Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 38

Author Topic: "FXR CHATTER"  (Read 118567 times)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: "FXR CHATTER"
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2008, 08:27:56 PM »

1) Screen Name: 103tHunDer (Hehe!!  First CVO was a 103 and I've been buyin' smaller motors ever since! :o ;D)
2) Given Name: Brian
3) Age: 42 next month
4) Location in the world: Mahomet (East Central), IL
5) FXR Model Owned: "Blue Flame" FXR3
6) Paragraph about how long you have owned your FXR and how you decided to purchase one . . .

I purchased my FXR3 in March of 2008.  I had had a soft spot for the FXR3s since buying my first Harley in late 2001.  I became involved in the local HOG chapter after buying that bike and the wife of a former co-worker of mine had a green FXR3.  I immediately fell in love with the looks of that bike, not really knowing too much of anything about the CVO division of Harley at the time.  The "hot rod" flame job on the tank of that bike was really impressive to a new Harley aficionado!  I never forgot about that bike!

Fast forward to March of 2004 when I joined this site after purchasing my 2004 Screamin' Eagle Electra Glide in October 2003 . . . I quickly became very interested in learning all about the history of CVOs and, in particular, the FXR3 model.  It was here I learned that in addition to that beautiful green model I'd fallen in love with, there was also a very limited production blue version . . . Yes, blue!  Blue, as in the color of my first motorcycle, a Yamaha 400 Special.  Blue, as in the color of my first Harley, a 2002 Electra Glide Classic.  Blue, as in the color of the 1969 Plymouth Road Runner my dad and I restored.  (Get the hint?  I like blue!!!  ;) ;D)

I began watching the "blue flame" FXR3s on eBay and other sites not long afterward, trying to do my best not to do something stupid and actually buy one!  But after about 3 or so years of fighting the urge to add one of these great bikes to the stable, I pulled the trigger on number 804.  I was fortunate to learn of the bike coming up for sale via PM from another member here and will be forever grateful to that person and the seller for an extremely smooth transaction and well-represented bike.

7) What "major" modifications have been done to your bike.

I have actually returned several things back to stock on the bike since taking ownership.  The current list of modifications are as follows:

• Chrome inner primary
  • Alen Ness Big Sucker air cleaner with K&N filter (retained stock air cleaner cover)
  • Vance & Hines Straighshots exhaust
  • Chrome lower belt guard cover
  • Detachable Super Sport windshield

I hope to do some mile motor work in the springtime, such as a cam and (possibly) head work.

Lastly, I just want to say I share in everyone's passion about these great and very unique Harley-Davidson motorcycles.  Someone above mentioned they ride their FXR more than their bagger CVO and I also (with the exception of the mileage to and from the Maggie Valley, NC event in September) put more miles on this bike during this past riding season than either of the other two touring bikes I own.  They are really an amazing ride with a look, sound, feel and mystic all their own! :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 08:29:46 PM by 103tHunDer »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2008, 11:21:26 PM »

Andy (Free) thanks....for explaining the forks....perhaps that is something Howie might find interesting.  Andy it would be great if you had some "original" photos of your bike to put into the "FXR HISTORY" Thread.....but I would imagine you have no "digital" photos since your bike was originally purchased in 1992 before digital cameras....lol.....

Hey Joe, gosh it would be great if you could get your tech buddy that owns the FXR3 interested in visiting us all here at this site.....it would be awesome to all of us to have someone additionally knowledgeable about our FXR's.   Perhaps you can get his e~mail, and send him the link to this website and he can join us here.....that would be awesome.

Brian (103tHunDer) thanks for sharing.....hey did you notice that fxr3joe has another "BLUE FXR3" near him that perhaps you can get the vin# information from?  Brian, you have a "Beautiful" stable of bikes.....and I love that photo, do you have a bigger photo of those I would love to have that photo if you do, you can e~mail it to me and I will put them in my bike photo file......

So now we are up to 11 of us who have posted here.....isn't that awesome....and the conversations are flowing.....fantastic....

Regards,

Tim

« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 11:26:33 PM by FXR2evo99 »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2008, 08:39:48 AM »

HeHe!!! Only 1 off-topic post so far! And it's by a mod!!! Could'a sworn you said to put a link in the thread Tim, which would infer not starting a duplicate thread. Guess Gary's keeping an eye on you now! ::) ;D ;D ;D ;)

Yeah Tim, always loved Storz chit! Really nice fork! Bike looks awesome Andy!!! :2vrolijk_21:

I've been happy with Traxxion. Hot rod suspension with a stock look! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Minglewood

• Junior CVO Member
  • '00 FXR4 (gone); '11 FLTRUSE
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2008, 03:20:50 PM »

we've talked a few times !

Good ta see ya again David !!

Right back atcha Mikey.  I haven't gone anywere (in the ethernet sense).  I commute and tour on the Road Glide and jump on the FXR for the fun of it.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2008, 07:17:20 PM »

HeHe!!! Only 1 off-topic post so far! And it's by a mod!!! Could'a sworn you said to put a link in the thread Tim, which would infer not starting a duplicate thread. Guess Gary's keeping an eye on you now! ::) ;D ;D ;D ;)

Yeah Tim, always loved Storz chit! Really nice fork! Bike looks awesome Andy!!! :2vrolijk_21:

I've been happy with Traxxion. Hot rod suspension with a stock look! ;)

Hoist! 8)
Don't think you can have this...
As for question #1, when you do start the engine discussion create a thread within the "FXR SECTION" of CVOHarley....as we will all get to see what you are doing to your FXR4 as it relates specifically to this bike, and if you like you can create a "link" from here over to the "EVO SECTION" and visa versa that way participation is occuring in both spots....."links" are easy to do and work great for areas of "duplication" at least this is my opinion....lol.

