Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Re-mapping Question ??  (Read 4703 times)

wiseguy

• Junior CVO Member
Re-mapping Question ??
« on: May 02, 2005, 10:32:23 PM »

Just purchased V&H Big Radius pipes and the dealer is telling me that they have to re-mapp my computer and down load new software.

What i have read is that you dont have to down load anything??

This dealer know what they are talking about or do they just want $ 3 brown ones?

It's Not A Party Unless Someone Gets Knocked Down, Knocked Out, Or Knocked Up.

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 Fat Boy Blue/Brushed Steel
    • CVO2: 2015 Street Black/Ghost Flames
Re: Re-mapping Question ??
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 09:47:48 AM »

Don't know about the brown ones, but I would suggest the Power Commander and then down load the map on thier web site.

kng103

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2004  SE-103          ROAD KING CLASSIC
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 10:38:39 AM »

Just purchased V&H Big Radius pipes and the dealer is telling me that they have to re-mapp my computer and down load new software.

This dealer know what they are talking about or do they just want $ 3 brown ones?

if you are not changing the air cleaner then you don't have to do a remap.
but you should do the air cleaner and download for best results.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2005, 10:39:10 AM by kng103 »

2004 flhrci se-103 pearl white
bassani true duals w/ho mufflers
se air cleaner
sert
se-251 cam
s&s reed valve
24/37 gearing
se-6 sp
rumble road speakers
2008 lincoln mark lt(silver)

reo

• Elite CVO Member
  • Got Chrome ?

• CVO1: Red FLSTFSE
    • CVO2: B&B FLHTCSE
    • royogren.com/gallery/
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 06:01:16 PM »

wiseguy you didnt say what bike you have. If you have an 05 sefb it comes with the stage1 aircleaner. In my opinion regardless of what pipes you are changing to, if you have fuel injection you should always get the fuel mapping optimized because it will be different from what the epa carb approved pipes that are installed from the factory are mapped with. not many maps for the 05 sefb regardless if you go with the race tuner or the power comander, but find someone who is familiar with whatever you go with and get it dynoed.

RIGMAN

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 07:33:52 PM »

I've read on another site no tuning required with big radius pipes, as per paying list price for your fatboy I payed 43,000 and change here in ALBERTA & I phoned every dealership in Alberta and Sask.  they all said pay the price or someone else will.  So I bought one and have no reqreuts it's electric cherry no mods yet but one sweet bike ps. let me know how you make out on the pipes I was leaning towards the big radius also

UltraCVO

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • Psychological treatments over the phone
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2005, 04:31:56 PM »

I am just having V&H Big radius pipes fitted and I have to have the stage 1 D/L and air cleaner.
Here in the UK and Europe, we get a standard air cleaner ( no loverly tear drop) and exhaust with stock map on delivery, so have the added cost of complete stage 1 mods.  [smiley=furious.gif]
« Last Edit: May 05, 2005, 04:35:44 PM by UltraCVO »
06 Honda Fireblade
06 SLK 55
07 FLHRSE3

Phatharley4me

• Ride it Like you STOLE IT !!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2005, 08:37:30 PM »

I have the Big Radius on mine and I DID NOT get it mapped.  However, what I have is a lot of backfiring..which to most sounds pretty sweet on decel.  I went to my local $tealer who does a lot of performance, custom work and was told although mapping is not necessary.. IF you prefer to get the most out of your bike and really lean it out for the best performance, mapping is SUGGESTED. I decided to ride it for a while, get a few miles on her and then go for it.

I also noticed my pipes have turned the most obvious sign of running lean...BLUE PIPES under the covers.  (hahahaha...) Although the part you see kind of blends with the Cobalt paint. [smiley=laugh.gif]  

So...since the backfiring is getting pretty old and a little annoying and I want the most I can get safely out of the 103,  I am going to get mine mapped by H-D,.  I'm going with the Screaming Eagle package from the $tealer, so I can still be under Warranty.  

Good luck with your decision...Either way..the pipes Kick A$$ !  They are not for all but they are RIGHT for ME [smiley=bigok.gif]

UltraCVO

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2005, 05:42:30 AM »

I have the Big Radius on mine and I DID NOT get it mapped.  However, what I have is a lot of backfiring..which to most sounds pretty sweet on decel.  I went to my local $tealer who does a lot of performance, custom work and was told although mapping is not necessary.. IF you prefer to get the most out of your bike and really lean it out for the best performance, mapping is SUGGESTED. I decided to ride it for a while, get a few miles on her and then go for it.

I also noticed my pipes have turned the most obvious sign of running lean...BLUE PIPES under the covers.  (hahahaha...) Although the part you see kind of blends with the Cobalt paint. [smiley=laugh.gif]  

So...since the backfiring is getting pretty old and a little annoying and I want the most I can get safely out of the 103,  I am going to get mine mapped by H-D,.  I'm going with the Screaming Eagle package from the $tealer, so I can still be under Warranty.  

