Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modify stock mufflers  (Read 3261 times)

Al Spag

• 2012 Big Blue Pearl FLHX
Modify stock mufflers
« on: May 15, 2007, 09:44:11 PM »

Has anyone attempted to modify the stock mufflers on an 07 FLHTCUSE2. I want a better sound, but like the stock style .

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Modify stock mufflers
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 11:18:14 PM »

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 04:10:41 PM »

Ive seen a number of them with the Cats removed they sound good and flow much better, Pumba had a thread outling a novel method for removal that didn't require a core drill.

Pumba11

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 10:36:30 AM »

Thanks Dart!

I have about 700 miles on my de-cated '06 CVO mufflers and am very pleased.  I was able to keep the free flow I had in my previous 1-piece SE mufflers (real rappy sounding pipes) with a much toned down sound.  If I had to be picky I would like just a touch more volume, but the sound they do make when I get on it, is deep and growly (I know not a word).   Bike runs great with no seat of the pants loss in torque at all, possibly a gain.  I am running mine on a carbed 88" TC with SE AC, and am very pleased.  One note: while cruising, the bike is very easy on the ears, yet it has this kind of low droning sound, kind of like a turbine jet engine.  I actually think its pretty cool. 

And somebody in the past asked about yellowing.  Nope not even a hint.

Easy process, let me know if you are interested in the procedure.  Cheep and easy.   

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

• CVO1: 2007 B&O FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 08:12:02 PM »

Thanks Dart!

I have about 700 miles on my de-cated '06 CVO mufflers and am very pleased.  I was able to keep the free flow I had in my previous 1-piece SE mufflers (real rappy sounding pipes) with a much toned down sound.  If I had to be picky I would like just a touch more volume, but the sound they do make when I get on it, is deep and growly (I know not a word).   Bike runs great with no seat of the pants loss in torque at all, possibly a gain.  I am running mine on a carbed 88" TC with SE AC, and am very pleased.  One note: while cruising, the bike is very easy on the ears, yet it has this kind of low droning sound, kind of like a turbine jet engine.  I actually think its pretty cool. 

And somebody in the past asked about yellowing.  Nope not even a hint.

Easy process, let me know if you are interested in the procedure.  Cheep and easy.   
Pumba11,
Will your approach for "de-catting" work on the 07 CUSE mufflers?
TIA,
TC

Pumba11

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 09:39:45 AM »

If this '07 is like the '06 where you an see the cat element when looking in the inlet.  I don't think it would be a problem.  But I have not done an '07 muffler myself.

Here is what I put in the previous post.

PIPE PUNCH METHOD

I was able to core out the cats on my '06 CVO mufflers like Dartman said above.  However I did not use the core bit, but sharpened the end of a 18" long, 1.5" diameter metal pipe on the bench grinder, and pounded it through the cat with a small sledge hammer for a nice clean core (see picture above, just like that).  If you make the pipe punch I would reccomend drilling two holes near the top of the pipe (across from each other) to insert a long bolt or ratchet extension to form a "T" handle to help twist and pull it out.

Core bit cost: about $45 with shipping on eBay
Homemade pipe punch cost: $0.00!!! (however my kids volleyball net post is about 18" shorter)

The cat material appears to be a type of aluminum so it was pretty soft.

8)

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 10:30:21 AM »

Will your approach for "de-catting" work on the 07 CUSE mufflers?

06 and 07 are exactly the same, I have both

Pumba11

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 10:34:02 AM »

I would make sure that you don't use a real thick or heavy walled pipe.  The one I used was less than 1/8" thick.

electraglideclyde

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • GA

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 02:29:39 PM »

I sent my stock mufflers to Steve at Fullsac Performance.  {www.fullsac.com}. I am very pleased with the workmanship and quality of his work.  The price was $199.00 plus shipping, so it ran about $250.00 total.  The mufflers sound great but not too loud.  I really wanted to keep the look of the 4" pipes on the CUSE and these were the ticket for me. :P  Now I have a slightly used set of 98B's for sale.
Hair of the Dog

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

• CVO1: 2007 B&O FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007, 09:12:59 PM »

If this '07 is like the '06 where you an see the cat element when looking in the inlet.  I don't think it would be a problem.  But I have not done an '07 muffler myself.

Here is what I put in the previous post.

PIPE PUNCH METHOD

I was able to core out the cats on my '06 CVO mufflers like Dartman said above.  However I did not use the core bit, but sharpened the end of a 18" long, 1.5" diameter metal pipe on the bench grinder, and pounded it through the cat with a small sledge hammer for a nice clean core (see picture above, just like that).  If you make the pipe punch I would reccomend drilling two holes near the top of the pipe (across from each other) to insert a long bolt or ratchet extension to form a "T" handle to help twist and pull it out.

Core bit cost: about $45 with shipping on eBay
Homemade pipe punch cost: $0.00!!! (however my kids volleyball net post is about 18" shorter)

The cat material appears to be a type of aluminum so it was pretty soft.

8)
Pumba11,
Thanks much for the reprint.  May have to give this a try.
TCinVA

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 21 queries.