Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: 2008 110" Fixed?  (Read 6008 times)

rhallman

• FLHRSEI.ORG
2008 110" Fixed?
« on: July 17, 2007, 01:56:09 AM »

Before I put down a deposit on a 2008 CVO Road King.....Has anyone confirmed if the MOCO has fixed the issues being reported with the 2007 110" engine? 

No issues with my 2005 CVO Fatboy 103".  Lotsa Freedom Cycle upgrades and still running strong...

Thanks...
Rich

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
Re: 2008 110" Fixed?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 12:32:43 PM »

Before I put down a deposit on a 2008 CVO Road King.....Has anyone confirmed if the MOCO has fixed the issues being reported with the 2007 110" engine? 

No issues with my 2005 CVO Fatboy 103".  Lotsa Freedom Cycle upgrades and still running strong...

Thanks...
Rich

Ya right!!!

TimBone

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 12:51:47 PM »

I'd wait a couple more years til the 110 bugs are worked out.

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • pnw_cvfltrse_dom_c38_sws_w1024
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 01:13:38 PM »

All of us that purchased the 110" CVO's , are the unpaid Research & Development team of Harley Davidson. We are given the ability to purchase the product, report all that is wrong with the product, go without utilization of the product while it's being corrected and or repaired, yet still reqired to make the payments on the product while it's being held hostage by the Motor Company and it's representatives. IMHO when the Motor Company has worked out the vast majority of the 110" problems it will be time to create a bigger motor to enable us to repeat the cycle once again.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 01:14:06 PM »

I plan on having the bugs worked out by next week! ::) Don't count on the MoCo for this. They're great bikes, but need personal attention. Once you take care of the essentials, you should be fine. Anything HD makes inferior, can be corrected for proper performance an reliability. Been doing this chit for years. There's never been a Harley out of the box that you don't have to/want to mess with! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

redtwin

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: FXR-4
    • CVO2: FXSTSSE
    • CVO3: 2010 ROADDGLIDE
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 04:27:04 PM »

I plan on having the bugs worked out by next week! ::) Don't count on the MoCo for this. They're great bikes, but need personal attention. Once you take care of the essentials, you should be fine. Anything HD makes inferior, can be corrected for proper performance an reliability. Been doing this chit for years. There's never been a Harley out of the box that you don't have to/want to mess with! ;)

Hoist! 8)
THATS TRUE

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 05:26:28 PM »

Hoist! 8)

Very true, and a damn sad commentary on both the MoCo and those of us who let them suck us in.  Maybe if we had all gone elsewhere for a while, the loss of $$$ would have gotten their attention.:confused5: As long as the record profits kept rolling in, however, they had no incentive to do the right thing.

Not picking on you Howie, but if I spend top dollar on a manufacturers product, I do not consider it normal or acceptable to have to spend another large pile of cash to make that product perform properly and not leave me stranded on the side of the road.  Spending money on upgrades or custom touches is one thing, but spending my money to fix their defects and p-poor engineering is not acceptable. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 06:35:07 PM »

Very true, and a damn sad commentary on both the MoCo and those of us who let them suck us in.  Maybe if we had all gone elsewhere for a while, the loss of $$$ would have gotten their attention.:confused5: As long as the record profits kept rolling in, however, they had no incentive to do the right thing.

Not picking on you Howie, but if I spend top dollar on a manufacturers product, I do not consider it normal or acceptable to have to spend another large pile of cash to make that product perform properly and not leave me stranded on the side of the road.  Spending money on upgrades or custom touches is one thing, but spending my money to fix their defects and p-poor engineering is not acceptable. 

Jerry

I fully agree Jerry. But you said it yourself. It hasn't slowed us down buying them, and they still earn record profits. And we do it knowing what we're getting into. We can than spend our time fighting with them to get the same crappy stuff they put on the bikes to work, or we can replace whatever we need to to get the bike performing safely and reliably and run like a mutha! It's all our choice. If you choose to own one, you're better off understanding what you're getting into, vs. finding out and spending your time fighting and bitching about it! ;)

Sounds like you're about to change your signature to 40,50,10, huh Jerry! ;D

Hoist! 8)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 09:27:11 PM »

All of us that purchased the 110" CVO's , are the unpaid Research & Development team of Harley Davidson. We are given the ability to purchase the product, report all that is wrong with the product, go without utilization of the product while it's being corrected and or repaired, yet still reqired to make the payments on the product while it's being held hostage by the Motor Company and it's representatives. IMHO when the Motor Company has worked out the vast majority of the 110" problems it will be time to create a bigger motor to enable us to repeat the cycle once again.

