Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Rinehart baffles question  (Read 7932 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Rinehart baffles question
« on: August 14, 2007, 06:27:11 PM »

Have looked around the web only to find speculation and reportage of widely varying degree.  Since could not find anything definitive elsewhere will try the membership here.

I've never had any prior experience with Rineharts (true duals for a dresser).  So aside from the general discussions common to them I know squat. 

If anyone has before and after experience with their standard baffles and their quiet baffles please share.  Not just sound but any difference in the torque curve.

Thanks

igofar

• Senior CVO Member
  • IBA #27368
Re: Rinehart baffles question
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 08:58:01 PM »

Twolane...
I have the Rinehart Tru Duals on my 110".
I did buy and try the "Quiet Baffles" but that trial was very short lived.
The quiet baffles sounded just as loud but worst of all, they had a very "tinny, cheap" sound.
In the short time I ran the optional baffles, I could not notice any power increase or decrease.
The sound was reason enough to cut the test very early.... Anyone want a good deal on some quiet baffles??

Brad

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 09:02:30 PM »

Had the standard baffles in when the bike was first tuned, Don.

TQ 117/HP 92.  Same numbers after the quiet baffles were installed, but I had it

tweaked since it was not running quite a smoothly in the power band.  No difference in power or

"feel" with the exception the bike "feels" a bit more powerful at lower RPM (2k - 1st/2nd gear) with the quieter baffle.

BTW - the so called quiet baffles are not exactly quiet on the 110 motor.  The standard baffles

were damn loud and in my young whippersnapper days would have loved them. 'Quiet' baffles have a more muted sound.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 09:06:25 PM »

Twolane...
I have the Rinehart Tru Duals on my 110".
I did buy and try the "Quiet Baffles" but that trial was very short lived.
The quiet baffles sounded just as loud but worst of all, they had a very "tinny, cheap" sound.
In the short time I ran the optional baffles, I could not notice any power increase or decrease.
The sound was reason enough to cut the test very early.... Anyone want a good deal on some quiet baffles??

Brad

Thanks Iski.  Thanks Brad.  Not having used the product myself before that kind of before and after is invaluable experience.

Brad, how good is good?  I'm not above trying them out to see the difference if the testing comes at a fair discount.

Did either of you notice if any quieting effect was across the RPM range or only at an idle or lower RPMs?

Thanks guys.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 09:12:28 PM »

They are quieter across the entire RPM band, except possibly at full throttle, where they are loud as hell.  At idle more noticeably quiet.  As a comparison, the quiet baffles on the 110 are about as loud as the stock baffles on my TC-88 RK.

Less 'pop' than the originals in my bike, Don.  More of a low rumble that is likely too muted for some, but ok by me cuz I like to listen to the tunes and all.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 09:18:00 PM »

They are quieter across the entire RPM band, except possibly at full throttle, where they are loud as hell.  At idle more noticeably quiet.  As a comparison, the quiet baffles on the 110 are about as loud as the stock baffles on my TC-88 RK.

Less 'pop' than the originals in my bike, Don.  More of a low rumble that is likely too muted for some, but ok by me cuz I like to listen to the tunes and all.

Thanks.  That's a description with enough shared references to be completely understandable  :2vrolijk_21: .

Did you notice the tinny sound that Brad mentioned?  Just wondering if that's a general issue or a specific one Brad had to suffer with.

From what you've described here I think I'd like to give them a shot though.

Brad, PM a price and we'll see if I'm as convinced to guinea pig this project for myself as I think I am.

RetiredOF

• Senior CVO Member
  • Coming soon to a location near you!
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 09:20:05 PM »

Have looked around the web only to find speculation and reportage of widely varying degree.  Since could not find anything definitive elsewhere will try the membership here.

I've never had any prior experience with Rineharts (true duals for a dresser).  So aside from the general discussions common to them I know squat. 

I had both on my super tuned 04 Road Glide.  Liked them both, although the quiet baffles were much more livable when pulling a trailer.  Just installed the standard Rineharts on my 07 Road Glide and like the sound, but have a set of quiet baffles to use when pulling the trailer.

As to power changes, my tuner and I could see no significant change in either baffle.

Enjoy,

Jim

If anyone has before and after experience with their standard baffles and their quiet baffles please share.  Not just sound but any difference in the torque curve.

Thanks
Member 3063

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 09:24:31 PM »

pulling a trailer

Wonderful, even more spot on advice.

The primary reason I asked this was a couple of short pulls I've done in the last few days with the new trailer.  The difference between having the trailer behind me and not having it behind me is striking.  Significant reverb comes off the face of the trailer and bounces forward. 

If the quiet baffle was an improvement there I definitely want to give them a try.  Thanks very much.

Bubba

• 1K CVO Member
  • LIVE TO RIDE! RIDE TO EAT!

• CVO1: 2006 CUSE B/S
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 09:35:02 PM »

Don, I had RH on my RK,  I too did a stupid thing and bought the $99.00 "quite" baffle, SAVE YOUR MONEY Don't do it......
The baffle that came with it sound GREAT,  Performance GREAT,  noise level SUCKS... When I bought my CUSE I to put the RH on it as well, the only problem was I could not hear the Phone, Radio ect.  But I could tell by the seat of the butt dyno They work GREAT....

