Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: 2008 110" Fixed?  (Read 6010 times)

rhallman

• FLHRSEI.ORG
2008 110" Fixed?
« on: July 17, 2007, 01:56:09 AM »

Before I put down a deposit on a 2008 CVO Road King.....Has anyone confirmed if the MOCO has fixed the issues being reported with the 2007 110" engine? 

No issues with my 2005 CVO Fatboy 103".  Lotsa Freedom Cycle upgrades and still running strong...

Thanks...
Rich

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
Re: 2008 110" Fixed?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 12:32:43 PM »

Before I put down a deposit on a 2008 CVO Road King.....Has anyone confirmed if the MOCO has fixed the issues being reported with the 2007 110" engine? 

No issues with my 2005 CVO Fatboy 103".  Lotsa Freedom Cycle upgrades and still running strong...

Thanks...
Rich

Ya right!!!

TimBone

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 12:51:47 PM »

I'd wait a couple more years til the 110 bugs are worked out.

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • pnw_cvfltrse_dom_c38_sws_w1024
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 01:13:38 PM »

All of us that purchased the 110" CVO's , are the unpaid Research & Development team of Harley Davidson. We are given the ability to purchase the product, report all that is wrong with the product, go without utilization of the product while it's being corrected and or repaired, yet still reqired to make the payments on the product while it's being held hostage by the Motor Company and it's representatives. IMHO when the Motor Company has worked out the vast majority of the 110" problems it will be time to create a bigger motor to enable us to repeat the cycle once again.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 01:14:06 PM »

I plan on having the bugs worked out by next week! ::) Don't count on the MoCo for this. They're great bikes, but need personal attention. Once you take care of the essentials, you should be fine. Anything HD makes inferior, can be corrected for proper performance an reliability. Been doing this chit for years. There's never been a Harley out of the box that you don't have to/want to mess with! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

redtwin

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: FXR-4
    • CVO2: FXSTSSE
    • CVO3: 2010 ROADDGLIDE
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 04:27:04 PM »

I plan on having the bugs worked out by next week! ::) Don't count on the MoCo for this. They're great bikes, but need personal attention. Once you take care of the essentials, you should be fine. Anything HD makes inferior, can be corrected for proper performance an reliability. Been doing this chit for years. There's never been a Harley out of the box that you don't have to/want to mess with! ;)

Hoist! 8)
THATS TRUE

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 05:26:28 PM »

Hoist! 8)

Very true, and a damn sad commentary on both the MoCo and those of us who let them suck us in.  Maybe if we had all gone elsewhere for a while, the loss of $$$ would have gotten their attention.:confused5: As long as the record profits kept rolling in, however, they had no incentive to do the right thing.

Not picking on you Howie, but if I spend top dollar on a manufacturers product, I do not consider it normal or acceptable to have to spend another large pile of cash to make that product perform properly and not leave me stranded on the side of the road.  Spending money on upgrades or custom touches is one thing, but spending my money to fix their defects and p-poor engineering is not acceptable. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 06:35:07 PM »

Very true, and a damn sad commentary on both the MoCo and those of us who let them suck us in.  Maybe if we had all gone elsewhere for a while, the loss of $$$ would have gotten their attention.:confused5: As long as the record profits kept rolling in, however, they had no incentive to do the right thing.

Not picking on you Howie, but if I spend top dollar on a manufacturers product, I do not consider it normal or acceptable to have to spend another large pile of cash to make that product perform properly and not leave me stranded on the side of the road.  Spending money on upgrades or custom touches is one thing, but spending my money to fix their defects and p-poor engineering is not acceptable. 

Jerry

I fully agree Jerry. But you said it yourself. It hasn't slowed us down buying them, and they still earn record profits. And we do it knowing what we're getting into. We can than spend our time fighting with them to get the same crappy stuff they put on the bikes to work, or we can replace whatever we need to to get the bike performing safely and reliably and run like a mutha! It's all our choice. If you choose to own one, you're better off understanding what you're getting into, vs. finding out and spending your time fighting and bitching about it! ;)

Sounds like you're about to change your signature to 40,50,10, huh Jerry! ;D

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 09:27:11 PM »

All of us that purchased the 110" CVO's , are the unpaid Research & Development team of Harley Davidson. We are given the ability to purchase the product, report all that is wrong with the product, go without utilization of the product while it's being corrected and or repaired, yet still reqired to make the payments on the product while it's being held hostage by the Motor Company and it's representatives. IMHO when the Motor Company has worked out the vast majority of the 110" problems it will be time to create a bigger motor to enable us to repeat the cycle once again.