:soapbox: .

evilroadking

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 12:48:51 AM »

Don't count me in on being a  MoCO "sucker' any longer. Once my new motor is in, im selling that pig..  in fact it's alredy sold. You guys dumpin foolish money fixen harley's problems are 'fools' Sorry but i had to say it but it's true. Bottom line, harely is at the end of it's rope with air cooled engines.

You all would be very surprised what used Ultras (and i meant just a few years old) are going for.. Like Hoist would say 'chit' there a dime a dozen. I learned just a few days ago. I picked up a damn good deal on an 2005 Ultra, Like newm low miles and all the 'chit'. I can afford to put a *real* proven big inch motor in this thing and still be ahead to buy the brembo's, a smoken stereo, a decent GPS and all that other chit too.

Sorry folks, but when you fork out 34+K for a motor cycle, you better get what your paying for and it better be proven dependable. I truly believe the metric folks finally have the upper hand over harley when it comes to dependability and i know some of you are saying 'but, but, but my harley wont depreciate like the metrics'  Well folks, have you checked out the Harely for sale adds lately. Yup,, a dime a dozen, just like the metrics..

AND WE BOUGHT A 36K WHAT???? OH CHIT..........

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 01:04:21 AM »

Don't count me in on being a  MoCO "sucker' any longer. Once my new motor is in, im selling that pig..  in fact it's alredy sold. You guys dumpin foolish money fixen harley's problems are 'fools' Sorry but i had to say it but it's true. Bottom line, harely is at the end of it's rope with air cooled engines.

You all would be very surprised what used Ultras (and i meant just a few years old) are going for.. Like Hoist would say 'chit' there a dime a dozen. I learned just a few days ago. I picked up a damn good deal on an 2005 Ultra, Like newm low miles and all the 'chit'. I can afford to put a *real* proven big inch motor in this thing and still be ahead to buy the brembo's, a smoken stereo, a decent GPS and all that other chit too.

Sorry folks, but when you fork out 34+K for a motor cycle, you better get what your paying for and it better be proven dependable. I truly believe the metric folks finally have the upper hand over harley when it comes to dependability and i know some of you are saying 'but, but, but my harley wont depreciate like the metrics'  Well folks, have you checked out the Harely for sale adds lately. Yup,, a dime a dozen, just like the metrics..

AND WE BOUGHT A 36K WHAT???? OH CHIT..........

Then make it a $50K, Wow, look at that, a reliable awesome bike. If that's too much $$$, buy a regular one, and fix that up. But for some it's not an investment. Buy stocks or mutual funds for that. To some, it's more than just a brand. If it's part of your life/lifestyle, and you if love it that much, you deal with the chit. You get used to it. You don't have to be happy about it, but you deal with it. You learn all about it and find ways to make it better, not just fix it. If it's just a bike that you expect perfection from because you spent $34K on it, and don't have the passion, it might be the wrong model or brand for you. I'm by no means trying to justify the MoCo's crappy track record over the years. I'm one of their harshest critics. But it's in my blood and wouldn't want it any other way! ;) Hoist! 8)

evilroadking

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 01:23:24 AM »

Hoist,

Exactly why i dumped that 2007 boat ancor. I love harleys, and love to ride em. But based on a few known facts, i dont want to deal with the newer models. Folks will understand what im talken about in due course. Just remember one coment i made, "Harley is at the end of their rope with air cooled motors". In the mean time, i've decided to dumb the 07 piece of chit, because it is not dependable. I hate breakin down a few hundered miles away form home and then deal with getting the damn thing back to a specic dealer because i did some pissy mods that the MocO used to twist our arms to do so.
There are a few known facts that's floating around the HD tech shops with these 07 motors and a few of you (and some of your are the king wrenches) have talked about these specic issues. Hoist, I simply dont want to deal with it, i want to ride from Point A, to Point B etc.. and get back to Point Z with a dependable harely, one thats got the HP and torque curves i want, and one i simply dont need to wory about..
Like you, Im going to continue doing what i like doing, I love riding, and i love Harley's. Why else did i go backwards and buy a 2005??? I wanted somthing dependable and simple...
Hope to see you on the road Hoist,,

