Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why not Slip-Ons and Why True duals  (Read 1964 times)

Serkcus

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 Candy Cobalt SERK
Why not Slip-Ons and Why True duals
« on: May 28, 2007, 11:29:07 PM »

Have a set of Supertrapp Se's coming for my Serk, also PC III  with elliminators. My main goal is to gain a cooler and better running engine. I am wondering if ther is any real advantage to adding true dual headers , Iam supposing that I can still do this with what will be the current set-up original exhaust piping with the SE Slip-ons.

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
Re: Why not Slip-Ons and Why True duals
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 06:45:55 AM »

Serkus,

I think most of us that go with true duals do so to get rid of the crossover pipe and the associated heat that comes with it. The other advantages are looks, and better flow, which equates to more sound. True duals will be louder with any muffler combo compared to the stock crossover since the left side doesn't flow squat.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 09:52:18 AM »

Hi Serkcus,

Lot's of info on this thread about duals,two into one or factory setup.
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=9490.0

Tomhartzelt

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 08:41:09 PM »

I put V&H true dual pipes with SE mufflers on my 06 RK 95 Stage II.  It sounded deeper with the dual pipes and same mufflers and dealer said it was easier to tune each cylinder seperate.  Difference in running was not noticable but heat under seat was reduced.  I went back to factory crossover and same mufflers so that I had option to use canned map if I wanted.  I had dealer retune with factory pipes and gained 1 hp over true duals.  My experience is that the power difference is insignificant except right off idle with the edge going to the factory pipes.  True duals sounded deeper with same mufflers and was cooler.

Tom
2007 FXDSE
2006 RKC 95 Stage II

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 10:59:39 AM »

I'd like to see someone that's going to tru-duals from factory pipes take a pyrometer and check the rear head temp before and after. I guess with a faring there might be more heat, I have a RK. I don't think the stock pipe is transmitting much heat to the rider. I have talked to a every experienced turner in the past about stock verses true-duals, he said that he doesn't see them as a performance advantage. He said with some tuners it's easier to tune with the duals, but that a good person tuning your bike they can get it correct. He also brought up a good point, look at any real high performance car, other than drag, most have a crossover pipe. If your looking at performance you'd probably go 2-1. Now as for looks, the true-duals look better, this subject has been debated on every V-Twin site I've ever been on, and I don't think it'll ever change!!!!! What ever makes you feel good!

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 11:06:49 AM »

After I do the head gaskets, rocker box clearancing, cams and TB next week, providing my runout is acceptable and I don't need a new engine, I'm going in for extensive tuning. I'm using V&H TD's right now with S&S SPO slip-ons, which I really love. I'm shipping my factory headpipes up to my tuner. He's also getting a set of D&D Fatcats with quiet baffle and falsie. We're going to tune and dyno with all 3 systems. The one that works best will be the one that stays on. I'm hoping there's not much difference between the D&D's and using my SPO's. I'd hate to give up the sound of those SPO's. There's gotta be a major difference for me to swap, but anything is possible. After all this is done, I'll post  my findings. ;) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 11:26:52 AM »

I am having the y-pipe ground on mine instead of true duals by Latus Motors, they claim to get a few hp and a few torque with no dip around 2-2500 that normally comes with the true duals. When you pull a trailer you do not want that dip in that rpm range.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 12:46:35 PM »

Not on yet, but I'm going with V&H classic rounds, stock head pipe, with bungs welded for TMAT.

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

• CVO1: 2007 B&O FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 08:01:35 PM »

After I do the head gaskets, rocker box clearancing, cams and TB next week, providing my runout is acceptable and I don't need a new engine, I'm going in for extensive tuning. I'm using V&H TD's right now with S&S SPO slip-ons, which I really love. I'm shipping my factory headpipes up to my tuner. He's also getting a set of D&D Fatcats with quiet baffle and falsie. We're going to tune and dyno with all 3 systems. The one that works best will be the one that stays on. I'm hoping there's not much difference between the D&D's and using my SPO's. I'd hate to give up the sound of those SPO's. There's gotta be a major difference for me to swap, but anything is possible. After all this is done, I'll post  my findings. ;) Hoist! 8)
Okay Howie, remember if you replace the SPOs, your newest best friend  :) (or at least one of them) "me"  :huepfenlol2:
might be interested in taking them off your hands ;).
Tony 

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 08:33:30 PM »

Okay Howie, remember if you replace the SPOs, your newest best friend  :) (or at least one of them) "me"  :huepfenlol2:
might be interested in taking them off your hands ;).
Tony 

The only possibility of me changing them is eye-opening differences between them and the FatCats! I'm not expecting that, but you never know. I saw what a difference exhaust made on Beagle's bike. That's why I'm curious how these 3 systems compare. But you'l have first crack at them Tony! Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 21 queries.