Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Auxiliary Switched ZUMO Cable  (Read 9835 times)

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Auxiliary Switched ZUMO Cable
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2009, 07:35:19 AM »

Further, since you are the designer and manufacturer of this device, you might want to contact Naitram via Private Message and see if he can set you up as a vendor.

I'm still up in the air about advertising as a vendor on sites. I have my web page to refer people to if they are interested for information. It is not a .com site so you would not find it on a search. I started all this about 6 months ago and did not know how many people would want one of the cables. I'm retired and make them up in my basement. If I'm not careful this thing could get out of hand and I could find myself working again. LOL

Jim
Ride It Like You Are Retired

woode

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Anniversary FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO2: (Retired) Ruby Red FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2009, 01:09:01 AM »

This sounds like a good solution to having two headsets in my helmet!  Here are my concerns:

1.  Would this void the warranty on the electrical system?
2.  Can this be done by the average boob?  I've managed to do a few simple mods (like the George Anderson TP relocator), but I'm the kind of guy that inevitably strips the threads off of bolts and other such side effects.  I would hate to ruin my beautiful, mortgaged bike just to be able to answer a phone call.  It looks complicated in the photos, what with the batwing stripped naked with all of its guts hanging out.
3.  Will I be sorry to be losing my Auxiliary switch?  What might I want/need to use it for in the future?

Any thoughts from the CVO brain trust?

Ed

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2009, 05:49:56 AM »

1.   Anything you do to a bike can be used as an excuse by the service people to void your warranty. Will it?    Probable not since they would have to prove the modification was responsible for the failure of a part.

2.   Most people would be able to handle this mod as the directions I think are easy to follow and they come with color pictures. Now that being said mistakes can always happen and it’s a good idea to have help if you’re the type of person that tries to loosen a bolt by turning it clockwise. I know of service techs that get it wrong because they think they know more then the person who put the directions together and choose to ignore them or they just plain don’t follow the directions.

3.   The Auxiliary Switch is used for things such as extra lights and probable other things. If you don’t want to loose your Auxiliary Switch get the model that comes with its own switch. The draw back with that is that you have to drill a hole and mount the switch.

Jim

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2009, 11:43:56 PM »

Jim,

Thanks for the information.  I really would like to do this, but I worry about the unknown.  Your instructions presume a certail level of knowledge - like taking apart the fairing.  I wouldn't have a clue & would be afraid that I would ruin it in the process.

Should I be afraid?

Ed

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2009, 06:30:56 AM »

If you have not done so already download the direction at:
 http://home.comcast.net/~jbissonette1/site/

Scroll down you will find the directions under the pictures in Yellow. Take a look at them and determine for yourself if it's a project that is within your abilities.

Taking the fairind apart is no big deal if you have the maintenance manual but even if you don't all it requires is that you remove the headlight, remove a few screws under the light, remove the windshield by removing the 3 screws in front of the shield and removing 4 other scews holding the front of the fairing on. I usually loosen the passing lights and drop them out of the way.

Having a friend with some ability helping makes things easier.

Doing anything requires some know how and certain abilities, if you think it's best to leave it alone then don't do it, find someone who can help.

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2009, 12:23:44 AM »

I'm happy to report that I've successfully installed this modification without destroying the bike.  It did, however, take all day to do it, because every step was a learning experience.  I was able to remove the fairing without destroying it, locate the correct cables on the harness, and make all of the right connections.  Some observations...

* There was very little slack cable on  the harness to work with, so not much room for error
* I should have practiced my soldering techniques before applying them to the harness.  Very sloppy.
* There ain't a lot of space under the fairing, so the wiring bundles have to be arranged well for the fairing to be replaced without crimping.

After all connections were made, and before the bike was reassembled, I tried making a call from the garage.  My wife could barely hear me.  So, it was too late to do anything else, so I put everything back together.  I tried again, and she could actually hear and understand me.  So, with my spirits bolstered, I made a test from the road at neighborhood speeds, and she claimed to hear me well.  The next day, I tried again from the garage, and again - she heard me faintly.  But, then I fired up the bike, and called her at 75 MPH, and she heard me well - in fact I was speaking to her in a normal conversational voice.  I'm not sure why it works better with the engine running, but that's when I need it to work anyway.  So, I'm considering it a success, and I'm officially dumping my bluetooth headset.

Ed

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2009, 06:11:06 AM »

Like I said in my email to you this morning Ed, I think that you have a bad connection with the cell tower when you are in the garage. That's the only thing that makes sense to me.  :nixweiss:

I am happy   :apple:  if you are happy  :pineapple:  and you now have the experience and know how to remove the fairing if you ever want to.  :bananarock:

Jim

REGGAB

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2009, 06:30:43 AM »

I'm happy to report that I've successfully installed this modification without destroying the bike.  It did, however, take all day to do it, because every step was a learning experience.  I was able to remove the fairing without destroying it, locate the correct cables on the harness, and make all of the right connections.  Some observations...

* There was very little slack cable on  the harness to work with, so not much room for error
* I should have practiced my soldering techniques before applying them to the harness.  Very sloppy.
* There ain't a lot of space under the fairing, so the wiring bundles have to be arranged well for the fairing to be replaced without crimping.

After all connections were made, and before the bike was reassembled, I tried making a call from the garage.  My wife could barely hear me.  So, it was too late to do anything else, so I put everything back together.  I tried again, and she could actually hear and understand me.  So, with my spirits bolstered, I made a test from the road at neighborhood speeds, and she claimed to hear me well.  The next day, I tried again from the garage, and again - she heard me faintly.  But, then I fired up the bike, and called her at 75 MPH, and she heard me well - in fact I was speaking to her in a normal conversational voice.  I'm not sure why it works better with the engine running, but that's when I need it to work anyway.  So, I'm considering it a success, and I'm officially dumping my bluetooth headset.