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 01:28:20 AM »

Hoist,

Exactly why i dumped that 2007 boat ancor. I love harleys, and love to ride em. But based on a few known facts, i dont want to deal with the newer models. Folks will understand what im talken about in due course. Just remember one coment i made, "Harley is at the end of their rope with air cooled motors". In the mean time, i've decided to dumb the 07 piece of chit, because it is not dependable. I hate breakin down a few hundered miles away form home and then deal with getting the damn thing back to a specic dealer because i did some pissy mods that the MocO used to twist our arms to do so.
There are a few known facts that's floating around the HD tech shops with these 07 motors and a few of you (and some of your are the king wrenches) have talked about these specic issues. Hoist, I simply dont want to deal with it, i want to ride from Point A, to Point B etc.. and get back to Point Z with a dependable harely, one thats got the HP and torque curves i want, and one i simply dont need to wory about..
Like you, Im going to continue doing what i like doing, I love riding, and i love Harley's. Why else did i go backwards and buy a 2005??? I wanted somthing dependable and simple...
Hope to see you on the road Hoist,,

I'm sorry things didn't work out for you erk. :( I hope you find a bike that suits you, and I'll see you on the road too sometime! Good luck erk! Hoist! 8)

LabRat

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 SECU Copper Canyon
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 07:32:46 AM »

:-\ OK, been a lurker for a few weeks, trying to learn as much as  possible before making a decision on an '08 CVO Ultra and I have to admit, some of the threads have me worried that it might not be the right choice. I'm coming from the metric world, love my water cooled engine, but my cruiser just doesn't do what I want, so the only tourer that I really like are the Ultras. I love the CVOs, granted liked the 07's better than the '08 colors, but since I want new, it has to be an '08.

But with all the trouble some people are having with the 110" motor, I'm beginning to thing that I'd be better off with a 96" on the standard Ultras.

So what's the deal? Are there just some squeaky wheels out there making noise? Did Evilroadking get a lemon or is he part of a bigger problem?

Thanks,
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 07:51:02 AM by LabRat »

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2007, 08:11:47 AM »

Labrat,

If I were looking in as a lurker this is what comes to mind to me of the issues people with the 110's are seeing.

Quite a few people had head leaks due to 1 of 2 reasons.

1.  Harley put out a bad head gasket and later once the bikes were delivered figured this out and came out with a much better gasket.

2.  Harley had a run of a few bad cylinder heads and has  been making good on them.  Although some have been slower than othters, and a thread here shows this issue for one guy screaminegul07, evilroadking, and mofo110 come to mind could be the wrong people, but I think they are the ones.

Harley did not clearance the rocker boxes well enough from the factory on many of the 110 CVO bikes.  Of the bikes making noise from the rockerbox the vast majority of them have been made it right by the dealers/Moco with a little aggravation and complaining. 

Crank run out.    There have been a few of these around, where harley did not want you and I to go into the motor, for whatever the MoCo's Reason.   If you look at totals produced this is a small minority, you have to remember that with a site like this you will hear more,  because of the type of draw this site brings.   110's were only put in the CVO's and here you have a gathering of the cvo's.

Heat issues.    Resolved easily with some new pipes / open air cleaner and a GOOD TUNE.

Honestly while the issues have been annoying my bike runs good and yes I had to have new rings put in, I had to have new head gaskets twice, and I had the rocker boxes clearanced at the same time.   Since the replacement of the 2nd head gaskets (the new ones) I have not had an issue and my bike runs really well.

Observation,
While I am not proponent for the fire-wire throttle nor the abs brakes i would suggest to you to get a later model run of the 07's there are still quite a few around if you go and look.   The only saving attribute that I really liked about the 08's is the full tourpak.   I was one of the lucky ones to buy the Anniversay 100 edition.  Wow special, right up until harley over produced it after they said limited numbers.   Chromed out the first one in Orlando, hopped up the motor before it ever left the dealership and then there were bazillions of them everywhere.   While it was mine and while I outfitted it to suit me, It just wasn't really unique.

Good luck with whatever you decide on Labrat.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 08:17:49 AM by Unbalanced »
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

mnm327

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2007, 08:34:54 AM »

How is it, that Harley has hit their limits with an air cooled engine at 110ci?  I don't understand the logic you guys are using here?  First of all S&S, over the last few years, has been producing 110 plus engines, haven't seen too many complaints there?  Secondly, Big Dogs are using a 113ci, again, don't see to many complaints from their customers. 

