Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Precautions/Suggestions for bleeding brakes?  (Read 8767 times)

Sean M Cary

Precautions/Suggestions for bleeding brakes?
« on: May 07, 2008, 08:34:56 PM »

What do you all do to ensure that brake fluid does not hit the paint?

Gotta bleed the SERK2 brakes, the fluid is NASTY  :o   And is way over due after sitting for a year plus...

I have done other MC's - but never really had to worry about paint like I do on the SERK.

I normally use a Mity-Vac - and have been really happy with the Speed Bleeders on my F-150 and on my KLR650...anyone using the speed bleeders?

Suggestions? Hints?

Thanks!

Sean

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Precautions/Suggestions for bleeding brakes?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 10:14:54 PM »

Be careful with the small reservoirs.  A vacuum bleeder used too vigorously can cause splashes at the small reservoirs.

If you're using DOT5 don't do anything but pump it; very slowly.  And be very careful not to shake up the bottle; even a little bit.  DOT5 if agitated much at all will entrain air within the fluid.  If this happens, even a little bit, it becomes a total bi*ch to bleed.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 11:43:48 PM »

What do you all do to ensure that brake fluid does not hit the paint?

Gotta bleed the SERK2 brakes, the fluid is NASTY  :o   And is way over due after sitting for a year plus...

I have done other MC's - but never really had to worry about paint like I do on the SERK.

I normally use a Mity-Vac - and have been really happy with the Speed Bleeders on my F-150 and on my KLR650...anyone using the speed bleeders?

Suggestions? Hints?

Thanks!

Sean

I use speed bleeders.  Bought them at Millers in Daytona.  Attached to those is a plastic tube, and each tube is attached to a large syringe.  Syringe is closed, and as fluid is bled, it opens.  Easier than trying to use a can to drain the brake fluid into, and further minimizes any air return at the time time. 

I usually bleed one side at a time.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Diesel Dragon

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 08:52:24 PM »

I'm not positive but I think DOT 5 fluid is silicone based and is not supposed to harm paint like dot 3 and 4 does.

But be careful anyway   ;D

DD

A threesome is not really cheating, the 2 girls cancel each other out :)

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it's limits

08 SE Ultra
03 Fatboy

Sean M Cary

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 08:59:06 PM »

I'm not positive but I think DOT 5 fluid is silicone based and is not supposed to harm paint like dot 3 and 4 does.

DD

I have read that it does not...news to me.  I have also found that it is a PIA to FIND!  Scored two bottles today on my way home at the Yamaha dealer, Bel-Ray brand.

Sean

old wrench

• Full CVO Member
  • You gota make this work together to get there fast

• CVO1: 2008 FSXTSSE2 Orange
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 08:13:17 AM »

I have read that it does not...news to me.  I have also found that it is a PIA to FIND!  Scored two bottles today on my way home at the Yamaha dealer, Bel-Ray brand.

Sean
You going to put it on your paint and see if it does  :nervous:  :huepfenlol2:

Sean M Cary

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 11:17:32 AM »

You going to put it on your paint and see if it does  :nervous:  :huepfenlol2:

Bled em last night with my mity-vac and I had towels and coverings over every inch of exposed paint...  No WAY I was testing that theory.

Could not get to a good "feel" - they are not spongy but the brakes are catching like an inch or so off the grips... 

The pads look good, going to re-bleed left to right and try again tonight.  The master cylinder had some serious funk in it...cloudy/milky looking from sitting I guess.  Going to pick up a 60cc syringe and try a reverse bleed, heard it works better then the other methods with the DOT 5.

Love doing this.

Sean

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 11:29:44 AM »

FM,
Were the brakes good before the bleed?  I had an 01 Ultra that the only way I ever got brakes on it was replacing the master cylinder.  Several dealers and myself bled what must have been a couple of gallons of fluid through that POS and NEVER got a decent lever.  Finally swapped out a known good master and voila (that's like tah dah for you jarheads!)  had a great solid brake lever.

2nd Air Cav!
Toujours Pret!
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

Sean M Cary

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 11:48:29 AM »

FM,
Were the brakes good before the bleed?  I had an 01 Ultra that the only way I ever got brakes on it was replacing the master cylinder.  Several dealers and myself bled what must have been a couple of gallons of fluid through that POS and NEVER got a decent lever.  Finally swapped out a known good master and voila (that's like tah dah for you jarheads!)  had a great solid brake lever.

2nd Air Cav!
Toujours Pret!

Unfortunately the last owner/rider isn't around to ask...   :-\ 

It was dad's bike, I got it like this...and he died a month ago, before I got the bike deliverd (ID Transport www.idtransport.com SUCKS, their owner Joe is a pathological liar, stay away from them at all cost...but I digress - that will be another endeavor of mine, soon). 

