Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Time to tone her down a little need input..........  (Read 3660 times)

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
Time to tone her down a little need input..........
« on: June 17, 2007, 08:06:12 PM »

I have had Super Trapps on my bike for a while now with the double groove HD End Caps. I don't know if it's them or me but they are becoming too loud. Especially on a hard throttle and even more so on a long highway speed ride. When we got back from a long ride last weekend mine and my wifes ears were ringing for quite some time. So Thursday after work I swapped slip ons with my buddy. He has the old SE style from 2006 with slash down end caps. We rode to dinner that night with out wives and it was a lot more quiet. I really enjoyed the ride. Then on Friday afternoon we swapped our caps back as we were both happy the way the mufflers sounded. My bike was then noticably louder and had more pop again. Weird.

I would like to know what mufflers are being used out there to keep a decent deeper rumble on the 110's without having to wear earplugs on a long ride. I guess I could buy some slash down end caps but wanted to check other opinions first.

Thanks!!

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

• CVO1: 2007 B&O FLHTCUSE2
Re: Time to tone her down a little need input..........
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 08:52:51 PM »

Rob,
Just got off a PM with Hoist - he's got the SPOs.  Saw them when he blew through norther VA several weeks back.  I've tried to hold off and stay with the stock mufflers.  Ordering the SPOs tomorrow.
TC

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 09:09:18 PM »

I did a search for them. Do you have a link? How was the sound? Quiet but throaty? :)

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 09:17:32 PM »

I did a search for them. Do you have a link? How was the sound? Quiet but throaty? :)
Go here - S&S Cycle and click on "Feature" (see pic below) and there will be a link to listen to the SPO's.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 09:31:00 PM »

I really like my S&S SPOs and there are several links discussing them. Here is a link to my first impressions and the discussion trying to describe the sound :

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=10425.0

bc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 05:58:47 AM »

Rob,
Just got off a PM with Hoist - he's got the SPOs.  Saw them when he blew through norther VA several weeks back.  I've tried to hold off and stay with the stock mufflers.  Ordering the SPOs tomorrow.
TC

SPOs? 

bc
'07 FXSTSSE

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 06:44:19 AM »

SPOs? 

bc

Stainless Polished Ovals by S&S Cycle.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 08:05:37 AM »

I have had Super Trapps on my bike for a while now with the double groove HD End Caps. I don't know if it's them or me but they are becoming too loud. Especially on a hard throttle and even more so on a long highway speed ride. When we got back from a long ride last weekend mine and my wifes ears were ringing for quite some time. So Thursday after work I swapped slip ons with my buddy. He has the old SE style from 2006 with slash down end caps. We rode to dinner that night with out wives and it was a lot more quiet. I really enjoyed the ride. Then on Friday afternoon we swapped our caps back as we were both happy the way the mufflers sounded. My bike was then noticably louder and had more pop again. Weird.

I would like to know what mufflers are being used out there to keep a decent deeper rumble on the 110's without having to wear earplugs on a long ride. I guess I could buy some slash down end caps but wanted to check other opinions first.

Thanks!!

Rob,

Been trying to contact Mark @ D&D to get the scoop on the Police Interceptor Slip on's. They advertise 70 db of  sound which is much less than Fatcat with quiet baffle which I would guess around 95 DB, my question is will the P.I kill the performance? Has anyone played with these yet? Will the SPO's handle the Dragon with out getting a polish of their own?? Greg

Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

nixobilly

• Elite CVO Member
  • 07 'CUSE2 B & O ------ 09 BMW R1200GSA
    • TX
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 08:55:53 AM »

Texas103,

I bought the Police interceptors to replace my V&H True Duals.  I sold them 2 weeks later on Ebay because they were just as loud as my V&H out on the highway....

Mark

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 09:38:25 AM »

Long rides usually means soft foam earplugs for me, it muffles the wind noise more than anything, but takes out the harshness of highway speed exhaust noise as well.  You still hear conversation alright and I can hear my earpiece speakers as well.

Around town the exhaust is fine other than hard throttle.

rmarion

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 01:13:11 PM »

Rob, I still have my 07 SE II slip ons for sale. If you'd like to try them out, I'll ship them to ya. Your cost tho. I'm looking for $200 + shipping. With Slash cuts.