I've owned a few Harleys in my day, and my most recent trade-in (had it for just a little over a year) was an '05 CVO V-rod, which I traded for the '07 CVO Springer.  Now mind you the Vrod was fast, really, really fast, and that was fun!  But even though it looked somewhat like a Harley, and felt somewhat like a Harley, it just wasn't the same.  I don't ever see my self going back to a water cooled engine, unless I'm left with no choice.  I will always prefer having a big V-Twin engine that sounds and looks like a Harley should.  V-rod riders don't take me wrong, the V-rod is an awesome machine and the Orange and Black CVO paint job was on of the best I've seen, but the V-rod just did not feel nor sound like a Harley should.

And as for the MOCO being on their last legs, well, I'm sure there are some "Davidson's" out there that would tell you they've been hearing that for a long, long, long time.  Somewhere in the neighborhood of 105 years, give or take a year of so?

Congratulations Harley Davidson, for make the naysayers wrong for the past 104 no I mean 105 years!

If you can't stand the heat, get off the bike.  I hear Honda's running a stick it to the "Gaijin" promotion.

Ride on, MNM327......

LabRat

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2007, 08:46:02 AM »

Unbalanced,

I'm hoping that some of the issues have been worked out in the later runs and while I was hoping to sit tight on getting her to breath better with new pips and AC. Looks like that might have to come sooner than expected.

The fact that this is the gathering place for CVO owners is exactly why I came here :) No better place to find out information about an upcoming purchase or learn how to mod your ride. Did the same thing before I bought my Suzi Boulevard. I wanted a unique bike, the bat wings finally grew on me and loved the chrome on the CVOs. Oh, yeah, the wife wanted the heated seat. The 110" was really just the icing on the cake. I just want to make sure that I wouldn't be better off just modding a standard ultra with new paint, chrome, etc. I rode an '06 Ultra with the 88" motor and pretty much stock. I had to admit that my Suzi had more umph, so the 110" seemed like the answer.

Thanks for the concise summary of the issues.

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2007, 09:10:03 AM »

Labrat,

If I were looking in as a lurker this is what comes to mind to me of the issues people with the 110's are seeing.

Quite a few people had head leaks due to 1 of 2 reasons.

1.  Harley put out a bad head gasket and later once the bikes were delivered figured this out and came out with a much better gasket.

2.  Harley had a run of a few bad cylinder heads and has  been making good on them.  Although some have been slower than othters, and a thread here shows this issue for one guy screaminegul07, evilroadking, and mofo110 come to mind could be the wrong people, but I think they are the ones.

Harley did not clearance the rocker boxes well enough from the factory on many of the 110 CVO bikes.  Of the bikes making noise from the rockerbox the vast majority of them have been made it right by the dealers/Moco with a little aggravation and complaining. 

Crank run out.    There have been a few of these around, where harley did not want you and I to go into the motor, for whatever the MoCo's Reason.   If you look at totals produced this is a small minority, you have to remember that with a site like this you will hear more,  because of the type of draw this site brings.   110's were only put in the CVO's and here you have a gathering of the cvo's.

Heat issues.    Resolved easily with some new pipes / open air cleaner and a GOOD TUNE.

Honestly while the issues have been annoying my bike runs good and yes I had to have new rings put in, I had to have new head gaskets twice, and I had the rocker boxes clearanced at the same time.   Since the replacement of the 2nd head gaskets (the new ones) I have not had an issue and my bike runs really well.

Observation,
While I am not proponent for the fire-wire throttle nor the abs brakes i would suggest to you to get a later model run of the 07's there are still quite a few around if you go and look.   The only saving attribute that I really liked about the 08's is the full tourpak.   I was one of the lucky ones to buy the Anniversay 100 edition.  Wow special, right up until harley over produced it after they said limited numbers.   Chromed out the first one in Orlando, hopped up the motor before it ever left the dealership and then there were bazillions of them everywhere.   While it was mine and while I outfitted it to suit me, It just wasn't really unique.

Good luck with whatever you decide on Labrat.