Good luck with your decision...Either way..the pipes Kick A$$ !  They are not for all but they are RIGHT for ME [smiley=bigok.gif]

It is interesting you say you have NOT had your bike fitted with the D/L and that it backfires a lot, my ElectraSE has had pipes and the D/L, it also backfires a lot [smiley=laugh.gif]. Hmm and runs with the correct mixture, you therefore may find you still backfire after fitting the full HD stage 1 kit.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2005, 01:27:07 PM by UltraCVO »
06 Honda Fireblade
06 SLK 55
07 FLHRSE3

skull

• Full CVO Member
  • "Getter Dunn"
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2005, 08:55:45 AM »

Guys,

Have the same problem with my SE Deuce.  I got the download, but I still get some popping/backfiring on deceleration.  The reason is, the MoCo does not really have specific downloads for our bikes, our bikes have different parts (ie. CAMS).  You can get the HD Race Tuner or Power Commander installed and have the bike dyno tuned to get rid of the backfiring.  I am going to go that route.  After awhile, the popping gets old.

Also, someone on the board said they wanted to "lean their bike out".  Trust me, you do not want you bike running lean.  If you do so for long, your CVO bike will probably become a donation to someone to use as a boat anchor.

Skull

UltraCVO

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2005, 01:11:01 PM »

Just rode my FB with the V/H Big radius pipes now on, it also is backfiring the same, only a lot louder than my Electra Glide with SE pipes.

I am sure Skull is correct here, in that we are not getting an individual map for these bikes.
06 Honda Fireblade
06 SLK 55
07 FLHRSE3

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
  • There is no mistaking the Dominant Gene
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2005, 05:23:06 PM »

Nope dont want her running lean, if anything a little rich!
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Screamin Eagle Race tuner
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned
Max Power 97.2 Max Torque 107.3

Mrs Red Hot

• Harley Lover
  • Senior CVO Member
  • One sweet ride and Red Hot!
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2005, 11:03:13 AM »

What your dealer said is true and without the remap should you ever have problems who's to say if HD will warranty any engine work you might need. They are very picky when you don't do things right. I changed my exhaust and my dealer didn't think he needed to remap. WRONG!! They bike was running very lean and popping a lot on decel. Went back and had the Race Tuner Kit added and now everything is fine. Also in the Screamin Eagle Parts Book they do state that with any EFI bike and Exhaust change that you do need to Remap.

EFI models require ECM
recalibration through applicable
calibration cartridge or through EFI
Race Tuner Kit. See EFI Race Tuner

This is an excert from the SE pages of the HD parts book, and recommended when using their exhaust. I'm certain the same would hold true if using an after market exhaust too. Sandy
Sandy :)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2005, 11:54:21 AM »

I believe you will find that the factory stage x calibrations only richen up the mixture at larger throttle openings and at higher rpm's, where the improved air flow would lean out the mixture.  The mixture is still EPA lean at low speeds and steady cruise.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Mrs Red Hot

• Harley Lover
  • Senior CVO Member
  • One sweet ride and Red Hot!
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2005, 04:27:36 PM »

Just rode my FB with the V/H Big radius pipes now on, it also is backfiring the same, only a lot louder than my Electra Glide with SE pipes.

I am sure Skull is correct here, in that we are not getting an individual map for these bikes.

Mine was doing a lot of popping on decel with no remaping and the SE II slip on's. Went back and switched pipes to the SE 16 Gauge Double Barrel's and added the Race Tuner kit. Bike is running much better now and no popping at all.  [smiley=biggthumpup.gif]  Sandy
Sandy :)

sefatboyscott

• Senior CVO Member
  • There is no mistaking the Dominant Gene
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2005, 01:23:51 AM »

Was told by my stealer that there is no canned map for the pipes I run ( caliber) and they had to do a custom map and dyno tune the bike to build it.5 hours labor. It cost me more to put on my race tuner than the part was. I was shocked when having my bike dropped off to installl  the race tuner then going back the next day to get a 622 dollar bill to pick up my bike, I am more than a little bit upset. If I had known it was going to cost me 750 for pipes, 460 for a race tuner and 600 buckes to install the race tuner I would have just said f'it and kept the stock pipes, the little hp and tone I got vs. the expense is ridiculous.  I will say this however, the custom map has been making the bike run better and smoother than I imagined, I just wasn't prepared for the sticker shock.they could have let me know it was going to be this costly. I thought they would install the tuner and just do a download. 1,800 dollar exhaust is what I ended up with......BTW the numbers 97.6 hp 107.2 lbs trq.
05 FLSTFSE
Caliber Pipes
Screamin Eagle Race tuner
Custom mapped Dyno Tuned
Max Power 97.2 Max Torque 107.3
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 21 queries.