Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: leaking rear head gasket  (Read 9595 times)

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
Re: leaking rear head gasket
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2007, 09:48:53 AM »

Anyone have any thoughts on my electrical phenomenon?

Scott

This will probably get more attention in it's own thread in General CVO or model specific.  Some people are tire of reading about our head gasket issues.  JMHO.
Thanks
Any day on the bike is a good day.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2007, 09:49:20 AM »

Loose wire.  Check all connectors, ground points.

Miker

GasRat

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2007, 09:58:52 AM »

Well, I guess my story is taking another turn to " what the F*** town.  My bike is scheduled to go in Wed. for the third gasket change.  Nothing new, just small leak at bottom of head as usual.   Well I hop on the bike to go to work this morning start it up let it warm up bit,  get half way down  the block and notice a slight ticking noise then the engine light comes on and suprise!!  No oil pressure.  I put it back in the garage and I'm calling the dealer this morning.  Boy I can't wait to see what happens next.  And to be honest with you, I had a hard time not riding it to work anyway just to see the damn motor grenade and see if a new one would have better luck.  But I just don't have it in me to intensionally hurt my jester.  So we'll see what happens & I'll keep you all posted step by step.  
Better to remain quiet and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

CVOHarley Member #2390

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2007, 10:34:07 AM »

Well, I guess my story is taking another turn to " what the F*** town.  My bike is scheduled to go in Wed. for the third gasket change.  Nothing new, just small leak at bottom of head as usual.   Well I hop on the bike to go to work this morning start it up let it warm up bit,  get half way down  the block and notice a slight ticking noise then the engine light comes on and suprise!!  No oil pressure.  I put it back in the garage and I'm calling the dealer this morning.  Boy I can't wait to see what happens next.  And to be honest with you, I had a hard time not riding it to work anyway just to see the damn motor grenade and see if a new one would have better luck.  But I just don't have it in me to intensionally hurt my jester.  So we'll see what happens & I'll keep you all posted step by step.  

Sorry to hear, Gasrat.  What's your mileage?  Crank took out the oil pump perhaps? 

GasRat

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2007, 10:55:57 AM »

Just hit 7000.
Better to remain quiet and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

CVOHarley Member #2390

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2007, 11:12:21 AM »

Just hit 7000.

Thanks.  Another problem to look forward too.  I'm having runout checked while in for the dual jug and tranny replacement.  Doing that first!

This POS motor is taking up too much of my time.  The passion is gone, that train has left the station.

gremlush

• I may not be good, BUT, I am slow.
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2007, 07:47:25 PM »

I have a 2007 springer ,built in June 2007 , and it has the Cometic 3 layer head gaskets on it. You can  see the 'tabs' with the ribbets sticking out ,and they are 3 layer metal. Probably .040 thick. If H-D is using Cometics tq. specs. 4 tqs instead of 3 ,they should hold up fine. Been porting H-D heads since 1978 and have been supplying Cometic gaskets with all of my heads for years ,and have had NO gaskets problems. H-D tried so many different head and base gaskets on the EVO's ,its all about $ , but screaming eagle gaskets are made by Cometic ,and you have to pay for them ! I think all new CVO 110s will have the Cometic head gaskets. I think {could be wrong} that Cometic has a patent on the 3 layer metal gaskets. I have 1950 miles on my springer {1 month} and its all been 95-100 degree's ,and I do not baby this motor ! No leak yet !!!!!

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2007, 08:18:25 PM »

I have a 2007 springer ,built in June 2007 , and it has the Cometic 3 layer head gaskets on it. You can  see the 'tabs' with the ribbets sticking out ,and they are 3 layer metal. Probably .040 thick. If H-D is using Cometics tq. specs. 4 tqs instead of 3 ,they should hold up fine. Been porting H-D heads since 1978 and have been supplying Cometic gaskets with all of my heads for years ,and have had NO gaskets problems. H-D tried so many different head and base gaskets on the EVO's ,its all about $ , but screaming eagle gaskets are made by Cometic ,and you have to pay for them ! I think all new CVO 110s will have the Cometic head gaskets. I think {could be wrong} that Cometic has a patent on the 3 layer metal gaskets. I have 1950 miles on my springer {1 month} and its all been 95-100 degree's ,and I do not baby this motor ! No leak yet !!!!!

I spoke to Tech Support at Cometic last week and they said they do not supply head gaskets to HD.  THey said they had done some R&D for them in the past.  For what that info is worth.

Rhino

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2007, 08:29:38 PM »

Did you by any chance encounter ANY moisture, like RAIN, or a BIKE WASH? 
Rhino

But, I encountered a new adventure today...while crossing the Mackinac Bridge to meet up with the rest our group (heading to Toronto, then Niagria Falls), my radio went blank (no power), along with my accessory circuit (Garmin Zumo), no turn signals, and the oil temperature gage lost power. 
Scott

Rhino

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2007, 08:37:41 PM »

Well, I guess my story is taking another turn to " what the F*** town.  My bike is scheduled to go in Wed. for the third gasket change.  Nothing new, just small leak at bottom of head as usual.   Well I hop on the bike to go to work this morning start it up let it warm up bit,  get half way down  the block and notice a slight ticking noise then the engine light comes on and suprise!!  No oil pressure.  