Rick
2006 FLHTCUSE - Candy/Black
SERT
SEAC
Branch Head Work
BP 595 cam gear drive
2:1 RB Racing Black Hole
Hawgwired Speakers & Amps
Rock & Roll Paint
Danny Grey Seat

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 01:25:36 PM »

There ain't no better sounding Dresser mufflers than S&S SPO's!!! They're quiet at cruising speeds, but bark just right when you get on them. And they have this mean stroker growl when you backoff of the throttle at speed, and between shifts. After the cams, I'm testing these against D&D Fatcats with quiet baffle. The D&D's have to really kill the SPO performance for me to give these up. I definitely give them the Hoist seal of approval! :2vrolijk_21: Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 06:04:39 PM »

There ain't no better sounding Dresser mufflers than S&S SPO's!!! They're quiet at cruising speeds, but bark just right when you get on them. And they have this mean stroker growl when you backoff of the throttle at speed, and between shifts. After the cams, I'm testing these against D&D Fatcats with quiet baffle. The D&D's have to really kill the SPO performance for me to give these up. I definitely give them the Hoist seal of approval! :2vrolijk_21: Hoist! 8)
Howie,
Took the plunge on the SPOs yesterday from M&M.  Should be here early next week so I can get them installed before we head north.  Recall you had a "clearancing" issue when installing, but haven't taken the time to find the post.  Could you give me a quick run-down so I'll know what to expect?
Thanks in advance,
Tony

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 07:24:45 PM »

Howie,
Took the plunge on the SPOs yesterday from M&M.  Should be here early next week so I can get them installed before we head north.  Recall you had a "clearancing" issue when installing, but haven't taken the time to find the post.  Could you give me a quick run-down so I'll know what to expect?
Thanks in advance,
Tony

Hey Tony, I had the issue with the combo of the V&H headpipes and the SPO's. The inside of the muffler had to get ground down a little to fit over the pipe. I think it was the muffler welds, but don't quite remember. Not sure on use with the stock headpipes. I'm convinced, after talking to the Tuner, that I'll be using the SPO's with the stock headpipies and dumping the TD's. He says the stock setup performs significantly better than 1-3/4" TD's. He also raved about the Fatcats. It'll be real interesting to see what exhaust winds up on this bike! ::) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 07:35:57 PM »

Thanks, Howie.  I went with the V&H TDs as well and plan to stay with them since I truly appreciate the reduced temperature on my right thigh.  I finally found the thread and it sounds like there's a chance there may be a bit of a weld issue inside the muffler throat.  Not a problem, have rasp, will file  ;).  Good luck on the mods.
Tony

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2007, 09:48:28 PM »

I too am considering the SPO's.  I have a '06 SE Ultra.  Currently running V&H TD's and Ovals, with Ness Big Sucker and PC III.  I know there is talk about the SPO's being better with the stock head pipes but I want to retain the TD's.  I like the looks and less heat on my right thigh.  I've also had the "pleasure" of re-installing the stock head pipes and would rather not have to do that again.

I was wondering if anyone is running a 103" with the V&H TD's that has a good PC map for this setup with the SPO's? 

Thanks, guys!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 08:35:13 PM by DakotaZeb »

hwyfever

• Full CVO Member
  • Stopped Living Vicariously

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2007, 06:58:23 PM »

I agree with Hoist, and many who have tried them, the SPO's might be the best sounding performance mufflers that I've installed on my SEEG.  The explanations given here and in other threads of how they sound have been pretty spot-on to my experience...

Compared to the Reinharts that I replaced, the SPOs have a more "muffled" note.  They have a deeper or lower toned sound. It will take a while to get accustomed to the look - at first they are huge and hideous...  Compared, you will lose a bit of the top end (Seat of Pants Dyno) having noticed that I must downshift more often when climbing a grade or passing then with the Reinharts. 

In the end, although I love the performance and sound of the Reinharts, I think the sound of the SPOs is what I prefer on a tour bike.  So I guess I am saying that I'm willing to give up a little on the top end to have a bit of quiet for the long haul. 