Excellent summary.  Puts the issue in proper perspective.  ABS will be debated for a long time but what is your concern about the fly by wire throttle control?
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2007, 09:16:32 AM »

How is it, that Harley has hit their limits with an air cooled engine at 110ci?  I don't understand the logic you guys are using here?  First of all S&S, over the last few years, has been producing 110 plus engines, haven't seen too many complaints there?  Secondly, Big Dogs are using a 113ci, again, don't see to many complaints from their customers. 

I've owned a few Harleys in my day, and my most recent trade-in (had it for just a little over a year) was an '05 CVO V-rod, which I traded for the '07 CVO Springer.  Now mind you the Vrod was fast, really, really fast, and that was fun!  But even though it looked somewhat like a Harley, and felt somewhat like a Harley, it just wasn't the same.  I don't ever see my self going back to a water cooled engine, unless I'm left with no choice.  I will always prefer having a big V-Twin engine that sounds and looks like a Harley should.  V-rod riders don't take me wrong, the V-rod is an awesome machine and the Orange and Black CVO paint job was on of the best I've seen, but the V-rod just did not feel nor sound like a Harley should.

And as for the MOCO being on their last legs, well, I'm sure there are some "Davidson's" out there that would tell you they've been hearing that for a long, long, long time.  Somewhere in the neighborhood of 105 years, give or take a year of so?

Congratulations Harley Davidson, for make the naysayers wrong for the past 104 no I mean 105 years!

If you can't stand the heat, get off the bike.  I hear Honda's running a stick it to the "Gaijin" promotion.

Ride on, MNM327......

The biggest difference between HD and the other engine makers out there can be summed up in 3 letters, EPA. The EPA is forcing HD to lean out their bikes to incredibly lean mixtures in order to meet all the emission criteria. The other engine manyfacturers haven't had to do this, yet. HD is between a rock and something even harder, the Federal Government. We yell about hot motors, but the gov't can shut them down. Guess who wins this one?

evilroadking

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2007, 10:13:00 AM »

Chief,,

You took the words right out of my mouth.. Your right EPA related.

Thanks,,,

evilroadking

« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2007, 10:22:41 AM »

Unbalanced,

You sure hit on a few of the issues Harely is having with the 07's, Glad to see you admit you have encountered a few yourself. I think the gentleman inquireing on the 07, and 08's was more interested in dependabiltiy, and you answred him well. Keep up the good work.

Also, yoiu may want to do a little homework on the crank issue,, bigger problem then you think.

Best Regards to Ya,

Evil

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2007, 10:30:04 AM »

Unbalanced,

I'm hoping that some of the issues have been worked out in the later runs and while I was hoping to sit tight on getting her to breath better with new pips and AC. Looks like that might have to come sooner than expected.

The fact that this is the gathering place for CVO owners is exactly why I came here :) No better place to find out information about an upcoming purchase or learn how to mod your ride. Did the same thing before I bought my Suzi Boulevard. I wanted a unique bike, the bat wings finally grew on me and loved the chrome on the CVOs. Oh, yeah, the wife wanted the heated seat. The 110" was really just the icing on the cake. I just want to make sure that I wouldn't be better off just modding a standard ultra with new paint, chrome, etc. I rode an '06 Ultra with the 88" motor and pretty much stock. I had to admit that my Suzi had more umph, so the 110" seemed like the answer.

Welcome aboard LabRat! You certainly picked the right screen name for a 110" owner! ::) As I stated earlier, these things can be taken care of. Barring the engine grenading itself (which gets you a new engine anyway), there are many mods that can be made to make them stronger, more reliable, and better performing. HD has issues with new releases all the time. And strokers are more finicky than smaller engines too. If you get one, be committed to setting it up right. If you don't understand the bike, and are going to rely on the dealers to take care of it, you're gonna get what you get. And that might include a boat load of grief. But if you get into it and understand the issues, you can direct the correct course of action. Then you get what you want, instead of getting what you get. Good luck man, and enjoy the site! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Rhino

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2007, 10:35:59 AM »

I think that Harley does make a fine product. And I do not know anyone who has left a Harley in any kind of a true 'stock' configuaration.  They are designed to be messed with anyway.  It may come to the point when the bike will stay closer to stock becasue the systems are getting more complicated, but for now, I think that is all part of the Harley allure, to change it all at home and personalize it. That is what it's about.  On other manufactureres, what is available? Pipes and an airclearner and some pretty chrome.  But what manufacturere really has a bike that allows deep engine work and other functional performance mods as intense as Harley allows? None, not really.  Not like the Harley.