:soapbox: .

evilroadking

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 12:48:51 AM »

Don't count me in on being a  MoCO "sucker' any longer. Once my new motor is in, im selling that pig..  in fact it's alredy sold. You guys dumpin foolish money fixen harley's problems are 'fools' Sorry but i had to say it but it's true. Bottom line, harely is at the end of it's rope with air cooled engines.

You all would be very surprised what used Ultras (and i meant just a few years old) are going for.. Like Hoist would say 'chit' there a dime a dozen. I learned just a few days ago. I picked up a damn good deal on an 2005 Ultra, Like newm low miles and all the 'chit'. I can afford to put a *real* proven big inch motor in this thing and still be ahead to buy the brembo's, a smoken stereo, a decent GPS and all that other chit too.

Sorry folks, but when you fork out 34+K for a motor cycle, you better get what your paying for and it better be proven dependable. I truly believe the metric folks finally have the upper hand over harley when it comes to dependability and i know some of you are saying 'but, but, but my harley wont depreciate like the metrics'  Well folks, have you checked out the Harely for sale adds lately. Yup,, a dime a dozen, just like the metrics..

AND WE BOUGHT A 36K WHAT???? OH CHIT..........

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 01:04:21 AM »

Don't count me in on being a  MoCO "sucker' any longer. Once my new motor is in, im selling that pig..  in fact it's alredy sold. You guys dumpin foolish money fixen harley's problems are 'fools' Sorry but i had to say it but it's true. Bottom line, harely is at the end of it's rope with air cooled engines.

You all would be very surprised what used Ultras (and i meant just a few years old) are going for.. Like Hoist would say 'chit' there a dime a dozen. I learned just a few days ago. I picked up a damn good deal on an 2005 Ultra, Like newm low miles and all the 'chit'. I can afford to put a *real* proven big inch motor in this thing and still be ahead to buy the brembo's, a smoken stereo, a decent GPS and all that other chit too.

Sorry folks, but when you fork out 34+K for a motor cycle, you better get what your paying for and it better be proven dependable. I truly believe the metric folks finally have the upper hand over harley when it comes to dependability and i know some of you are saying 'but, but, but my harley wont depreciate like the metrics'  Well folks, have you checked out the Harely for sale adds lately. Yup,, a dime a dozen, just like the metrics..

AND WE BOUGHT A 36K WHAT???? OH CHIT..........

Then make it a $50K, Wow, look at that, a reliable awesome bike. If that's too much $$$, buy a regular one, and fix that up. But for some it's not an investment. Buy stocks or mutual funds for that. To some, it's more than just a brand. If it's part of your life/lifestyle, and you if love it that much, you deal with the chit. You get used to it. You don't have to be happy about it, but you deal with it. You learn all about it and find ways to make it better, not just fix it. If it's just a bike that you expect perfection from because you spent $34K on it, and don't have the passion, it might be the wrong model or brand for you. I'm by no means trying to justify the MoCo's crappy track record over the years. I'm one of their harshest critics. But it's in my blood and wouldn't want it any other way! ;) Hoist! 8)

evilroadking

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 01:23:24 AM »

Hoist,

Exactly why i dumped that 2007 boat ancor. I love harleys, and love to ride em. But based on a few known facts, i dont want to deal with the newer models. Folks will understand what im talken about in due course. Just remember one coment i made, "Harley is at the end of their rope with air cooled motors". In the mean time, i've decided to dumb the 07 piece of chit, because it is not dependable. I hate breakin down a few hundered miles away form home and then deal with getting the damn thing back to a specic dealer because i did some pissy mods that the MocO used to twist our arms to do so.
There are a few known facts that's floating around the HD tech shops with these 07 motors and a few of you (and some of your are the king wrenches) have talked about these specic issues. Hoist, I simply dont want to deal with it, i want to ride from Point A, to Point B etc.. and get back to Point Z with a dependable harely, one thats got the HP and torque curves i want, and one i simply dont need to wory about..
Like you, Im going to continue doing what i like doing, I love riding, and i love Harley's. Why else did i go backwards and buy a 2005??? I wanted somthing dependable and simple...
Hope to see you on the road Hoist,,