But how much more quiet?  I thought to conduct a non-scientific test...

Using a db meter, with samples taken at chest height behind the windshield and fairing, the SPOs reduced the sound output on average of 10 db throughout the RPM range from idle to 3500 RPM when compared to the Reinharts.  The db range for the SPOs was 70 db @ idle to as much as 110 db @ 3,500,   The Reinharts started at 80 db at idle and peaked at 120+ db at 3,500.  wait for it...  your results may vary  ::) 

Other issues:

I think it was Ironhourse who scraped his SPO's on certain turns.  I wonder if he is using the stock head pipes???  I've not scraped my SPOs and I have had them at some pretty extreme lean angles.  Might be the V&H TDs I used help with clearance issues. The V&H TD kick up a bit on the right side and may be tucked up a bit more on the left.  I'm not sure if this is it, but I have not encountered any scraping of the SPO and a riding buddy says he believes my floorboards come closer to touching than the SPOs... 

All in all, it is personal tastes and riding style that determine what works best for each rider.  I've tested my share of exhaust and the SPO's work for me... well for today    :'(
HD Hyd Cam Plate Conversion, Zippers Red Shift 575, SE Adjustable Push Rods
SE Race Tuner, Zippers Highflow Air Cleaner, S&S True Duals, Bub Stealth 7,
Progressive Monotube Cartridge Forks, Progressive 940 shocks

What I fear most when I die is my wife selling my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2007, 07:13:15 PM »

Rob, I still have my 07 SE II slip ons for sale. If you'd like to try them out, I'll ship them to ya. Your cost tho. I'm looking for $200 + shipping. With Slash cuts.

Rick

Rick,

Thanks very much for the offer but thats pretty much what I have on it now. Hell of a deal though as the slash cut end caps run $130.00 for a pair.

Rob

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2007, 08:58:05 PM »

Guys,

I've had the SPOs and the D&D Police Interceptors, both running off True Duals. Before that I was running the FullSac mufflers. I found that the TDs make them ALL louder, and that the SPOs were louder than the Police Interceptors. Because of the funky shape, the SPOs also dragged on corners, so that was the main reason I sold them. The "guts" of the Police Interceptors look amazingly like the guts of the FullSac, albeit a tad narrower. Thus the overall diameter is narrower giving them lots of ground clearance. For now, the Police Interceptors are as loud as I care to go. If I can find something that is a straight through free-flowing muffler that is quieter, I'll for those. I will keep the FullSacs for now, because the outsides are OEM, and have the OEM stamping and stuff. That "may" come in handy if "the man" starts checking pipes, LOL!!!

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Serkcus

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 Candy Cobalt SERK
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2007, 11:26:32 PM »

I also installed the Supertrapp SE's on my 07 Serk. Way too loud! Bike was riden to t5he dealer to look at rocker clearance issues and while there I was talking to the owner, who loves louder pipes on his bikes about the volume of noise from these pipes. He disapeared and returned with two different end caps. I trmoved my straight grooved caps and tried the turn down,which actually reduced the sound level to the rider significantly.The slash down reduced sound lvel to about half as much as the turndowns. he best for sound wasith the fishtails  :'(  noo way they were going to stay on there. ;D

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2007, 09:25:00 AM »

I also installed the Supertrapp SE's on my 07 Serk. Way too loud! Bike was riden to t5he dealer to look at rocker clearance issues and while there I was talking to the owner, who loves louder pipes on his bikes about the volume of noise from these pipes. He disapeared and returned with two different end caps. I trmoved my straight grooved caps and tried the turn down,which actually reduced the sound level to the rider significantly.The slash down reduced sound lvel to about half as much as the turndowns. he best for sound wasith the fishtails  :'(  noo way they were going to stay on there. ;D

Thats EXACTLY what I found. I wasn't sure but I went ahead and bought a pair of slash down end caps and replaced the others and BAM! Way more quiet! I always thought the double groove straight end caps made a different sound but never thought it would change the volume at all let alone that much. My friend I swapped pipes with said he noticed the same change on his as well when he finally got his slash caps back on. These are the ones I took off:

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2007, 01:20:55 PM »

And the billet slash downs...........................

Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 21 queries.