Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does Daytona Twin Scan II+ and SERT = Dyno-Free?  (Read 1819 times)

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
Does Daytona Twin Scan II+ and SERT = Dyno-Free?
« on: August 04, 2007, 05:26:42 PM »

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to properly install and tune a SERT on a SERK3 by using the Daytona Twin Scan II+ and WEGO IID? In other words, is it possible to get it 'right' without a dyno?
DTT's website seems to be saying this, but I've been known to totally misinterpret things before. Searches on this forum haven't shed any light on this either.

leoniru :confused5:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Does Daytona Twin Scan II+ and SERT = Dyno-Free?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 07:28:15 PM »

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to properly install and tune a SERT on a SERK3 by using the Daytona Twin Scan II+ and WEGO IID? In other words, is it possible to get it 'right' without a dyno?
DTT's website seems to be saying this, but I've been known to totally misinterpret things before. Searches on this forum haven't shed any light on this either.

leoniru,

Unless I'm confused again, I believe Unbalanced (Harry) has tuned his SERT with a Twin Scan & WEGO.  You might want to PM him.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 10:55:17 PM »

Yes its possible, but it will ak a lot of time and tinkering. Also using the wide band sensors n the pipe is a much better way to get good readings from the WEGO than the sniffer tubes.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 06:42:06 PM »

Leoniru,
It is very very possible to do, some cautions I will give you on this endeavor.

1.  When you start with your bike load your base map with the KNOCK SENSOR turned off.
2.  Go into the racetuner manual and find the area where they tell you to tune it on your own no dyno.   They will show you how to create a scale using tape to figure out where your rpm ranges are.   You can also use your data collecting software to allow you to hold the throttle in position while you mark each spot to know your at 2% through 20 percent throttle.

3.  Make sure when you do this that you use AFR Command to get your readings and also note that you will want to set your base map to say 13.7 to 1 across all fuel ranges to allow you to get your volumetrics correct.   By doing this you will essentially bypass the closed loop system to start off to allow yourself to get all your volumetrics correct then you will go in and copy your volumetrics back into your base map and play with the closed loop bias tables.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 08:50:19 PM »

Thanks, hd-dude and unbalanced for the responses. You've confirmed what I thought wrt being dyno-free. I figured it wouldn't be a cake walk and to be honest, I don't fully understand what unbalanced said in his suggestions. Then again, I don't possess, nor have I read the manuals for either device.
On the plus side  I am fairly PC literate, like to tinker, not bad with a set of wrenches, am detail oriented, and understand the English language. A steep learning curve I think I could handle PROVIDED the manuals are fairly well written. I would do my best to avoid becoming a pest on this forum wrt seeking help repetitively.
Being 'tune independent' would be my incentive and a better running bike my reward.

I do know I've got to do something to richen-up my SERK as my sparkplug porcelan looks almost as white as a new plug at 2300 miles.

leoniru

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 09:50:09 PM »

If you have problems let me know I am sure you can be easily walked through any of it,   Since you are PC literate there will only be a small learning curve to this.   It is tetious work for sure.

-harry
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Rhino

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 09:53:01 PM »

Or buy a TMAX -AT and forgeddabout the Dyno altogetha.

Rhino(the Zippers AT Guy on occassion)

If you have problems let me know I am sure you can be easily walked through any of it,   Since you are PC literate there will only be a small learning curve to this.   It is tetious work for sure.

-harry

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 10:01:03 PM »

Rhino;

I really, really wantED to go with the Tmax with AT but I couldn't even begin to imagine how I'd react if I were unlucky enough to have issues with it like some of the others. Such horror stories. I'm getting too old and cantankerous to remain civilized should something like that happen to me. I'm still waiting to see/hear about anything new from Zippers wrt the Tmax with AT. Noticed today in a  thread how one member found their latest software/firmware on a site other than Zippers ----- what's with that?

leoniru

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 10:28:41 PM »

Rhino;

I really, really wantED to go with the Tmax with AT but I couldn't even begin to imagine how I'd react if I were unlucky enough to have issues with it like some of the others. Such horror stories. I'm getting too old and cantankerous to remain civilized should something like that happen to me. I'm still waiting to see/hear about anything new from Zippers wrt the Tmax with AT. Noticed today in a  thread how one member found their latest software/firmware on a site other than Zippers ----- what's with that?

leoniru

Leon, it is unfortunately a healthy skepticism you're practicing.  Some have had excellent luck with the Thundermax.  Those that have had such luck out of the box of course don't even need to concern themselves with the company any longer. 

Others, however, have not enjoyed that same favorable or fortunate experience.  Assistance in many of those cases has been problematic.  Reasoned discussions are often overtaken by near religious idolatry but, worship notwithstanding, it's still the case that some do very well and some unfortunately do not.

Even more unfortunate is that there seems to be no trend nor pattern one might use to predict whether he'd be a fortunate or an unfortunate user.  I personally had issues with the company's products and the company's efforts.  I say this admitting the apparent and likely potential of the TMax system.  Unfortunately that potential doesn't yet translate to universal effectiveness and the company isn't able or willing to bring all their issues to an effective resolution.

Having had problems I certainly envy the good fortune of those who have had a more seamless and pleasant experience.  Given the overall history and experience pool, however, some doubt is not currently unfounded.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 08:40:42 AM »

leoniru,

If you are PC literate, why not use the PC and the Twin Scan II+. I am using that set up and have been very happy with the combination. The bike runs great. I will agree that it takes a good bit of work, but in the end, it's worth it.

If you're interested, I've developed a small Excel application for plotting out the Twin Scan log files so you can plot out all of your AFR curves for the different throttle settings.

Good luck in your endeavors.

:indian_chief:

leoniru

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 09:51:49 PM »

Chief;
Are you using the Power Commander, SERT, stock Delphi ECM or what with the TwinScanII+  ? Tell me more.If you don't mind, PM me.

If I'm understanding this at all, it seems to me that one could read and plot out the stock Delphi ECM settings with the TwinScanII+ and use them as a starting point with any adjustable aftermarket ECM such as the TMAT, DTT, etc.
My stock SERK doesn't run bad except for the leanness and occasional erratic idle (which I more and more suspect to be a misbehaving VSS). Easy cold or hot starting, no pinging, stumbling, flat spots, or detonation. No matter what brand fuel or how hot it is climatically.

leoniru

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2007, 08:54:32 AM »

Chief;
Are you using the Power Commander, SERT, stock Delphi ECM or what with the TwinScanII+  ? Tell me more.If you don't mind, PM me.

If I'm understanding this at all, it seems to me that one could read and plot out the stock Delphi ECM settings with the TwinScanII+ and use them as a starting point with any adjustable aftermarket ECM such as the TMAT, DTT, etc.
My stock SERK doesn't run bad except for the leanness and occasional erratic idle (which I more and more suspect to be a misbehaving VSS). Easy cold or hot starting, no pinging, stumbling, flat spots, or detonation. No matter what brand fuel or how hot it is climatically.

leoniru

My set up is a PC and the TSII+.

The TSII+ works, and works well, but it does require some planning on your part to use it well. I first started out just riding around, but those results were not good. I then came up with a more methodical approach and my results were much more consistent.

:indian_chief:

Page created in 0.459 seconds with 21 queries.