Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cutting Out- Need some tech advice  (Read 1719 times)

CTFXR2

• FXR2
Cutting Out- Need some tech advice
« on: May 16, 2007, 07:07:00 PM »

I bought  a 99 FXR2 with Vanes and Hines straight shots and a high flow air cleaner.  The bike ran great, then I had to put the stock pipe back on to have the bike inspected so that I could register it. Once the registration was completed, I put the straight shots back on. Ever since the switch back to the straight shots, I have a cut out at a quater trottle and the bike seems to want to stall at idle and low RPM speeds. The kicker is that if I run it with the enricher on, it runs like a champ with no stumble at all. I'm thinking that maybe it's the exhaust gasket leaking since that's the only thing that's changed but with my experience in dirt bike carbs, it sure sounds like a jetting issue to me. I've never had the carb off of a V-Twin so I fiqured I'd check with the pro's before I tear into it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. CTFXR2
99 FXR2 Arresting Red
Vance & Hines Straight Shots
Bullet head lamp and turn signal kit
Harley Davidson Logo Derby Cover
Chubby drag bars

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
Re: Cutting Out- Need some tech advice
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 08:25:10 PM »

Sounds like an intake leak to me. While the bike is running spray some carb cleaner at the intake manifold where it meets the heads, also at the fitting from the carb to the mainifold. If the rpm changes you have an intake leak.

CTFXR2

• FXR2
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 12:45:52 AM »

Thanks HD-Dude. I'll try it tomorrow and let you know.
99 FXR2 Arresting Red
Chubby drag bars

CTFXR2

• FXR2
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 10:35:28 PM »

There was no apparent leak in the intake. It ran alittle rough today even with the enricher knob on. What do you think? It seems like the bike is running lean, slow warm up and that flat/ cut out at 1/8th to 1/4 throttle. she idles steady @ around 1000 Rpms with the enricher knob on, after a warm up I turn off the enricher and the idle becomes erratic. Should I adjust the pilot screw or do you think I need to rejet. Is there anyway possible that an exhaust gasket leak would cause these symptoms? I'm tempted to pull the pipes and change the gaskets since that's seems to be the start of my problem. Thanks again for the help.
99 FXR2 Arresting Red
Chubby drag bars

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 12:56:45 AM »

Did you use new gaskets with the new pipes? If not then yes I would definately put new ones in. As far as the cause of the problems exhaust leaks could case some issues but I donm't think they could cause all of what you're describing. The jetting should not need to be changed since you said it was running well before any changes. I would check for a vacuum leak as well. There is a line that connects from the carb to the fuel valve. I assume this is the stock CV type carb?

CTFXR2

• FXR2
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 01:38:12 PM »

I just checked again for an intake leak and it seems you were right on to begin with. Standing on the right side of the bike, it seems that there is a leak from the intake to the left head. I must not of gotten a clean shot at the intake the first time. Now, should I disassemble the intake a put in a new gasket or do you think a spray on sealant would do the trick? One key sign I may have over looked was that poof sound, kind of like a rush of air when I craked the trottle. Thanks again for all your help. 
99 FXR2 Arresting Red
Chubby drag bars

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member

• Metal Dragon
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 08:14:52 PM »

I would never use any sort of spray sealant, replacing the intake gaskets is the best bet.

CTFXR2

• FXR2
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 08:40:47 PM »

Thanks again.
99 FXR2 Arresting Red
Chubby drag bars

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 21 queries.