Asked mom if dad had ever expressed concern about the brakes, and she said he had never mentioned it.

Sean

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 01:26:05 PM »

DD

That's correct.

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2008, 01:27:42 PM »

FM,
My condolences on losing your Dad.  I went through that last year.  It's no fun.  At least you'll be able to ride "with" him on the SERK.

arctic
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2008, 01:32:20 PM »

Bled em last night with my mity-vac and I had towels and coverings over every inch of exposed paint...  No WAY I was testing that theory.

Could not get to a good "feel" - they are not spongy but the brakes are catching like an inch or so off the grips... 

The pads look good, going to re-bleed left to right and try again tonight.  The master cylinder had some serious funk in it...cloudy/milky looking from sitting I guess.  Going to pick up a 60cc syringe and try a reverse bleed, heard it works better then the other methods with the DOT 5.

Love doing this.

Sean

Sean, what you're describing sounds like a pretty typical pedal/lever feel for DOT5 that entrained air.  You poor bastard.

If the syringe will give you enough of a venturi effect for the speed increase to cause any agitation at all that method won't help.  Unfortunately the only thing you can do with DOT5 fluid is pour it very gently, from bottles that have been handled very carefully and pump very slowly.  And if it has entrained air within the fluid you sometimes just have to let it set.  For awhile.

When I got the Road Glide home a couple months ago rebuilt the hydraulics on the wheels and replaced the master cylinders.  While doing that flushed the lines and went back with a synthetic DOT4 just because DOT5 can sometimes be such a pain in the arse.

Sean M Cary

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2008, 04:13:42 PM »

Sean, what you're describing sounds like a pretty typical pedal/lever feel for DOT5 that entrained air.  You poor bastard.

If the syringe will give you enough of a venturi effect for the speed increase to cause any agitation at all that method won't help.  Unfortunately the only thing you can do with DOT5 fluid is pour it very gently, from bottles that have been handled very carefully and pump very slowly.  And if it has entrained air within the fluid you sometimes just have to let it set.  For awhile.

When I got the Road Glide home a couple months ago rebuilt the hydraulics on the wheels and replaced the master cylinders.  While doing that flushed the lines and went back with a synthetic DOT4 just because DOT5 can sometimes be such a pain in the arse.

I Zip Tied the brake lever back last night and left the cover loose - expect to tap the brake lines/banjo fitting when I get home to get the remaining air.

This isn't my daily ride, so I am not pressed for time.  I need to change the fluids and everything else, so I am not in a hurry.

Still love doing this!  :bananarock:

Sean

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2008, 07:53:05 PM »

I Zip Tied the brake lever back last night and left the cover loose - expect to tap the brake lines/banjo fitting when I get home to get the remaining air.

This isn't my daily ride, so I am not pressed for time.  I need to change the fluids and everything else, so I am not in a hurry.

Still love doing this!  :bananarock:

Sean

Maybe, but probably not.  The air that gets in to DOT5 that's been shook up or agitated (even a little) is not air carried along with the fluid.  Not air that might find it's way out by turning a line or a caliper to create a different high spot (for example).  The air that gets in to DOT5 is actually entrained within the fluid.  So it's not a separate bubble to get out.  Letting it set for a day is rarely long enough for the air and the fluid to begin separating if that has happened to it.

If a bottle of fluid has been roughly handled and/or shaken up a bit you can get the air out of the fluid before use but (no, I'm not making this up) putting the fluid in a pan on the stove and heating it up a bit.  I recommend, however, only doing this if you're single and anyone you're dating is not around the kitchen at the time.  If a bottle has been dropped or vigorously shaken for some mistaken or absent minded reason you're just about better off to throw it away and get another.

Sean M Cary

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2008, 09:12:09 PM »

Maybe, but probably not.  The air that gets in to DOT5 that's been shook up or agitated (even a little) is not air carried along with the fluid.  Not air that might find it's way out by turning a line or a caliper to create a different high spot (for example).  The air that gets in to DOT5 is actually entrained within the fluid.  So it's not a separate bubble to get out.  Letting it set for a day is rarely long enough for the air and the fluid to begin separating if that has happened to it.

If a bottle of fluid has been roughly handled and/or shaken up a bit you can get the air out of the fluid before use but (no, I'm not making this up) putting the fluid in a pan on the stove and heating it up a bit.  I recommend, however, only doing this if you're single and anyone you're dating is not around the kitchen at the time.  If a bottle has been dropped or vigorously shaken for some mistaken or absent minded reason you're just about better off to throw it away and get another.

Came home and un zip tied it...not half as bad as it was! 

Had my daughters dance recital rehearsal tonight, no maintenance this evening...more tomorrow.

Sean
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 21 queries.