And the EPA has gotten tough on the Motorcycle industry, not just Harley. When Harley gets closer to EPA acceptance, what will happen?  It will be almost impossible to get into the motors. So, on my 110, I am happy, the motor issues are not really overwhelming, but more of a nuisance, and fixable, if you don't like the way it runs.  But IMHO, that's what its all about.  The non CVO 96 inch bikes? Kits are flying out the window, and it was a given that changes will be made.

And Harley may be limiited to 110, (but I dont agree), however there are a lot of aftermarket to change this.  

In the big picture, MOCO will be forced by C.A.R.B. to make changes, but there will always be that untouched racing performance segment that will be free and clear of these regulations.  And I do not know if these 49 states are ready to implement clean air on motorcycles on an individual basis. Not, erhaps not nin our generation anyway. So whats the problem?  I don't see one, and after I get off this board, I get on my bike, and ride down the street, thinking about the thousands of cop bikes out there and their riders, that are hard core Harley, sanctioned by all the states that do so.

Rhino(jusramblinonenjoyingmyride)

bc

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2007, 10:40:19 AM »

:-\ OK, been a lurker for a few weeks, trying to learn as much as  possible before making a decision on an '08 CVO Ultra and I have to admit, some of the threads have me worried that it might not be the right choice. I'm coming from the metric world, love my water cooled engine, but my cruiser just doesn't do what I want, so the only tourer that I really like are the Ultras. I love the CVOs, granted liked the 07's better than the '08 colors, but since I want new, it has to be an '08.

But with all the trouble some people are having with the 110" motor, I'm beginning to thing that I'd be better off with a 96" on the standard Ultras.

So what's the deal? Are there just some squeaky wheels out there making noise? Did Evilroadking get a lemon or is he part of a bigger problem?

Thanks,

Some of the so-called issues with the 110 are basic twin cam design stuff that you also get with a 96, including crank runout and other bottom end design trade offs (like no timkens and chain-driven cams), heat (to a lesser extent, but all twin cams run very hot), small ports, factory ECM maps, etc. etc.  Fact is, some of it is fixed in perfectly usable fashion when you do the mods that most people do anyway, like pipes, AC, and tune.  

The moco has addressed some bottom end stuff like early issues with cam tensioners - the current design may not be the best for a high performance engine, but work just fine.  They have also made evolutionary improvements to pistons and heads, oil pumps, transmissions, electrical & electronics systems.  HD's paint is excellent, their chrome is better than the metric bikes' by and large, etc. etc.  

I don't regard some issues as any different than any manufacturer's, i.e., HD has some chit get through production like anyone else.  I ran my Deuce for 6 years without a single problem, absolutely none.  On the other hand I had a Honda Valkyrie that developed a case leak - on an engine design where the case halves are supposed to be a permanent assembly.  That one required getting creative with some long head bolts from a Yamaha tour bike, of all things, to provide extra support as the case was being over-stressed in normal operation.  I wouldn't lose sleep over things like crank runout problems.  Not that it isn't a serious problem if you have it, but the likelihood that you will is loooowwww.  Again, who doesn't have problems sometimes?  My 2005 F150 crapped out a couple of months ago when an injector failed.  And, when I took it into my local Ford dealer - who is also a Honda and Suzuki dealer - there was a long line of metrics parked in the service bay.  

IMHO, the root cause of people bitching about HD is pricing.  If the average big twin cost $12k instead of $16-18k (never mind the CVOs), you wouldn't hear a peep.  It creates a sense of quality entitlement.  People think "Hey, this oughtta be PERFECT for this kind of money!!!".  If it were only so!!!

bc
'07 FXSTSSE

evilroadking

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2007, 10:59:34 AM »

Rhino,

Harley used to make a fine product. In 2007 the EPA has changed that. It's a whole new picture going forward. Based on what i have read here and other forums, If you buy a Harley now days, dont even waste your time breaking it in, Do your engine mods right off the bat and get that motor running cooler then the EPA fashion it comes in. I just read a blog claiming the extreme heat these engine are running at from the factory is causing aluminum block warpage and hence we here about blown head gaskets and crank run out. The blog claims damage is done during break in. This may hold water and may not, but it makes sense and it may be the fix for the folks buying new models.

