Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cross-over Exhaust  (Read 1045 times)

dalwolf

Cross-over Exhaust
« on: September 04, 2007, 10:08:27 PM »

Does anyone know exactly why Harley uses cross-over exhaust. I put Rinehart true dual exhaust on my 03 and had an ECM download done; I did not really see any difference in the engine performance. I am trying to decide what to do with the new 08.
My bikes: 2003 100th anniversary FLHTCUI and a 2008 FLHTCUSE3

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Cross-over Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 11:05:53 PM »

Does anyone know exactly why Harley uses cross-over exhaust. I put Rinehart true dual exhaust on my 03 and had an ECM download done; I did not really see any difference in the engine performance. I am trying to decide what to do with the new 08.
dalwolf,

Exhaust system "crossover" pipes can actually serve more than one purpose.  In the case of a stock exhaust system, the crossover allows the cylinders to share muffler volume, which helps reduce noise levels without adding excessive restriction or going to much larger mufflers. 

A properly designed crossover system will also enhance performance by balancing exhaust flow variations due to engine firing order (more of an issue on engines with more cylinders, like a V-8 auto engine), increasing the exhaust scavenging effect, and reducing reversion.  A good example of a really good system can be found under your typical NASCAR stock car.  Unfortunately, the crossover on an FLHT doesn't remotely resemble the performance enhancing types that can be found elsewhere.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Steve_G

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • SD

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTUSE Watermelon (traded)
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTUSE3 Anniversary (traded)
    • CVO3: 2022 FLHTKSE Hightail Yellow
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 12:22:41 AM »

Unless you are trying to turn your bike into a 1/4 mi. drag bike, you will lose midrange performance if you get rid of the crossover.  If you like the looks of true duals, don't do it for performance reasons.  If you want performance, get a good 2 into 1 total exhaust system.  If you want to enjoy good touring performance, just get whatever type of slip-on mufflers that you like and enjoy the ride.  This is just my personal opinion based on the 26 bikes I have owned and modified.  -Opions may vary.   :2vrolijk_21:  -Retail& Steve
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies!

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 08:14:05 AM »

If you have a 110" motor, eliminating the crossover will eliminate a great deal of heat from your right side.  It also allowed me a better view of my transmission leak and rear head gasket leak.

:jalapeno: :cucumber:
Any day on the bike is a good day.

deucedog

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 08:38:50 AM »

It also allowed me a better view of my transmission leak and rear head gasket leak.

:jalapeno: :cucumber:

And after reading this forum extensively, you are not kidding!

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 21 queries.