Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Sony Head Unit/Biketronics Install Advice for '01 SERG  (Read 7111 times)

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
Sony Head Unit/Biketronics Install Advice for '01 SERG
« on: February 22, 2009, 08:09:29 AM »

I am pulling the pieces together for a Sony Head Unit install on my 01 SERG.  So far, I have the CDX-GT630UI head unit ($112 at closing Circuit City) and the Hog Tunes speakers.  I am preparing to order the the wiring harness from Biketronics directly ($199) unless anyone knows a less expensive source.  Does anyone have experience on the moisture shield that I hear talked about and it's usefulness?  I believe it just snaps onto the face for bad weather, does it work/worth the $$?

I also understand that the '06 and later RG's have some sort of spacer that the speakers mount on to improve the sound quality of the lower end of the speakers.  Has anyone heard of this and/or have the part number?  Lastly, does anyone have the part number for the speaker covers for an '01 SERG (to mount in the fairing)?  Mine are sun faded and I thought I'd replace those too while I was spending $$.

Any experience/advise on an '01 SERG install like this would also be greatly appreciated (e.g. can the install be done in a day?)

Thanks in advance,

Blue 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 07:33:39 AM by BlueSEI2 »
Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm throttle body, Dewey's Pro-Street ported heads, SE cam plate w/Baisley HP spring, Zipper's pro-taper TC pushrods, S&S Rockers & Boxes, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Corbin, M/C Armor, HarleyGoodies

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member
Re: Sony Head Unit/Biketronics Install Advice for '01 SERG
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 05:46:25 PM »

This is more of a bump than a helpful reply.   If the "moisture shield" you reference is the plastic, press fit piece sold a couple of years ago for $20, it does a good job of keeping the water out while the bike is parked.  Just be careful using it because, as a press fit, it may mar a painted inner fairing.  Frankly, my bike has been drenched more times than I care to remember without apparent effect on the Sony unit over the 3+ years it's been in my bike without use of the shield.  And the moisture shield, at least the one I bought, doesn't stay in the inner fairing while riding.  Whether the cause is vibration or vacuum, or both, it comes out while riding.     

The Biketronics kit also includes a sheet of clear plastic to cover the top of the headunit inside the fairing as a water barrier. 

I don't know of a discounter of the Biketronics equipment. 

Hope you get some help from RG guys.

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 09:59:52 PM »

Thanks Harleypingman for your insights and experience.  I don't have a painted inner fairing but I wouldn't want a cover that pops off while riding.  Great to hear your Sony unit has been trouble-free.

thanks again,

Blue
Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm throttle body, Dewey's Pro-Street ported heads, SE cam plate w/Baisley HP spring, Zipper's pro-taper TC pushrods, S&S Rockers & Boxes, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Corbin, M/C Armor, HarleyGoodies

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 10:31:07 PM »

Yes the 06 up speakers mount slightly different than the 01's. I changed mine this past weekend. The 01 part numbers have been superceeded by the 06 part number. A better mounting setup than the 01 in my opinion.

As for the weather resistance, some sort of protection would be nice in extreme down pours. I made my own cover which I use if I park the bike outside overnight.

Old version.

New Version

In there somewhere is the BT1000 Biketronics adapter.
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 10:34:36 PM »

My cover

2023 CVO Road Glide

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 10:40:24 PM »

Left 77022-98B
Right 77021-98B
2023 CVO Road Glide

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 10:43:24 PM »

New ones

2023 CVO Road Glide

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 11:53:56 AM »

Puzzled.   Great stuff.  Do you happen to have any part numbers for a) the '06 up mounting spacer, b) the speaker covers for the fairing and c) your custom cover  ;D...On the first two at least it makes it easier to order them from Chicago Harley.  thanks very much for the info and pictures.  I am getting excited about getting into this project in a couple of weeks.

Cheers,

Blue

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 06:56:20 PM »

The two part numbers listed earlier are the part numbers for the 06 and up speaker grills. There is no spacer as it is part of the mounting system. The replacement grill assembly and spacer are one and the same.  :)
2023 CVO Road Glide

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 07:29:18 AM »

Puzzled...You Da Man!!!...Sorry - I missed the part numbers with pictures.  Thanks for the confirmation that the spacers are part of the mounting system...

Blue
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 07:34:23 AM by BlueSEI2 »

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 05:32:11 PM »

I've been there, done that! :2vrolijk_21:
2023 CVO Road Glide

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 07:19:02 PM »

Puzzled...You Da Man!!!...Sorry - I missed the part numbers with pictures.  Thanks for the confirmation that the spacers are part of the mounting system...

Blue

Don't feel bad Blue.  Did the same thing on my red one and looked at them three or four times before figuring out the jigsaw puzzle.

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 08:33:36 AM »

Puzzled,

Shucks..I've been caught  8).  Down in Orlando for a college fastpitch tournament with my daughter's team.  Been to a couple of local venues around here.. Pretty quiet.. Lot's of vacancies in the area...not typical...

Cheers,

Randy

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 02:50:50 PM »

Sorry for the delay in updating this thread but the install of the CDX-GT630IU Sony head unit, Hog Tunes speakers AND newer style speaker grills on my FLTRSEI2 went without a hitch.  The Biketronics kit is very straight forward and the sound difference is truly amazing.  I've probably logged 1500+ miles since the install (dry and quite a bit of rain) and it has worked flawlessly.  This is a conversion that I would recommend.  

The only problem I notice (which makes sense when you think about it) is that I need to change the angle of the unit just slightly to see the display better during sunny days.  For example, if I raise up about six inches out of the seat, the display is clearly more visable even in the direct sunlight then when seated in the saddle.  No problem with this at all at dusk and at night.  If this were installed in a car, you would be looking down at the unit at a steeper degree than on the bike.  

There are four bolts holding the unit in so I'm guessing removing the back two and somehow elongating the holes to give me a 5% or so shift I need is the most simplistic fix.  If anyone else has run across this and solved it in a simplier manner, please advise.  

Oh while writing this I did have one other post install issue.  I had a bit of a rattle with the unit's face plate against the inside of the fairing and did the following.  I rolled up two small pieces of good electrical tape inside out so that the sticky sides was on the outside and placed them carefully inside the left and ride sides of the face plate between the face plate and fairing.  I also shimmed the face plate from the back with thin plastic (maybe 1/16" strips) to take up the gap between the two mounting plates and the face plate and solved the rattle - I suspect for good since I've logged over 1400 miles since and no more rattles.  

Cheers,

Blue  
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 07:30:29 AM by BlueSEI2 »

09S/E roadglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • lead, follow or get out of the way !

• CVO1: 09 S/E roadglide org. and black
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 06:44:40 PM »

can you control your Ipod with the bar controls and that radio? thats exactly what I wanted to do, except add an amp to it. Thx Rick :2vrolijk_21:
a.k.a  Dent Dude
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 21 queries.