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 01:28:20 AM »

Hoist,

Exactly why i dumped that 2007 boat ancor. I love harleys, and love to ride em. But based on a few known facts, i dont want to deal with the newer models. Folks will understand what im talken about in due course. Just remember one coment i made, "Harley is at the end of their rope with air cooled motors". In the mean time, i've decided to dumb the 07 piece of chit, because it is not dependable. I hate breakin down a few hundered miles away form home and then deal with getting the damn thing back to a specic dealer because i did some pissy mods that the MocO used to twist our arms to do so.
There are a few known facts that's floating around the HD tech shops with these 07 motors and a few of you (and some of your are the king wrenches) have talked about these specic issues. Hoist, I simply dont want to deal with it, i want to ride from Point A, to Point B etc.. and get back to Point Z with a dependable harely, one thats got the HP and torque curves i want, and one i simply dont need to wory about..
Like you, Im going to continue doing what i like doing, I love riding, and i love Harley's. Why else did i go backwards and buy a 2005??? I wanted somthing dependable and simple...
Hope to see you on the road Hoist,,

I'm sorry things didn't work out for you erk. :( I hope you find a bike that suits you, and I'll see you on the road too sometime! Good luck erk! Hoist! 8)

LabRat

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 SECU Copper Canyon
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 07:32:46 AM »

:-\ OK, been a lurker for a few weeks, trying to learn as much as  possible before making a decision on an '08 CVO Ultra and I have to admit, some of the threads have me worried that it might not be the right choice. I'm coming from the metric world, love my water cooled engine, but my cruiser just doesn't do what I want, so the only tourer that I really like are the Ultras. I love the CVOs, granted liked the 07's better than the '08 colors, but since I want new, it has to be an '08.

But with all the trouble some people are having with the 110" motor, I'm beginning to thing that I'd be better off with a 96" on the standard Ultras.

So what's the deal? Are there just some squeaky wheels out there making noise? Did Evilroadking get a lemon or is he part of a bigger problem?

Thanks,
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 07:51:02 AM by LabRat »

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 08:11:47 AM »

Labrat,

If I were looking in as a lurker this is what comes to mind to me of the issues people with the 110's are seeing.

Quite a few people had head leaks due to 1 of 2 reasons.

1.  Harley put out a bad head gasket and later once the bikes were delivered figured this out and came out with a much better gasket.

2.  Harley had a run of a few bad cylinder heads and has  been making good on them.  Although some have been slower than othters, and a thread here shows this issue for one guy screaminegul07, evilroadking, and mofo110 come to mind could be the wrong people, but I think they are the ones.

Harley did not clearance the rocker boxes well enough from the factory on many of the 110 CVO bikes.  Of the bikes making noise from the rockerbox the vast majority of them have been made it right by the dealers/Moco with a little aggravation and complaining. 

Crank run out.    There have been a few of these around, where harley did not want you and I to go into the motor, for whatever the MoCo's Reason.   If you look at totals produced this is a small minority, you have to remember that with a site like this you will hear more,  because of the type of draw this site brings.   110's were only put in the CVO's and here you have a gathering of the cvo's.

Heat issues.    Resolved easily with some new pipes / open air cleaner and a GOOD TUNE.

Honestly while the issues have been annoying my bike runs good and yes I had to have new rings put in, I had to have new head gaskets twice, and I had the rocker boxes clearanced at the same time.   Since the replacement of the 2nd head gaskets (the new ones) I have not had an issue and my bike runs really well.

Observation,
While I am not proponent for the fire-wire throttle nor the abs brakes i would suggest to you to get a later model run of the 07's there are still quite a few around if you go and look.   The only saving attribute that I really liked about the 08's is the full tourpak.   I was one of the lucky ones to buy the Anniversay 100 edition.  Wow special, right up until harley over produced it after they said limited numbers.   Chromed out the first one in Orlando, hopped up the motor before it ever left the dealership and then there were bazillions of them everywhere.   While it was mine and while I outfitted it to suit me, It just wasn't really unique.

Good luck with whatever you decide on Labrat.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 08:17:49 AM by Unbalanced »
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 21 queries.