Rineharts has my vote for the performance no questions about it.
The only problem I had was the sound on a long trip, well it kinda wares on you,  but I'm guess I'm getting old.  Sold them on this site (THANKS Neal) and opt for the SE pipes and the V & H Dresser duels while in my opinion is quieter.
~mike~
Any-day above ground is worth living so let's go riding!!!

Rhino

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 09:35:22 PM »

Hi All,

I started with a late model version of the Rinehart TD's for my Cuse2. They came with standard baffles. At the time, they had 3 baffle choices. The stock, quiet and performance.  When I called, they said they changed the formats to have the stock, and a new performance baffle. Only 1 choice now. It would fit the pipes that have the three hex screws at the tailpipe.   I checked and I had this version. The 'NEW" baffle is choked to 1 7/8ths similar in location and shape to the stock baffle, but a bit more squeeze than the original. I was told that the NEW one gave better torque.  So, I did it, and installed the replacements, and did find 2 things. Torque did increase, but I also attribute that to the cam combo I had been using so it ooomphed it a bit more, and the cruising sound went a bit quieter, however when wrapping it up, it is louder than the stock baffle. Just my 02.

Rhino

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 09:41:11 PM »

Don, I had RH on my RK,  I too did a stupid thing and bought the $99.00 "quite" baffle, SAVE YOUR MONEY Don't do it......
The baffle that came with it sound GREAT,  Performance GREAT,  noise level SUCKS... When I bought my CUSE I to put the RH on it as well, the only problem was I could not hear the Phone, Radio ect.  But I could tell by the seat of the butt dyno They work GREAT....

Rineharts has my vote for the performance no questions about it.
The only problem I had was the sound on a long trip, well it kinda wares on you,  but I'm guess I'm getting old.  Sold them on this site (THANKS Neal) and opt for the SE pipes and the V & H Dresser duels while in my opinion is quieter.
~mike~

Mike, these Rineharts are about the same level of loud going down the road as were my V&H duals with the White Brothers E Series on the end of them.  They did move the torque up a couple hundred RPM though.  Not enough to be significant.  And the bike is running crappy enough right now that it's a distinction without a difference anyway.  But at least in its current state of tune there was that difference.

What I'm really interested in, however, is for use when pulling this little Bushtec trailer.  I'd not even mind slipping the baffles in and out for "normal" use as opposed to long trips when pulling the trailer.  The bounce off the front of the trailer is surprising though.  I'd spend a little to lessen it if I could do so without hurting other things too much in the process.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 09:45:34 PM »

Don

Good observation on the sound bouncing off the front of the trailer.
Whatever pipes you have they will be louder pulling the trailer.
I know from experience!

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 09:48:11 PM »

Hi All,

I started with a late model version of the Rinehart TD's for my Cuse2. They came with standard baffles. At the time, they had 3 baffle choices. The stock, quiet and performance.  When I called, they said they changed the formats to have the stock, and a new performance baffle. Only 1 choice now. It would fit the pipes that have the three hex screws at the tailpipe.   I checked and I had this version. The 'NEW" baffle is choked to 1 7/8ths similar in location and shape to the stock baffle, but a bit more squeeze than the original. I was told that the NEW one gave better torque.  So, I did it, and installed the replacements, and did find 2 things. Torque did increase, but I also attribute that to the cam combo I had been using so it ooomphed it a bit more, and the cruising sound went a bit quieter, however when wrapping it up, it is louder than the stock baffle. Just my 02.

Rhino

The set I've got are their 1800-0242.  These I'm told are the current/latest design and have the "standard" baffle.  The rep at Bub did tell me of a "quiet" baffle option though.  The difficulty was she could offer no guidance nor insight as to quiet in what range or effects on the torque curve.  So, as is so often the best solution anyway, I've fallen back on the collective wisdom of the CVO membership.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 09:51:28 PM »

Don

Good observation on the sound bouncing off the front of the trailer.
Whatever pipes you have they will be louder pulling the trailer.
I know from experience!

:2vrolijk_21:

It is a striking difference too Chip.  Amused myself because the first time I rode the bike after making the pipe swap the trailer was hooked on.  Had this immediate "oh crap what did I do" moment thinking these things were going to be just incredibly loud.  Dropped the trailer off at the paint shop and got on the bike to ride home to find, voila, all the sudden the exhaust was just so much quieter.

After I got through calling myself stupid a couple of times for not immediately realizing all of what was going on I then decided to see what the baffle options might be for these mufflers.

Bubba

• 1K CVO Member
  • LIVE TO RIDE! RIDE TO EAT!

• CVO1: 2006 CUSE B/S
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 09:54:23 PM »

Don read my fingers DON"T BUY THE QUITE BAFFLES.....They SUCK

The Rineharts are GREAT and I still like them and still debating on putting them back on my bike... Just a little loud for me.
All I saying is DON'T buy the quiet baffle,  Sound Sucks.

~mike~
Any-day above ground is worth living so let's go riding!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 21 queries.