Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: 08 throttle body's  (Read 3505 times)

hogasm

08 throttle body's
« on: July 03, 2007, 06:47:30 PM »

Just heard that the 08's will go back to the M & M's with fly by wire.

Anyone else heard this?

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Re: 08 throttle body's
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 07:29:53 PM »

Just heard that the 08's will go back to the M & M's with fly by wire.

Anyone else heard this?

Pardon my ignorance, but what does "fly by wire" mean?
I am assuming the "M&M" means dual runner like the Magnetti-Marelli TBs.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 07:37:52 PM »

Fly-by-wire means no direct mechanical link between the throttle grip and the throttle body.  Throttle actuation is done electrically. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Shovelhead Bob

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 08:16:37 PM »

Doubtful about the "Fly By Wire" set-up... Housings are already cramped without adding a rheostat sensor, let alone an actuator on the TB unit.... Guess we will find out in a week or so when the 08's are released....

As far as the Magnetti Marelli induction module units, that is what is on your bike right now.... Harley never left them, they only changed the ECM to a Delphi.... The single plenum runner is a good all around performer, but the Dual Plenum is great for High Performance applications...

StreetDog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE RED STREET GLIDE
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHXSE SPICED RUM
    • CVO3: 2007 FLHRSE3 RAZOR RED
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 11:26:24 PM »

The " Fly by Wire" will happen.....enjoy.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 12:53:15 AM »

So what is the advantage of a fly by wire system? I would think that fewer things can go wrong with cables.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 08:47:40 AM »

So what is the advantage of a fly by wire system? I would think that fewer things can go wrong with cables.

Not sure how H-D plans to implement this "drive-by-wire" system, but in the automotive arena it allows the ECM to make "corrections" to driver input.  The signal from the throttle pedal / grip goes to the ECM, then the ECM controls the servo motor that actually moves the throttle plate. This can be used to improve emissions performance, perceived driveability, etc.  It also makes implementation of things like cruise control and electronic stability control much simpler and less expensive. 

Jerry
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 04:33:15 PM by grc »

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

skippy

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 09:10:18 AM »

Yes I have also heard of the fly by wire on the 08s

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 09:58:25 AM »

I'm sure it will be well built, but in my small mind it could be another electrical thing that will crap out and leave you stranded by the side of the road. I guess one of the benefits for the MoCo is that their are getting so complicated, that replacment ECMs like Zippers, S&S, and DTT will have to once again re-tool and "crack the code" just to keep up. I can also see how going back to the dual runner will allow more precise tuning of each cylinder if they build it and do it right. I wish they would build a better and longer lasting stator.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 10:01:24 AM »

They can't seem to get their electronics right as it is! That's one MoCo electronic gadget I can do without! ;) Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

dmnrdn

• Avoid the 8P's
  • Full CVO Member
    • KS
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2007, 01:53:00 PM »

They can't seem to get their electronics right as it is! That's one MoCo electronic gadget I can do without! ;) Hoist! 8)

AMEN

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2007, 03:42:10 PM »

It is kind of like integrated or linked brakes, big brother knows what's best.  Chit I'll decide which brake to apply and I want to be in control of my throttle not some damn microchip.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Rhino

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2007, 06:41:30 PM »

I remember the fly by wire when it first came out on the Airbus.  I also remember when that Airbus crashed into trees at an airshow becasue the computer would not take the pilots commands from the yoke.   Well, they did ultimately perfect it, by adding more computers and redundancy.  And I also have a car with fly by wire.  Yes, when I want to honk on it, it is restricted if the road is slick, or it senses a skid. Yup, just what I wanted on a motorcycle. Lookout!!

Rhino

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2007, 01:14:31 AM »

I remember the fly by wire when it first came out on the Airbus.  I also remember when that Airbus crashed into trees at an airshow becasue the computer would not take the pilots commands from the yoke.   Well, they did ultimately perfect it, by adding more computers and redundancy.  And I also have a car with fly by wire.  Yes, when I want to honk on it, it is restricted if the road is slick, or it senses a skid. Yup, just what I wanted on a motorcycle. Lookout!!

Rhino

I remember reading about the AirBus crashes. I always thought it was operator error, not the ECM failing to take the pilots input. I can see how that could become a real pain. It's the dumbing down of motorcycling. They don't trust the rider to do anything except pick the color of the bike.

hogasm

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2007, 01:40:10 PM »

My 97 E-350 Ford van with a 7.3l diesel has fly by wire. Remember everyone saying that it will never work. After 516,000 miles it still works fine.
It will be hard to believe that as slow as Harley is on new things that they would have traction control attached to their computer.