Ed

Congratulations, Ed!  Way to go!  It really isn't difficult at all, is it.  Great so see you did not let the task intimidate you and that you were able to get it done with acceptable results.  That has got to feel great to ya Man.  Awesome.   :2vrolijk_21:

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2009, 12:16:40 AM »

Congratulations, Ed!  Way to go!  It really isn't difficult at all, is it.  Great so see you did not let the task intimidate you and that you were able to get it done with acceptable results.  That has got to feel great to ya Man.  Awesome.   :2vrolijk_21:

Getting ready to try one of these and Jim's sites state he no longer is selling due to legal issues. Whats going on with that?

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2009, 12:19:11 AM »

Like I said in my email to you this morning Ed, I think that you have a bad connection with the cell tower when you are in the garage. That's the only thing that makes sense to me.  :nixweiss:

I am Happy  :apple:  if you are happy  :pineapple:  and you now have the experience and know how to remove the fairing if you ever want to.  :bananarock:

Jim

Jim,,

Just curious, who is the company that thinks you are infringing?

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2009, 07:18:36 AM »

I can’t mention the company as we are still talking. I know they do not own electronic circuitry and that is what they are contending, that a part of the circuit in the new hands free design is similar to theirs. Well I have news for them….You can find parts in a Ford that are similar to parts in a Chevy….   :nixweiss:  What the H#&&!

If I don’t hear something this week I’m going to offer the old design that uses the Auxiliary Switch on my web site and see what happens.

Jim

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2009, 07:37:30 AM »

I can’t mention the company as we are still talking. I know they do not own electronic circuitry and that is what they are contending, that a part of the circuit in the new hands free design is similar to theirs. Well I have news for them….You can find parts in a Ford that are similar to parts in a Chevy….   :nixweiss:  What the H#&&!

If I don’t hear something this week I’m going to offer the old design that uses the Auxiliary Switch on my web site and see what happens.

Jim

Jim,

Just looked at your website to see what everyone is talking about.  What is the product being contested?  On your website, you say it is the "new hands free cable."  Should I have waited before cutting into my wiring harness for the Auxiliary switch cable?  How do the products differ?  I don't recall seeing a different product when I ordered in March (other than one that required cutting a hole in the fairing for an on/off switch).  How does this new one differ?

Ed

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2009, 09:11:52 AM »

The new design was not available when you ordered. I was working on another design because some people were having issues with a sensitive microphone. This issue was due to the type of cell phone they have. Some cell phones with Bluetooth technology have very poor quality (not all cell phones are created equal) and I designed a new circuit that helped with this problem. The new design incorporated a tuning screw and some electronic circuitry which basically allowed the user to adjust the volume of the stock microphone and reduced the signal to the Zumo's microphone input. By doing this the cell phone’s Bluetooth was able to deliver a clearer speech pattern to the caller. I won’t go into how this was done as that is the issue being debated at present.  I really should not have even tried this solution as I was trying to improve the quality of poor Bluetooth circuits employed by some cell phone manufactures so the user did not have to go out and buy a better phone.

It differed in that you did not have to use the Auxiliary Switch or drill a hole as the other two designs I had. No switch, just answer the call and talk, it also allowed the passenger to hear the conversation.

A better mouse trap so to speak, but it looks like I will have to drop it because I really do not have the money to fight this, I already spent more then I wanted on this. I’m not getting rich on this in the first place and I have already spent all the money I have made on these cables plus some of my own. Being retired I simply can’t afford it.

How they found out about it is another thing....I think I know but I better keep it to myself or I may end up being sued as I can not prove it.

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2009, 09:15:46 AM »

Too bad since it sounded perfect for what I wanted which is that the BSR could use the phone if needed.

/Bill

The new design was not available when you ordered. I was working on another design because some people were having issues with a sensitive microphone. This issue was due to the type of cell phone they have. Some cell phones with Bluetooth technology have very poor quality (not all cell phones are created equal) and I designed a new circuit that helped with this problem. The new design incorporated a tuning screw and some electronic circuitry which basically allowed the user to adjust the volume of the stock microphone and reduced the signal to the Zumo's microphone input. By doing this the cell phone’s Bluetooth was able to deliver a clearer speech pattern to the caller. I won’t go into how this was done as that is the issue being debated at present.  I really should not have even tried this solution as I was trying to improve the quality of poor Bluetooth circuits employed by some cell phone manufactures so the user did not have to go out and buy a better phone.

It differed in that you did not have to use the Auxiliary Switch or drill a hole as the other two designs I had. No switch, just answer the call and talk, it also allowed the passenger to hear the conversation.

A better mouse trap so to speak, but it looks like I will have to drop it because I really do not have the money to fight this, I already spent more then I wanted on this. I’m not getting rich on this in the first place and I have already spent all the money I have made on these cables plus some of my own. Being retired I simply can’t afford it.

How they found out about it is another thing....I think I know but I better keep it to myself or I may end up being sued as I can not prove it.

Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

woode

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2009, 09:49:36 AM »

The new design was not available ...

Well, it would have been nice to not dedicate the Aux switch for this, but that said, it works, and seems to work well so far.  So, no regrets.

I have found one issue, however, that I think may be related to the install.  I bought a Harley-compatible headset for my wife - IMC Motorcom (HS-30H, I believe).  It was half the cost of the H-D headset, and sounded better in the passenger connection.  So, I tried it in the rider connection to see if I wanted to use it instead of the H-D headset, and it had horrible noise & static.  Since the H-D headset was fine, and the IMC worked OK on the rear connector, I can only assume that it was the mod that was the culprit.  Any ideas?

Ed
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 22 queries.