backup by carrying the original ECM all wrapped up nice and safe in the bottom of the saddlebag after the Thundermax went on. 

That is a nutso procedure.  Totally nutso.  I thought the cruise cable lash adjustment was about two steps longer than it needed to be.  Some of the manual alarm functions are very funky as well.  But this one seems to set the record for a level of funk unsurpassed elsewhere.  The only excuse for a procedure like that is a software engineer with a bad sense of humor or one whose spouse hadn't been putting out for quite awhile.
Wise words spoken from my brother of a another mother. :huepfenlol2:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 12:48:32 PM »

Thoght you might appreciate this Don>> I just ASSumed that you could just yank the stock ECM on and off no big deal>>  No deal>>> Almost makes me want to put the TMAX back on and buy another one so I won't have to do it. Im going to give it a whirl and if it dosen't work I'll put the TMAX on ride it down to Harley let them do it and we are done>>> By the way is anyone going on the RUN FOR THE WALL SOuthern Route??? I'm picking it up in Weatherford Texas and going all the way to D.C>>>>     

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 12:52:31 PM »

..... By the way is anyone going on the RUN FOR THE WALL SOuthern Route??? I'm picking it up in Weatherford Texas and going all the way to D.C>>>>     
Not doing the Run To The Wall ride, but some of us are trying to get together during this event. Check/watch this thread - Rolling Thunder. Hopefully we can get something together for a meet/greet on Saturday someplace. I've found out in the past trying to meet someone on the Sunday of the event w/all the traffic/activity going on is near to impossible.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 12:58:28 PM »

Thoght you might appreciate this Don>> I just ASSumed that you could just yank the stock ECM on and off no big deal>>  No deal>>> Almost makes me want to put the TMAX back on and buy another one so I won't have to do it. Im going to give it a whirl and if it dosen't work I'll put the TMAX on ride it down to Harley let them do it and we are done>>> By the way is anyone going on the RUN FOR THE WALL SOuthern Route??? I'm picking it up in Weatherford Texas and going all the way to D.C>>>>     

Yeah, my head is still spinning over that setup.  I'm wondering one thing though; if the procedure only applies if another ECM has been hooked up in between or if it applies any time the ECM has been unhooked.

Wonder because my ECM had been unhooked before during Power Commander installations and removals.  Even had a Power Commander crap out on this bike.  Stopped at a rest stop.  Unhooked it.  Plugged the ECM back in directly and rode away.

So it's not an absolute that any time the ECM is unhooked it has to go back through this one legged toe tapping initialization procedure.  I'm almost curious enough to plug my OE module back in for a minute just to see what happens.  Almost......

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 01:42:01 PM »

You need to install a mystery button.

There is a thread on this somewhere around here.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 02:59:33 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 03:15:40 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:

NO what the hell I need is an EASY BUTTON>>>>Greg

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 12:43:13 AM »

There is a thread on this somewhere around here.

By jove, I think he's getting it! ;) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 02:12:09 AM »

NO what the hell I need is an EASY BUTTON>>>>Greg

Mystery button.  Easy button.  If you use 'em right it's the same thing!

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2007, 08:28:06 PM »

Mystery button.  Easy button.  If you use 'em right it's the same thing!

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!>> After using a test light across all the fuses I found the ignition fuse blown, It blew right down in the corner where you couldn't see it.  Called a buddy and Got got the print out and started disconnecting things.. Started with the ECM, put another fuse in it and it blew again...Removed the faring cap unplugged the connector for the ignition switch to the main harness ,put in a fuse and bingo. No blown fuse when the ignition turned on. What we found was the gray wire in the harness got wedged between the faring cap and the inner faring brace and pinched it put a little hole the size of  a ball point pen in the wire. You could see where it arced and went to ground, Repaired the wire slit some small rubber hose and tie wrapped it to the bracket. TURNED THE KEY AND THE MUSIC STARTED PLAYING!!! How sweet is it!!... A couple of lessons learned 1. Always check fuses with a test light. 2. Damn it;s good to have friends!

YOK TWOLANE>>>ou can breath easy now.. I had the stock ECM on the bike and it fired right up with out any of that Password learn stuff....Thanks to everyone for their assistance! Greg
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 21 queries.