You will be getting a NEW motor if your dealer is upright.  If not, demand to talk to the MOCO rep.   No oil pressure= Your oil pump is shot. For sure your crank is out closer to .030 instead of .0030.   That alone qualifies you for the motor.  Be there when they do it.   
Sorry to hear of your trials, but there is always a solution, although quite inconvenient. 

Rhino

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2007, 08:59:12 PM »

Did you by any chance encounter ANY moisture, like RAIN, or a BIKE WASH? 
Rhino

Hi Ron,

No rain, no bike wash...I am hoping someone can identify a circuit that would leave most of the electrics intact, but stop only the radio, oil temp gage, assy switch, turn signals and starter (or starter button).  There could have been more not working, but it was kind of busy in the traffic.  Any hints to troubleshoot the issue should it happen again.  But, as to your question, there was nothing out of the ordinary and no water at all prior to the electrical failure...  It was strange that shortly after the electrics failed, it all recovered for a minute or two, then the same items failed again, and then did not recover until I cycled the power switch.  The bike ran fine again today (except for the oil seepage from the rear head and my paranoid thoughts each time I shut off the bike)...

Scott

« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 09:01:17 PM by sadunbar »
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Rhino

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2007, 09:55:45 PM »

Hi Ron,
No rain, no bike wash...I am hoping someone can identify a circuit that would leave most of the electrics intact, but stop only the radio, oil temp gage, assy switch, turn signals and starter (or starter button). 
Scott

Easy enough to figure, a couple of connectors, and search for open wire shorting to frame in a bundle.  Need to look at 07 cvo supplement which has electrical schems, cant tonight, but following radio back, oil temp back etc, should be able to troubleshoot better.   Dealer trip scheduled?  Check entire fuse box harness too, could have been twisted when reinstalled, under rt side cover.  Not sure about that assy switch, geez, I got to get one of those. What does it do, turn on the vibrating seat?

Rhino

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2007, 10:08:06 PM »

Easy enough to figure, a couple of connectors, and search for open wire shorting to frame in a bundle.  Need to look at 07 cvo supplement which has electrical schems, cant tonight, but following radio back, oil temp back etc, should be able to troubleshoot better.   Dealer trip scheduled?  Check entire fuse box harness too, could have been twisted when reinstalled, under rt side cover.  Not sure about that assy switch, geez, I got to get one of those. What does it do, turn on the vibrating seat?

Rhino

Ron,

Easy enough if it was still shorted, but it isn't.  It only shorted (or something) briefly and has not reoccurred - yet.  My zumo gets power from the accessory plug under the seat and power is turned on and off with the accessory toggle switch on the dash.  This also lost power during my episode...and no, there is no dealer visit scheduled as yet because I am deep into Canada in the midst of a 3000-3500 trip - which is why I am looking for trouble shooting assistance.  I have no manual with me, or schematics.  I have electrical repair tools with me...meter, connectors, ect. and some basic mechanical tools.  I am on my own with this for a while.  Closest HD dealer is about 500 miles away in Toronto...If it happens again and does not recover, then it is basic troubleshooting.  Just looking for a short cut if and when it happens.

Scott
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Rhino

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2007, 11:31:33 PM »

OK, this is where you do the ol fix it yourself thing.  In your spare time, when not being chased by 12 pound mosquitoes, take off seat, take off side covers, take off front fairing. Easy enough to do in a couple hours or so,  then turn on ignition and wiggle stuff to try and replicate. I would be suspect of any wiring runs, check to make sure connectors are clicked, check under frame, check fuse area, check near master, inspect any harnesses and wire runs for abraision. Look at wire run at rear of tank, see if it is pinched at all anywhere. Hopefully not needed to take off tank. But I would do the following: I would disconnect and reconnect every viable connector, there are not so many, and inspect it.

San, it can only be so much, I am thinking abraision. Did you do any electrical mods like assy sw, or the headlight mod? Whatever it is, it is not blowing fuses, so the current is very short.  I need to see what reset fuses there are, if any.  I will check tommorrow and see what I can see here, but that far away, I am guessing to. But hopefully, we ccan narrow it down, and you don't get stranded with those polar bear and mooses.

Rhino

Ron,

Easy enough if it was still shorted, but it isn't.  It only shorted (or something) briefly and has not reoccurred - yet.  My zumo gets power from the accessory plug under the seat and power is turned on and off with the accessory toggle switch on the dash.  This also lost power during my episode...and no, there is no dealer visit scheduled as yet because I am deep into Canada in the midst of a 3000-3500 trip - which is why I am looking for trouble shooting assistance.  I have no manual with me, or schematics.  I have electrical repair tools with me...meter, connectors, ect. and some basic mechanical tools.  I am on my own with this for a while.  Closest HD dealer is about 500 miles away in Toronto...If it happens again and does not recover, then it is basic troubleshooting.  Just looking for a short cut if and when it happens.

Scott

GasRat

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2007, 09:59:45 AM »

Rhino,
         How long do you think turn around should be if they go the new engine route?  I'm hopeing to be rideing it to hd-dude's grand opening on the 8th.

CVOHarley Member #2390
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 21 queries.