Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: CA emissions cannister on CO bike - Dyno tomorrow...  (Read 850 times)

tomgeb

• 2006 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze
CA emissions cannister on CO bike - Dyno tomorrow...
« on: September 05, 2007, 10:20:44 AM »

Recently bought CA '06 CUSE from California owner ( I live in Colorado).  I just installed V&H Ovals and SE A/C this w/e and bike goes in for dyno and SERT install tomorrow.  My question is that I understand that the CA bikes have an emissions cannister on them.  I assume this should go prior to the dyno?  If I were to leave on would I be giving up power?  Is it a big problem to remove and I think I read on another thread that removing it may cause the engine light to stay on.  Is this true?  That does not sound good as it could mask other problem.  Thanks for your help.
V&H Ovals
SE A/C
SERT
Extra Chrome and Stuff!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: CA emissions cannister on CO bike - Dyno tomorrow...
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 04:06:03 PM »

Recently bought CA '06 CUSE from California owner ( I live in Colorado).  I just installed V&H Ovals and SE A/C this w/e and bike goes in for dyno and SERT install tomorrow.  My question is that I understand that the CA bikes have an emissions cannister on them.  I assume this should go prior to the dyno?  If I were to leave on would I be giving up power?  Is it a big problem to remove and I think I read on another thread that removing it may cause the engine light to stay on.  Is this true?  That does not sound good as it could mask other problem.  Thanks for your help.
tomgeb,

The carbon canister on the CA models is similar to the one on all cars and light trucks for the past 20-30 years.  The purpose is to capture fuel vapors that would otherwise be vented directly to the atmosphere and create smog, and then release those vapors into the carb or throttle body while the engine is running.  I have no first hand knowledge of the '06 system, but the earlier models were pretty basic designs that could be easily removed if you so desired.  I would suggest getting your hands on the '06 Touring service manual for a schematic of the system as well as removal and installation instructions for the components.  Should be in section 4, Fuel System.  The canister itself should still be under the battery tray. 

BTW, the older models I've seen had no direct connection to the ECM so removing the system shouldn't set a code.  Just make sure you plug up the port on the throttle body where the purge line attaches so you don't wind up with an air leak.  And I seriously doubt you will see a noticeable performance difference with the system installed or removed.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 21 queries.