Mercury Marine, on their Verado 4 stroke outboard motors have fly by wire. It is the smoothest throttle control in the marine industry. Mercury's computer is a very simple one. Reminds me of the original ford and chevy computers from the late 80's and early 90's.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2007, 02:34:23 PM »

hogasm,

If I remember correctly, drive-by-wire (throttle control) has been around on cars since the very late '80's.  I think BMW had it first, back in '88 or '89.  Initially there was no financial benefit, so it only showed up on more expensive vehicles where the cost could be buried more easily.  As computers and electronics became smaller, less expensive, and more reliable, these types of controls became available on a broader selection of vehicles.  Now we have drive-by-wire braking and steering, in addition to throttle control.  One of the vehicles my employer produces even has the ability to sense an impending collision, reduce throttle, and even apply the brakes with no input from the driver.  

My issue with all of this on a Harley is twofold.  1.) I enjoy riding bikes because the experience is direct and immediate, unlike the typical modern automobile which has had all the fun (and skill requirements) removed.  I know how to apply throttle properly depending on conditions (let's see, how about WOT immediately after starting the bike, or during a rainstorm - duh!), as well as proper braking technique, and would prefer to handle those things myself.  2.) My experience with H-D indicates that they cannot be trusted to properly implement new (to them only, old hat to the rest of the world) technology without screwing it up.  Their p-poor EFI implementation damn near got me killed shortly after buying my SEEG; I'm quite sure I don't want to give them another shot at me using drive-by-wire.

Jerry

Rhino

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2007, 04:39:08 PM »

So I heard not only will some models have the fly by wire, but all of them will have a new, totally different non interchangable ECM too.
Rhino

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2007, 06:10:34 PM »

So I heard not only will some models have the fly by wire, but all of them will have a new, totally different non interchangable ECM too.
Rhino

And so it continues.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2007, 08:54:44 PM »

Rhino

The two go together, drive-by-wire requires either a separate electronic controller or a new ECM to process the input from the throttle grip sensor and whatever other sensors they wish to monitor such as temp, and then provide an output signal to the throttle actuator.  A new ECM would be the less expensive and most logical solution.  Non-interchangeable is something I'll have to see personally to believe, since I've never seen anything yet that can't be replicated or defeated by the aftermarket.  For instance, the ECM's on the '05's were supposed to set codes if you added a tuning device like a TFI or PC.  It took those folks no time at all to come up with "stealth" models of their equipment so the ECM wouldn't be able to detect them. 

Jerry

theslash

• Full CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHXSE
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2007, 11:05:12 PM »

makes my 06 ucse worth more money
after the problems start.   :mango:
SLASH

hogasm

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2007, 08:45:57 AM »

hogasm,

If I remember correctly, drive-by-wire (throttle control) has been around on cars since the very late '80's.  I think BMW had it first, back in '88 or '89.  Initially there was no financial benefit, so it only showed up on more expensive vehicles where the cost could be buried more easily.  As computers and electronics became smaller, less expensive, and more reliable, these types of controls became available on a broader selection of vehicles.  Now we have drive-by-wire braking and steering, in addition to throttle control.  One of the vehicles my employer produces even has the ability to sense an impending collision, reduce throttle, and even apply the brakes with no input from the driver. 

My issue with all of this on a Harley is twofold.  1.) I enjoy riding bikes because the experience is direct and immediate, unlike the typical modern automobile which has had all the fun (and skill requirements) removed.  I know how to apply throttle properly depending on conditions (let's see, how about WOT immediately after starting the bike, or during a rainstorm - duh!), as well as proper braking technique, and would prefer to handle those things myself.  2.) My experience with H-D indicates that they cannot be trusted to properly implement new (to them only, old hat to the rest of the world) technology without screwing it up.  Their p-poor EFI implementation damn near got me killed shortly after buying my SEEG; I'm quite sure I don't want to give them another shot at me using drive-by-wire.

Jerry

I wonder if this is Harley's way of meeting EPA standards for 2008 or a way of keeping the aftermarket guys out of the picture for awhile?

It scares me that the ECM would have more control of my scoot than I would. If it would have the control like the vehicle that you mentioned then when the ECM takes control then you are left helpless as to what avasive action you can do in any situation.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.185 seconds with 21 queries.