Regards,

Tim
unless there are threads in both sections. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2008, 07:45:43 PM »

Mikey...Hey man; how ya doin? Well....First let me say I apologize for the wait to your questions; been a bit busier than normal.

Now; as far as these bags are concerned.

1. They were given to me by my Bro-law about a year and a half ago.
2. They are made by "Tour Master"
3. Not sure of the cost but I think around $225.00
4. They came with Rain covers that slip over the bags (Never used them though)
5. Thanks for thinking they look kewl; I think they do to; BUT and a big BUT, it took a bit of time and effort to get them to fit to where they looked
    what I thought was half way decent. These particular bags are the larger size of to models Tour Master makes (16"X13"X5"). I had to use tie straps
    to tie them to my frame at the front of the bag to keep them from pooching outwards and also tie straps to the rear turn sigs and they are tight
    butted up to the signals. I use these bags ONLY because they were given to me. I eventually will buy a more suitable set to fit the bike. These are
    nice bags for the money; but, this particular set is too Big and I personally would not recommend them for an FXR4 or any FXR. They were designed
    more for touring bikes in my opinion. As long as I have had the bags they have been sturdy and self supporting without any sag that I have noticed,
    I just wouldn't be this size for the FXR...Maybe the smaller ones possibly. Anyway...I gotta tell you; you have one BAD ASS looking ride there; you
    should be proud  :2vrolijk_21: Best to ya...Blaine

Blaine, Thanks for the response, it was worth the wait !  OK, gotcya on the size, too big.  I'm also more sorta into something like t-bags, or sac or something like that .....but when I saw those bags on your bike I couldn't help but think  ..... for all the traveling that I do ... this would be real nice addition to a t-bag setup....... not that I want a bagger, I don't, but I do take a lot of LONG trips.
I do think they look really GOOD on your bike, you did a REAL NICE job mounting them !!
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2008, 08:50:37 PM »

so what would I like to do to my FXR, that I'm not already planning ........... well, here's a short list

PM chrome brake calipers
chrome master brake cylinder
chrome handlebar switches (turn sigs, horn, starter, etc)
chrome oil lines
chrome engine bolt kit (where did I read about that ..... who has a source ?  Thanks!)
chrome starter
custom chrome billet wild asz wheel set with matching belt pulley and cover
42mm inverted forks

well, that's the short list, I have some others that I think of from time to time

The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2008, 08:55:19 PM »

OH, by the way, if you couldn't tell from my post and wish lists .... I really don't care about keeping the bike stock.  While I do have all the 'take off parts' ....... I am not interested or concerned about resale value.  I'm 61 years old and resale of my FXR really isn't a thing that I think about, care about, am concerned about or need to think about 'cost recovery.  I'm not going to be around 30 years from now when someone is willing to pay a small fortune for a stock FXR4 ......... so for me, at this point in my life, it's about using the bike, riding the bike, enjoying the bike with no regard to the future.   
I think about riding it, what it looks like to me, what it sounds like to me, how it handles ...... in this case, it's all about me and this bike.
I guess I'm just a nut ............
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2008, 09:25:14 PM »

Hehe!!  Mikey, you're not a "nut."  You're just enjoying the bike the way you want to and there's nothing wrong with that! :2vrolijk_21:  Who really knows what the future holds as far as the value of these bikes?  Those that are fortunate enough to own them just need to get out and ride these fantastic machines, whether they enjoy them stock, modified, or anything in-between!

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2008, 10:11:44 AM »

A NUT on his Fxr4........Ain't life great  :2vrolijk_21:

:orange: :mango: :carrot: :pepper:

I like that nut in your picture  :DD
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2008, 10:12:13 AM »

Thanks for all yall's support for the Nut on his FXR4  !!!
The Build -
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2008, 11:58:57 AM »

Thanks for all yall's support for the Nut on his FXR4  !!!

Welcome to the FXR Nut support group Mike!!! ::) ;D ;D ;D

Most here are riders, not collectors! So getting these bikes "just right" for ourselves is the primary goal. No sense in owning a bike that's not perfect for you, while it sits there just waiting to appreciate in value! Much better investments than that! These bikes were made to be ridden! And what better way than to make it the way you want to! Screw the investment! Make it yours!!! And have fun doing it! You won't always get it right the first time either. Just enjoy what it takes til ya get it "just right"! Nuthin better than riding on your very own "dream machine"!!! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2008, 06:11:05 PM »

. . .

Brian, you have a "Beautiful" stable of bikes.....and I love that photo, do you have a bigger photo of those I would love to have that photo if you do, you can e~mail it to me and I will put them in my bike photo file......

. . .

Tim, you've got mail! ;D :2vrolijk_21:

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2008, 10:44:15 AM »

Brian.....

Thanks, the photo is even better when it's enlarged!

Regards,

Tim
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 10:47:41 AM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2008, 10:22:20 AM »

Wake up everyone......I know there are more than 11 of us here using this site, come on guys and gals introduce yourselves..... :pepper:

Hey Brian and Howie did you see there is another Blue FXR3 being offered for sale on EBAY currently, you guys should contact the Seller to get VIN numbers and let him/her know if he/she is unsuccessful at selling it there he/she can introduce it over here.......I will let you guys handle the "BLUE" FXR3 Owners since you guys own them.....lol...

What do I need to start offering Starbuck Gift Cards to everyone for participating.....lol.....uh huh.....

Regards,

Tim
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 38

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 21 queries.