Maybe the break in period is the Killer??? Another topic to beat up on......

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2007, 12:02:37 PM »

Unbalanced,

You sure hit on a few of the issues Harely is having with the 07's, Glad to see you admit you have encountered a few yourself. I think the gentleman inquireing on the 07, and 08's was more interested in dependabiltiy, and you answred him well. Keep up the good work.

Also, yoiu may want to do a little homework on the crank issue,, bigger problem then you think.

Best Regards to Ya,

Evil

Evil,

Unfortunately it is probably not a task I am going to undertake unless I am forced to.   I had the crank run out checked and I was good to go, thank goodness.   I will most likely be checking it again tomorrow to see if there have been any changes to the runout now that I have another 8k miles on the bike since the last check.   

You keep eluding to bottom end issues, and it might be helpful to share a bit of information with me even if not publically as it maybe enough that I can go get some answers if beyond the crank / bearings I know what I am looking for or asking specifically about.    Dealers being told not to open up the engines and just crate them and ship them back is a bit intriguing to me, but without more information I can't ask a friend to ask a friend ya know.

The problem is while we are seeing a few on the site and hearing of others at dealers, I have to wonder what the percentage of catastrophic failures really is vs. number of bikes produced / upgraded to 110.   I have a feeling the number is low, but Harley is using them to figure things out, without the motors being tainted by outside interference.   

Help me here sooner is much better than later and maybe we can shed some light on this if it is possible,

-harry
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2007, 12:54:24 PM »

Perception is everything.  There are issues and will always be issues, but how you handle them is what matters.  I have an 07 SERK aka AMF anniversary edition with all the oil leaks.  Service, parts availability and communcication is horrible.  My first failure was on the first day when the headlight switch went bad.  It's been downhill from there. 

Please tell me how to fix an oil leak in the VSS sensor in the transmission with after market upgrade parts?  How can I improve the performance of an o ring?  The case needs to be replaced and HD won't do it until they keep my bike for weeks while they try every other part from least expensive on up.  BTW, I'm still waiting on the rear cylinder for the other oil leak.

The heat issue will tell over time.  Heat is what causes things to fail.

Be afraid, be very afraid!

:soapbox:

Any day on the bike is a good day.

evilroadking

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2007, 02:21:19 PM »

Unbalanced,

I sent you a note via your emial.

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2007, 04:25:00 PM »

Unbalanced,

Don't hesitate for a minute, Brother. The only issue you should worry about now is the color of your choice..Good Luck.

LabRat

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2007, 04:41:20 PM »

Don't hesitate for a minute, Brother. The only issue you should worry about now is the color of your choice..Good Luck.

Settled in on a copper canyon, now just need my brother to find one. The first one he has coming in is a white. Need to see what is on the next production run.

SOKOOLJ

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2007, 04:44:29 PM »

Settled in on a copper canyon, now just need my brother to find one. The first one he has coming in is a white. Need to see what is on the next production run.

Good Luck!

LabRat

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2007, 04:47:01 PM »

Good Luck!

Thanks and then I can feel worthy to post a new introduction with Pics  :orange: until then, I'll remain in the shadows, lurking and learning

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2007, 05:31:44 PM »

Labrat,

Excellent summary.  Puts the issue in proper perspective.  ABS will be debated for a long time but what is your concern about the fly by wire throttle control?

My concern is what if the servo goes bad.   I prefer the cable to a possible electrical piece going bad.   Sure cables go bad or can stick, but I would rather deal with that than chasing wires / current / inconsistent ~ random servo problems.   The less I have to rely on the dealer for expertise the better I feel about it.

My other concern is when something will be available to tune the product with and what it will or wont be able to do.

While it maybe cleaner looking, I am just not sold on it on a Harley.   

q2bruiser

• High Tech Red Neck
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2007, 10:01:55 AM »

The biggest difference between HD and the other engine makers out there can be summed up in 3 letters, EPA. The EPA is forcing HD to lean out their bikes to incredibly lean mixtures in order to meet all the emission criteria. The other engine manyfacturers haven't had to do this, yet. HD is between a rock and something even harder, the Federal Government. We yell about hot motors, but the gov't can shut them down. Guess who wins this one?

I'm not sure I agree with this.  The reason I don't is I just moved from a BMW 1200 to an 07 FXDSE.  The beamers have had air/oil cooled twins for years and meet all EPA regs without all the stuff that has to be done to the HDs after the sale.  I do love my SE ... and am putting pipes and a SERT on her in a couple of weeks but my last bmer ran like a scalded dog, ran cool, and was very, very reliable.

The question I have is why doesn't the MOCO put oil coolers on all the bikes?

JKH

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2007, 10:05:24 AM »

I'm not sure I agree with this.  The reason I don't is I just moved from a BMW 1200 to an 07 FXDSE.  The beamers have had air/oil cooled twins for years and meet all EPA regs without all the stuff that has to be done to the HDs after the sale.  I do love my SE ... and am putting pipes and a SERT on her in a couple of weeks but my last bmer ran like a scalded dog, ran cool, and was very, very reliable.

JKH
No they don't.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

q2bruiser

• High Tech Red Neck
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2007, 10:08:46 AM »

No they don't.

Ride Safe,
Fired00d

I know ... the question is "WHY" don't they?  It is purely styling related?

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2007, 10:23:50 AM »

JKH

I'll admit to not knowing anything about the workings of the cooling system on the BWMs, but have to believe there is more to that system than there is on the Harleys. The EPA regs got a lot stiffer in 2007 and will tighten another notch in 2010. It appears that HD is having trouble meeting the stricter requirements and still produce bikes true to their heritage.

It's no secret that the HDs are running hotter, and leaner, than ever. The 07s were the first HDs to have O2 sensors in the pipes. These are narrow band sensors used to lean out the mixture even leaner at part throttle cruise. I have heard AFR numbers of over 17:1. I can't substantiate that, but got this from the Service Manager at my local dealer.

Why don't they put oil coolers on all bikes? That's a great question, and one that has been asked since the introduction of the Twin Cam in 1999. I remember a whole lot of complaining back then about how much hotter the TCs were than the Evos. Now that we've gotten used to the standard TC88 heat, we're hearing the same comments about the new motors all over again. I don't know how hot they can crank it up and keep these things alive. Its possible we're finding out now.

When I went to the HD Town Hall Meeting at the Knoxville rally, there was a question posed to the panel on just this topic. Without giving away any future product information, Ron Hutchinson, a big wig in Production, said there will be air cooled Harleys for many years to come.

:indian_chief:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2007, 10:28:11 AM »

I know ... the question is "WHY" don't they?  It is purely styling related?
:oops: Sorry about that I read the question to fast. First thing that comes to mind about them not being on all models is probably $$$. They can offer it as an accessory for those that want them and make more money. :nixweiss:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2007, 02:20:11 PM »

JKH

Yes they do.  My 2007 SERK came with a factory installed oil cooler with a 200 degree thermostat.  I'm not sure about the SEUC.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2007, 02:23:02 PM »

Yes they do.  My 2007 SERK came with a factory installed oil cooler with a 200 degree thermostat.  I'm not sure about the SEUC.

They come on the SERKs and FLHTCUSEs, but not general production bikes. I'm not sure about the other CVO models either.

Rides2007Harley

« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2007, 03:32:27 PM »

They come on the SERKs and FLHTCUSEs, but not general production bikes. I'm not sure about the other CVO models either.

I know my 07 FXDSE did not come with an oil cooler and I don't believe the Springer does either.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2007, 04:39:35 PM »

I know my 07 FXDSE did not come with an oil cooler and I don't believe the Springer does either.

Having and oil cooler makes you feel worse about these motors, running 260 degrees with an oil cooler is horrible.

Rides2007Harley

« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2007, 07:56:57 PM »

I can't verify this because I have never taken temp readings of my bikes but it doesn't seem like my 07 FXDSE runs any hotter than my stock 05 Ultra.  I have the SERT and pipes on the Dyna and also on my Ultra.

I could be totally out in left field here.  The Dyna got much warmer when it was new and stock but the SERT seemed to cool it down drastically.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2007, 08:04:35 PM »

These oil coolers basically don't do crap! Cooling 4 oz of oil at a time doesn't help much. HD's are purely Air-Cooled engines. Other engines are air-cooled AND oil cooled. Separate oil circuit is used for engine cooling. Ours is purely for lubrication. The coolers try to help keep the oil in range, a mighty task on these 110's! But the oil does nothing to help cool the engines! ;)

Hoist! 8)

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.405 seconds with 21 queries.